Where do you click to focus the MixConsole?

Post general topics related to Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 here.

Where do you click to focus the MixConsole?

Postby mpayne0 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:55 pm

If I have the arrangement window large enough to cover half the mixer, I am finding a very hard time figuring out a "safezone" to click over. Most of the mixer is hotspot and activates some contextual.

Currently I am tracking all the way to the far bottom of mixer to find the 4 grey squares, on some channels 2 of those squares are blank, and safe. This is a lot of navigation.

What am I doing wrong. I don't prefer a command for this.
mpayne0

Re: Where do you click to focus the MixConsole?

Postby johngar » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:25 pm

on a PC, Control+Tab will cycle focus to the next open window. So if you only have the Mixer and the Project widow open, this will toggle the focus.
on Mac I think it is Command+Tab.
you could program a macro so it is only one keystroke, no mouse needed.
PC | Nuendo 6.5 64bit | Cubase 7.5 64bit| i7920 | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | 12gb ram | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | NVIDIA GeForce GTX550Ti | RME9632 | Euphonix MC Control -Mix - Transport | Genelec |

MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz i7 | OS X 10.9 | MOTU 828MKII |

elfxi.com
johngar

Postby mpayne0 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:45 pm

I guess most people have shortcuts...

but for anyone who doesn't (I have 1000s of software shortcuts to remember for my day job, no more space!)
what are you aiming for?
mpayne0

Postby SirJoseph » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:48 pm

This may or may-not help you, but I use what used to be called "Exposé" in OSX. Its been merged with "Mission Control" now, but serves the same needs. It allows me to use gestures (a 3 finger swipe) on my trackpad to jump between different spaces (desktops), all items open in the currently focused app, as well as all items open on the OS. This makes working on a laptop much easier, imo.

Im sure Windows has some built in feature that exposes all the windows/items open in an app. And if not, I know there will be 3rd party apps.

Again, I dont know if this will help, but its how I manage to deal with focusing windows/apps/plug-ins. Good luck!
15'' Macbook Pro Mid 2012 2.3 10.9+ 8gb 750gb 7200rpm, 500gb 5400
MOTU Ultralite | Motif XS6 + FW | Akai MPK25 | Korg K25
Rode NT1 | Shure BETA 87A | Audix OM2
Cubase SX2, 4, 5, 6, 7+
NI Komplete 5, 7 | EWQL Symphonic Choirs
Tascam VL-X5 | Sony MDR-V900 | MDR-7509 | Audio Technica ATH-M50 | Technics SA-GX650 | KLH 8s, 15s
Stanton STR8-60 (2) | Stanton SK-ONE
SirJoseph

Postby Niles » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:01 pm

I click on the VU meter or the fader area (slider mode set to touch so it won't jump).
Niles

Postby mpayne0 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:57 pm

I was never able to wrap my head around expose, I wanted to. I have been meaning to re-familiarize myself with the latest incarnation of it. I also am an old dog and only use mouse, I refuse to learn gestures!

clicking the peak meter... yes that's a little better, but it resets it (if that's important to you).

I guess my point is that it is something they should consider... whether clicking the (out-of-focus) mixer should open a context menu, or should I click to focus the mixer first, then it can respond to contextual menu areas.
mpayne0

Postby jpgtr » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:49 pm

Not a problem here, as my mixer has it's own monitor... : ) Dual monitors rule for mixing!

My "hotspot" problem with C7 mixer is I now have to watch out where I engage a horizontal scroll (using an Apple mouse). Constantly messing up pans and send levels depending on where the cursor is ... One of the reasons why I'm finding it really hard to move on from v6. :? Whereas before I could whip around the mixer with a quick flick of the finger, now I have to interrupt my flow of thought and think about how I'm going to scroll to off-screen channels. Blah!
2012 Mac Pro 10.8.4, 24 GB RAM, Cubase 7.0.6 (and 6.0.7), UAD-2 Duo
jpgtr

Postby Ian s » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:54 am

Since C7 and MixConsole this has been something I've been aware of too. it's very easy to inadvertently alter something on the MixConsole.

I click on the meter bars to focus.
C7.06 | W7 | MR816CSX | CC121| ES-175D | Es-345
Ian s

Postby Rhino » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:03 pm

Nowhere.

The 6.5 mixer always has focus, so does the project window. 8-)
No accidental change of mixer settings, working keycommands, working Generic Remote, working (!) workspaces, fast plugin menu, no Kermit view in mixer, easy CR submixes, relatively few bugs, no showstoppers ...
Hard to beat a well thought out product like that.
ymmv,
Rhino
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino

Postby iBM » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:45 pm

Rhino wrote:Nowhere.

No accidental change of mixer settings, working keycommands, working Generic Remote, working (!) workspaces, fast plugin menu, no Kermit view in mixer, easy CR submixes, relatively few bugs, no showstoppers ...
ymmv,
Rhino

+1
TSR - Now a division under The Tower Studio Suite - Run by my uncles nephew

Win7/Win8 x64 | Intel i5 2500/3570K | 16 GB RAM | MOTU PCIe-424 w/ 24io x 2 / 2408 / 308
Cubase 6.5.5 - Nuendo 5.5.6 | CC121 | Slate Digital | Softube | Sonnox | SoundToys | +++
C7.5/N6 is installed on several test systems only.
Dynaudio BM15A | Universal Audio 8110/LA-610SE/2-610 | TLAudio 5052/C1/PA-1 |
TC Electronics R4000/M3000/M-One/D-Two | +++
iBM

Postby greggybud » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:41 pm

johngar wrote:on a PC, Control+Tab will cycle focus to the next open window. So if you only have the Mixer and the Project widow open, this will toggle the focus.

Yes it will. The only other tool to get around is a Key Command to make the focus go back to the project page.

Unfortunately I think Control+Tab is a Windows shortcut? Therefore you won't find this listed as a Key Command in Cubase. That's no problem of course...until you use a controller where you are attempting to assign a Key Command to an assignable function button on your controller.
Windows 7 x64, Wavelab 8, Cubase 7.5 x64, i7, 16g, SSD, 4 monitors, iCon QconPro, 4 TB HD, UAD-2, NI, Waves Mercury, and way too many synthesizers.
greggybud

Postby johngar » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:50 pm

greggybud wrote:
johngar wrote:on a PC, Control+Tab will cycle focus to the next open window. So if you only have the Mixer and the Project widow open, this will toggle the focus.

Yes it will. The only other tool to get around is a Key Command to make the focus go back to the project page.

Unfortunately I think Control+Tab is a Windows shortcut? Therefore you won't find this listed as a Key Command in Cubase. That's no problem of course...until you use a controller where you are attempting to assign a Key Command to an assignable function button on your controller.

That's right.
You know I get so used to my Artist controller being able to make custom key commands I forget that you can't do the same with the Cubase macro set. :oops:
I have a custom button my MC that I have named "toggle" that is programmed with Control+Tab, that cycles focus through all open windows.
PC | Nuendo 6.5 64bit | Cubase 7.5 64bit| i7920 | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | 12gb ram | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | NVIDIA GeForce GTX550Ti | RME9632 | Euphonix MC Control -Mix - Transport | Genelec |

elfxi.com
johngar

Postby greggybud » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:37 pm

johngar wrote:I have a custom button my MC that I have named "toggle" that is programmed with Control+Tab, that cycles focus through all open windows.

I don't understand this. How do you have an assignable button that you nave named "toggle" on your MC to cycle focus through all open windows? Alt+tab is not listed under Cubase key commands therefore to my knowledge it's not possible to assign it to your MC.

What am I missing here? (I don't use a MC, but I think the Icon uses MC protocol.)
Windows 7 x64, Wavelab 8, Cubase 7.5 x64, i7, 16g, SSD, 4 monitors, iCon QconPro, 4 TB HD, UAD-2, NI, Waves Mercury, and way too many synthesizers.
greggybud

Postby suntower » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:17 pm

Yeah, I've ranted about this in the F/R forum about 4,123,602 times. My Groucho-answer?

Don't bother trying.

Seriously. I try to -avoid- MixConsole. It reminds me too much of that old game OPERATION...

....if you touch the sides? You blew it Charlie.

There should be a mode where:

Single Click... selects the channel
Double-Click -activates- all the channel gizmos.
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 1TB HD, Win7/64 Ult
Second: Q8400 16gb RAM 3 1TB HD, Win7/64
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase 7.5, iCPro, WL7,
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums
suntower

Postby johngar » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:07 pm

greggybud wrote:
johngar wrote:I have a custom button my MC that I have named "toggle" that is programmed with Control+Tab, that cycles focus through all open windows.

I don't understand this. How do you have an assignable button that you nave named "toggle" on your MC to cycle focus through all open windows? Alt+tab is not listed under Cubase key commands therefore to my knowledge it's not possible to assign it to your MC.

What am I missing here? (I don't use a MC, but I think the Icon uses MC protocol.)

MC as in Artist MC Control.
You can program windows key commands on the Artist MC for the touchscreen, (not just Cubase key commands) , you can name it what you want. I have this button in several locations on my custom touch screens to toggle window focus.
You can also program any combination of windows key commands, cubase commands and Eucon commands and even string them together for powerful macros.

elfxi.com
johngar

Postby greggybud » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:47 am

johngar wrote:MC as in Artist MC Control.

Got it! I was thinking Mackie Control.
greggybud

Postby AP » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:22 am

jpgtr wrote:Not a problem here, as my mixer has it's own monitor... : ) Dual monitors rule for mixing!

My "hotspot" problem with C7 mixer is I now have to watch out where I engage a horizontal scroll (using an Apple mouse). Constantly messing up pans and send levels depending on where the cursor is ... One of the reasons why I'm finding it really hard to move on from v6. :? Whereas before I could whip around the mixer with a quick flick of the finger, now I have to interrupt my flow of thought and think about how I'm going to scroll to off-screen channels. Blah!

Yes I agree. 2 monitors is the ideal way of mixing. Very smooth.
Cubase 7.5.20, 15" MacBook Pro i7, SSD, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.9.4 UR28M, CMC.
AP

Postby Niles » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:34 am

AP wrote:Yes I agree. 2 monitors is the ideal way of mixing. Very smooth.

For OSX that might be true, for Windows it's a different story because the plugin editors hide behind the mix console when you focus on the mix console. Really annoying!
Niles

Postby mpayne0 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:03 pm

Rhino wrote:Nowhere.

ymmv,
Rhino

I agree but there are a lot of great features in the new console, enough for me to deal with the gymnastics involved.

I'm probably gaining more in terms of desk efficiency than I'm losing by the navigation.

But you would think that with all the squeezing and contracting we can do it wouldn't be an issue, I guess that's what they thought, but when you get into a mixer that has the channels squashed into an accordion, that, yeah asking too much.
mpayne0

Postby Rhino » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:35 am

mpayne0 wrote:there are a lot of great features in the new console, enough for me to deal with the gymnastics involved.
I'm probably gaining more in terms of desk efficiency than I'm losing by the navigation.

No arguments, it's down to personal workflow.
Fwiw, I do see some positive aspects in C7/C7.5.
And I spent way too many hours in my test install of 7.0, trying to make it work, I really wanted to.
After checking 7.07 I gave up, it's supposed to be the best Steinberg can do atm.
Or they would certainly not call it the final update, right ?

Let's take a quick look at 3 of the biggest complaints, there is a boatload of other stuff too.
-- Broken KC / GR focus - nobody ever came up with any positive reasoning for this extreme workflow killer, nobody, not even Steinberg, so I guess it's safe to call it a huge bug. Why has it not been fixed 1 1/2 years later, not even in 7.5 ?
-- Completely incomplete implementation of those "mixer view presets" with the complicated name, good idea on paper, first thing I tested in 7.0.0. Still not ready for use, 1 1/2 years later - not properly integrated with workspaces, buggy on project reload, not including all visual aspects of the mixer, and worst of all, not even a way of making them system-wide or even only transfer them between projects - I guess it's impossible to describe a sensible workflow using this placebo.
At the same time workspaces have not been upgraded to include all the new good or bad mixer features.
Bottom line - it's no-man's land, there is no reliable method of recalling a visual mixer state in 7.x anymore, 1 1/2 years later.
Epic fail.
-- Last for now, the plethora of mixer zoom issues, again, not tolerable for any serious work - though, admittedly, the Channel Kermit View has quickly become a running gag among clients - too bad it always happens in exactly the wrong moment, so for client work it was quickly back to 6.5, these things are not acceptable.
Kermit's still alive and well today, 1 1/2 years later. Clients don't see him anymore though.

This list could go on over pages, and we're not even talking controversial design decisions here, we're talking workflow-killing bugs, plain and simple. 1 1/2 years later. No improvements in sight, nothing, not even for 7.5.

ymmv as far as these things concern you personally, they are reality however, not caused by user error or system specs.
1 1/2 years later.
Rhino
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)
Rhino

Postby mrjixies » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:22 am

As long as there are enough morons BUYING the updates/new versions, there will be no incentive to steinberg to fix these major bugs for free...

I'm not a long time user of cubase But I got allready a nasty taste in my mouth from this company...
Processor: Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard: Intel DP67BG
Ram: 16GB Kingston DDR3 1333Mhz 1.5v
Graphics: Zotac GeForce GTX 560 1GB
HD: SSD OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, 3 Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Audio: TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6
MIDI: Edirol UM-2EX

Software: Cubase 7.0.2
mrjixies

Postby Anando » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:15 am

But if no moron BUYS updates/new versions, the developers would have to work for free. Working for free doesn't provide an incentive to fix major bugs.

So we should BUY updates and should NOT BUY updates. Outch! Help!
Cubase 7.5 x64 • Win7 x64 • Intel i7-3770K 3,5 GHz • Asus P8Z77-V Pro • MOTU UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid (USB)
Anando

Postby mrjixies » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:22 am

Anando wrote:But if no moron BUYS updates/new versions, the developers would have to work for free. Working for free doesn't provide an incentive to fix major bugs.

So we should BUY updates and should NOT BUY updates. Outch! Help!

To my latest knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong?) we PAID about 550 euro for cubase 7 or 150 for the update. I don't call that free...
mrjixies

Postby Plan9 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:02 am

I Use Workspaces, the key F3 or click on the border.

P9.
---------------------------------
Sony Vaio SVE1711Z1EB (I7- 3612QM 2.1GHz Passmark 6869/ Windows 7 Home) / Cubase 7.5.10 64Bit / Komplete Audio 6 / iPad 3 / Cubase IC Pro / M-AUDIO AXIOM 49 (2ND GEN)
Plan9

Postby Anando » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:44 am

mrjixies wrote:To my latest knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong?) we PAID about 550 euro for cubase 7 or 150 for the update. I don't call that free...

You talked about bug fixing for free, not about the non-controversial fact that we all paid for C7 / C7.5.

You implicitly stated the proposition: If one wants to get bugs fixed, one should increase the pressure by not buying any more products or updates from Steinberg. I personally think this is not constructive. Eventually, a company will not fix bugs but get bankrupt if no one pays for their products. Besides all this: They did fix bugs for free already.

Of course I would be happy to get a bug free product right from the start. Of course I know that this is only possible in utopia land.

Additionally, you called everyone a moron, who pays for new versions and updates. I paid for C7.
Cubase 7.5 x64 • Win7 x64 • Intel i7-3770K 3,5 GHz • Asus P8Z77-V Pro • MOTU UltraLite-mk3 Hybrid (USB)
Anando

Next

Return to General