"Best Free VSTs of 2013"

Yeah, you attacked me too. Sorry, but you donā€™t get to judge whatā€™s relevant and whatā€™s not. And what you consider ā€œnoiseā€ may not be noise at all to others. Last I checked, you were NOT the moderator. I think my post was relevant, I did not judge anyone, unlike what you accused me of, just offered a suggestion. For the record, Iā€™ve been ā€œthankedā€ way more than you, which means that other people here do find my posts useful.

Learn to live with different OPINIONS.

Hereā€™s a litmus test of relevance:

When the OP asks a question, are you answering the question?

No? Then your commentary was irrelevant.

Easy peasy.

I couldnā€™t care less about the number of times a useless piece of functionality on this website has been used. Iā€™ve been a member of the Cubase website nearly 2 years longer than you - should that count for anything? Personally, I donā€™t think so. But if you want to look at quantifiable metrics then that one is probably more applicable than how many times you or I have been thanked.

This is my last post on this side topic. If youā€™d like to debate it further, create your own thread so that I can hijack it with useless and content free trolling. Thanks.

Does anyone else have any experience with the VSTs referenced in the article?

I use some of those. Wakawaka!

No, hereā€™s YOUR litmus test of relevance. One that Iā€™m sure you do not apply to your own posts.
And BTW, answers do not necessarily fall into a yes/no category.

I couldnā€™t care less about the number of times a useless piece of functionality on this website has been used. Iā€™ve been a member of the Cubase website nearly 2 years longer than you - should that count for anything?

Actually that isnā€™t even true. I changed email address, and since Steinberg kept sending me mail to the old one, I had to change user name, in order to use the new one. Iā€™ve been here longer than you and Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ve used Cubase for a lot longer than you, since I adopted it when it was known as Cubit.

Personally, I donā€™t think so.

Again, personally is the key. Itā€™s not an absolute value or a fact, itā€™s just YOUR OPINION. What youā€™re saying is that I shouldnā€™t be entitled to mine because itā€™s different than yours.

This is flipping childish. Taxi :imp:

For me, the test of whether any internet statement is insulting, trollish, childish, etc, is to imagine if the statement would have still been made face-to-face. A significant number of internet statements fail this test, and badly. :sunglasses:

I have always used my actual name, too, except for the periods here at cubase.net where Iā€™ve used ā€œtwilightsongā€ but everyone still knew who I was. I donā€™t judge people that use pseudonyms, they can be fun, but it DOES give them just one extra layer of anonymity behind which they can be rude to people

Well, some of you like this sort of jousting more than others, os less than others. Personally, I donā€™t really mind to be in the audience :wink:. There are plenty of more serious topics to check outā€¦

Mauri.

Yes, I did. Thanks! I havenā€™t had time to look into the ones you said you keep in your toolbag, but I intend to. :slight_smile:

I use lots of freebies, if they fulfill a certain need.

Now if someone else thinks I am wasting my time checking them out, then they are wasting their time thinking about me! Simple.

And how do you know if a plug-in is good or not if you donā€™t try it out? :confused:

I am away from the studio currently so I cannot look some of my faves up, one or two I go back to regularly, M30 Reverb, Whirlpool (delay)ā€¦ I will have to make a list next week, time permitting.

Some of the entries in the annual KVR challenge are excellent. :sunglasses:

Iā€™ve been using Voxengo Span for a long time, I like it a lot.

I also used Alchemy Player and liked it so much I bought the full version and some libraries, very nice.

Mauri.

Thank you for the link, Larry. I had a few of those and now I have allā€¦ I really want to try Flux

Yeh thanks for the link.

Already have the voxengo stuff but will try the others.

Native Instruments is giving this away for free until new years eve. Just downloaded it, not had a chance to try it out yet.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/effects/supercharger/

Bookmarked foolomon - Iā€™ll check them out. How did you manage to cause some controversy? It was almost like the old days with Paul Woodlock etc. :laughing: Bring it on :smiling_imp:

Some of these are demoā€™s

Thatā€™s how I roll. Heh.

Iā€™ve only downloaded Swatches and think itā€™s pretty neat. Philter would have a ball with it, in my opinion, because the presets are geared toward the techno genre.

I also checked out the KVR Audio Developer Challenger results for 2012. There were some that looked interesting but I only downloaded the Strings VST that was so highly lauded there.

I was completely unimpressed. The stock nkiā€™s in Kontakt are much better sounding - not surprised really since they are sample based, but that can cause difficulties in their expressiveness - and I can only imagine what a dedicated string library like EWOL sounds like.

Does anyone have any practical experience with Session Strings who can tell me what the difference is between the Pro and non-Pro versions?

Simply put, SSP is about 10 times larger than the earlier release. And you can hear that the sound is MUCH more accurate and defined. Mind you that this is a small chamber strings group and not a symphonic string section, so it has to be used accordingly.

Also a crucial difference is that the original product only gives you one section of ā€œgenericā€ strings, which means no divisi, no violins, violas, cellos, basses, just a unified ā€œstring patch.ā€ Might work for background ā€œpop stringsā€, but itā€™s not very credible when the strings are exposed or they play more complex lines. Furthermore, SSP comes with a lot more articulations, round robin layers, expression layers etc. Finally, it comes with a lot more automated patterns (including the option to program your own), although Iā€™ve never been a fan of those (IMHO they still sound mechanical), so to me the latter is a moot point. But then again, some people believe itā€™s actually SSPā€™s best feature. As usual, your mileage varies.

SSP is still NOT competitive with the best strings libraries on the market, but, to be fair, itā€™s not as expensive and itā€™s not meant to be used to recreate classical music on a computer.

P.S. How is your question on-topic? For someone who blasted me (and most likely reported me) for allegedly going off-topic, your post comes off as mighty hypocritical (neither SS or SSP are free VSTā€™s.) But hey, I answered your question anyway, and wouldnā€™t even have made a fuss out of it, if you didnā€™t attack me before. Peace.

You are correct - it isnā€™t on-topic. I asked the question because NI has a $25 e-voucher on its web page with the free VST so I was thinking of expanding my library. Since the OP was really about expanding my library (though not worded as such) I made the internal connection without it being obvious to the readers. My apologies.

Also, I didnā€™t report you. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve reported anyone on this site ever.