this'll change everything 14 nov

iā€™ll up load a photo of this new mod in a min in the studio picks cj , itā€™s changed quite abit :wink: OH sorry am I off topic ??? really donā€™t care to be honest , more Icrap poop , im never buying into that crap so it looks like me and Steinberg stay as is now , you not having one more penny out of me . what a waste of time and now is C7 going to take a back step and left to rot ??? VERY UNIMPRESSED

HaHAHAHA :laughing: :laughing: robert deniro your career as an actor is being seriously at risk after this vst connect movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EwDmNe7SlI

i"ll be Back :sunglasses:

itā€™s kind of weird movie isnt it ?

I simply love video. I canā€™t stop laughing:D

Hmm, this VST Connect Pro may actually change things for those who will use it. I donā€™t see myself using it though, it is easier to send one track or stems to the other side.
Iā€™m glad they didnā€™t use this as part of C7.5 update, put some bug fixes next to it and charge upgrade price for it. Let it be separate, and let it be expensive, and let those who find use of it pay fair price.

the only thing this changed is where my pennies were going to be spent ā€¦Cheers Steinberg , two new modules for the modular it was :wink:

Certainly no one will get an Oscar for the rather ridiculous video. :laughing:

ā€¦and it was not really fair. Of course, comparing a cheap saxophone sample and the worst GM drums available to a real saxophone and a real drumkit makes a great difference.

However, I would prefer my BFD 3 over almost any real drum recording nowadays, because itā€™s like a single microphone preamp they used to record the content costs more than all the hardware most studios have combined (or something like that).

And there ARE good saxophone samples out there. :wink:

The most interesting use case would be for instruments one will never be able to use properly in a sampled fashion: guitars, vocals. Everything else can be sampled, but when I see what guitarists, for example, do with their instruments, I guess there is not even a keyboard with enough space for all the keyswitches necessary to even do what a below - average, typical drunk garage 60s / 70s cover band guitarist can do.

But not drums, seriouslyā€¦ since BFD 2, sampled drums are perfect. Itā€™s all about content variety and workflow now.

I would have shown the guy playing an electronic drumkit (MIDI) via Internet, triggering BFD 3 kit pieces on the otherside. That would be the other use case, besides guitars and basses, I would be interested in.

For me it will be a Casiotone 7000, if I can find one. And Iā€™m serious here. :sunglasses:

Bingo. Sounds like I wasnā€™t the only one thinking that. :sunglasses:

Right on!

Right!

How many people here know what it was like having to dial people into a session using ISDN?

Granted, I havenā€™t used ISDN in years and instead have a VOIP system that gets tied into the main rig for my cross-country producers that I have to dial into V.O. sessions. There are always glitches in the audio stream. We all just accept it and just wind back to preview the work again. Even after the all the V.O. work is completed for an episode or few, 99% of the time there are always pickups that have to be done in another session date.

Heck, if I can offer a producer a high quality stream for coaching the talent, Iā€™m in, and I am sure they will be too. The cost is peanuts. I may lose work as a result if this leads to less pickups due to the higher quality feed. The only competing service out there is ā€œcallinstudioā€ but you have to tandem a video feed from something else.

Tandem

ā€¦ thereby confessing to not even trying to see the intention of the video. You need somebody to point out to you it was just an example? The MIDI sax lines were there as guides for the meat and blood saxophonists to know the lines the composer had in mind and then humanize the lines with real saxes. The idea of the video is to get the idea to get ideas of your own. Not compare the sound quality of the example material. Cheezeus, what more donā€™t you understand in life??? Your only intention is obviously to hate on Steinberg :open_mouth: :laughing:

If you donā€™t like it, donā€™t need it, wonā€™t use it ā€¦ donā€™t buy it! :bulb:

Reading through this thread this product is succeeding at getting people angry :slight_smile: not bad value for 199 :mrgreen:

meanwhile ā€¦

The world is my studio.

Yes, I see the intention of the video and understand the point they are trying to convey. The observation was that using a GM MIDI sax against a legit sax recording can hardly be called a fair quality comparison test and is quite simply irrelevant.

I donā€™t think anyone of enough intelligence to use the software needs a ā€œquality comparisonā€ between GM MIDI and audio. Iā€™m not mad, just pointing out that itā€™s a structurally weak marketing point for the video. And no, I will not be buying it for the record.

Aloha guys. Just to chime in.

+1

Thatā€™s what this whole thing is about.

ā€œSteve Vai and Herbie Hanc0ck came to my bedroom and played on a track for meā€.

1-Imagine if your client was willing to pay $$ for
George Benson (from his home laptop) to play over the sketch guit part you wrote
or Steve Gadd play over your basic drum groove etc.

2-Or you are a classical pianist and now you actually playing/recording
that million $ piano in Veinna or Paris or New York etc
(in your housecoat and underware at 4am) :slight_smile: via MIDI.

To create an outline of a song and get some of the greatest
musicians in the world (or nice players/friends you know) to do the actual playing on it is IMHO
truly a game changer.

And while I totally agree with ā€˜TheNavigatorā€™

I would prefer my BFD 3 over almost any real drum recording nowadays

The ā€˜soundsā€™ are there yes but how good is our performance using this tech
compared with a pro studio drummer?
Those lil tiny nuances canā€™t alway be done with tech alone.

That being said;
to get a Steve Gadd/Alan Morgen to play your BFD drums on a track
would be the best of both worlds and now it is not only
possible but also (if this all works as planned) very easy to set-up
and operate.

Of course all licensing and $$ issues would have to be negotiated first but
imagine being able to say:
ā€˜Iā€™ve got a session scheduled with Leo Kottke and B.B. King coming upā€™.
And really mean it. :slight_smile:

And the door is now wide open for ā€˜voxā€™sā€™.

So many of us create great work but canā€™t sing very well (or at all).
I can imagine a ā€˜data baseā€™ of singers all around the world
waiting and willing to give our work a go.
Kinda like a plug-in; if you donā€™t like that one, just try another one.

One question thoā€™.
Does/can the client version show any notation/scoring info on that end?
So players can read from a manuscript/chart.

Future looks bright. To use or not to use. At least we now have even more options.
Iā€™m giving George a call :slight_smile:
{ā€˜-ā€™}

I agree that some are missing the point. It is not about the quality of the sound. It is about replacing an IDEA (sketched out in MIDI) with an actual recording by an artist FROM A REMOTE LOCATION.
That performer does not even need to own Cubase (I think). All they need (I think) is the free ā€œperformerā€ application. They hear your basic song and then add a living breathing performance.
I think the latency over the internet is only a concern if you were trying to record from two different locations at once. If you are only recording at one location, you could be 30 seconds late at the mixing desk because all you are doing is recording the performance and replacing your MIDI track with it. So you turn your MIDI idea into a song with real instrument recordings one performer at a time from multiple locations. Not unlike simply sending them your project and letting them replace the MIDI and then send it back, but they donā€™t need Cubase at all.

Anyway, I do think it is a good idea for collaborations. If all the collaborating performers use Cubase then it doesnā€™t do too much other than save the hassle of sending the projects back and forth. Probably not something I would use, personally.

Lastly, I will agree that the video it quite funny. The tones of their voices and interaction reminds me of two ladies on a PBS talk show about flowers or pastries. Remember the NPR Delicious Dish skits on SNL with Ana Gasteyer and Molly Shannon? It does a fair job of describing what VST Connect is designed to do, however.

+1

The one with the thick accent getā€™s a lil hard to understand at times but you sure get his ā€˜toneā€™.
This guy is serious about this stuff. Right on!
Worth listening to a couple of times for sure.

{ā€˜-ā€™}

Yes, thats also how I see it.

The marketing department created something for a naive audience, not for semiprofessionals and professionals. We know that we can create a terrible GM sax line like this in, hm, 15 seconds and make it sound nice by having a proper sax player play it (or semi-nice by using a good sample / physical modellingā€¦ the KORG MOSS board is really good at such things).

But it is hilarious to watch. Especially with the disclaimer about how mispronounciation of the English language is not intentional. :laughing:

As I understand it Vst connect pro sends a compressed sound from location to cubase 7. Best quality is 356 kb/s. When the producer is satisfied he or she recieves the raw wave files from the location which is stored at the location computer. . Pretty clever solution.

Of course all licensing and $$ issues would have to be negotiated first but
imagine being able to say:
ā€˜Iā€™ve got a session scheduled with Leo Kottke and B.B. King coming upā€™.
And really mean it. > :slight_smile:

And the door is now wide open for ā€˜voxā€™sā€™.

So many of us create great work but canā€™t sing very well (or at all).
I can imagine a ā€˜data baseā€™ of singers all around the world
waiting and willing to give our work a go.
Kinda like a plug-in; if you donā€™t like that one, just try another one.

He gets it :slight_smile:

The latency involved with anything but a LAN would seem to be too much for true real-time collaborative tracking, as opposed to tracking remotely to a locally sourced playback.

Where I see this REALLY being a deal-changer is for hobby/small studios (or where the bedroom has overflowed into the loungeroom!), where the mixing/control room is separate from the studio(s), because ALL communications, including HD audio and video, can use a SINGLE Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) cable.

Drums and amps in separate, dedicated rooms, but all part of the same session, enabling visual synergy with audio isolation.

Of course, the studio computers have to be silent (home theatre PC?) and have their own audio hardware, but simple two in/two out devices may suffice for solo vocalist/instrumentalists. The Dante audio system has shown that large numbers of HD audio channels can be handled over Ethernet with around 1ms latency.

No more multi-core runs between rooms! And cheap GbE LAN hardware (switches) can be used.

The studio PCs could also be used for show a window for cue sheets or lyrics.