Update from 6.5: not happy

Everything else...

Update from 6.5: not happy

Postby sonofnothing » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:36 am

Ever since my upgrade to Artist 7.5, I've encountered numerous, annoying to severe problems.

1. Cubase crashes a whole lot. Usually a bounce, track duplication, plug-in activation, etc. will cause the crashing

2. About a week into using it, the editor would turn pure white when, A.) the trim tool is selected(or option key is held, to quick trim). Or, B.) I'm dragging a piece of audio. At first it would start after the project was open and working for an hour or two. Bore recently, it starts almost immediately.

3. I started to record a drum session in the same project file I've been working in, and I noticed that my overheads, and mic under the snare weren't recording... I thought it was my cheap Chinese cable snake. I have since, hastily*, ordered a new snake from audiopile with Neutrik connectors :D But upon further inspection, my Onyx1640i is monitoring the channels perfectly. The snake is good, the mic pres are good.. So why did cubase just stop receiving signal on channels 5, 7, 9 from my Onyx? The device connections panel is set up the same way it always has been! The project was just fine a few days ago!

I'm really at wits end, because I just met with a band that I'm going to record(my first legitimate recording of a band that's not me on all the instruments and vocals), and I'm embarrassed, and unhopeful of a successful recording. I think I should return to 6.5 where things ran smoothly.

I have an unrelated question, if you please. I was reading a thread about heavy crashing. I was reading something about running in high or low latency mode. Am I understanding this correctly?; low latency mode uses more cpu, run this when tracking live. high latency mode uses less cpu, run this mode when editing and mixing? The technical stuff is all still a mystery to me, I've only been self taught on the program, and reading random articles about achieving my sonic goals.

Thank you
Cubase Artist 7.5
Mackie Onyx 1640i
2008 Harpertown MacPro 2.8 Quad Core x2, 24GB RAM, AMD 5770 1GB, OS X 10.9.1
sonofnothing

Re: Update from 6.5: not happy

Postby jb » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:22 pm

Yes you are probably better off in 6.5(.5) for a recording with other people, as you know it is stable. 7.5 still has a lot of issues.

About latency: your assumpions are correct. There are two different ways of working actualy:
1. Play all sounds trough your computer, even when recording (so then you can use and hear plugins "live".)
Obviously this will put a load on your cpu. In my experience 128 samples is a workable latency setting for your soundcard when recording live sound, you will still hear some "delay" (best noticeble on vocals, it sounds like a chorus or flanger) The latency also depends on your soundcard ADDA converter, the more oversampling the more delay. "roundtrip"latency (=ADDA converters + computer latency) is the latency that counts.

2. use "direct monitoring" and your soundcard mixer or an external mixing desk for monitoring live sound and mixing your already recorded computer tracks. Now your souncard mixer, or an external mixer is handeling the monitoring, not your computer. Thus less cpu load, AND you can set your latency settings higher to make things easier for the computer (give it more time to calculate things, it wil still playback pre-recorded things at the right "time". Live things now will have a notiable delay when you would switch off direct monitoring.)

The downside of this: now you cannot use guitar-amp plugins, or other effects from the computer to enhance your sound while recording.

You might wanna find some way to be able to change this settings quick and easy, for example by adding cubase keycommands and OS shortcuts for this settings.

google 'direct monitoring" or/and "DAW latency for more info on this subject:

http://www.jakerock.com/DIYAUDIO_articl ... TORING.htm

It is very well possible to run a full band setup trough your computer with low latency, this is what I do all the time. It depends heavyly on the capabilities if your "total" system, and the plugins you (wanna) use, so this will be different for every setup. As you can see in my sign my computer is a bit outdated like yours (no offense :)) , so it can be done..
Studio: Cubase 6.5.5 (& 7.5) 32 bits on Windows 7 64 bit.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov10/a ... 64-bit.htm (tip).

Intel I7 4930K @3.4Ghz/Asus P9X79/16gb/NVIDIA GeForce GT 610/2x RME Digiface PCI
Intel Q6600 @2.40Ghz /Asus P5K/4gb/NVIDIA GeForce 850 GT/RME multiface PCI
Controllers:
Ipad2/16gb, Lemur running customized 16channel Mackie control and multiple 14 bits generic remote templates, presonus faderport, BCR2000, 2x BCF 2000
jb

Postby sonofnothing » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:26 pm

thanks a bunch man! I use direct monitoring recording guitars and bass, etc. not so much for vocals, because i am recording myself, and I can hear the latency... Throws me off..

Im still curious. there's a button or switch somewhere for "high/low latency" or am i just going into my device manager and manually changing the buffer size?

I can understand monitoring through my Onyx directly, while recording a drummer, but then during playback and mixing, i would not be touching the faders on the Onyx, because they won't affect the recorded sounds inside the DAW. I only say this, because I gathered from your post that I should be using my sound card to mix...

Thanks for the help.
Cubase Artist 7.5
Mackie Onyx 1640i
sonofnothing

Postby jamusic » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:39 am

sonofnothing wrote:Im still curious. there's a button or switch somewhere for "high/low latency" or am i just going into my device manager and manually changing the buffer size?

I don't have a Mac, but since he didn't reply back, I'll take a stab and say that you'll have to manually change the buffer size, as we do in Windows based systems - no button or switch that I'm aware of.

I doubt it's in Device Manager - it isn't for Windows, at least.

For most, as well as me, it's usually in your sound card settings, [or on rare occasion, in the DAW itself], but from my experience, the DAWs usually have you set this in the sound card itself.

I always just set it to '256' and forget about it.

I never seem to have to change it from there.
-C7.5.20 -Win 7-x64 Home -Intel i7-2600k -ASUS P8Z68 V-Pro -Antec High Current 520w -16 Gigs RAM
-Hyper 212+ CPU Cooler -3 SSDs -WD 1TB Black Caviar Hard Drive -2 WD & 1 Touro 1TB External USB 3 Drives
-TC Electronic SK 48 Audio Interface -Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 Mixer -Roland UM-550 MIDI Interface
-Neumann TLM 103 Mic -DBX 376 Tube Channel Strip Pre Amp/Comp -ART DPS II Tube Pre -Amp
-Yamaha P-200/88 & Nektar Panorama P6/61 Keyboards -V-Drums/Roland TD-6
-4003 Rickenbacker Fireglow Bass -5 Guitars -4 Sound Modules

jamusic

Postby sonofnothing » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:00 am

I just dealt with some glitches, but it's been running at a medium pace all weekend. I actually haven't slept in about 43 hours hah. She is running smooth as a top now. [OK HAND SIGN]
Cubase Artist 7.5
Mackie Onyx 1640i
sonofnothing

Return to Miscellaneous