Switching 32 to 64

I have running cubase element 6 32bit now, and I have bought an upgrade to elements 7.

Now I want to install the 64 version of cubase 7 elements, because I have a 64 bit windows system and I thought it will work better. But I have a few questions about it.

• Is the 7/64 version gonna take over the the 6/32 version, and how about the 7/32?
  • Can I run my old projects on the 64?
  • How about the vst and vsti plugins? I have a lot of plugins only in 32. Can I stil use them on a 64?
  • What would you recommend me to do? I’m now running the installer and have to make a change to the 32-bit or 64 bit version button.

Sorry for my english, I’m just a dutchman.

On Windows, the 32 bit and 64 versions install seperately as completely independent programs.
HTH
J.L.

• Is the 7/64 version gonna take over the the 6/32 version, and how about the 7/32?

You can install and run both versions on the same system without issue… They will not touch the C6 install either.

Can I run my old projects on the 64?

Yes you can.

• How about the vst and vsti plugins? I have a lot of plugins only in 32. Can I stil use them on a 64

Short answer yes…but it’s not quite so black & white. Some 32bit plugs work with Cubase bridge, some may cause problems.
Jbridge is often recommended as an upgrade to Steinberg bridge and has a very high level of compatibility though there may still be a few things you cannot get working and some that take a few tweaks before they run well.
This is how I run my remaining 32bit only plugs.

What would you recommend me to do? I’m now running the installer and have to make a change to the 32-bit or 64 bit version button

I’m sure you can make up your own mind now you have the relevant info :slight_smile:

Install the x64 version, don’t delete the x86 application for now. Get jBridge (here: jBridge ( for Windows ) | J's stuff it’s only $20), convert all your x86 VST’s and then see if everything works with the x64 program. If it does, you can delete the x86 executable (though it takes such little HD room, I wouldn’t even bother…)

Yes, your old projects will open fine in the x64 application.

BTW, if you have 4 gigs of RAM or less, don’t bother and keep the x86 program. In order to take advantage of x64, you have to have at least 8.