APPEAL: C7.X Pro Composers: Voice Your Opinion here![POLL]

I’ve been thinking about this a LOT recently. It’s been pointed out to me that I rant a lot and I’ve been trying to figure out what my problem is. Truthfully, there are no dealbreakers in Cubase. It does basically everything I need very competently. And they keep adding neat-o features which make it more and more flexible, which is great. It’s also ‘fast’ in terms of actual execution: loading, rendering, etc. are all satisfactory.

But here’s the thing… Cubase keeps getting SLOWER to work with. Not -faster-. What inflames my sphincter with each passing year is that Cubase is like this: I go to a restaurant and I ask for a diet plate. And the waiter brings me the all you can eat buffet. And I say, ‘No… I want the diet plate.’ But the guy keeps bringing more of the all you can eat deal. And I feel bad for complaining, because… the guy keeps bringing me more food. I feel ungrateful—but it’s not what I know is good for me. And I feel like a ‘whiner’. But what they keep giving me is not what I need. It’s great, but it’s not what I -really- need.

1. Window management is rough.

2. Preset Management/File Management really stinks.

3. Key commands and icons and window layouts are getting less and less efficient.

…And all that stuff seems so ‘small’ but the truth? I work SLOWER now than I did in 2007. And I’m not getting any younger so it’s getting increasingly annoying.

The projects I work on now are MUCH larger than they used to be. People expect MORE stuff; not 16 tracks… 160 tracks. And the workflow hasn’t kept up. In fact, it’s heading in the wrong direction.

And THAT is what drives me nuts. Many of the changes SB keeps making are not what I need. They’re doing cool stuff, but it’s clear they aren’t listening to the stuff -I- care most about and that’s frustrating. So I feel trapped. I have too many years in to change. Which is not a great feeling sometimes.

—JC