Multiple outputs and Control Room

Post general topics related to Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 here.

Multiple outputs and Control Room

Postby TheBaker » Tue May 13, 2014 8:56 pm

Hi, looking for some help here this has been bothering me for a while.

So since I've started using 2 sets of monitors and started using the control room to switch between them, when I make a 2nd Output in Cubase It doesn't appear to route out to either of the monitors. It worked fine before I started using the Control Room, how do I go about sorting this?

In VST Connections in the Output window nothing is connected to the outputs and in the Studio window I have my 2 monitors going to Monitor 1(Out 1&2) and Monitor 2(Out 3&4)

I've looked at the control room overview but can't see any button to maybe activate the 2nd output alike I had to do with the metronome when It wasn't playing when I switched to the control room.

Hope that all makes sense, any help appreciated, I can give screen caps if helpful.

Thanks. :)
TheBaker

Re: Multiple outputs and Control Room

Postby alexis » Wed May 14, 2014 2:19 am

Just to confirm - you can hear one set of monitors but not the other through the CTRL Room?
Alexis

One way to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here.
- A more detailed explanation for how to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here!
- And here for MIDI

Some ways to render virtual instruments to audio here.

Tips Tricks and Workflow Goodness

CubaseTutorial.net - very nice collection of instructional youtubes

Cubase 7.5.20 64 bit; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W7 SP1 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio Drive; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo, Jamstix 3.3, BCF2K; TC Helicon VoiceOne; RevoicePro 2.5 Trial; 0.1 Woodlocked
alexis

Postby Ian s » Wed May 14, 2014 11:08 am

Each output has an independent level control within the CR, (in addition to the fader) so you can match volumes on different monitors when switching. Maybe Mon 2 is set to 0??
C7.06 | W7 | MR816CSX | CC121| ES-175D | Es-345
Ian s

Postby TheBaker » Wed May 14, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi thanks for the responses, I guess I wasn't clear enough though, I'm referring to Stereo outputs in the mixer not the monitor outs, I can switch and hear the monitors just fine, what I'm having an issue with is adding a second stereo output in the mixer but I can't hear it?
The default one will play out of both sets of speakers but the 2nd one(and I guess subsequent ones I could create) is not audible, as if it's not actually being routed out to the monitors. I was saying that this worked before I started using the control room but now it's silent.

Hope that makes more sense. :D

Cheers.
TheBaker

Postby BriHar » Wed May 14, 2014 1:44 pm

I believe you can force this to work if you disable the exclusive output control. This will allow you to set outputs simultaneously with CR outputs. Just make sure you're aware of what you're doing.
In the outputs pane, you have a stereo pair set as default monitor even though it is left unconnected. This constitutes your stereo output in the mixer. You can set up more however as I previously described.
Question is, why do you need to do this?
...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61.

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase 7.5.30 - 64bit | Cubase AI7 | WaveLab 8 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 8GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
BriHar

Postby TheBaker » Wed May 14, 2014 5:12 pm

Hi, can you explain the exclusive output control? TBH I find all this output stuff and the control room business quite confusing but I somehow managed to set it up. :lol:

I understand what you're saying, I can't have my soundcard outs coming out of the outs on the Input pane and out of the Studio(control room) pane at the same time but you're saying there is a button that would allow this? I wouldn't know what I was doing but I just don't understand how I can't just have a second output come out of my monitors alike the default stereo out.

I do this as I often have a references that I want to hear without all the master bus processing I have on my actual mix, bypassing them is tedious.

Thanks.
TheBaker

Postby alexis » Wed May 14, 2014 6:01 pm

TheBaker wrote:Hi, can you explain the exclusive output control? TBH I find all this output stuff and the control room business quite confusing but I somehow managed to set it up. :lol:

I understand what you're saying, I can't have my soundcard outs coming out of the outs on the Input pane and out of the Studio(control room) pane at the same time but you're saying there is a button that would allow this? I wouldn't know what I was doing but I just don't understand how I can't just have a second output come out of my monitors alike the default stereo out.

I do this as I often have a references that I want to hear without all the master bus processing I have on my actual mix, bypassing them is tedious.

Thanks.

I believe it's a Preference, maybe down towards the bottom for Control Room, or if not that, one of the VST windows.
Alexis

One way to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here.
- A more detailed explanation for how to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here!
- And here for MIDI

Some ways to render virtual instruments to audio here.

Tips Tricks and Workflow Goodness

CubaseTutorial.net - very nice collection of instructional youtubes

Cubase 7.5.20 64 bit; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W7 SP1 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio Drive; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo, Jamstix 3.3, BCF2K; TC Helicon VoiceOne; RevoicePro 2.5 Trial; 0.1 Woodlocked
alexis

Postby BriHar » Thu May 15, 2014 9:06 am

Direct from the User Manual: wrote:Exclusive Assignment of Monitor Channels
Even though the port assignment to the Control Room channels is generally exclusive, it can be useful to create Monitor channels that share device ports with each other as well as inputs and outputs. This can be helpful if you use the same speakers as a stereo pair and also as the left and right channels of a surround speaker configuration, for example. Switching between monitors that share device ports is seamless, multi-channel audio is mixed down to stereo as needed. Only one monitor set can be active at a time.

If your scenario does not require you to assign ports to several Monitor channels, it is recommended to activate the “Exclusive Device Ports for Monitor Channels” option in the Preferences dialog (VST–Control Room page). This way you can make sure that you do not accidentally assign ports to inputs/outputs and Monitor channels at the same time.

- The state of the “Exclusive Device Ports for Monitor Channels” preference is saved together with the Control Room presets. Therefore, if you recall a preset, your current setting in the Preferences dialog might be overwritten.
...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61.

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase 7.5.30 - 64bit | Cubase AI7 | WaveLab 8 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 8GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
BriHar

Postby TheBaker » Tue May 20, 2014 4:11 pm

Got ya!

I had the exclusivity button on, turned it off and now I've sent the 2nd output to my monitors!

Thanks alot. :)
TheBaker

Return to General