Cubase 7.5 MAGNETO II sounds wonderful!

Hi All

I also have never really appreciated the “tape sim” thing even though I am old enough to have (and did) used both 2 and 16 track tape machines. However I must say that I took an instant “shiner” to Magneto11 despite not having a clue what the initial “fuss” was all about. Put it across the output bus and thought it was pretty good. That’s my take on it!!!

Best Regards

Dave

Thanks my friend! :wink:

Best Regards
Freddie

Right! I tend to use my brain and my ears instead of just looking at the brand! :slight_smile:
A price tag of $300 doesn’t automatically makes it wonderful.

Best Regards
Freddie

How do you control the strip from MCU? Is this new with 7.5? Which controller do you use?

Yes. Totally new with 7.5.
I use the MCU Pros and XTs v4.x . . however, these expanded function work with any Mackie Control . . including most emulations - at least according to the reports I’ve heard.

Details here: http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=181&t=51282#p314173

This is a Magneto 2 topic, after all.

Hugh

The more I use it, more I get addicted to it. :mrgreen:

It work and make miracles on separate tracks too in Cubase 7.5. So not only on the 2BUS.
“Track EQ”, “MAGNETO II” and the “Transient Designer” on Channel Strip is one of my favorite plugins in Cubase 7.5.
I often prefer C7-Transient Designer over others like SPL Transient Designer, NI Transient Master, PX-64 Percussion Strip etc…

C7- "Transient Designer sounds really analog and musical like real hardware “Transient Designer”.
The new “MAGNETO II” as good as the Premium-TwinTube that cost $2,099.00 hardware, $199 software that I have too.

http://spl.info/fileadmin/user_upload/produkte/analog_elementals/premium_twintube/Premium_TwinTube_web_1500.jpg

http://spl.info/fileadmin/user_upload/produkte/analog_elementals/twintube_twintube/TwinTube_TwinTube_web_1500.jpg

MAGNETO II gives you something else, an unique character and they must have done something special with this new plugin like used VCM technology to model this unit, otherwise I wouldn’t like it as much as I do. I’m very fastidious when it comes to plugins and hardware. I only use what sounds best!

So now you know, all you that haven’t update to 7.5 yet. Something special and awesome waiting for you in the new arsenals of plugins when you update to new Cubase 7.5.
“MAGNETO II” sounds like 1.000.000 dollar sound for sure. :wink: :slight_smile:

Best Regards
Freddie

Freddie - you have made me curious about Magneto, something I’ve never tried. Please ignore the whiny dr4kan as I don’t see him as a positive contributor. You, however, are a valuable asset to this forum. Thanks. :sunglasses:

Leave the frikkin’ guy alone, will you…? For chrissakes… he’s happy…!! He’s making music, he likes his cubase, he’s thanked SB, he’s a bit excited and he’s happy…! That’s it. Deal with it… jeez…

You can just walk past if you do see another great FreddieH post, can’t you…?

If only some more had done so, in his other thread too, instead of continually weighing in and just trampling all over it, with the result of it being locked.

Go Freddie…!! (oh, and go for those emoticons, like you used to - it doesn’t harm anyone, and you are the ONLY person who does it here; we should know the drill by now; its just a FreddieH thing - its what makes FreddieH, FreddieH…!)

(Sorry - back to topic now…)

I am a big fan of the original Magneto, which I have missed ever since I replaced my studio PC with a Mac. (The original Magneto wasn’t available for OSX)

Does anyone know how to set up Magneto II to behave like the old Magneto? I really liked the old one on overdriven guitars, bass, kick, toms and snare. I am excited about the now one and I have already used it on a mix which I am currently working on, but I haven’t been able to recreate the behavior of the old one. Maybe they are too different?

But regardless of this I am really excited to have Magneto back again! :slight_smile:

Thank you, my friend! :slight_smile:
Merry Christmas!

Best Regards
Freddie

Thank you, my friend! :wink:
Merry Christmas!

Best Regards
Freddie

Imagine if Steinberg updated ALL of those older plugins to this quality, like Quadrafuzz and distortion!

Originally I considered the whole channel strip concept as a toyish addon. Well, did some everything-louder-than-anything-else-mix recently and used the strip including Magneto, Envelope Shaper & Maximizer on some busses to take all the consciously generated exaggerations in sound design even a step further - at a very late stage of the mix - and it worked surprisingly well.

Especially Magneto made the difference here with the instant access to distortion of a selectable range of frequencies. Changed my view from toys to tools honestly. Good one!

+1 for at least QuadraFuzz. It’s kind of interesting as it is now but not always beautiful, although those four bands would maybe take the over the top in a VST3 201X technology package? Only thing is it’s a hardware simulation from a DIY kit by Craig Anderton from … the Ming dynasty? But true to form Steinberg could call it QuadraFuzzONE!!! :laughing:

*after all, it’s Freddie’s topic! :wink:

And yeah! Me too! I really like what you can do with Magneto II and the other little tools. And it’s already there so it won’t waste any insert slots! At the same time the slots ARE there so if you need a 3rd party plugin … voilá :sunglasses: !

No worries! :wink:

I hope they add more of these fantastic plugins to Cubase setup but with better integration.

I would like if Steinberg made it possible to select example the “RND Portico Plugin-EQ” as selectable as the default “TRACK EQ” (if you want to). All with the include on board analyst so you don’t need to use plugin version working in Cubase 7 (if you don’t want to). You should be able to control it with hardware controller too.

To make it clear what I actual mean!

This one--------> http://macprovid.vo.llnwd.net/o43/hub/media/1093/8213/03_EQ.png

is the sound and use of “this one” integrated and selectable as the default Track EQ in Cubase 7--------> http://www.steinberg.net/uploads/pics/Neve_Portico_Equalizer_5033_Screen_shot_05.png

…a cool idea, right! :slight_smile:

Merry Christmas!

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/vst/rnd_portico_plug_ins/rnd_portico_plugins_start.html

Best Regards
Freddie

If you could control it with MCU, I would buy the plugin for this reason alone. An eq of that caliber available on every track as default would be indispensable.

Aloha D and +1.

Same here.

I put it on a ‘minimal setting’ and it sounds really nice.

And as BriHar posted:

This got me to thinking, what is being emulated or modelled in these plugin effects - not only what for a machine, but with what medium specifications?

Great point IMHO.
‘Ampex 456’ or ‘Agfa’ or something else?

As I remember from ‘back-in-da-day’;
when compared to Ampex, Agfa gave you an additional 2db at 10k.
So it had a bit more of a ‘sheen’ to it and you could
‘hit’ it a bit harder.

Sounds to my ears like some of that is going on here as well.
But it might just be the very kool eq features.

{‘-’}

I just tried Magneto II against a drum buss – it’s good!

A very smooth, clean drive.

It won’t get “nasty” (in a good way) like the Waves J37, but if a more subtle, woody drive that leaves the low-end mostly intact is needed, it delivers warm, crisp character.

I’ll definitely be using this.

Thanks, Freddie for bringing attention to this!

I mean, this is a religious thread, is it… I bet Magneto 2 is exactly the same algorithm as it was in old Magneto from 10 yrs ago, which nobody would ever dare to use on real tracks, what to speak of master track, because it was considered a toy. Now in Magneto 2 same exact algorithms suddenly sound better than Waves and SPL and so on… Marketing is really fun. With proper approach one can sell anything, jest repack it, and there it goes for gold…

cheers Freddie… as usual like your posts.

tried magneto and like it. didn’t notice the subtle effect it has as i only use it sparingly, never took any notice. but now have it spread-out on drums etc and sounds a lot nice and easy to use