SOLVED(7.5) Mackie MCU protocol (channel shift doesn't work)

Please use this sub forum to post issues you encounter with Cubase 7
and Cubase Artist 7

SOLVED(7.5) Mackie MCU protocol (channel shift doesn't work)

Postby greggybud » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:28 pm

I'm using a Icon Qcon that uses Mackie protocol so I'm assuming the problem also exists with the Mackie MCU.

The shift 8 tracks button only shifts it by 1 channel instead of 8 channels like it should.

The shift 1 channel doesn't do anything.

Everything was working fine in Cubase 7.
Last edited by greggybud on Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 7 x64, Wavelab 8, Cubase 7.5 x64, i7, 16g, SSD, 4 monitors, iCon QconPro, 4 TB HD, UAD-2, NI, Waves Mercury, and way too many synthesizers.
greggybud

Re: (7.5) Mackie MCU protocol (channel shift doesn't work)

Postby JayAudion » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:48 am

Same here. Bank buttons don't work anymore (shift only 1) and channel does nothing, on my Mackie Control.
I read this post before installing the update, so first I left out the eucon update and updated only C7.5. MCU had this problem. Then I installed the eucon update, but still Mackie Control MCU does not work.

Also : EQ works different, but I like it, bands on and off now with button push.

Setting FX send levels is messed up, now sets send output,
and if you fiddle around with what used to be send, you see the relatively new channel strip inserts flashing by, with no abillity to use them though.

Still no way to assign mixer view configurations to F buttons or fader group buttons

Too bad... when 7 came out mcu users also had to wait I while because it didn't work, and now again they broke it.
Please fix soon Steinberg. Do a nice mcu update so our machine works again. thanks
Cubase 7.0.1 64bit | Cubase 6.5.4 64-bit | and all other on PC down to Atari 1040stfm | Windows 7 64bit | RME Fireface 800 | Intel i7-4770k @4300 on Asus Z87-A 16GB | Mackie Control | Dynaudio BM15A
JayAudion

Postby wolfbeach » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:12 am

+1...

and hi, :) by the way...newcomer here but not with cubase...

Macbook Pro late 2012, UAD Apollo Quad, MCU Pro, Cubase 7.5, Maverick
wolfbeach

Postby Kephas » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:59 pm

It's broken...here'a quick work-around:
Hold the shift button and switch channels pressing 'BANK'. Release shift and 'BANK' is as usual...
Kephas

Postby trashdinner » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:30 pm

Kephas wrote:It's broken...here'a quick work-around:
Hold the shift button and switch channels pressing 'BANK'. Release shift and 'BANK' is as usual...

Thank you for that!!! A couple of things seems to be broken on the MCU on 7.5 so hopefully SB will fix them in next update ... did anybody create a proper issue report?? If we want these fixed somebody should.

Also for the Fader Group Issue, In device setup, create a new generic remote and import the file that I uploaded .... If the project window is in focus, then the Fader group will control the project visibility preset and if the the mixer is in focus, it will control the mixer visibility.

Props to msterna since I used his file and udpated it for 7.5.
Attachments
Fader Groups C7.5 1-8 Mackie Control.rar
(495 Bytes) Downloaded 39 times
trashdinner

Postby greggybud » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:44 pm

trashdinner wrote: did anybody create a proper issue report?? If we want these fixed somebody should.

I thought posting here would be "proper?" If not feel free to do it right!
Windows 7 x64, Wavelab 8, Cubase 7.5 x64, i7, 16g, SSD, 4 monitors, iCon QconPro, 4 TB HD, UAD-2, NI, Waves Mercury, and way too many synthesizers.
greggybud

Postby trashdinner » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:51 pm

oops my bad .... for some reason I thought this thread was in general :roll:

I guess you don't need repro steps since it's pretty much self explanatory.
trashdinner

Postby cmaffia » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:13 pm

Using Tascam dm3200 with Mackie protocol..no issues with banks
Tascam DM3200 - IF-FW/DMMKII - IF-AN/DM - Tascam DA-3000 Mastering Recorder - Cubase 7.5.20 32/64-Bit - i7-3770, 3.4GHz Quad Core - 8GB RAM - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 - UAD-2 Solo - UAD-2 Duo - Steinberg CC121 - Frontier Tranzport - Wavelab 8.03 32/64-Bit

Hear the collection: Maffia & Montano
cmaffia

Postby HughH » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:48 pm

JayAudion wrote:Too bad... when 7 came out mcu users also had to wait I while because it didn't work, and now again they broke it.
Please fix soon Steinberg. Do a nice mcu update so our machine works again. thanks

I'm shocked at this thread!
MCU implementation is SO improved in 7.5 I got goose bumps when I discovered it!

JayAudion wrote:Bank buttons don't work anymore (shift only 1) and channel does nothing, on my Mackie Control.

The channel buttons are now "page" buttons for multi page menus (used to be the top leftmost 2 buttons, but they now have new functions).
If you use "shift" with the bank buttons they alternate between BanK and Channel jumps.

JayAudion wrote:Also : EQ works different, but I like it, bands on and off now with button push.

Yep, and I love it, too. Push to Alternate between Freq and Q - Push gain to turn band on and off. Brilliant. Everything on 8 knobs.

JayAudion wrote:Setting FX send levels is messed up, now sets send output,
and if you fiddle around with what used to be send, you see the relatively new channel strip inserts flashing by, with no abillity to use them though.

FX sends are now accessed with what used to be the "Page Up" button - the one on the top right. Depending on how many (if any) extenders you have you can page through things with (what was) the "channel" buttons.
Shift press on the same button gives you ""send 1" for all channels - and with subsequent shift presses you toggle through all 8. The "send" button down near the Read/Write buttons allows you to tweak the effects.
Shift press this same button allows setting the Cue mix levels for each channel - again, subsequent shift presses toggles through each of the 4 cue mixes.

The bottom right of those 6 upper left buttons (used to be sends, I think) now allows complete control of the built in "strip" effects. The left knob (#1) scrolls through the effects. Knob 2 bypasses. Knob 3 chooses the Processor (like vintage, tube, etc). Then page 2 (using the old channel buttons) brings up all the controls for the selected unit.

JayAudion wrote:Still no way to assign mixer view configurations to F buttons or fader group buttons

This Generic Remote setup . . .
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=184&t=38442&start=50#p300942
. . . works better than dedicated fader bank because you can assign anything if you only want - say - 4 banks available.
You'll need to alter the commands in the XML file to match the new function name - this can be done right on the Devices page - but I have it working excellent in both the project and Mix Console windows. It works on whichever window has focus.

In addition to all of that fun . .
The upper right button (used to be page down) now controls input/output bus, gain, and phase as well as "monitor" status for all channels. Use the old "channel" buttons to page through functions. I also noticed it will hold the selected page when you come back to it (like "monitor", for me).

Ther's more and I've probably missed some stuff but . . .
Kudos to SB for this functionality. I'm lovin it!

Hugh
Cubase 7.5.2 64bit
W7 i7 12G ASUS MB Studio Machine, Dual Monitors
MCU Pro plus 2 Extenders (24 Chn) / Novation AutoMap (Nocturn)
Blackmagic Decklink Studio w/27" Monitor
VEP5
W7 i7 Sony VAIO Laptop 8G Slave/Remote Machine
RME Digiface PCIe for both
HughH

Postby JayAudion » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:43 am

Wow!!! HughH, thanks a bunch for helping me and a lot of people out and giving us a walk through. Usually I'm kind of sharp with these things but I did'nt figure this one out. Now I have. It works great.
Instead of a breakdown, it's a big leap forward indeed.
By now C7.5 is a real big step forward! No real problems left here anymore. Jeej!
Thanks SB

Did you figure this out by yourself? Only note I can make now is that a little mention of this overhaul could have been made somewhere/anywhere, like in the release notes or new features or 'solved issues, something like that.
The manual update is supposed to be in development I read somewhere. I wonder if it shows up, but hey, the forum crowd solved it them selves.
Cubase 7.0.1 64bit | Cubase 6.5.4 64-bit | and all other on PC down to Atari 1040stfm | Windows 7 64bit | RME Fireface 800 | Intel i7-4770k @4300 on Asus Z87-A 16GB | Mackie Control | Dynaudio BM15A
JayAudion

Postby greggybud » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:45 am

HughH wrote: I'm shocked at this thread!
MCU implementation is SO improved in 7.5 I got goose bumps when I discovered it!Hugh

As mentioned, I'm not using the Mackie MCU but instead the Icon Qcon Pro. So the buttons are a bit different.

On the Qcon there is a "forward" and "back" button to advance or go back one track at a time. There is also a "forward 8 tracks" and "back 8 tracks" button.

Right now, the "forward" and "back" buttons do nothing to my knowledge. The "forward 8 tracks" and "back 8 tracks" shift only by 1 track instead of 8.

I'm out of town at the moment so your discovery is welcome news. I would think if the Qcon Pro uses MCU protocol, then I should be able to achieve most of what you have said, but with different buttons? The only shift button on the Qcon is for user assignable functions.
greggybud

Postby trashdinner » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:20 am

Wow thx for that precious info!! Most of us only did what we are used to and found out it wasn't working the same way so we thought it was broken ;) I'll explore the new commands a bit more!
trashdinner

Postby trashdinner » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:22 am

Oh and btw, if you look at my post a little earlier, I uploaded the xml file with updated comands for 7.5
Last edited by trashdinner on Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
trashdinner

Postby trashdinner » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:50 am

Oh wow ... pressing the knobs in different circumstances does amazing things :D I also love that Shift + plugin button let you control the Quick Controls :)
trashdinner

Postby trashdinner » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:52 am

The only thing I don't like now is that pressing the computer shift button while pressing a MCU button doesn't work anymore ... the Shift button on the MCU is in a weird place and it's not so practical but kudos to SB for the amazing new intergrations!
trashdinner

Postby JayAudion » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:24 pm

Hey trashdinner and msterna thanks for the updated xml file. Great! I set that up as well so my mackie is working better than ever, litterally. Very happy with the new found fader group buttons, there was dust on them.
It would seem fun to study and tweak it a bit in the future when I feel like technical stuff on a sunday.

Yes the shift button is in a little uncomfortable location, but I'll settle for the fact that even writing about it or discussing it will do me more harm (auchh...) than using it that way. we don't need it that much I guess.
JayAudion

Postby cubace » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:18 pm

If they are going to change the behaviour, the should not to think their customers are idiots. The proper solution if of course that the user should be able to map their functionality, and the should be a preset that is exactly as the previous version. But Im and idiot, I have not learned that steinberg never can learn how to do remotes after so many years.
cubace

Postby HughH » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:18 pm

trashdinner wrote:Oh wow ... pressing the knobs in different circumstances does amazing things :D I also love that Shift + plugin button let you control the Quick Controls :)

Didn't notice that!
Very Cool.
You can also get to the QC with Shift/Master Inserts button.
On my MCU those buttons are side by side - very convenient.

Also noticed an alternate EQ layout with Shift/EQ.
And a per selected channel pan with panner type selection with Shift/Pan.

Wonderful.

Hugh
Cubase 7.5.2 64bit
W7 i7 12G ASUS MB Studio Machine, Dual Monitors
MCU Pro plus 2 Extenders (24 Chn) / Novation AutoMap (Nocturn)
Blackmagic Decklink Studio w/27" Monitor
VEP5
W7 i7 Sony VAIO Laptop 8G Slave/Remote Machine
RME Digiface PCIe for both
HughH

Postby trashdinner » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:51 am

HughH wrote:
trashdinner wrote:Oh wow ... pressing the knobs in different circumstances does amazing things :D I also love that Shift + plugin button let you control the Quick Controls :)

Didn't notice that!
Very Cool.
You can also get to the QC with Shift/Master Inserts button.
On my MCU those buttons are side by side - very convenient.

Also noticed an alternate EQ layout with Shift/EQ.
And a per selected channel pan with panner type selection with Shift/Pan.

Wonderful.

Hugh

That's really cool!! Have you noticed that pressing the knobs of each strip on the MCU when it's in Pan/Surround or Track mode will put the monitor on and off? That's really cool ... you don't really have to go to the pres page for them to work :D
trashdinner

Postby greggybud » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:30 am

After spending a bit more time and messing with the Qcon Icon IT DOES WORK!! :D :D :D

For other users of Qcon, I had to go into the effects and switch pages. Once I switched pages and hit the flip button back and forth everything changed and it works as HughM wrote! :mrgreen:

I'm not sure if it was using the flip button or changing pages on the effects but by doing this everything now seems to work. And yes.....so much improved!

Thank you Steinberg!

Steinberg...no longer an issue so this post can be deleted?
greggybud

Postby JayAudion » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:09 pm

Glad everything works for you too now greggybud.
But hey are you kidding? Of course this post can't and won't be deleted. Many other users will come here and read our pioneering words, Lords of the Thread here in awe in future years. I did file an official support request when I was still among the unknowings, but politely asked SB support to drop my request when I transgressed having found this thread. (I may have watched too much fantasy lately, sorry for that :-) )
JayAudion

Postby SteveInChicago » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:37 am

greggybud wrote:Steinberg...no longer an issue so this post can be deleted?
@greggybud Just edit the subject to include "solved" so anyone who comes upon the thread will understand without having to read all the posts.
Cubase 7.5.20 | Mac 10.8.5 | i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | 16gb | TC Konnekt24D
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Re: SOLVED(7.5) Mackie MCU protocol (channel shift doesn't w

Postby cubace » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:39 pm

Ok, they have updated things. But how do I control the "new" thinks. Like hi-cut low-cut. and the strip functions?
cubace

Postby cubace » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:54 pm

And solo-defeat does still not work.
cubace

Postby cubace » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:11 pm

cubace wrote:Ok, they have updated things. But how do I control the "new" thinks. Like hi-cut low-cut. and the strip functions?

Ok, the strip functions is in FX-send. But still no luck with hi-cut, low-cut.
cubace

Next

Return to Issue Reports