Is midi recording non-destructive?

Aloha P,
In all my years of using Cubase I have not seen non-destructive MIDI.

1-Not nearly the same as non-destruct but there is a feature called:
‘Retrospect Recording’ where you can get back a short period of time of MIDI played into Cubase while not recording.
Not sure if it works while recording but probably not.
Check page 128 in the manual.

_Retrospective Record
This feature allows you to capture any MIDI notes you play in Stop mode or during playback and turn them into a MIDI part “after the fact”. This is possible due to the fact that Cubase can capture MIDI input in buffer memory, even when not recording.
Proceed as follows:

1. Enable the “Retrospective Record”option in the Preferences dialog (Record–MIDI page).
    This activates the buffering of MIDI input, making Retrospective Record possible.
  2. Make sure a MIDI track is record-enabled.
  3. When you have played some MIDI material you want to capture (eitherinStop mode or during playback), select Retrospective Record from the Transport menu (or use the key command, by default [Shift]-Num_[*]).
    [/size][/i]

2-Using ‘Reset Quantize’ you can take a MIDI note(s) back to it’s original recorded quantize position.

3-Perhaps the Cubase ‘Auto Save’ feature could work in your favor in this regard.

Other than those examples, I don’t know of a way to retrieve previously recorded MIDI data.

Perhaps someone else could chime in on this.

Good Luck.
{‘-’}