QUESTION: MIDI 'Mult'?

Post general topics related to Cubase 7 and Cubase Artist 7 here.

QUESTION: MIDI 'Mult'?

Postby suntower » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:46 am

This may be so obvious I can't figure it out...

Is it possible to send the MIDI from one MIDI track to more than one VSTi? On a 'real' audio desk this would be referred to as 'multing'...

Basically, I want a 'Y' cord for the MIDI like you could do with audio via a Send.

Or maybe there is a MIDI plug-in that can 'hi-jack' the MIDI before it gets to the VSTi and 'forward' it onto other VSTis?

Why you ask? I'm getting sick of duplicating events/tracks. I just wanna be able to 'stack' sounds like in the good ol' hardware days with a y-cord feeding multiple synths.

TIA,

---JC
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 1TB HD, Win7/64 Ult
Second: Q8400 16gb RAM 3 1TB HD, Win7/64
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase 7.5, iCPro, WL7,
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums
suntower

Re: QUESTION: MIDI 'Mult'?

Postby matjones » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:49 am

midi send perhaps?................. ops manual p457.
Cubase 6.5/7/7.5 Asus P6TSE, i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 18GB Corsair 1600 RAM, ATI HD4890, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel, Duende NE, UAD2 Solo/Quad, Pod X3 Pro, Slate VCC/VTM, Waves Gold 9, HALion 4, The Grand 3 SE, BFD2 (+ Expansions), WL8 elements, Melodyne Editor 2, MOTU Midiexpress 128 , Various toys, Neumann, AKG, SE Mics, Adam A7X, Aventone Monoblock monitors, AKG K702, Warwick, Spector, and Peavey Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.
matjones

Postby suntower » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:54 am

matjones wrote:midi send perhaps?................. ops manual p457.

You can only 'Send' to one of the Send plug-ins. I was hoping there was a plug-in that would allow a 'forward'.
suntower

Postby SteveInChicago » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:59 am

Check out p. 457, it describes how to route a Send to another MIDI input.
Cubase 7.5.30 | Mac 10.8.5 | i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | 16gb | TC Konnekt24D
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby matjones » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:34 am

suntower wrote:
matjones wrote:midi send perhaps?................. ops manual p457.

You can only 'Send' to one of the Send plug-ins. I was hoping there was a plug-in that would allow a 'forward'.

You have to do it from the inspector pane...... i KNEW i wasn't going nuts lol... just fired cubase up to double check :lol:

I don't think midi sends are shown by default so if you right click in the inspector you'll see a hide/show list...

HTH!
Cubase 6.5/7/7.5 Asus P6TSE, i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 18GB Corsair 1600 RAM, ATI HD4890, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel, Duende NE, UAD2 Solo/Quad, Pod X3 Pro, Slate VCC/VTM, Waves Gold 9, HALion 4, The Grand 3 SE, BFD2 (+ Expansions), WL8 elements, Melodyne Editor 2, MOTU Midiexpress 128 , Various toys, Neumann, AKG, SE Mics, Adam A7X, Aventone Monoblock monitors, AKG K702, Warwick, Spector, and Peavey Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.
matjones

Postby GargoyleStudio » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:30 pm

I know you say you're fed up with duping tracks/parts, but do you use Ghost parts? I create a 2nd midi track with 2nd VSTi in place, then I ghost copy the parts (i.e. I can edit one, they all change). I find the advantages outweigh the extra ghost part copying... First is that I can easily see two tracks in the project, and therefore two VSTi's (which you can't see so easily see when using Sends, you have to 'remember' they're being used). The 2nd is that I can apply transpose or velocity adjustment using the status line to one of the ghosted parts which can be really useful for blending the instruments together, e.g. octave doubling of flutes and clarinets, or e.g. octave doubling of moog + MS20 bass.

Mike.
[Win7x64, Cb7.5.30]
GargoyleStudio

Postby lukasbrooklyn » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:37 pm

GargoyleStudio wrote:I know you say you're fed up with duping tracks/parts, but do you use Ghost parts? I create a 2nd midi track with 2nd VSTi in place, then I ghost copy the parts (i.e. I can edit one, they all change). I find the advantages outweigh the extra ghost part copying... First is that I can easily see two tracks in the project, and therefore two VSTi's (which you can't see so easily see when using Sends, you have to 'remember' they're being used). The 2nd is that I can apply transpose or velocity adjustment using the status line to one of the ghosted parts which can be really useful for blending the instruments together, e.g. octave doubling of flutes and clarinets, or e.g. octave doubling of moog + MS20 bass.

Mike.

good point
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.2, c6
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, ...

http://www.lukasturza.com
lukasbrooklyn

Postby suntower » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:41 pm

SteveInChicago wrote:Check out p. 457, it describes how to route a Send to another MIDI input.

How come you get to be in green?

Where was I... THIS IS AMAZING!

No, not the docs.... the docs are crap. But the feature is AMAZING. If anyone else is as ADD confused as I.

1. Apparently you do NOT need to use a 'Send' plug-in to forward MIDI to another track.
a. Just hit the power button on the Send.
b. Select the teensy down arrow at the bottom right of the Send and Et Viola... the MIDI goes to any VSTi.
c. And then you can choose the channel on which it's received with the # widget next door.

So you can get 5 instruments sounding from one MIDI track. Schweeeet!

2. BUT if wanna get more sophisticated, use the MIDI Modifiers plug-in. Then you can transpose, alter the velocity, etc. forwarded to the Send VSTi. Super Schweet. This is VERY important, since most VSTis will respond to various parameters differently. Saves a LOT of patch tweaking!

3. I guess if yer all EDM you could use the other plugs to do stuff like forward a drum track to an Arp generator which triggers some bloop, bloop, bloop crap on another synth.

Just great.

Thanks to you both.

NB: I didn't actually figure it out from pg. 457. But because the posters insisted it was 'there' I just started clicking on *flower* in the Send pane until something 'happened'. I can't really complain about the program design here... it does make sense... but this is such a powerful feature, I can't understand why the docs don't give at least ONE clear example of how these routings work.
suntower

Postby SteveInChicago » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:15 pm

Glad your happy.
suntower wrote:How come you get to be in green?
:lol: I got promoted. And lemme tell you– it's not easy being green.

Actually I never clicked on the power button without loading a module, so thanks for that. Harry Tuttle would be proud.
Cubase 7.5.30 | Mac 10.8.5 | i7-3770k Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | 16gb | TC Konnekt24D
SteveInChicago
External Moderator

Postby suntower » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:51 pm

Another promotion? Damn that Civil Service.
suntower

Postby lukasbrooklyn » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:08 am

suntower wrote:
SteveInChicago wrote:Check out p. 457, it describes how to route a Send to another MIDI input.

How come you get to be in green?

Where was I... THIS IS AMAZING!

No, not the docs.... the docs are crap. But the feature is AMAZING. If anyone else is as ADD confused as I.

1. Apparently you do NOT need to use a 'Send' plug-in to forward MIDI to another track.
a. Just hit the power button on the Send.
b. Select the teensy down arrow at the bottom right of the Send and Et Viola... the MIDI goes to any VSTi.
c. And then you can choose the channel on which it's received with the # widget next door.

So you can get 5 instruments sounding from one MIDI track. Schweeeet!

2. BUT if wanna get more sophisticated, use the MIDI Modifiers plug-in. Then you can transpose, alter the velocity, etc. forwarded to the Send VSTi. Super Schweet. This is VERY important, since most VSTis will respond to various parameters differently. Saves a LOT of patch tweaking!

3. I guess if yer all EDM you could use the other plugs to do stuff like forward a drum track to an Arp generator which triggers some bloop, bloop, bloop crap on another synth.

Just great.

Thanks to you both.

NB: I didn't actually figure it out from pg. 457. But because the posters insisted it was 'there' I just started clicking on *flower* in the Send pane until something 'happened'. I can't really complain about the program design here... it does make sense... but this is such a powerful feature, I can't understand why the docs don't give at least ONE clear example of how these routings work.

please note however that this is only possible among instuments added to the instrument rack, and not possible for instrument tracks (last time i tried).

that is a shame in a way, because
1/ instrument tracks are much easier to deal with (esp since v7.5), and
2/ if it were possible, cubase could introduce something akin to logic x's new 'instrument stacks' where a top-layer midi clip controls whatever VSTi's have been added to the 'stack'.
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.2, c6
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, ...

http://www.lukasturza.com
lukasbrooklyn

Postby suntower » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:10 am

I have avoided Instrument Tracks. I think they are half-baked. Thanks for the tip.
suntower

Return to General