Why 7.5 and 7.5.1 is not called beta?

but to say that it’s a HUGE loss in productivity I think is a bit of an exaggeration.

And it’s these exaggerations that lead to developers looking at the “complaints” and saying “Ho, hum, another beta studio owner calling the ambulance out for a zit.” and then go to work on the real issues. Without that “HUGE” they’d probably fix it in ten seconds without thinking about it.

Other than the fact that they broke it moving from C6 to C7, said they would fix it and haven’t. Other than the fact that many of us invested $$$$ in controllers that don’t work correctly anymore. Other than many of us don’t use a mouse AT ALL. I didn’t even used to have one on my mixing desk until C7. Other than it kills 3 major functions that worked well at one time (keycommands, window sets, mixer configs). Other than if you work on multiple monitors with 300+ track projects, all the clicky clicky clicky isn’t just a minor annoyance or a loss of .001 seconds. It forces you to use the interface with a mouse, which is actually counterproductive AND for some us actually painful (literally … I have hand issues).

Other than that, I agree with you :unamused:

This would warrant calling the software beta?? Also, my question to you would be… if you don’t like what it has to offer, or if it’s truly causing you physical pain and taking a HUGE toll on your workflow, why bother with the upgrade? 6.5 still works just fine for you apparently, as it and all previous versions should considering the install was untouched by 7. So where are the wasted $$$$ on controllers exactly?? Sounds like sticking with 6.5 would make you much happier… Others, myself included seem to be just fine on 7.5… So back to the topic at hand, should it be called a beta stage product?? I think not… :unamused:

Not 7.5 or 7.5.01, but 7.0 to me was absolutely a beta version. No mix console KC’s, KC’s left out that were in 6.5, horrible sizing/zoom issues, etc.

Somewhere this topic morphed from “beta” to “show stopping.” IMO show stopping is a much more gray area depending on how you use Cubase and the level you use it at.

After 15 months don’t you think this mix console focus issue, the mute/solo issue, (which Steinberg says will be fixed in the next update even though some users are not experiencing it) and a host of other problems should have been addressed by now?

Instead, we have seen improved Loop Mash, revised Magneto, an unsizeable instrument rack that makes it more difficult to delete instruments, another reverb, and track versions. Addressing the things broken from 6.5 to 7 would have been a good start instead of the above. How about presets that actually remember the routing? Or when changing the configurations how about it remembers your zoom levels?

While the 7.5.2 fix list looks better than the prior fix list I’m setting my sights low. Hopefully I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Did anyone make a feature request for this?

@bjones306 - I sense a bit of arrogance here.

If not a Beta per se, it is definitively an “in the works” version transitioning between the prior and the next major version.

Here is something I have written earlier, put together from various posts and forums, regarding workflow issues with the new Mix Console and Control Room.
Please read (there are also some suggestion for the Forum/Steinberg at the end):

I work, for the most part with Audio, in multiple mics/full band tracking scenarios (of course some Midi and Vsti’s).
This is what I call “traditional” music production in a Tracking/Overdubbing/Editing/Mixing/Mastering kind of fashion.

In the above scenario, the new Control Room is a HUGE workflow killer, close to useless (clumsy, timeconsuming, and a click fest) compared to the old one in Cubase 6.

The new Control Room is a clickfest galore, especially in a “full band” tracking scenario. Difficult to see all that much info at a glance, without “tabbing” and clicking.
Small horizontal sliders vs the old vertical Faders, small horizontal meters vs the old vertical meters.

The old (C6.5) could also show all insert with one touch of a button (toggle between the larger meters and the inserts across all cue mixes in one go).

Please tell me you got some plans for this??? For my part, this has to be changed (back) in C8.
Or else I have to wipe dust of my old monitor mixer (God forbid) :unamused:

The new Mix Console, is for me a HUGE workflow killer, as it brings me out of my creative mood, thinking about things that interrupts my creative mixing experience. It makes me “think” (how?, where?, status/info? etc…) more than “act” on creative decisions.
To always have to remember to click in the mixer to get Key Commands working etc, is close to the Beta stage appearance IMO.

The hovering pop-ups (everywhere), and the “Focus Frame” that “follows” you around, is just annoying.
What mission does the White Outlined “Focus Frame” have? I know when I touch a fader or other parameter!!!
Why the pop-ups to tell me that an empty slot is…empty?

IMO the whole “Focus Frame/system” has never worked good in any version of Cubase 7/7.5 and Nuendo 6.

With normal to big sized projects, it still is faster to work in C6.5/Nuendo 5.5. Friends in different forums, that works in a simular fashion to me, have reported the same.
So, the big question:
Who do Steinberg listen to, and who are beta testing new/changed/fixed features for the C8/N7 cycle?

PS. For me to have discussions over the Control Room and Mix Console with electronic music makers, Loopmash addicts, midi composers etc… is meaningless, and a source of misunderstandings and reasons for forum fights.

Under follows a suggestion on how to devide the Forum into more sensible departements.
It should be easier for users to discuss suggestions and needs, and easier for Steinberg to pick up the needs, fixes, suggestions, and solutions needed for the different working styles.

Steinberg should devide their forum by “function”:

1. Traditional Music Production (tracking, overdubbing, editing, mixing, mastering).
  2. Electronic Music Producion (Midi, beatmakers, loop based composers etc.)
  3. Song Writers and Composers
  4. “fill in suggestions”

To throw all different cubase users in one pot is not a way to agree on “anything” IMO, and Steinberg can lean back
without having to make any conclusions/decisions based on user feedback.

You and I (as well as the general software market as a whole) have a FAR different opinion of what a beta release is. Your list of bugs is actually quite short compared to what you would see in a beta… or for that matter the list of bugs you see in some full production releases by other software companies.

Not at all… I would argue that your post probably shows more in the arrogance department… The majority of your complaints cater to you and you’re personal situation and workflow… If SB saw a huge drop in sales on 7.5 vs 6 I am sure they would run right back to the old design. As I don’t have sales numbers on hand personally, I can’t say how that will go. Does your specific subsection of users constitute that much in sales? Couldn’t tell you… But for the time being this is the current design. No one is forcing you to use 7.5 if you are not comfortable with it. But again, to say it’s in a beta stage due to a few bugs (which I hope they fix as well), and it’s not catering to your specific situation and what you personally like in cases like the control room or mix console, is more than a bit of a stretch. And maybe a tad bit arrogant? :neutral_face:

Someone here though about beta progression program to next major upgrade, all looks like that.

I can see people offended by the post. Why? For most of professional old user like me Cubase 7 does not “work as expected” as Steinberg says himself, since version 7.0 to .2.3.5.6. and 7.5 and 7.5.10, looks like in 15 months beta progression test. Some other like cubase 7 because they are fans. Ok no problem, but the reality is there, Cubase 7.5.10 works better then all the other versions of course but it still not working like Cubase 6.5.5, I’m personally tired to wait and pay for beta progressions test, and probably I will buy Cubase 8 yes, but for starting use Cubase 7.5.40 (probably) will be the best cubase version again. From my side all looks like a payable beta testing period. Another strange thing is I waited 12 months for downloading a demo version of cubase 7.5, was never released 7.0 or 7.0.6 demo version why? I’ve asked a friend his licence key to test it and i’ve found big issues “IMHO”. Sorry to say that, I love cubase.

I tried to explain that we all have different needs, working styles and workflows.

For your info, I am still on Cubase 6.5.5 and Nuendo 5.5.6 in my studio. Works great :wink:

I have two test computers (win7 and win8) with Cubase 7.5 and Nuendo 6 installed in my home/edit suite. Don’t work so great (for me).

No arrogance here. That’s why I also have the suggestion for changing the Forum a bit, in accordance of function, workstyle, and different working and production methods. For better and more constructive discussions.
No arrogance there :slight_smile:

What working and/or music style are you working within? You may be at the other end of where I am, who knows? No one knows before you tell us :wink:

It just depends on what you use it for.

I use it for MIDI, and without new features such as Chord Recognition I’d maybe not have bought it so in all I am personally happy.

Primarily it’s rock and pop productions. When doing tracking sessions I also still prefer 6.5. I also prefer the old control room as well. When mixing a project I actually enjoy working in 7.5. For film/tv scoring work I’m stuck on 6.5 until I get my personal video issue straightened out with SB. For reasons yet determined (probably a hardware or 3rd party software specific reason) the video engine is giving me issues, but as it’s situational and not reported as a wide spread bug I am working through it with SB support directly. But writing and composing in 7.5 minus the video functions has been great as well. Small tracking sessions here and there, mixing sessions, and VSTi compositions go just fine in 7.5. I do see some small bugs here and there but nothing that’s adding hours to my work, or is a deal breaker.

My main bone to pick is with threads titled like this one… The title alone is borderline troll bait… and quite a few of the posts in the beginning were exactly that. While I would totally agree that 7.5 has issues here and there, to call it beta testing, again, is more than a bit of an exaggeration, and in most cases doesn’t lead to any constructive conversation. My apologies if I misread your intentions with your post, but you have to agree this thread turned into a SB bash fest more than a few times in some of the posts. For the cost of this software (which for most professionals is pretty minimal), even at full retail, I believe SB delivered a working and viable product with 7.5. I can’t speak to 7.0 as I didn’t purchase an upgrade until 7.5 personally. But a beta? I just don’t personally see that at all. If the thread had been titled bugs in 7.5 and what we would like to see fixed?.. No problem what so ever, I’m on board. It might also promote a little more good will toward SB taking a long hard look at the issues listed within said thread, and that WOULD be productive. :smiley:

My view is to buy the program in order to support future development, even if you skip a version here and there.

And to that I agree 100%.

No offense taken by the way :slight_smile:

I didn’t, the OP did.

Also, my question to you would be… if you don’t like what it has to offer, or if it’s truly causing you physical pain and taking a HUGE toll on your workflow, why bother with the upgrade? 6.5 still works just fine for you apparently, as it and all previous versions should considering the install was untouched by 7.

We still use 6.5

So where are the wasted $$$$ on controllers exactly??

If you bought controllers to work as a proper mixing desk, and said controllers quit working as a mixing desk for no reason other than crappy code. Then, that’s wasted $$$.

And, yes you deserve about 40000 :unamused: for your commenting on something that doesn’t match your myopic view of the DAW world.

Myopic? mmmmk. You say this with no knowledge of what I do or my personal experience, but I guess you know best… So did your controllers work with the previous version??? Sounds like they did if they just up and quit on you all of a sudden as you describe. So keep using the version they worked on… How is that wasted $$$? If you bought them specifically to go with the new version, then I would say it’s a pretty bad business decision if you didn’t test it ahead of time, or didn’t return it for that matter once you realized it didn’t work. Did you get a guarantee from SB that said hardware would continue to work with said software as you hoped it would, or just assumed that it would?? Don’t know about you, but if I was making a studio hardware decision that was high dollar I would, and always try, to do my research. And it still goes south on occasion. If so I would imagine a fix is in the works, but I doubt you getting said guarantee is the case. Sounds more like a case of you having hoped they would work with the new version and they didn’t. Welcome to the club of the hardware upgrade cycle??? :laughing: (and before you get all bent out of shape, I’m laghing with you… well ok… maybe at you but it’s because I’ve been in the same position and am numb to being shocked by it) At the very least, welcome to the club of waiting to see if it’s supported the way you want or adds the features you desire… Been there, done that, still have more than one blood soaked t-shirt… :unamused:

Incidentally, if your talking about the $99 SB controllers… Your pretty much talking about toys. Not trying to be mean, but you can’t sugar coat it either. Imagine taking a bath on something that’s thousands, or 10’s of thousands of dollars. But I do honestly hope your issue gets worked out.

I tried to explain that we all have different needs, working styles and workflows.

Nope. Wrong attitude. We think about what WE want to do. THEN we find out if anything can help us do that job. BUT we cannot expect that any software maker customises their program just for us.
Cubase has put together a bend-over-backwards customisable program with a few basic jobs collected together. Audio engineering jobs. No big deal individually, a tape recorder, a score writer, a few synths and FX plus some correction tools. To those ends it WORKS and is definitely NOT beta. The trouble of threads like this arises from those users who over estimate hugely what the program actually DOES. THEN they start telling the programmer where he’s going wrong. Doesn’t surprise me that some “bugs” don’t get “fixed” for many years. (I’m pretty sure some bugs have been “fixed” that everyone forgot was not there). :mrgreen:
Actually the thread question is rather juvenile. All the older users will know about beta versions of old and so much “ho hum”. Sounds like someone was only told about “beta versions” the other day.

“Working styles and workflow” are just buzzwords to make the user look as though they know what they are doing. Like “touching base”. horrible office-speak. My guess is the word alone would make any developer switch off. I’ve never had “workflow”. I only get work. Not very impressive I guess. I might get “lunchflow” on a good day. :mrgreen:

you can defenetly be a categorized user of cubase :slight_smile: you never heard of layers for 1 instrument, and this is called by you taking the machine to the limits … , don’t know what is workflow, and you don’t have a clue what is developing. Respect your opinion tho :slight_smile:

1st) layers - some years have passed since 90’s …
2nd) the machine have limits but any application are tested on the limits of the software.
3d) thumbs up!

So we don’t have different needs, working styles and workflows then? We all work exactly in the same way…as you?

So we don’t have different needs, working styles and workflows then? We all work exactly in the same way…as you?

No. Wrong again. Your WORK will ALWAYS be limited by what the software developer feels like giving you. Otherwise, if you’re that different to every other human on the planet it’s write your own software.
Steinberg and other DAW makers do their best to accommodate the expectations of the “artists” who want THEIR own personal software because they “don’t all work exactly in the same way…” but don’t expect miracles.
Not everyone uses guns in exactly the same way either. Some shoot themselves in the foot while trying to shoot around corners.
If you all worked in exactly the same way as me maybe you’d be even more confused. :mrgreen:
And as for different “needs”… one can always get a girlfriend. :smiley:

I can’t tell you what to do. All I say is “It’s a bad idea to do that without a parachute…” The rest is really up to you.