How to use Cubase VST on a computer without printer port
Problem: You cannot connect the Cubase VST dongle because your new computer does not provide a LPT (Line Printer Terminal) resp. parallel port.
Solution 1: Give your contemporary computer a contemporary Cubase version that comes with an USB dongle, the so called USB-eLicenser.
Solution 2: Equip your computer with a LPT port by installing a corresponding PCI card. However, the compatibility of an upgraded LPT port with the Cubase VST dongle cannot be guaranteed. USB-based LPT port emulations are generally unsuitable!
Solution 3: We can provide you with an activation code as a replacement. With this code you can download a Cubase VST 5, Cubase VST Score 5 or Cubase VST/32 5 license to a USB-eLicenser.
Please note that a replacement is only possible with the blue LPT dongle which comes with one of the named Cubase VST 5 versions! Previous Cubase licenses on red LPT dongles cannot be replaced!
For the conversion to USB-eLicenser you'll need:
- Any computer running Windows XP with internet access and USB port.
- The blue LPT dongle with a valid Cubase VST 5, Cubase VST Score 5 or Cubase VST/32 5 license.
- An USB-eLicenser. If you do not already own one, you can get it from your local Steinberg dealer and in our Online Shop.
- The eLicenser Control Center. You can download the latest version here.
Please consider that the development of Cubase VST 5 has been ceased in 2002! The compatibility of the program is not affected by storing the license on an USB-eLicenser. The latest supported and thus recommended operating system is and will be Windows XP, even though in many cases, Cubase VST 5 can be used on later Windows versions.
In principle, support for Cubase VST 5 in addition to this article cannot be provided.
And this is how you do it:
- Damage the dongle in a way that it becomes obviously unusable. For example, two or three hammer blows on the dongle wrapped in a newspaper should do the trick.
- Send a picture of the destroyed (!) dongle to this address. Please make sure that the label showing the Cubase version can be seen clearly.
- Now some patience is required. Your application will be reviewed and once you have received the Activation Code, you may proceed.
- Install the eLicenser Control Center on a suitable computer (see above).
It is not necessary to install Cubase VST in order to be able to download the license!
- Plug in the USB-eLicenser.
When Windows notifies that new hardware has been connected dismiss the suggested search for software. Click on [Next] and let Windows Hardware Detection automatically install the driver.
- Start the eLicenser Control Center via Start > Programs > eLicenser.
- Click on "Enter Activation Code" and, well, enter the activation code you've received.
Important: The license download can only be processed online!
The blue Cubase VST 5 LPT Dongle and his USB successor, the USB-eLicenser.
After the transfer is completed you can use the USB-eLicenser for activating any Cubase VST 5 installation (correpsonding to the license) on any suitable computer.
Last but not least: Solutions 1 and 3 do not exclude each other. Of course you can transfer the Cubase VST 5 license to a USB-eLicenser that came with a current Cubase version that you've purchased.