Cubase AI LE Elemets 7 recording

Assuming you’re using Windows and the ASIO Direct Sound Full Duplex driver, seeing two IN and two OUT busses from the Audiogram6 seems to be correct.

The busses labelled “Microphone (USB Audio Codec)-1)” and “Microphone (USB Audio Codec)-2” are the outs from the Audiogram6 (INs to Cubase). The Audiogram6 regards these as a stereo pair.

The busses labelled “Speakers (USB Audio Codec)-1” and “Speakers (USB Audio Codec)-2” are the ins to the Audiogram6 (OUTs from Cubase). The Audiogram regards these, also, as a stereo pair.

The philosophy of the Audiogram seems to be that it takes the external audio inputs (microphones, guitars etc) and mixes them into a stereo bus. It is this stereo bus Cubase has access to.

Channels 3/4 and 5/6 are presented as stereo. If you plug an input into the L & R sockets on these channels, the signal will appear on the L & R stereo output bus with whatever gain and compression you’ve added on the Audiogram6. Note though that there is no pan/balance control on any of the Audiogram6 channels. Therefore, the stereo image of the original signal will be faithfully reproduced on the stereo outputs.

If you only plug into the L sockets of either Channels 3/4 or 5/6 then the input will be treated as a mono signal and divided equally between the L & R stereo output.

As I understand it, you are only using the microphone channels 1 and 2. These are presented as two separate physical channels each with its own gain and compression settings. These channels can be linked together as a stereo pair (like channels 3/4 and 5/6).

There is a latching button switch between Channels 1 and 2. This switch allows channels 1 and 2 to be used either as separate mono channels or as a stereo pair. When set to MONO, channels 1 and 2 function as independent mono channels feeding both the L and R STEREO OUT jacks. When set to STEREO, input channels 1 and 2 function as a stereo pair: the channel 1 signal feeds the L STEREO OUT jack and the channel 2 signal feeds the R STEREO OUT jack.

To be clear:-

If the switch is set to MONO then both microphone signals will be sent to BOTH the L & R output channels (ie panned to the centre of the stereo image).

If the switch is set to STEREO then the signal from the microphone in Channel 1 will be sent to the L output channel and the signal from the microphone in Channel 2 will be sent to the R output channel.

For what I think you want to do (record each microphone’s signal separately), you need this switch in the STEREO position.

Then, as I explained a few days ago, you should set up Cubase with:-

1. Your microphones connected to Channels 1 and 2 of the Audiogram6

2. In VST Connections Inputs create a mono bus (call it “Mic 1”) and connect it to “Microphone (USB Audio Codec)-1)” and a second mono bus (call it “Mic 2”) and connect it to “Microphone (USB Audio Codec)-2)

3. Create two mono audio tracks in the project. On the inspector for the first track set the input for the track to “Mic 1” and the second track to “Mic 2”.

Make sure the switch on the Audiogram6 is set to STEREO.

Record arm both tracks and hit record on the transport.

You will be recording the microphone in Channel 1 of the Audiogram6 to the first Cubase track, and the microphone in Channel 2 of the Audiogram6 to the second Cubase track.

(NB I’m assuming you know how to set up your stereo out from Cubase back to the Audiogram6 so I’ve not explained that)