Anyone using lil 'Auratone' boxes?

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.

Anyone using lil 'Auratone' boxes?

Postby curteye » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:20 am

Aloha guys,

I have not used/heard them for years but I just got in a used pair
(late 70's/early 80's no serial #) from a closing studio and wondering
if anyone here still uses them.

If not, any alternatives?

I'll be trying them out next week.
I plan on using them for mono work/mixes as well as stereo.

TIA (thanks in advance)
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB 10.9...../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mbook 2.4Gz 4GB 10.7.5.../C5.5/6.5/7.5
Mac Pro w/3 4k monitors.
On-line in Jan 2015

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
curteye
Grand Senior Member

Re: Anyone using lil 'Auratone' boxes?

Postby matjones » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:03 am

Hey!

We used to use 'horrortone' c5's in the edit suite in the news gathering company i worked for many years ago... nasty little things but brilliant for the job...

I think most people use Avantone cubes instead these days if they can't get hold of a pair of auratones in reasonable condition.. I have one myself for checking mono, again not the most pleasing of speakers but it does a great job of revealing all the important mid range info... i like using it to get a balance really quickly....

http://www.avantonepro.com/Avantone-Active-MixCube-Powered-Full-Range-Mini-Reference-Monitors-in-Limited-Edition-Black.html

http://www.avantonepro.com/Avantone-Passive-MixCube-Monitors-In-Black.html

HTH!
Cubase 6.5/7/7.5 Asus P6TSE, i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 18GB Corsair 1600 RAM, ATI HD4890, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel, Duende NE, UAD2 Solo/Quad, Pod X3 Pro, Slate VCC/VTM, Waves Gold 9, HALion 4, The Grand 3 SE, BFD2 (+ Expansions), WL8 elements, Melodyne Editor 2, MOTU Midiexpress 128 , Various toys, Neumann, AKG, SE Mics, Adam A7X, Aventone Monoblock monitors, AKG K702, Warwick, Spector, and Peavey Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.
matjones

Postby alexis » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:45 pm

I would like 1 of those Avant-tones to focus on the mid range in mono , but they only come in pairs.

From what I've read, they are great at the mid range stuff because they don't have a cross-over. And what limited bass response they have is very accurate because they are non-ported (so there is no "waterfall" resonance distortion).
Alexis

One way to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here.
- A more detailed explanation for how to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here!
- And here for MIDI

Some ways to render virtual instruments to audio here.

Tips Tricks and Workflow Goodness

CubaseTutorial.net - very nice collection of instructional youtubes

Cubase 7.5.20 64 bit; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W7 SP1 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio Drive; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo, Jamstix 3.3, BCF2K; TC Helicon VoiceOne; RevoicePro 2.5 Trial; 0.1 Woodlocked
alexis

Postby matjones » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:03 pm

alexis wrote:I would like 1 of those Avant-tones to focus on the mid range in mono , but they only come in pairs.

From what I've read, they are great at the mid range stuff because they don't have a cross-over. And what limited bass response they have is very accurate because they are non-ported (so there is no "waterfall" resonance distortion).

I'm not sure where you're based, but here in the UK KMR sell them as separate units... is where i got mine from...

https://www.kmraudio.com/avantone-mixcube-monoblock.php

hth!
Cubase 6.5/7/7.5 Asus P6TSE, i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 18GB Corsair 1600 RAM, ATI HD4890, RME Multiface II PCIe, SSL Alpha Channel, Duende NE, UAD2 Solo/Quad, Pod X3 Pro, Slate VCC/VTM, Waves Gold 9, HALion 4, The Grand 3 SE, BFD2 (+ Expansions), WL8 elements, Melodyne Editor 2, MOTU Midiexpress 128 , Various toys, Neumann, AKG, SE Mics, Adam A7X, Aventone Monoblock monitors, AKG K702, Warwick, Spector, and Peavey Basses, Gibson Les Paul Studio & loads of other junk.
matjones

Postby alexis » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:43 pm

matjones wrote:
alexis wrote:I would like 1 of those Avant-tones to focus on the mid range in mono , but they only come in pairs.

I'm not sure where you're based, but here in the UK KMR sell them as separate units... is where i got mine from...

https://www.kmraudio.com/avantone-mixcube-monoblock.php

Stateside, but I will check again to see if anything has changed, thanks!

hth!
Alexis

- A more detailed explanation for how to get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here!
- And here for MIDI

Cubase 7.5.20 64 bit; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W7 SP1 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio Drive; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo, Jamstix 3.3, BCF2K; TC Helicon VoiceOne; RevoicePro 2.5 Trial; 0.1 Woodlocked
alexis

Postby lukasbrooklyn » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:53 pm

Im using avantones actives as a 3rd pair. Mostly just a last-instance reality check before sending stuff off. Kind of expensive considering I may find a decent pc speaker to do the job.

Oh and they are definitely being sold in single speaker units.
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.2, c6
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, ...

http://www.lukasturza.com
lukasbrooklyn

Postby alexis » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:04 pm

lukasbrooklyn wrote:Im using avantones actives as a 3rd pair. Mostly just a last-instance reality check before sending stuff off. Kind of expensive considering I may find a decent pc speaker to do the job.

Hey lucas - I'll be in NYC this wknd ... are you seeing them as single units there? (I'm not an eBay person).
Alexis

- And here for MIDI

alexis

Postby lukasbrooklyn » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:09 pm

alexis wrote:
lukasbrooklyn wrote:Im using avantones actives as a 3rd pair. Mostly just a last-instance reality check before sending stuff off. Kind of expensive considering I may find a decent pc speaker to do the job.

Hey lucas - I'll be in NYC this wknd ... are you seeing them as single units there? (I'm not an eBay person).

hi, I was in nyc a month ago last time, i am working in europe.

I bouht my avantones from the thomann.de store (in europe).
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, ...

lukasbrooklyn

Postby alexis » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:06 pm

lukasbrooklyn wrote:
alexis wrote:

hi, I was in nyc a month ago last time, i am working in europe.

I bouht my avantones from the thomann.de store (in europe).

Ok, thx, will keep looking for single units over here. I saw Bkln in your name, I thought u were nyc-based, sorry!
Alexis

- And here for MIDI

alexis

Postby polgara » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:35 am

i would like to hear a before and after mix or master , just to try hear what detail you are missing without playing your track through the auratone . for instance what would have escaped your attention if you hadn`t checked with the auratone.
polgara

Postby alexis » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:28 pm

polgara wrote:i would like to hear a before and after mix or master , just to try hear what detail you are missing without playing your track through the auratone . for instance what would have escaped your attention if you hadn`t checked with the auratone.

I admit I would be buying the Avantone on faith ... bit for what it's worth, here is an article describing it's characteristics:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun10/a ... ctives.htm
Alexis

- And here for MIDI

alexis

Postby BriHar » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:45 pm

I think they're over-rated, and rather expensive for, let's face it, auratone copies. Behringer also make a copy I believe.
Personally I use a small Cambridge active box. As long as you know what it is your expecting to hear from them, there are a number of active speakers which will fill the bill.
Know what you need, check the specs, listen to them (and if you can't listen first, then pass) don't fall for hype.
...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61.

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase 7.5.30 - 64bit | Cubase AI7 | WaveLab 8 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 8GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
BriHar

Postby lukasbrooklyn » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:50 pm

BriHar wrote:I think they're over-rated, and rather expensive for, let's face it, auratone copies. Behringer also make a copy I believe.
Personally I use a small Cambridge active box. As long as you know what it is your expecting to hear from them, there are a number of active speakers which will fill the bill.
Know what you need, check the specs, listen to them (and if you can't listen first, then pass) don't fall for hype.

i kind of agree (although i like having the auratones).

there are definitely more economical ways to getting your 'crappy speaker sound', unlike the inescapably steep price for a clinical monitor.

lukasbrooklyn

Postby alexis » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:57 pm

My understanding from reading the SOS article is that the main strength is not for use as a grot box, but for superb reproduction of the mid-range (no cross-over frequency, sealed box, etc). I guess you guys don't feel that strongly about that aspect?

If it's just hype (though SOS isn't well-known for that kind of thing), I'd like to know, as I've been thinking about buying one!

Alexis

- And here for MIDI

alexis

Postby BriHar » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:39 am

The key is translation!
Whatever helps you discern whether your mixes will translate well is all that matters.
The major factor usually involved here is not which product, but rather your familiarity with it.
So choose and then stick with it like a marriage.
It will probably take many months of trial before you can rely on it without needing to check in a number of other environments.
I know of one engineer who swears by a pair of cheap radio shack speakers, and takes them with him to which ever studio he might be using.
...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61.

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase 7.5.30 - 64bit | Cubase AI7 | WaveLab 8 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 8GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 7 Pro 64 Bit
BriHar

Postby lukasbrooklyn » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:22 pm

alexis wrote:My understanding from reading the SOS article is that the main strength is not for use as a grot box, but for superb reproduction of the mid-range (no cross-over frequency, sealed box, etc). I guess you guys don't feel that strongly about that aspect?

If it's just hype (though SOS isn't well-known for that kind of thing), I'd like to know, as I've been thinking about buying one!

personally, they prove very useful in spotting hi-mid harshness, as my main set of monitors (klein hummel/neumann o300) can be a little forgiving in that freq. region. and the vocal / VO levelling, as has been mentioned. you could probably get the same features from a cheaper box, it's just these are a standard, you know... speaking of the behritones-- i'd considered those for a second but it was the SoS (quite unflattering) review that made me change my mind (and SoS are usually very diplomatic with their reviewing).

lukasbrooklyn

Return to Steinberg Lounge