To Update/Upgrade or Not?

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software

To Update/Upgrade or Not?

Postby Tifo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:43 am

Greetings,

I'm a newbie here, but not to Cubase. I'm a home recording enthusiast and songwriter - one man show now. Used VST, then LE until CS4 and then CS5. I have been using CS5.1.1 with the iMac, Firestudio, and a few plugins. It all functions very well with extremely few glitches, if any. I have not updated to 5.5.2 or now 5.5.3 yet. I like the idea of more instruments and sounds and VariAudio if I upgraded to C6, but I have to move up to Snow Leopard as well. Feeling a little nervous about potentially screwing up what already works on my system...shall I jump? Any opinions about all this would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
iMac 2.66 Core 2 Duo, 8 GB, OS 10.8.5; MacBook Pro 2.5 Core i5, 4 GB, OS 10.8.5; Cubase 7.5.2, 7.0.7 & 6.0.7, Firestudio 26x26, FaderPort, Presonus MSR, dbx 376 and 163, Superior Drummer, T-Racks 3 Deluxe, Amplitube Fender, HALion Symphonic Orchestra 16-bit
Tifo
New Member
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:19 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: To Update/Upgrade or Not?

Postby goddfodder » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:54 am

If it were me id go for C6. It might actually be a pretty painless transition to what really is a pretty stable platform from its launch. plus it looks bad ass and from where your coming from, is loaded with new features.
Cubase 7/6/5/4 ~ i7 950 ~ Asus P6X58D-E ~ 12Gb DDR3 1600Mhz ~ ATI Radeon HD 5850 ~ 2T Samsung ~ Akasa Nero S ~ Win 7 (64) ~ Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 ~ Yamaha KX 25, Yamaha KX 49, Novation Impulse 61.~ Yamaha HS80's.
goddfodder
Member
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:19 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: To Update/Upgrade or Not?

Postby Tifo » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:08 pm

Thanks for the input goddfodder! I'll keep checking the C6 OS10.6.7 discussions too, but I probably can't hold off too much longer before I go for the C6. Anyone else with a similar system doing this upgrade?
iMac 2.66 Core 2 Duo, 8 GB, OS 10.8.5; MacBook Pro 2.5 Core i5, 4 GB, OS 10.8.5; Cubase 7.5.2, 7.0.7 & 6.0.7, Firestudio 26x26, FaderPort, Presonus MSR, dbx 376 and 163, Superior Drummer, T-Racks 3 Deluxe, Amplitube Fender, HALion Symphonic Orchestra 16-bit
Tifo
New Member
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:19 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: To Update/Upgrade or Not?

Postby erdwandler » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:27 pm

The OSX upgrade I did do it too.
I think it's recommendable though i also remember the sentence "never touch a running system"...
upgrades always have a mess-up potential...

Concerning upgrade to C6: I honestly have to say that I will ignore it. I'll stick to the fact, that sometimes it's wise to leave out one version.
Why? You don't get used to run after every upgrade, sometimes the benefits are small but the price is respectively high. And in my case: I don't see any obvious reason which would make the change to C6 really necessary. I'll wait for C7 I guess ;-)
C4 to C5 was good, lots of good & new features I could need. but C5 to C6: from my point of view C5 is good enough and features are not worth it. Specifically: As a producer and not "recorder" lots of benefits in C6 do not apply for me. If I'd work with more raw audio material I perhaps would think about it again...
------------------------------------
erdwandler
myspace/erdwandler
soundcloud/erwandler

Notebook: MacBook Pro 4,1, Intel Core 2 Duo (2.6 GHz), 4 GB RAM, 800 MHz Bus, OSX 10.6.7
Soundcard: MOTU UltraLite mk3 (Firewire)
Gear: Clavia Nord Wave, Clavia NordRack2, Access Virusb
Cubase 5.5.1, 4.5.2, SX3 & AI4
erdwandler
Junior Member
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: To Update/Upgrade or Not?

Postby Tifo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:46 am

Good information, thanks. So I've now upgraded to Snow Leopard 10.6.7, and Cubase Studio 5.1.1 is running as smoothly as ever. I've read some other posts where 5.5 is not so wonderful...I'm going to stick with 5.1.1 and order C6 now since that's a worthwhile jump from Studio 5.

Cheers indeed!
iMac 2.66 Core 2 Duo, 8 GB, OS 10.8.5; MacBook Pro 2.5 Core i5, 4 GB, OS 10.8.5; Cubase 7.5.2, 7.0.7 & 6.0.7, Firestudio 26x26, FaderPort, Presonus MSR, dbx 376 and 163, Superior Drummer, T-Racks 3 Deluxe, Amplitube Fender, HALion Symphonic Orchestra 16-bit
Tifo
New Member
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:19 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time


Return to Older Cubase versions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest