Dongle Durability

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Dongle Durability

Postby monsterjazzlicks » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:17 pm

Hi folks,

There is already a thread about dongles I know, but its very long and jumped topic somewhat so I thought I would post my question here.= :-

Has anyone had issues with their USB eLicensor dongle (I have the purple coloured one purchased from Steinberg Shop) @ £18.79p ?

I have now had two crack and fall apart on me! The plastic seems very thin and also the glueing of the casing is not strong. So I am going to have to purchase my third one!

These should really be made more durable because it is very expensive to keep replacing them. In my experience, one dongle last for about 12 x months (which is really not good at all).

Bit of a negative post I know, sorry!

Ta,

Paul
Nord Stage Classic 88 (Revision B), Fender Rhodes Suitcase, Fender Rhodes Stage, Hohner E7 Clavinet, Mini Moog Model D, Multi Moog, Yamaha DX7 (Mk1) & DX21, Roland Juno 6, Roland XV-5050 (module).

Mackie SRM 350 (pair), Fender DeVille, Yamaha HS7 (pair), BeyerDynamic DT880 Headphones, Pro (250 Ohm).

Sibelius 7, Cubase Artist 7.5, HALion Sonic SE , HALion Sonic 2, HALion 5, Groove Agent 3, Steinberg CI2+ Interface, Midi Sport 2x2.

Dell Inspiron N5040, Windows 7 Home Premium, 2.13gHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, Intel Pentium, Service Pack 1.

Dell Inspiron 3737, Windows 8.1 Professional, 1.70gHz, 16GB RAM, 64-bit, Intel Core i3.
monsterjazzlicks

Re: Dongle Durability

Postby roel » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:56 am

i keep the dongle in an usb hub glued on the laptop next to the ilok and it stays there.
on gigs nobody comes in the neighbourhood of the laptop
i am yet in overtime for that one year treatment and hoping it will continue :)
but like any stick if you use it too much to bump in and out...

kind regards,
R.
Cubase 7.5.x, vienna ensemble pro 5,
Master:laptop Clevo, W170, i7 2760Qm, 16 gig, 2xSSD samsung 840pro/evo, +touch screen
Slave: desktop: Titanus, Q8440, 8 gig, 2x WD HDD + SSD
Sound: Motu Ultralite MKIII (usb)
control: Synergy, novation zero SL
vsti: Steinberg, East West, Vienna, Native Instruments, and a lot of others
roel

Postby monsterjazzlicks » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:19 am

roel wrote:i keep the dongle in an usb hub glued on the laptop next to the ilok and it stays there.
on gigs nobody comes in the neighbourhood of the laptop
i am yet in overtime for that one year treatment and hoping it will continue :)
but like any stick if you use it too much to bump in and out...

Hi Roel,

I have never used it on a gig but even just in my house it has been knocked a few times. Even so, its life span is far less than any el-cheapo USB stick I have ever known. They should make a metal casing for it or something because its a device you are going to be GREATLY relying upon for at least ten years. Maybe they make it cheap so that it does break, and they KNOW you are going to have to buy a replacement otherwise you can't use your software !!

Paul
monsterjazzlicks

Postby Jeff Hayat » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:05 am

monsterjazzlicks wrote:I have now had two crack and fall apart on me!

How? Are you playing frisbee with it?

monsterjazzlicks wrote: In my experience, one dongle last for about 12 x months.

Going on 11 years here with my dongle...

Cheers.
Jeff Hayat

Postby monsterjazzlicks » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:08 am

Hi Jeff,

Gee, I must just be really unlucky with them!

Paul
monsterjazzlicks

Postby BriHar » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:47 am

I've had mine for a number of years with no issues, I'll grant though that they could definitely be made more robust.
Just a thought however; is it possible that you have any solvents in the vicinity (in the same room)? Do you have one of those ionizers operating nearby? These things could possibly attack and make the plastic quite brittle over time.
...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61.

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase 7.5.20 - 64bit | WaveLab 8 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 8GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
BriHar

Postby curteye » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:54 am

Aloha guys,

Just to chime in.
As well as the studio I perform live on weekends
so the dongle can take a hit from time to time.

However I now gaff the f*ck out of it only
leaving a small opening so I can view the lil led's status.

This latest one has lasted on my key ring
for over two years now so not so bad.

Also,
If you are a pro and your living depends on using Cubase,
it might be wise to own a separate license (or two).

Just 'write it off' as a business expense and keep it in a safe place.

That being said; I would gladly pay more $$ for a sort of
'military grade' dongle.

Good Luck!
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5

Location: On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Postby roel » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:27 am

what would be excellent imho is that computer manufacturers would make a little usb hub on the inside of the laptop or the computer so that the dongle is not only hidden, but also safely stored. But if your gear gets stolen then you loose everything...

@Curteye: something like this :)
http://www.highsnobiety.com/2011/04/17/ ... sb-sticks/

kind regards,
R.
Cubase 7.5.x, vienna ensemble pro 5,
Master:laptop Clevo, W170, i7 2760Qm, 16 gig, 2xSSD samsung 840pro/evo, +touch screen
Slave: desktop: Titanus, Q8440, 8 gig, 2x WD HDD + SSD
Sound: Motu Ultralite MKIII (usb)
control: Synergy, novation zero SL
vsti: Steinberg, East West, Vienna, Native Instruments, and a lot of others
roel

Postby monsterjazzlicks » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:16 pm

BriHar wrote:Just a thought however; is it possible that you have any solvents in the vicinity (in the same room)? Do you have one of those ionizers operating nearby? These things could possibly attack and make the plastic quite brittle over time.

BriHar,

Not that I am aware of, but it is something I will bare in mind thanks.

Paul
monsterjazzlicks

Postby johngar » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:24 pm

curteye wrote:Aloha guys,...

{'-'}

This is good advice, I did that to mine after it cracked 4 years ago, although I didn't "gaff the * out of it", has been good ever since.
PC | Nuendo 6.5 64bit | Cubase 7.5 64bit| i7920 | Windows 7 Pro 64bit | 12gb ram | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | NVIDIA GeForce GTX550Ti | RME9632 | Euphonix MC Control -Mix - Transport | Genelec |

MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz i7 | OS X 10.9 | MOTU 828MKII |

elfxi.com
johngar

Postby BriHar » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:33 pm

The idea from Curteye is not bad. I was thinking something similar myself to increase the robustness
- Pot the dongle in clear acrylic! ;)

... actually, my wife is into pottery ... might be an untapped market ... :lol:

Cubase 7.5.20 - 64bit | WaveLab 8 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 8GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
BriHar

Postby monsterjazzlicks » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:22 pm

johngar wrote:
curteye wrote:Aloha guys,...

{'-'}

This is good advice, I did that to mine after it cracked 4 years ago, although I didn't "gaff the * out of it", has been good ever since.

Hi John,

I actually had an elastic band around it for the last 6 x months.

Paul
monsterjazzlicks

Postby Scab Pickens » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:24 pm

My current "permanent" installation ...

viewtopic.php?f=198&t=43658#p277105
Main: Win 7 64 | Cubase 7.5.20 64 | WaveLab Elements 8.0.3 64 | i7-950 3.1 12GB | Focusrite PRO 40
Mobile: Win 7 64 | Cubase Elements 7.0.7 64 | Core2Duo 2.4 8GB | Tascam US-144MKII
Scab Pickens

Postby monsterjazzlicks » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:56 pm

Ed Doll wrote:We have released three different versions of the USB-eLicenser case over the years and the current incarnationis pretty solid (and shorter than the first one). So any replacement you buy for old USB-eLicensers that came with Nuendo 2 or Cubase SX 3 should be an improvement.

This (above) was posted last year. I am wondering then if I have Dongle v.2 and that v.3 may be more sturdy? My current Dongle was purchased around Feb 2013. Its also plastic and purple in colour.
monsterjazzlicks

Postby monsterjazzlicks » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:43 pm

Thanks Curteye,

curteye wrote:If you are a pro and your living depends on using Cubase, it might be wise to own a separate license (or two).

Well I was actually wondering about that possibility. So you mean buy TWO dongles but keep one safe tucked away? I did not know if you could register all your licensors TWICE (ie on two dongles). Obviously you could only use one dongle at a time but that's not a problem at all.

curteye wrote:Just 'write it off' as a business expense and keep it in a safe place.That being said; I would gladly pay more $$ for a sort of 'military grade' dongle.

Yes, quite. I would rather pay once for a robust model than twice for el-cheapo.
monsterjazzlicks

Postby Strophoid » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:53 pm

monsterjazzlicks wrote:Thanks Curteye,

curteye wrote:If you are a pro and your living depends on using Cubase, it might be wise to own a separate license (or two).

Well I was actually wondering about that possibility. So you mean buy TWO dongles but keep one safe tucked away? I did not know if you could register all your licensors TWICE (ie on two dongles). Obviously you could only use one dongle at a time but that's not a problem at all.

No you can't he means buying 2 licenses ;)
Software: Steinberg Cubase Artist 6.5.5 64-bit.
Hardware: HP elitebook 8530b with W7 Home 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.
Analog: Alesis M1 - Behringer Powerplay Pro-XL - Studio Projects C3 - AKG K612Pro
Instruments: Yamaha DTX750k - Yamaha MO-6 - Waldorf Blofeld - Korg Wavedrum WDX.
3rd party plugins: Native Instruments Prism - Rob Papen Distort - Rob Papen Delay

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.
Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Postby monsterjazzlicks » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:08 pm

Strophoid wrote:No you can't he means buying 2 licenses ;)

Hi Strphoid,

Sorry, you mean I can not buy two dongles and register all my licensors to them ?? Ta.
monsterjazzlicks

Postby Woodcrest Studio » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:42 pm

all of mine have cracks. I think I have 3. They all have lived behind the computer plugged directly in.
Tom Zartler

In person or from afar: helping make people's music a pleasurable listening experience.

::::Woodcrest Studio Homepage::::
::::Woodcrest on Facebook::::

Cubase 6.5, ProToolsHD10, 4 rooms, a hall, bathroom, kitchen, computer, mics, outboard and an excessive Imagination.

If in a creative blackout, stare at the dancing cow for inspiration.
Woodcrest Studio

Postby BriHar » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:20 am

monsterjazzlicks wrote:
Strophoid wrote:No you can't he means buying 2 licenses ;)
Hi Strphoid,

Sorry, you mean I can not buy two dongles and register all my licensors to them ?? Ta.

You can buy an extra dongle to keep in reserve, and if/when the one in use breaks, corrupts or gets lost, you can transfer all your licenses over. - But you probably know this. ;)

BriHar

Postby Dirk Stegemann » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:25 pm

BriHar wrote:You can buy an extra dongle to keep in reserve, and if/when the one in use breaks, corrupts or gets lost, you can transfer all your licenses over.

I'm possibly missing a cynical joke here, but otherwise you'd have to admit that it would be difficult to transfer a license from a lost or broken eLicenser device...

There's another option, though, for those users who still have the "25 hours All Application" demo license that came with certain products:
Keep a spare USB-eLicenser and transfer that demo license to the spare one. In case the eLicenser in use gets lost, the spare USB-eLicenser will provide a 25 hours usage time period while you sort things out...
Dirk Stegemann
eLicenser Development & QA

Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
Dirk Stegemann
Steinberg Employee

Postby monsterjazzlicks » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:29 pm

BriHar wrote:You can buy an extra dongle to keep in reserve, and if/when the one in use breaks, corrupts or gets lost, you can transfer all your licenses over. - But you probably know this. ;)

Thanks for clarifying Brihar.
monsterjazzlicks

Postby monsterjazzlicks » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:31 pm

Dirk Stegemann wrote:There's another option, though, for those users who still have the "25 hours All Application" demo license that came with certain products:
Keep a spare USB-eLicenser and transfer that demo license to the spare one. In case the eLicenser in use gets lost, the spare USB-eLicenser will provide a 25 hours usage time period while you sort things out...

Hi Dirk,

I think I still have this option on my Windows 8 PC. But not on my Windows 7 (which is the one I had problems with).

Ta.

Paul
monsterjazzlicks

Postby BriHar » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:32 pm

Dirk Stegemann wrote:
BriHar wrote:You can buy an extra dongle to keep in reserve, and if/when the one in use breaks, corrupts or gets lost, you can transfer all your licenses over.

I'm possibly missing a cynical joke here, but otherwise you'd have to admit that it would be difficult to transfer a license from a lost or broken eLicenser device...

There's another option, though, for those users who still have the "25 hours All Application" demo license that came with certain products:

I understand that one can perhaps not do this completely on one's own (requiring perhaps a support request) , but I have been given to understand that this transfer of licences from dongle to dongle is possible over the' My Steinberg' site.
Am I wrong - or what is meant by ...sort things out...?
Please explain, as I intend to buy Wave lab but put the license on my Cubase dongle, and keep the one received with Wave lab in reserve.

BriHar

Postby SteveInChicago » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:48 pm

Dirk Stegemann wrote:There's another option, though, for those users who still have the "25 hours All Application" demo license that came with certain products:
This is exactly what I do.
Cubase 7.5.20 | Mac 10.8.5 | i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | 16gb | TC Konnekt24D
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby curteye » Thu May 01, 2014 4:22 am

Dirk Stegemann wrote:it would be difficult to transfer a license from a lost or broken eLicenser device...

Aloha D,

Not completely broken as in; 'does not work at all' but more like the shell
is starting to crack etc.

Dirk Stegemann wrote:There's another option, though, for those users who still have the "25 hours All Application"

And for those who do not??????

{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5

Location: On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Next

Return to Steinberg Lounge