PC-users: Dependency on Apple

Interesting. Let me add that you DO NOT have to install iTunes on your DAW to use iC Pro. I would never do this and have never done this. If you actually look at the process - the process of installing Bonjour Print Services - you will see that you can do this independently of iTunes. Bonjour is independent of iTunes and NOT dependent on the install of it.

In my setup, my DAW is on my in home ‘Public’ network - I do not have a ‘Home Group’ connection setup because it does not work as well as the Public network - I tried it.

Another thing, I run an HP Printer here in the house. It is also Wi-Fi based and available to all my Wi-Fi devices via the Bonjour service, and yes, most of those devices are Apple products. The Bonjour program and the Bonjour Print Services program require 1.74 MB and 3.21 MB HD space respectively. However, if you are using QuickTime on your DAW with Cubase, you will also need QuickTime, the Apple Application Support program (which you need for QuickTime), and the Apple Software Update program (which you can disable), which require 70.2 MB, 64 MB, and 2.38 MB of HD space respectively. So all totaled, that’s 141.53 MB of HD space. That’s nothing really, provided your DAW is not taxed by any of it’s operation. (QuickTime requires the most HD space and is the most taxing on the system - but only when it is running, of course. And here I am not sure, in the case of playing video files in Cubase, if we are actually using the full taxing power of QuickTime because we do not have to get on line to use it. Turn off your Wi-Fi if in doubt.)

To summarize, Bonjour is NOT a DAW buster. And to use Cubase with any video operation you have to install QuickTime anyway, you have no choice. I don’t see the problem with using Bonjour - if you install it WITHOUT iTunes, of course - to run the iC Pro app. It connects quickly, automatically and does not tax my DAW.