Recommended hardware?

All topics on Cubase iC Air

Recommended hardware?

Postby TheNavigator » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:42 pm

Ok, this is amazing. Just saw the video, there must have been a genius at work. :)

Question remains:

What hardware should I get, I'm a bit confused now... Leap Motion controller? Or is a depth camera better? If so - which one?
Chris, The Navigator... Keyboards, songwriting, CTO and aspiring coproducer for Visions of Atlantis.

PC watercooling and overclocking afficionado.

Main device: Cubase 7.5 64 bit on Windows 8.1 (4930k @ 4.1 GHz, 32 GB of RAM, 3 SSDs), Halion 5, Padshop Pro, RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface, Avid Artist Control V2, Roland A88, AKG K701 headphones, lots of other nice stuff
Mobile cutlery: iPad Air 2, Cubasis (always the latest version), Audio Bus 2, Focusrite iTrack Dock, one or the other cheap USB MIDI keyboards

Favorite synthesizers: u-he DIVA, Padshop Pro, Halion 5

"Storms can't kill the faith in rainbows"
TheNavigator

Re: Recommended hardware?

Postby Armand Rochette » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:17 pm

Hi,

Cubase iC Air is compatible with both the Leap Motion controller and any depth-camera supporting the Intel® Perceptual Computing Technology (cf. Intel's FAQ)

Nevertheless you have to download a different installer for each of them.

Cheers!
Software Engineer
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
Armand Rochette

Postby TheNavigator » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:18 pm

I know.

But which one is better? And which camera would you recommend?
Chris, The Navigator... Keyboards, songwriting, CTO and aspiring coproducer for Visions of Atlantis.

PC watercooling and overclocking afficionado.

Main device: Cubase 7.5 64 bit on Windows 8.1 (4930k @ 4.1 GHz, 32 GB of RAM, 3 SSDs), Halion 5, Padshop Pro, RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface, Avid Artist Control V2, Roland A88, AKG K701 headphones, lots of other nice stuff
Mobile cutlery: iPad Air 2, Cubasis (always the latest version), Audio Bus 2, Focusrite iTrack Dock, one or the other cheap USB MIDI keyboards

Favorite synthesizers: u-he DIVA, Padshop Pro, Halion 5

"Storms can't kill the faith in rainbows"
TheNavigator

Postby Armand Rochette » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:29 pm

Cubase iC air is equally reliable with both of them.

However they also come with a subtle difference.
In fact, The Leap Motion controller is based on an upward detection whereas -as far as I know- every camera compatible with Intel® Perceptual Computing Technology is based on frontward detection so far.
It changes the usability, there are pros and cons but it's more a matter of what every user's personal flavour is then.

I suggest to check out both technologies on the Internet to make up your mind and to wait for our tutorial videos that will cover both of them (coming very soon).

Cheers,
Software Engineer
Hamburg, Germany
Armand Rochette

Postby Tech-dance » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:54 pm

Looks great but seriously, are we expected to buy this camera in order to test out your software? If not, what's the gig here? Why is this on the front page of Steinberg.net? How many people have these cameras and how are they obtained?
Tech-dance

Postby jaslan » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:50 am

Tech-dance wrote:Looks great but seriously, are we expected to buy this camera in order to test out your software? If not, what's the gig here? Why is this on the front page of Steinberg.net? How many people have these cameras and how are they obtained?

I don't get this. There is a hardware technology available. Steinberg has offered a FREE plug-in to allow us to make use of it in Cubase. It almost sounds like your angry at them for doing so...
BTW, both cameras are available on Amazon.com.
Core-i7 2820QM, 16GB RAM. Cubase 6.5.5 x64 on Windows 7. Scarlett 2i2. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Komplete 8. HALion 5. Jamstix 3.5. HSO VST Sound Set. Absolute VST+. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud
jaslan

Postby MauroStudio » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:38 am

I bought a leap motion 6 month before it come out because I wanted to try to use it with Cubase... soon I discovered that the pointing device software it was not reliable and nowhere near accurate any for any usage with Cubase.
I disconnected it and never use it again.
Tonight I tried with Ic Air and although there is still a long way to go before it becomes a really useful tool, I have to say is pretty cool...
Some of the gesture are not recognize easily and the tracking of the motion is a little scattered still... I hope that future updates from both Cubase and Leap will make this great idea usable in a professional context.
Thank you for your work..... please let me get rid of my mouse and keyboard as soon as possible!!!!!!!!
Mauro
MauroStudio

Postby sming » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:38 am

TheNavigator wrote:I know.

But which one is better? And which camera would you recommend?

Hi TheNavigator,

Thanks for your interest in iC Air.

Well, as pointed out by my colleague Armand, both are equally well for Cubase with subtle differences. Technically, the same feature set is available for both devices. So, this is more or less similar to whether to get a PC or a Mac.

Anyway, our recommendation is that, try to look for the things that you can benefit from the device apart from controlling Cubase. Simply put, how would you use the device apart from iC Air?
Both offer great but rather different experience and features. So, do try to get a general picture of the device and its potential long term use that suits you, and you decide ;-) ok?

Hope that this info helps!
cheers,
SMing

Software Research Developer
Hamburg, Germany
sming
Steinberg Employee

Postby sming » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:57 am

MauroStudio wrote:I bought a leap motion 6 month before it come out because I wanted to try to use it with Cubase... soon I discovered that the pointing device software it was not reliable and nowhere near accurate any for any usage with Cubase.
I disconnected it and never use it again.
Tonight I tried with Ic Air and although there is still a long way to go before it becomes a really useful tool, I have to say is pretty cool...
Some of the gesture are not recognize easily and the tracking of the motion is a little scattered still... I hope that future updates from both Cubase and Leap will make this great idea usable in a professional context.
Thank you for your work..... please let me get rid of my mouse and keyboard as soon as possible!!!!!!!!
Mauro

Hi Mauro,

Thanks for sharing your experience. We are glad that we have offered the possibilities for you to bring your device back to life ;-)

Some tips for you, once you crossed the "adaptation" period of getting used to the available gesture controls, things will be easier thereafter ;-) As for the Leap device, note that you can comfortably pose your gestures diagonally towards the device, which is about 45 degree angle in front of the device as recommended by the Quick Guide illustration. This ensures the optimal detection.

We hope that by offering a more intuitive way of producing music, this can be a fun complement to your existing peripherals like KB and mouse. Thanks for your support.
cheers,
SMing

Software Research Developer
Hamburg, Germany
sming
Steinberg Employee

Postby suntower » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:10 am

Which device works at a longer distance? The In-Depth Camera or Leap Motion?

My concern is to do very simple things: STOP, START, RECORD...for overdubbing. Nothing 'minority report' at all. But it should work from several feet away.

Is one a clear choice for distance use?

TIA.

---JC
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 1TB HD, Win7/64 Ult
Second: Q8400 16gb RAM 3 1TB HD, Win7/64
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase 7.5, iCPro, WL7,
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums
suntower

Postby suntower » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:39 pm

bump? Just looking for which device is best for a good distance.
suntower

Postby plectrumboy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:26 pm

I don't know from direct experience; however reading some of the Leap Motion website I'd guess neither is good for long distance. The Leap Motion talks about a certain volume of space around the controller. My guess is similarly the resolution of a camera-based device will work within a defined distance.

I guess the point might be: why not simply move the controller nearer to you? If you're looking for remote control gestures away from the computer, put the controller on a long usb cable. In these circumstances I would definitely fancy the Leap Motion over the camera, because the Leap Motion can simply be placed on an existing surface, no worries about aiming it towards you in the same way.

Steve.
Core i7 2600K @ 4.3Ghz on Asus Z68-V LX 8Gb running Windows 7 (64 bit), Samsung RF711 laptop 8 Gb running Windows 8.1 (64 bit), 2x UR824, Cubase 7.5.3 (64 bit), Halionsonic 2, The Grand SE3, HSO, Wavelab 8.5.1, Halion 5, BFD3, NI Studio Drummer, Session Horns, Mark 1, Groove Agent 3.02 with jBridge, Groove Agent 4, Stylus RMX, Trillian, VST Connect Pro.
plectrumboy

Postby suntower » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:13 am

Although the software may be free, the cameras definitely are not.

It doesn't inspire confidence when such a basic question can't get a reply.

As another poster remarked, it is not uncommon for SB to release updates which magically 'fix' certain things. icPro did not work for me at all. I gave up and when my iPhone automatically updated the app (I have no idea why on that either) I gave it another go and... it worked. Nothing in the release docs about improvements in networking.

My point is that it's hard to get users on board with any bleeding edge tech... free or not... if there is no involvement from SB. If SB wants to make this work, they should reply to questions like this in a timely manner.

---JC

plectrumboy wrote:I don't know from direct experience; however reading some of the Leap Motion website I'd guess neither is good for long distance. The Leap Motion talks about a certain volume of space around the controller. My guess is similarly the resolution of a camera-based device will work within a defined distance.

I guess the point might be: why not simply move the controller nearer to you? If you're looking for remote control gestures away from the computer, put the controller on a long usb cable. In these circumstances I would definitely fancy the Leap Motion over the camera, because the Leap Motion can simply be placed on an existing surface, no worries about aiming it towards you in the same way.

Steve.
suntower

Return to Cubase iC Air