Pro Tools vs Nuendo

Yes it would be very close to perfect.

I agree. It is suggestions as to make our fav DAW even better.
I don’t want Nuendo to be like PT (then I would have used…PT :wink: ), but rather “snatch” some things that are better in PT.
I can’t see why some people seem to be hurt when good suggestions are brought up. That makes no sense.

@Brandy - How are you handling the crosshatching event on top/overlapping look in N6.5?
I remember there was some discussions around the topic when N5 were released (I’ve been, for the most part, on Cubase 6.5 since then).
And editing, start/end of events were hidden behind other events after editing/moving. Is this behaviour fixed/changed?

Mh well, I have to say I am “that” used to it in the meantime that I can just not tell ATM - closed Nuendo 6.5 after a 13h recording session one hour ago… :wink: I do not have a clue how it looks because I stopped taking care about that long time ago…

And I am using lanes in combination with grouped folder tracks to handle 90% of the recorded audio - so I do not have to deal with crosshatched overlaps much, I “watch” my stuff in the lanes view mostly - and I edit / comp the events there. In the end - when I start mixing - I just delete overlaps with a keystroke and / or consolidate (to use a PT term) the shitloads of edits/snippets to solid waves. AND I usually use transparent events - here the overlaps are displayed different… just a grey mess. But well - just switch to lanes and you have a nice overview about whats going on. I do not know if PT has lanes… but if not, then PT is just poor :wink:

PT’s lane view is better than Nuendo’s but it’s a different philosophy. There are no overlapping events in PT and you can expand playlists (track versions) to lanes.

Try expanding track versions in Nuendo to lanes - not going to happen at least not without a bit of a fundamental overhaul on the overlapping audio/lanes/track versions complexity we now have.

100 %.
I don’t mind the mixer I got used to it. I wish Nuendo mixer would have EQ “knobs” view. The text/sliders are unreadable when working with the min zoom. To much information.
Knobs are easier on the eyes, example the strip parameters.
The floating fader and import session are the ones i miss the most.

I think Nuendo is better with the exception of the lack of VCAs and a proper track grouping functionality. I’ve mixed in PT for a long time now and groups especially are really essential in organizing large sessions. The lack of a good grouping functionality really slows me down in Nuendo, every single time I use it. What also baffles me is that the development of it has been soooo slow, and that what’s here is so half-baked. Without the ability to name and re-name the groups you’re forced to remember what’s what. And you can’t modify what is included in a group once it’s created. And you can’t disable some groups while leaving others activated. Etc.

There really isn’t much other than those two things that I need from this app as far as I can see. Well, that and a return to certain GUIs and functionality of old. All other things wished for are to me nice extras, gravy, but ultimately not really essential to a modern DAW.

Naming groups is very useful.
Has anyone tried to group a Fx track with Altiverb 7? I does not seem to work although any other verb will follow if it was grouped.I do like the quick grouping in N 6, find myself using that more and more

me too.

Regarding linked plugins: Some link, some not… It is cool to adjust parameter on “same” tracks at one - for example adjusting the compressor on a couple of quick-grouped backvox.

Waves CLA Comps group nicely, Sonnox EQ etc… other plugins only some parameter, not all, some not.

Concerning considering coming back to Nuendo:
OMF/AAF still is not reliable. And that is the very basic starting point for every single project. I need to have faith in Nuendos OMF/AAF-Engine.
Tried to give the N6.5-Trial a shot yesterday, OMF was not imported correctly (all fades were missing), so back to PT

Give us back dedicated buttons for Plugin On Off Bypass, Send Pre/Postfader!

Give us back a user-definable UI of the channel editor and control room! This mouse-click-tabs have to be removed soon!

Concerning editing:
please let us leave offline-plugins open, that we can click on region, click process, click on region, click process,…
That really is a major advantage in PT-editing!

Concerning mixing:
please let us show automation data on the tracks, so that we can see all vol-automation at a glance, without doubling(!) the visible track-amount.
And, in addition, this makes copying of automation data from one lane to several others so much faster!

And please optimize the look of automation-lanes. This huge dots we got in N5 are terrible! Pro Tools automation looks so much finer and more professional!

And we need a permanent visual indicator if automation is following editing, or not. We have a biiiiiig automation panel, but one of the most important automation-settings is not implemented here. Don’t care about most of the other buttons on it…
In PT11 they even made their “automation-follows-edit”-button shining red, if not activated. That’s great!

And we need a permanent visual indicator if automation is following editing, or not.

automation_follows_events.png

Wow, great! Thank you, I missed that. It’s new in 6.5? Cool!

It’s getting time to try 6.5, but need a AAF before which works without restrictions. I tried three.

Great list.

• infinity.

I have Pro Tools 10 and 11 Native and my issue isn’t with the features. I can’t load nearly the plugins and virtual instruments in Pro Tools as I can utilizing the same computer in Nuendo.

I’m curious if this issue is only with the Native Pro Tools version. I’ve tried all sorts of alternate settings in Pro Tools with how it interacts with the hardware and nothing seems to help. :confused:

Are you Mac or PC?

I have Pro Tools 10 and 11 Native and my issue isn’t with the features. I can’t load nearly the plugins and virtual instruments in Pro Tools as I can utilizing the same computer in Nuendo.

I’m curious if this issue is only with the Native Pro Tools version. I’ve tried all sorts of alternate settings in Pro Tools with how it interacts with the hardware and nothing seems to help. :confused:

I am on a PC, 32 gigs of memory with a quad 3.4 processor.

As soon as Nuendo is back to a visually “quiet”, useful mixer GUI like ProTools (or every Nuendo-version up to 5.x) I will consider upgrading again. :imp:

Session data import, floating volume faders, automation data overlay, and especially the possibility to expand a mono track to stereo (or more) by means of a plug-in are other PT-features I’m waiting for a long time.

A BIG +1… and one more +1

+1

I never understood why you’d have to export something from a session in order to import it into another…why not allow importing of the session itself with the same selection options of which tracks and bits to use…

I hope we soon get session import feature.

I’m also pretty sure that the mixer will quiet down a bit.

That being said. It took me several months, but now I love the new mixer. Or most of it.
I do not like all the “hover the mouse here” features.
But the way we can configure the mixer now, especially after we got track visibility in both project and mixer and the option to sync them, I like it a lot.

I love that it is very fast to insert plugins, even directly from the keyboard. Duplicate and move plugins etc.

Pål

Just asking out of ignorance here;

What is this “Import Session Data” function?

It is that you have one project open, then you can get whatever you like from another project (NUendo .npr file) and just import it into your current project.

This is a very popular feature of Pro Tools and very, very important in the post world.

Pål