8.5.1 // smart bypass + recording

a quick one about smart bypass:

#1 smart bypass does not stay above all windows. how can i open it that it is floating above all?
is there a way that there is no constant focus on the rms-time-value? it interferes with transport key commands.

#2 if in smart bypass i select “processed file + level correction” and want to record through what is played back through the record window , also the level correction is recorded!
is it supposed to be like that?
i always have to double check, also since the smart bypass window is not floating.

thanks!!!

apart from that 8.5.1 seems to be way more stable for me as was vs 8.

The Smart Bypass window stays on top on Win 7. Maybe that problem only happens on Mac?

(I assume you’re still using the External Gear plugin, with input on 17 and 18?). The level correction is not recorded if “audio input (hardware)” is selected in the record dialog. But you’re right, it is recorded if “record what is played back” is selected. I guess that’s a question for PG whether that’s proper or not. It ‘sort of’ makes sense under those circumstances, but maybe not. I guess one wouldn’t expect it.

The Smart Bypass window stays on top on Win 7. Maybe that problem only happens on Mac?

hm it doesnt on the mac…?

[quote=“kapverden”]
#2 if in smart bypass i select “processed file + level correction” and want to record through what is played back through the record window , also the level correction is recorded!is it supposed to be like that? i always have to double check, also since the smart bypass window is not floating.
[/quote]

(I assume you’re still using the External Gear plugin, with input on 17 and 18?). The level correction is not recorded if “audio input (hardware)” is selected in the record dialog. But you’re right, it is recorded if “record what is played back” is selected. I guess that’s a question for PG whether that’s proper or not. It ‘sort of’ makes sense under those circumstances, but maybe not. I guess one wouldn’t expect it.

[/quote]

sure, it wont reflect on the recording if you record the input directly.
but it does if you record “what is played back”.

and yes it is a question for PG, there must be some reasoning behind that.

i´m wondering, because i would consider the “smart bypass + levelcorrection” a monitoring-feature rather than a recording-tool, it falls into the same categroy as speaker gain, no?

Actually on Windows the Smart Bypass window stays on top unless you switch to a workspace that isn’t displaying the Master Section. Then it goes away. Maybe that’s what you’re talking about?

I agree, I don’t think it should record. It was unexpected for both of us. So it might be unexpected for others.

You’re right kapverden. It doesn’t stay on top of plugins either. Sorry to mess up your request.

Dear PG,

the Smart Bypass Window does not stay on top of other windows, i can not open it in “floating mode”.
What happens is that i quite often forget about that i´m listening in level-corrected mode and record that.
Would there be a possibility to change this in the next update?

Further, if i use Master Section presets, f.e. i save one and then change parameters in a plugin, it would be great if the name down in the preset menu signalizes that the master section preset is no longer the same as the stored and loaded one. Maybe in red or red* ?

Thank you so much!
K

The Smart Bypass Window does not stay on top of other windows.

Mac or Windows?

mac os 10.8.5

hi pg

can you reproduce this?

thanks!
kapverden

Yes, it is fixed in upcoming patch.

great news !!
thanks !!

I wouldn’t expect my monitoring settings to impact recording either, so that would catch me out for sure! That said, it’s not inconsistent or surprising wrt Wavelab’s workflow; the hierarchy of the app sort of suggests this would be so.

At very least, a preference to isolate monitoring functions from signal processing would be helpful in a future version. Or better yet, a parameter and savable preset in the master section for capturing smart level corrections and other monitor-related settings in recordings would be wonderful. Wavelab’s monitoring facilities are getting better all the time, but after a version’s worth of use this seems like an obvious next step.

Finally +1G to Kapverden’s request:

This is no small deal, given the presence of another identically-named, but not functionally identical “master” section for Montages. Increasingly I am getting high res sources, with corresponding higher res delivery targets (MfiT, vinyl, Pono). In WL it’s making my days unnecessarily longer when I forget to change master section out, forcing re-renders. When a master section’s saved with the file, there’s usually a reason. I realize there are good reasons for it not to load with the file, but I’d sure like some visual reference telling me it differs when one exists.

Thanks PG!