[Tip of the day] Tempo map from rotten audio file

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

[Tip of the day] Tempo map from rotten audio file

Postby HowlingUlf » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:40 pm

I'm a little impressed what Cubase can do today! 8-)

I have this old cassette-recording I wanted to "snatch" the guitar solo from, because it's worth a better fate.
It's just me and a friend but I had this plan for ages to rerecord the silly song and the solo has to be note for note perfect so ... haha! I brought it onto myself :mrgreen:
I want to do it as exact as possible so I need to practice a little and I needed to loop a section at a time.
I thought I just use the tempo detection thingie but alas the tape was just a mess!!!
All bass and thunder synth pads and heavy guitars and almost no drums ... very old tape ... VERY OLD!
what to do?
I have tried this before but this seemed to be to far gone but it's worth a try.
What I did was I had the original audio track and then I duplicated it and muted the original.
Then I proceeded to heavily EQ the copy track to get rid all the noises that distracted Cubase while detecting the tempo.
I ended up with a "curve from hell" with two sharp peeks, on around 100hz and the other at 5kHz.
The rest of the curve was lying flat at the bottom almost of the window and the sound was HORRID!!!
*pf tz pf tz pf tz pf tz pf tz pf tz * but that's what I was after.
Then I used the tempo detection tool and ... voilà!!! IT WORKED! 8-) :lol:

I unmuted the original track and muted the EQed copy and now I have a workable tempotrack.
I can loop any bar and practice all I want until I have it down exactly as I want it.
Mission accomplished!
Gothenburg, Sweden
Cubase 7.5 32 | Intel i7 860 | 8GB | Win7 64 | Emu 1820M | BCR2000 | MPD16 via MIDI
and a few cables ... and some more stuff ... and even more than that, would you believe it ?!!?
HowlingUlf

Re: [Tip of the day] Tempo map from rotten audio file

Postby G-string » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:46 pm

great tip sir , love it !
I7 3770k - win7 64 bit - C7.5.20 - WL8e - Halion 5 - Padshop pro - Cmc - Midex 8 - Uad - Rme FF/ADi8pro - Automap 4.7.3 b
G-string

Postby curteye » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:34 am

+1
and a major Mahalo!
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mac Pro w/3 4k monitors.
On-line in Jan 2015

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby swamptone » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:49 pm

I take it the track is NOT prog rock with time-signature changes every other measure? ;)

Cool trick, thanks for sharing! 8-)
formerly known as prism
swamptone

Postby HowlingUlf » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:15 pm

swamptone wrote:I take it the track is NOT prog rock with time-signature changes every other measure? ;)

Cool trick, thanks for sharing! 8-)

That's funny because everything else about the song is kinda proggy except the s l o w 55bpm tempo and the 4/4 time. It's a backdrop to my friends dreamy poem so it had to conform to the context. Most other songs of that era had at least some sections with odd time signatures and tempo changes, but not that one haha! :lol:
Gothenburg, Sweden
Cubase 7.5 32 | Intel i7 860 | 8GB | Win7 64 | Emu 1820M | BCR2000 | MPD16 via MIDI
and a few cables ... and some more stuff ... and even more than that, would you believe it ?!!?
HowlingUlf

Return to Steinberg Lounge