Help pls - Hide muted notes in score?

Hiya,

Can’t seem to find any info on this one, hoping someone can help.

Is there a way to hide muted notes in the score?

Also, hide notes that are outside the boundaries of midi parts as well?

I quite often leave notes muted or beyond boundaries in the midi parts for alternative use later, e.g. if I’m testing different inversions say or I’m duping a passage but it’s shorter. But I see all the hidden notes in the score, can’t seem to get these to hide at all. Any help gratefully received. Thanks!

Mike.

To hide notes in the score, highlight the required notes, then click on “H” in the functions (there is no default key command for this), you can then use the Hidden Notes tick box to show and hide them. Use “H” again to show them again.

Be careful you don’t highlight bar lines, or they will be hidden as well.

Note, this only hides notes, it does not mute them.

Perhaps a mute tool in the score editor like the key editor could go on the feature requests list, as you would have thought that if something is muted (in the key editor), the score editor shouldn’t show it anyway.

To mute a note or group of notes, select them, then from the Edit menu select “Mute” (Shift+M, Shift+U to Unmute). Muted notes will be “greyed out” in the score. To hide notes in the score, right click on the selected note(s) and select “Hide/Show”. To toggle the visibility of any hidden notes in the score, tick/untick the “Hidden Notes” checkbox located on the “Filter Bar”.

To restrict the playback and visibility to certain note ranges (boundaries) on a track by track basis, refer to the Cubase Operation Manual p.778 (Staff settings).

Would it be more helpful to copy tracks, say, violin 1 (already written part). Call the copy violin 1 (score), mute it. Do your playback edits on the original and your score edits on the copy. I know it’s not that simple but some users like to both read the score to check while the track plays back. Really only works when you have finished the original for playback I guess and could be unwieldy for very large arrangements. Just a suggestion for a starting point for tricky scoring of a few sections where to leave the midi part that sounds good but the score looks messy so you then have a scoring part/track to tidy up visually (which would then sound awful), especially if you check it on playback.
Hope I explained that well.

Cool! Many thanks to both of you, that’s the ticket.

One further question though… I tend to use the piano roll editor for muting because it’s just generally easier for me, so does that mean that in Score I have to select all the unmuted notes and click Hide, or is there a ‘hide muted notes’ option?

Also weird now because Score is now hiding notes beyond boundaries, maybe it was operator error although I thought I twiddled a few times to check what was happening. It could have been some sort of quantise discrepancy perhaps. I’ll keep an eye on this one.

I’m creating a piano interpretation of an orchestral score so I really need to see both score and piano roll side-by-side so I can verify the score and edit and recording into the piano roll or project track (because that’s what I’m most familiar with!). I’m in need of a 3rd monitor now of course :slight_smile:

Right-ho. Thanks again.

Mike.

There’s no built in command, but you can create one using a Logical Editor preset in a macro with the hide command.

type     --equal to      --note
Property --property is set --event is muted

save the preset as, say. ‘hide muted notes’

Create a macro to make this a one-keystroke command:

macro:
Process Logical Preset – hide muted notes
Score Functions - Hide

Thanks Steve! Implemented and working, nice, just the job :slight_smile:

Aha, the plot thickens… The business with the boundaries…

If I view a single part in the score then the score ‘ends’ when the part ends and any extra notes beyond the part boundary aren’t displayed.

But, if I view that same part with another part (multiple select) which is after the first part (it can be on the same track or a different track) then the extra notes are displayed.

This I would say is a bug because the midi won’t be sent to any instrument or output so it should either appear as greyed out, like muted, or shouldn’t appear at all. It’s inconsistent at the moment I’d say.

Mike.

Sorry I misunderstood your first post in respect to the term boundaries. I thought you were referring to note ranges of instruments. Yes it seems that if you mute a part in the project window and view it in the score, it still shows the notes, even though they aren’t heard. It would be better if rests were displayed or at least the notes/symbols greyed out as you mention, just to alleviated possible confusion.

(Harcourt posted while I was editing this post… )

You’re right, you could see it as a missing feature: an additional coloring option in the Colors for Additional Meanings pref for notes outside the part boundaries. (and I seem to vaguely recall that this was true at some point.)

But if you instead split the part so the not-in-use-notes are in different part, only the selected parts will show their notes in the Score Editor. This could present some difficulties in not selecting those parts when you want to open the others in Score Edit, which you could address with a PLE preset to select parts not named , etc…

Another suggestion is to use the Arrange track together with the track versioning feature of v7.5 rather than muting parts - that way you can try out out various permutations/versions of your compositions.

In most cases I can’t cut the part because it’s a ghost (shared copy) part…

For example, let’s say it’s a something like the final chorus which is exactly the same as previous apart from the last two chords which are double length. So, to save time I ghost the chorus part, wind back the boundary to hide the two chords and add a new part with the two longer chords in… And if I change the chorus main then it reflects through the whole song - which is v. useful.

But of course, when my job is done and the score is fixed in place, then I can turn it all into ‘real copies’ and snip hidden chords out, or I can hide them in the score editor meantime. Just not ideal. In fact, if I glue the parts together then the hidden notes beyond boundaries are removed anyway, that’s a quick way of doing it but it loses the visual part indications.

So, yes, two shades of greying out is needed in the score editor, as it is in the piano roll editor. And options to hide all muted and otherwise not-played notes too.

Mike.

Have to look this up myself but can you use the “layers” function somehow? I suppose Score doesn’t hide the muted notes because they’re still there. Score (the main) preferences may help here but again I usually leave these as is so I’m not altogether sure. Long time since I hit the score manual.

It’s not a quesiton of muted notes, but notes outside the part boundary.

Thanks. Long time since I looked. :blush:

I’ve now noticed that the same kind of un-hiding of hidden notes happens in the track ‘summary’ lane, e.g. if there’s parts with notes beyond the boundaries on the lanes below then under similar ‘overlapping’ circumstances the hidden notes which don’t appear in the lanes are actually displayed in the track summary lane. Of course, the big problem is that when you spot these rogue notes you’ve got no idea which part they’re in because the lanes don’t show the notes. They don’t get played obviously but they do clutter up the main track lane.

Mike.

Part boundaries…
If your situation is that you have several Parts on a MIDI track, and, for example, one of them has notes that occur beyond the Part start or end boundaries, these notes will normally be visible, unless you do…
Preferences>Scores>Editing>“Unlock Layouts when editing single parts”.
One caveat with this, however… If you have already done some Layout editing (e.g. spacing of bars etc.) on the staff containing these MIDI Parts, you will lose the Layout editing when you change the status of that Preference.

This was really helpful. In CubasePro8 manual the relevant page starts at 1152. On 1162 the talk about setting “note limits”. Note that If the “Hide Notes beyond limits” option has to be activated in the Preferences dialog (Scores–Editing page), for notes outside the Note Limits range to be hidden.

Thanks again and cheers.