Mastering - What's your approach?

This is a very interesting subject for me as we do both mixing & mastering, but I have to say right off that I find it almost impossible to master my mixes - I suspect this is because I am simply too close to the whole thing and if I run across any issues I tend to go back to the multis & rework the actual mix. Additionally, when I have done the mix I find it more productive to get another set of ears on it for the mastering stage.

That all said…
Forget all about trying to win loudness wars - this is very akin to the medieval frontal assault and the casualty rate is about as high too. Mastering (or so I was taught) should be all about preparing a presumably approved mix for it’s intended release media, and not - repeat again in bold type not the last place to completely alter the sonics & dynamics of a mix, and I think that more tracks have been ruined by bad mastering than have been helped by good mastering so the trick really becomes all about finding an ME who will do what is right for the track and not one who will simply make your ears bleed with excessive limiting for additional volume by shaving every transient & squashing the song until it screams “uncle”. They do exist - Bob Katz & Simon Heyworth immediately come to mind as ME who will do what is right as opposed to crushing it to death.
(BTW, have you ever seen this video clip? Funny Conversation With Mastering Engineer - YouTube
It’s absolutely hilarious, but at the same time cuts very close to the bone as well. I have long thought that a track done properly will get better when you up the levels, but a crushed one will merely make you want to turn it all off…and for reference as to how NOT to do it, take a look at the attached file below.
The top line is the vinyl needledrop, the second line is the original CD and the bottom line is the modern “remastered” version & it sounds as bad as it looks.
A good rule of thumb is that you get what you pay for and like all things if it seems too good to be true then it probably is - when selecting an ME, always make certain you get samples of their work before & after.