What does activation mean?
Activating a Steinberg product means entering the Activation Code in the eLicenser Control Center (eLCC) to obtain a license which is then stored on an eLicenser.
Where do I get my Activation Code?
Most of our boxed products have the Activation Code printed on the Essential Product License Information sheet inside the product’s box.
In case you purchased a download product from the Steinberg Online Shop, you have received the Activation Code with your order confirmation via email.
Some Steinberg products (Cubase AI, Cubase LE and WaveLab LE) have a time-limited license which is generated during the installation process, in which case you may request an Activation Code for a permanent license via our online registration system MySteinberg.
Another more recent option is the Download Access Code provided to download and activate products like Cubase LE and Cubase AI in their current versions.
How do I use an Activation Code?
Before you can launch your new Steinberg software, you have to use the Activation Code to download the license to your eLicenser. Proceed as follows:
- Install your product.
- Make sure that your computer has a working Internet connection. This connection is necessary to activate the license because the eLicenser Control Center (eLCC) needs to communicate with our license server.
- Download and install the latest compatible version of the eLicenser Control Center. Click here to download.
- Keep your Activation Code ready.
- Open the eLicenser Control Center which can be found in the "Program Files" (Windows) or "Applications" (Mac) folder.
- (Skip this step for Soft-eLicenser based products) Make sure to have the USB-eLicenser connected to the computer. It must be listed in the "eLicensers" column in the eLCC.
- Click on the green "Enter Activation Code" button at the top left. Follow the instructions to enter your code(s). You can copy and paste the code using the normal commands.
- After the activation procedure the new license is displayed under "Licenses" on the right and your product is ready to use. To activate other licenses, simply repeat the steps listed above.
Licenses for Soft-eLicenser based products can also be activated on a USB-eLicenser. If one is found by the eLCC, you can choose the eLicenser to download the license to.
In case you have no connection to the Internet on the computer on which you intend to use the software, you can always use a different computer for the license activation. A USB-eLicenser is required for this workaround!
Simply download and install the eLicenser Control Center separately on the Internet computer without installing the complete product. Now, just connect the USB-eLicenser to the computer and start the eLCC. Enter the Activation Code and choose the USB-eLicenser as the target device. After the successful license download, you can connect the USB-eLicenser to any other computer to start the software installed.
If you have any trouble with the license download, please visit our support contact page and contact the support team responsible for your country. Please describe the problem and include your activation code and a member of Steinberg Support will help.
The following videos provide an overview of the necessary steps: