Waves NLS vs. Slate VCC

Understood completely.
The Slate VCC and the Waves NLS (I cannot speak for Stetson as I do not own it) are designed for ease of use and fast results whereas Strip/Bus is for those who want to get into the depths as well as get up & running quickly.
Also potentially misleading is the use of words like “distortion” as although this is exactly correct (what we like from analogue desks turns out to be the distortions (and odd/even harmonics) & nonlinearities that get added to an audio signal as it passes through discrete electronic components like valves, FET’s etc and the EQ distortions added by the classic Neve 1073 etc but it is all pleasing noise unlike digital distortion which is anything but.
Watching crosstalk when bypassing also makes sense too, although neither VCC or NLS actually have inter-channel crosstalk at all - never mind an adjustable one and it is there for those who really want to mess around - I would leave it off unless the interaction is wanted for some reason.

Don’t let that put you off though, as this is all customizable & can be turned off if not wanted.