7.5, to upgrade or not to upgrade..that is the question.

Interested in Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!

7.5, to upgrade or not to upgrade..that is the question.

Postby shadowfax » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:34 pm

Was thinkin bout upgrading but there seems to be a heck of a lot of probs with 7.5....shakin in me boots now!!!
https://soundcloud.com/knmac ... https://knmac.bandcamp.com/... Cubase 7 64 bit on W7 intel i7-2700 CPU@3.50GHz, 2xSSD's..16GB ram, Yamaha N8, Genelec 8030BPM/Genelec7050BPM monitors...SPL track one, Shure KSM32 and a homemade soundbooth.
shadowfax

Re: 7.5, to upgrade or not to upgrade..that is the question.

Postby crofter » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:16 pm

Dell Q6600, 4 gig ram, Win 7 Home premium SP1, dual boot 32 and 64 bit.
Pentium T4300 laptop, 2 gig ram. win8.1, 32 bit.
Motu 8-Pre, Tascam FW-1804, Zoom R-16,
Cubase 7.5, Wavelab elements 7.2.1,
Ableton live 8.4,
other stuff
crofter

Postby shadowfax » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:29 pm

Ok ..saw that, thanks...I'm usually one of the unlucky ones and these guys have released C7.5 without even having a full manual for it..aparently you gotta use the 7 manual and find the other stuff somewhere else..why would they do that? and it seems there are still probs that 7.0.6 had in 7.5...what? :?
https://soundcloud.com/knmac ... https://knmac.bandcamp.com/... Cubase 7 64 bit on W7 intel i7-2700 CPU@3.50GHz, 2xSSD's..16GB ram, Yamaha N8, Genelec 8030BPM/Genelec7050BPM monitors...SPL track one, Shure KSM32 and a homemade soundbooth.
shadowfax

Postby cmaffia » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:32 pm

I say upgrade. There's a lot of really nice added features. If 7.0.6 was stable for you then 7.5 will be just as solid if not better. For me the interface is so much more snappier. Go for it!
Tascam DM3200 - IF-FW/DMMKII - IF-AN/DM - Tascam DA-3000 Mastering Recorder - Cubase 7.5.20 32/64-Bit - i7-3770, 3.4GHz Quad Core - 8GB RAM - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 - UAD-2 Solo - UAD-2 Duo - Steinberg CC121 - Frontier Tranzport - Wavelab 8.03 32/64-Bit

Hear the collection: Maffia & Montano
cmaffia

Postby thinkingcap » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:38 pm

shadowfax wrote:Ok ..saw that, thanks...I'm usually one of the unlucky ones and these guys have released C7.5 without even having a full manual for it..aparently you gotta use the 7 manual and find the other stuff somewhere else..why would they do that? and it seems there are still probs that 7.0.6 had in 7.5...what? :?

So, why ask then? Obviously you don´t want to update.
No one will give you a guarantee you´re one of the lucky- or unlucky ones - so if you don´t want to find out yourself, don´t do it...
Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...
thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member

Postby Outsounder » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:48 pm

Actually it's a very good update, well worth the asking price. There is a new feature guide PDF in the download, there's no need for a whole new manual.

There are actually some excellent new features and improvements, lets just hope the gloss of all those (and the issues that come with them) doesn't distract from workflow issues bought forward, especially with the MC
Main-Intel i7/Asus mobo/Gforce GPU/16gig ram. Secondary-Intel Q9950/Asus mobo/Radeon GPU/8gig ram. Win 764bit, Cubase 6.5 & 7.5, Studio One 2 Pro, ACID, Ableton Live, Sonic Core Scope DSP Audio System, Roland VMC 7200-48 Channel Digital Mixing System & Focal Monitors. Software includes NI Komplete 8, East West Play Libraries, Heavyocity Libraries, Sample Logic Libraries Best Service Libraries, Sonokinetic Libraries, 8Dio Libraries,Project Sam Libaries, Sound Iron Libraries,Melodyne Pro, Uberschall Elastic & Liquid Libraries.
Outsounder

Postby Prock » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:21 pm

So far, for me anyway, this is a nice update. Just do it.
PRock Studio

DAW: Cubase 7.5.30 (64bit), OS: Windows 7 x64 SP1, CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5 GHz, RAM: 8GB, Graphics: 1024MB GeForce GTX 650, AI: PreSonus Firebox
Prock

Postby knuckle47 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Shadowfax, the day the announcement came out at the end of November, I tried to click on BUY NOW for days to pre order. Now that is December 7' I still have not done it. I have read the love and hate and out of all of it, the one thing I would like to find out more of is the file size claims. Seems a few have mentioned the significant file size increase and load times.

Other than that, I'll probably do it as I have always updated or upgraded since SL 2.0. I'm am not a pro so as it all boils down, it's not an impact
PC Win 7 64bit | VST Instrument Collection | i7 3930 | 32gb Corsair ram : MOTU 896 HD FireWire, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256gb Win 7 OS | 2nd Crucial 64gb with Cubase 7.5.2| WD 2 TB Caviar Black | 500gb project drive | Cubasis and iPad 4th 64gb. Guitarist not really a keyboard player, but tryin' like hell
knuckle47

Postby shadowfax » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:10 pm

thinkingcap wrote:
shadowfax wrote:Ok ..saw that, thanks...I'm usually one of the unlucky ones and these guys have released C7.5 without even having a full manual for it..aparently you gotta use the 7 manual and find the other stuff somewhere else..why would they do that? and it seems there are still probs that 7.0.6 had in 7.5...what? :?

So, why ask then? Obviously you don´t want to update.
No one will give you a guarantee you´re one of the lucky- or unlucky ones - so if you don´t want to find out yourself, don´t do it...

seems reasonable to find out about a product and ask a few questions before stepping in... and I was aware of my options before you kindly pointed them out..but thanks anyway :)

after encouragement from all you other guys/gals..I bought it online 2 mins ago and should arrive Wed next..so thanks to everyone...Kevin
shadowfax

Postby cubic13 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:46 pm

I was considering an eventual update from 7.0.6 (while carefully keeping 5.1 and 6.5 installed...), this, despite all the UI regressions (yes, I'm probably one track minded ans still hate the new white masked timeline cursor and the C7 color schemes, among others...), as the first comments about 7.5 was 'fantastic', 'amazing', 'wonderful', etc, etc...

The main things that were interesting me are the track versions, the track visibility and the new algo reverb. I don't really care about the others, honestly...

But since three days, I have seen here :
- Again, a drastic increase of project loading times (and I thought that it couldn't get worse...),
- Projects .cpr size of users here growing from 600 kb (with 7.0.6) to... 4.5 Mb ! :shock: ,
- Content download and installation issues,
- Anormal spikes here and there with still as much resources used as before if not worse for some.

And beside this (among several others...) :
- No UI regressions fixes and still the dreaded and unavoidable white masked timeline cursor,
- No fixes concerning the key commands behavior issues with the MixConsole focus,
- No improvement of the RCE (generic remote handling),
- No improvement of the ASIO guard,
- Still the same click fest in the MixConsole,
- No improvement of the Generic Remote definition (still track dependent with broken NRPN support. I made a feature request and a ticket support for the latter more than one month ago and I'm still waiting for any feedback...),
- Trackpresets are still unusable with multiouts VSTis.

So, basically, more or less useful features added again, leaving more and more things half-baked. Seems like Steiny is engaged in a headlong rush and I'm increasingly fearing what the future will bring.

Just saw that you took the jump, Shadowfax. Let's say I won't follow...
DAW : i7-870 (HT enabled) - Asus P7-P55D-E - 16 Gb DDR3-1600 - 2 x WD Black Caviar 1 Tb - Radeon 6450 GPU (512 Mb) - Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64) / E-Mu 1616m PCIe + Behringer ADA8000
Soft & plug-ins : Cubase 5.1.1 (64) & 6.5.5 (64) + HSO / Emulator X3 / TruePianos / Ivory II / GSi Mr Ray73 MkII & VB3 / Sylenth1 / Alchemy / Loomer String / Arturia MMV / BFD2 / Ariesverb
Gear : Studiologic VMK-188+ / Akai MPD32 controller / Akai ME30P MIDI Patchbay / Korg 05RW / Roland D110 / Yamaha TX802 / Zoom G9.2tt / My really old ones (pre-MIDI era) : ARP Odyssey + Korg MS20
cubic13

Postby thinkingcap » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:06 pm

shadowfax wrote:seems reasonable to find out about a product and ask a few questions before stepping in...

That seems reasonable - asking others if you should update seems not (to me).
Especially since obviously you only get exactly the same answers as in all those past "should I upgrade" threads, and those to come.
Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...
thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member

Postby shadowfax » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:08 pm

cubic13 wrote:Re: 7.5, to upgrade or not to upgrade..that is the question.

Post by cubic13 » 07 Dec 2013 16:46
I was considering an eventual update from 7.0.6 (while carefully keeping 5.1 and 6.5 installed...), this, despite all the UI regressions (yes, I'm probably one track minded ans still hate the new white masked timeline cursor and the C7 color schemes, among others...), as the first comments about 7.5 was 'fantastic', 'amazing', 'wonderful', etc, etc...

The main things that were interesting me are the track versions, the track visibility and the new algo reverb. I don't really care about the others, honestly...

But since three days, I have seen here :
- Again, a drastic increase of project loading times (and I thought that it couldn't get worse...),
- Projects .cpr size of users here growing from 600 kb (with 7.0.6) to... 4.5 Mb ! :shock: ,
- Content download and installation issues,
- Anormal spikes here and there with still as much resources used as before if not worse for some.

And beside this (among several others...) :
- No UI regressions fixes and still the dreaded and unavoidable white masked timeline cursor,
- No fixes concerning the key commands behavior issues with the MixConsole focus,
- No improvement of the RCE (generic remote handling),
- No improvement of the ASIO guard,
- Still the same click fest in the MixConsole,
- No improvement of the Generic Remote definition (still track dependent with broken NRPN support. I made a feature request and a ticket support for the latter more than one month ago and I'm still waiting for any feedback...),
- Trackpresets are still unusable with multiouts VSTis.

So, basically, more or less useful features added again, leaving more and more things half-baked. Seems like Steiny is engaged in a headlong rush and I'm increasingly fearing what the future will bring.

Just saw that you took the jump, Shadowfax. Let's say I won't follow...

OH MY GOD !!!

I've ordered it but I aint put it in the box yet..this is the stuff that worries me the most..onwards and upwards regardless of the faults still lying around in the previous version..i think they were in a hurry to cash in on Christmas...
shadowfax

Postby shadowfax » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:10 pm

somehow managed to include my post in the quote there..sorry bout that...from OH MY GOD is my bit..
shadowfax

Postby G-string » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:28 pm

simple question :

What harm do you think it could do by updating considering c7.5 is a completely different program from 7.0.6 ?
If your worried just do the usual crap " back up , disk image " before updating .
If your skint and can't afford to feed your children then I suggest .....sell your missus and update to c7.5 ;-)
I7 3770k - win7 64 bit - C7.5.20 - WL8e - Halion 5 - Padshop pro - Cmc - Midex 8 - Uad - Rme FF/ADi8pro - Automap 4.7.3 b
G-string

Postby cubic13 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:55 pm

G-string wrote:simple question :

What harm do you think it could do by updating considering c7.5 is a completely different program from 7.0.6 ?
If your worried just do the usual crap " back up , disk image " before updating .
If your skint and can't afford to feed your children then I suggest .....sell your missus and update to c7.5 ;-)

I guess that this one is for me, as Shadowfax already purchased the 7.5 update, but correct me if I'm wrong...

So, just two answers :

1) I already have 3 Cubase versions installed, here, one of them not used (guess the one which is concerned...). So, no need for a fouth one which will probably end as the third one, even if I can afford it.

2) And, more important... Considering how things evolve (with an increasing number of things left without fixes and more and more UI/workflow regressions), I do think that updating would somehow comfort Steiny on the wrong track they are engaged in. Let's say that I vote with my wallet...
DAW : i7-870 (HT enabled) - Asus P7-P55D-E - 16 Gb DDR3-1600 - 2 x WD Black Caviar 1 Tb - Radeon 6450 GPU (512 Mb) - Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64) / E-Mu 1616m PCIe + Behringer ADA8000
Soft & plug-ins : Cubase 5.1.1 (64) & 6.5.5 (64) + HSO / Emulator X3 / TruePianos / Ivory II / GSi Mr Ray73 MkII & VB3 / Sylenth1 / Alchemy / Loomer String / Arturia MMV / BFD2 / Ariesverb
Gear : Studiologic VMK-188+ / Akai MPD32 controller / Akai ME30P MIDI Patchbay / Korg 05RW / Roland D110 / Yamaha TX802 / Zoom G9.2tt / My really old ones (pre-MIDI era) : ARP Odyssey + Korg MS20
cubic13

Postby G-string » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:07 pm

cubic13 wrote:

I guess that this one is for me, as Shadowfax already purchased the 7.5 update, but correct me if I'm wrong...

So, just two answers :

1) I already have 3 Cubase versions installed, here, one of them not used (guess the one which is concerned...). So, no need for a fouth one which will probably end as the third one, even if I can afford it.

2) And, more important... Considering how things evolve (with an increasing number of things left without fixes and more and more UI/workflow regressions), I do think that updating would somehow comfort Steiny on the wrong track they are engaged in. Let's say that I vote with my wallet...

sorry Cubic13
this was actually directed at Shadowfox and silly old me missed the " I bought it two minutes ago " so apart from the last part it all still counts .
If you don't want to update Cubic then that's your choice mate but maybe it's the way ive built my Daw Ive seemed to be the one of the lucky ones all the way through c7 so jumping to c7.5 for the visibility sync alone was worth it .

Anyway Shadowfox im sure you'll be fine in the end with it even IF you have quibbles at the beginning ;-)
I7 3770k - win7 64 bit - C7.5.20 - WL8e - Halion 5 - Padshop pro - Cmc - Midex 8 - Uad - Rme FF/ADi8pro - Automap 4.7.3 b
G-string

Postby Airyck » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:38 pm

I'll upgrade soon I think, 6.5 to 7.5 seems like a significant update, and most of the major issues seem to have been worked out over the last year... still not a 100% on it but some of the new features seem great. I 'd also love to be able to drag and drop to Kontakt which I know you can now do as of 7.0. I think I'll stick to upgrading at the X.5 versions, they always seem to be much better than X.0
Airyck

Postby shadowfax » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:06 am

Just seems such a pity that paid upgrades come along that we all want to have but they come with problems, some old..some new that we have to spend time dealing with instead of music...me being rubbish with "puters" makes it a bit more worrying for me, I know it's cutting edge stuff and respect that but cubic13 makes some very good points,
I will install the upgrade but seems strange that I'll be a bit worried about it..of course I'll keep 7 around to go back to if need be..just don't think it should be like that....best to you all in the coming weeks...Kevin
shadowfax

Postby shadowfax » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:08 am

could never seel me missus..she bought me the upgrade :D
shadowfax

Postby studioton » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:59 am

shadowfax wrote:Was thinkin bout upgrading but there seems to be a heck of a lot of probs with 7.5....shakin in me boots now!!!

win 7 64.. no problems here. 7.5 is the first new version that works very well .. SB have done good job
studioton

Postby Svenne » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:14 pm

shadowfax wrote:These guys have released C7.5 without even having a full manual for it

Be thankful they didn't! A full rewrite of the manual would probably have raised the price of the 7.5 update by a factor of two.
Cubase 7.5.30 [64bit] + IC Pro, WaveLab Elements 8, Cubasis 1.8.1 Mac Pro 2.8GHz 8-core 8GB, 10.9.4 (Mavericks), Firewire Audiofile (to be replaced), iPad Air (128GB)
Svenne

Re: 7.5, to upgrade or not to upgrade..that is the question

Postby knuckle47 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:38 pm

Just for the record, I too bought the upgrade . I will say this much, I have not yet installed the two files but the hse2 file stopped and started several times and then I cancelled it to start again later. Must be that Verizion FiOS at 75/30 is just too blazing fast to keep it flowing ;)
PC Win 7 64bit | VST Instrument Collection | i7 3930 | 32gb Corsair ram : MOTU 896 HD FireWire, Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256gb Win 7 OS | 2nd Crucial 64gb with Cubase 7.5.2| WD 2 TB Caviar Black | 500gb project drive | Cubasis and iPad 4th 64gb. Guitarist not really a keyboard player, but tryin' like hell
knuckle47

Postby shadowfax » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:32 pm

So anyway..my upgrade arrived at lunchtime today..installed it with no probs whatsoever..(first time this has happened for me )..been using it for 5 hours now without problems..so seems to be ok..so relieved...Kevin
shadowfax

Return to Presales