Alternatives to Replace Audio In Video

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Alternatives to Replace Audio In Video

Postby unstruck » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:13 pm

Hi-

I switched to Cubase from Pro Tools a year or so ago and am tremendously happy with the features Cubase offers.

One feature that I really miss in Pro Tools is the ability to 'Bounce To Quicktime.' I'm aware that Cubase has the 'replace audio in video' feature, but that has it's limitations.

Has anyone out there found a good solution to this? I often make Quicktime previews of my work and Cubase doesn't seem to be capable of exporting audio to a specific portion of a video file. Are there any other good software options that could supplement Cubase in this regard??

Thanks for any suggestions!
unstruck

Re: Alternatives to Replace Audio In Video

Postby GargoyleStudio » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:29 pm

Only commenting here to say that I have also found that Cubase fails to replace the audio in my videos. The videos load fine and the audio is extracted fine but replacement hasn't worked for years, since the old SX version I reckon.

I've got no quick solution I'm afraid. Most recently I simply had to load up an old version of Premiere on an old PC and re-render it all. The problem with that of course is that the video is decompressed and then recompressed at some 'guess' settings because I'm no video expert!

I wish there was some updating in this part of the application.

Mike.
[Win7x64, Cb7.5]
GargoyleStudio

Postby jpgtr » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:51 am

Quick and easy method: Use Quicktime Pro 7 for simple track replacement (among other editing capabilities). ($30)
2012 Mac Pro 10.8.4, 24 GB RAM, Cubase 7.0.6 (and 6.0.7), UAD-2 Duo
jpgtr

Postby Headlands » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:16 pm

jpgtr wrote:Quick and easy method: Use Quicktime Pro 7 for simple track replacement (among other editing capabilities). ($30)

This is the best method right now, as far as speed. It's a poor Band Aid for something that should be working in Cubase (especially for the many of us who work to video for a living), but it's the best and quickest at the moment. Pro Tools almost always does it perfectly on my PC, so I see no reason why Cubase/Nuendo shouldn't be able to.
Nuendo 6 and Cubase 7.5, Win 7 x64, 16GB RAM, UAD2-QUAD, Lynx Aurora 8, RME HDSPe, lots and lots of toys.
Headlands

Postby unstruck » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:35 pm

Thanks for the suggestion to use QT7 Pro. I use that to export lower res videos for easy upload, but had forgotten that it could Trim to Selection and add audio tracks.

I may resort to using Final Cut. I'd rather not have to export an audio file of the entire length of a film then add it to a quicktime file then trim to send out a scene or two. Final Cut will allow me to bounce a cue from Cubase and spot it using time code rather than having to use the absolute beginning of the video file as a reference.

This is definitely one area where Pro Tools really has the upper hand over Cubase.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
unstruck

Return to Steinberg Lounge