Encoder Checker - Question

I’ve noticed that when loud non-MFiT iTunes store files are analyzed in Wavelab 8.5 Global Analysis, the digital peak is -0.0003, and they have no one-sample clips on the error tab. Those same files show digital peak 0.0000 and many one-sample clips in Wavelab 8.03 (as they would show in Apple AFCLIP). I ‘guess’ this is because 8.5 uses the Fraunhofer AAC codec to decode, and 8.03 uses the Apple AAC codec to decode. Is that correct?

Ideally, to me, an Encoder Checker would have 2 purposes, depending on the client: (1) for label clients, to mirror as closely as possible the codecs that the record labels or retailers are going to use to make their lossy files from the mastering studio’s DDP or WAV, or (2) to include “better” codecs (like the Fraunhofer) for those who are able to utilize them for self sales.

That’s why I think the Apple codec should be added to the encoder checker and Global Analysis. Because that’s what Apple uses to make the AACs in the iTunes store, making them from the mastering WAV or DDP. I admit the codec request is picky, especially considering they’re lossy files, but Apple is picky.

Someday I’d like to analyze what codec/settings all of the retailers/streamers are using for encode/decode. That would be more exact information to add to an encoder checker, and since Wavelab includes Ogg Vorbis, could include the Spotify stream.