Mac-osx to win7-64 bit migration

I did this exact thing for these exact reasons.

Zero regrets.

The performance boost you’ll enjoy is on 6 fronts:

1. It new hardware so it’s of course faster than what you currently have.

2. Price-performance is better with PC. Whatever you get with the money you spend, it’ll be faster.

3. Modern CPUs are very overclock friendly. Motherboards from, for example, ASUS, come with built-in overclock profiles that can be chosen with a simple menu selection in the BIOS. So your faster hardware will be faster still, because Apple doesn’t provide any tools to overclock. Can you overclock a Mac? Sure, but it’s tricky and unsupported. With the right Motherboard purchase from ASUS, they’ll actually support you OCing it. They have a phone support of technicians called “Overclock Engineers” (I’m not making this up) that will walk you through it for free. It has to be on their “OC Supported” list – so call them first and find out which ones are.

4. Cubase performs faster, all things being equal (same hardware), under Windows.

5. Windows ASIO performs better at low latencies than OS X Core Audio – this is well documented over at Dawbench (an old article but still applies)

6. VST Plugins, by many 3rd party vendors tend to be more optimized than their AU counterparts. The affect of this can add up. I have not heard any complaints of the reverse being true, but there are probably instances.

The net effect of all of this will astound you.