Search found more than 1803 matches

Return

Re: Is there anything new in Score Editor ?

We're still working hard on our new application, but we won't be able to announce anything about a release date until we're really close to finishing the first version. I expect to post a further update on our progress on the blog (at http://blog.steinberg.net) before the end of the month, so please stay tuned for news there.

I hope everybody enjoys Cubase 8. I know the team in Hamburg have poured their hearts and souls into it.

Daniel
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: When will Chords be available?

Yes, almost all of my own music is vocal. Lyrics will definitely be included – they are already close to being fully implemented.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Tue May 17, 2016 5:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Let's talk about parts

The whole point of the "players holding instruments" model that we have adopted for Dorico is to handle the kinds of situations you describe.

The first version of Dorico will show our intent in this area, though it will not be completely realised in the initial release. I will share some more information about our true end-game for parts preparation a bit further down the line, but I'm pretty sure that you'll be happy with what we have been working on. I hope that's not too frustratingly cryptic a response at this stage.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Tue May 17, 2016 5:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Different stave sizes

You can change the stave size not only of an individual stave within the system (as a percentage of the global stave size), and you can also change the global stave size at any system break. So you'll be able to do it all within a single project in Dorico, no problem.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Tue May 17, 2016 5:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm not super-experienced with using lyrics in Finale, but we are certainly doing our best to make working with lyrics in Dorico as smooth as possible. I know this is an area that interests a lot of users (just as it interests me personally) so I will try to include details about this in a future development diary update in the summer.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Tue May 17, 2016 5:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Interaction with Cubase/Nuendo?

In the initial release, Dorico will be a completely stand-alone application. Over time we have plans to develop features that will allow workflows that move from Dorico to Cubase and vice versa, and perhaps in the future closer integration still. At the moment, we are working on the things that will provide the foundations for more powerful workflows in the future.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Tue May 17, 2016 6:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ReWire?

We are not presently working on ReWire support, Vili. At this stage I'm not sure whether it is likely in the v1.x timeframe or not. We will have to see how the program's playback and audio features progress in more general terms before we will know more about this.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Tue May 17, 2016 6:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Uodates/upgrades

Steinberg does not currently offer any of its major products using subscription pricing. The most recent version of Cubase, Cubase Pro 8.5, includes an optional feature called VST Transit that allows you to collaborate with other users across the world, and which allows you to upgrade for additional storage and bandwidth, but you are not forced to use this feature if you buy Cubase.

We do not plan to have any service-based offering as part of the initial release of Dorico, though I wouldn't rule out some kind of additional services in some far-off future release. So you will purchase Dorico 1.0, and you will receive any 1.0.x maintenance releases free of charge, plus any releases that include additional features in the 1.x series, without having to spend any further money.

When we eventually release a major new version – which could be either 1.5 or 2.0, though at this stage it's too early to say (let us get 1.0 out of the door first) – then users will be able to choose whether or not to purchase the update to the new version.

I cannot provide details at this stage of the frequency or cost of major, paid updates for Dorico, but if you look at Steinberg's other products, such as Cubase and WaveLab, in general we aim for major (x.0) and minor (x.5) versions in alternate years. I would expect Dorico to eventually fall into that kind of release cadence, but it's too early to say with certainty whether or when that will happen.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Tue May 17, 2016 8:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Third party VSTs

This is indeed a complex area, and since playback is only in its earliest stages at the moment, it's not really possible to go into great detail about this at this stage.

However, the intention is certainly that you will be able to use third party VST instruments and effects with Dorico. You will have direct control over which device, channel, patch (and other things like controller, keyswitch, etc.) should be used to play each playing technique played by each voice of each instrument, and that might mean that they are all played by the same device, all of them played by different devices, or anything in between.

The idea behind the MIDI editor in Play mode is to allow basic graphical MIDI editing; the intention is not to replace Cubase, but instead to give users who are savvy about how to bring virtual instrument playback to life the tools to do at least some of that work in Dorico, rather than forcing them to move to the sequencer or DAW right away.

As playback becomes more developed over the summer months, we will be able to provide more information.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Tue May 17, 2016 8:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Migrating from Sibelius

You'll be able to bring existing scores from Finale or Sibelius into Dorico by way of MusicXML.

We have worked hard to make the default appearance of projects that start life as MusicXML files as good as we can. Nevertheless, my advice would be to keep finished projects in your existing scoring software, and only bring across projects that are either early enough in the process that reviewing the layout, parts, etc. will not be a big problem, or finished projects that require substantial revision.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Tue May 17, 2016 9:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: System Requirements

Steinberg's policy on operating system support is to qualify the current version of the target operating system at the time of release of a given version of a product. What this means in practice is that Dorico will officially support Windows 10 (since it's unlikely a whole new version of Windows will appear before the fourth quarter of this year) and whatever the current version of OS X is at the time of release (perhaps called macOS by then!).

In practice, I believe we are running Dorico in-house on a mixture of Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, and OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) and 10.11 (El Capitan), with no major problems. I believe it can also be made to run on 64-bit Windows 7 if various runtime add-ons from Microsoft can be installed on the system, though I would definitely recommend using a more recent version of Windows.

I myself am using a mid-2012 MacBook Pro with Retina Display running El Capitan and Dorico runs great on it.

You will definitely need a 64-bit operating system, at least 4GB RAM (preferably 8GB or more), and around 12GB hard disk/storage space. An Internet connection will be required for product activation (and will be useful for downloading patches etc.). An ASIO-compatible audio interface (such as our excellent UR-22 Mk II, my own personal choice) is also recommended.

The above is all very provisional and totally subject to change. We will provide full system requirements as the release approaches.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Tue May 17, 2016 9:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Plugins?

We do have the beginnings of a scripting API already built into Dorico, using the Lua scripting language. At the moment, script plug-ins are limited to the sorts of things you can do in a macro recorder, i.e. triggering commands that are in the user interface. This can be useful for batch processing operations, but as yet it doesn't really provide much access to the internals of the application or the music you write.

Over time we hope to broaden and deepen the API so that the kinds of extraordinary plug-ins written for Sibelius by legends like Bob Zawalich and for Finale by people like Jari Williamson can be written for Dorico as well, but like many other aspects of our development, it will take a little while for the application's capabilities to match up with our aspirations!
by Daniel at Steinberg
Tue May 17, 2016 10:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dorico on Surface Pro

No handwriting support in Dorico for the short- to medium-term, I'm afraid! The work that David and Matt at StaffPad have done to get handwriting recognition working so smoothly is an entire R&D project in itself. We've gone in something of a different direction.

What I think could be interesting – and what we hope to be able to look into properly once we have Dorico out of the door and humming along – is some kind of workflow that marries Dorico and StaffPad. I'm not sure what form this might take, but we keep in close touch with David from StaffPad and we are both interested in making this happen when it makes sense for both of us.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Tue May 17, 2016 11:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pricing/purchasing

The limited period will begin when Dorico is generally available, so it will begin at some point in the fourth quarter of 2016. We quite often run time-limited promotions of various sorts (for example, Pro Tools users can crossgrade to Cubase at a reduced price at the moment, and the promotion has been running for a few months now; I believe it has in fact been extended once because it has been so successful), and they typically run for several months, to make sure that people have a chance to hear about them and take advantage of them if they are interested.

You don't need to worry. Once full terms and conditions for the crossgrade are made available, we will make sure that the closing date of the promotion is made clear at the time.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Tue May 17, 2016 8:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Setup mode - add players

That's a fair question, Ian. As a singer myself, I must say I don't find the use of the term "player" exclusionary, but I feel a bit bad that others might find it to be so!

We did kick around various terms early in development, but a long time ago we settled on "player" and at this stage it's unlikely that we'll switch to "musician." Certainly it wouldn't be trivial to change at this stage, with localisation etc. getting underway.

(I recall that Igor Engraver, which was perhaps the first scoring software to have anything like this kind of concept, did use the term "musician" rather than "player".)
by Daniel at Steinberg
Tue May 17, 2016 11:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Congratulations and Thank you to Daniel and his team

You're very welcome, David. I hope we'll be able to have some useful and fun discussions here while we all wait...
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 18, 2016 12:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fonts

We plan to include a number of text fonts. The text font that is used by default at the moment, which you can see glimpses of in the screenshots that have been published to date, is a font called Academico, which is a recreation of the Century Schoolbook font family (by my not particularly fair hand).

I anticipate that we will include some other OFL-licensed font families as well (Bravura is also released under the OFL). There are some super ones, including classic typefaces often used in scores.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 18, 2016 12:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Drums & Percussion symbols

We still have a lot of work to do in the area of unpitched percussion at this stage. We have lots of grand plans and have done a lot of the research required into instruments, their playing techniques, and the notations used for those techniques. I hope to be able to share some more details about this once we have got more of it working, so please watch this space.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Tue May 17, 2016 11:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: software protection/registration/license

Dorico uses the soft-eLicenser, which is a challenge-response system: you receive an Activation Code when you buy Dorico, either as a download or as a boxed product, and after installation, you run the eLicenser Control Center (eLCC), into which you type your Activation Code. eLCC phones home to Steinberg's activation servers, and licenses your software so that it will run thereafter without needing to check with our servers.

At the present time, a soft-eLicenser locks the license for Dorico to a single computer, and you can't easily de-authorise from one computer in order to install and activate on another computer. So if you need to run Dorico on multiple computers, you can transfer your soft-eLicenser to a hardware USB-eLicenser, colloquially known as a dongle. The USB-eLicenser plugs into the USB port on your computer and using eLCC you can simply drag the Dorico license from your soft-eLicenser to the USB-eLicenser. Thereafter Dorico will run only when the USB-eLicenser is connected to the computer you're trying to run the software on.

Answers to frequently asked questions about the soft-eLicenser can be found here: https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/soft-elicenser-sel-faq.html
by Daniel at Steinberg
Tue May 17, 2016 10:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Flows

The smallest imaginable flow is, I guess, a single note or rest.

The idea behind flows is simply to allow proper management of music that is in more than one chunk, whether that's a songbook containing multiple independent songs, or a symphony containing multiple movements, or an exam paper containing multiple questions, or a musical containing multiple numbers, or a critical edition containing multiple footnotes, and so on.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Tue May 17, 2016 11:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fonts

Of course you will be able to use any text font family that is already installed on your system, as you please.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 18, 2016 12:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cubase score editor - defunct?!

Don't worry: the Cubase score editor continues to be under the stewardship of its longtime developer, Michael Michaelis, and his team at HQ in Hamburg. I don't know exactly what is planned for future versions of Cubase with regard to the score editor, but I do know that there are no short-term plans to remove or replace it.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 18, 2016 12:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Multiple Tempi and Time Signatures

We have designed the underlying architecture and the way that Dorico thinks about music to make this possible to implement, but polytempo where the bar and beat lengths do not align will not be possible in the very first version; it is possible that you may be able to write music where the beat lengths do not align but the bar lengths do (e.g. 2/4 vs. 6/8 and similar), but we're not yet sure.

Over time we intend to support polymetric and polytempo music, but these are not small challenges to meet.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 18, 2016 9:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: List of Instruments

No, Greg, I'm afraid I can't, whether you're asking for a list of all of the sounds that are included with the program, or of all of the types of instruments you will be able to assign to players to write for in the score.

For the former, you can check out the list of sounds included in HALion Symphonic Orchestra here:

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/vst/halion_symphonic_orchestra/what_you_get.html

but there is no good list of the 1400-plus sounds included with HALion Sonic SE 2.

For the latter, basically any instrument you can think of, you'll be able to write for in Dorico. We will not have support for guitar and other kinds of tablature in the first version, but if it's a pitched or unpitched instrument that uses a regular stave, you'll be able to write for it.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 18, 2016 9:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You're basically right, Peter. Certainly you will not need to manually create instrument changes when the flute player switches to piccolo and back again: the program will automatically create the necessary transitions at the point at which the player puts down one instrument and picks up the other.

For the percussion case, you could start with a single percussionist and assign all of the instruments to that player, then later on create additional percussion players and simply drag the existing instruments from the first player to any of the others, which instantly updates their parts (and potentially also how the instruments are shown in the full score).
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 18, 2016 9:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Note (or rather, Music) Transformations / "Reflowing"

We don't actually have an exposed bit of user interface to turn a selection of notes into a tuplet yet, but it's definitely the sort of thing Dorico is designed to be able to do, so I expect we will be able to add this at some point.

You can already e.g. remove notes from a tuplet by selecting the tuplet number or bracket and deleting it, which unscales all the notes that were previously in the tuplet (and either overwrites the following notes, or not, based on whether Insert is engaged in the note input toolbox).
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 18, 2016 11:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Graphics?

You will definitely be able to import graphics in a variety of formats in the first version, in SVG, JPG, PNG, and TIFF formats. We do not expect to have any direct drawing tools in the first version of Dorico, but we hope to be able to add these in a future version of the software.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 18, 2016 2:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Migrating from Sibelius

Sorry to disappoint you, Bengt! This issue is addressed in the FAQs on my blog:

Sibelius and Finale use proprietary file formats and reverse-engineering of proprietary file formats is illegal in some countries. In any case, simply being able to read the contents of a Sibelius or Finale file would not be sufficient to be able to import the music contained within, because both applications rely on algorithms and rules contained in the software itself rather than the files saved on disk to work out how to display and format the music in the files. So in order to import music from Sibelius or Finale files, we would have to additionally reverse-engineer many of those algorithms and rules, which is impractical (as well as illegal in some countries). However, our new application will support MusicXML for both import and export, and both Sibelius and Finale have very good support for MusicXML, so that will be the recommended way to transfer data between different programs.

For more, see http://blog.steinberg.net/faq/
by Daniel at Steinberg
Tue May 17, 2016 10:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Very sadly I will never purchase Dorico

As I've said in reply to a number of comments with similar sentiments on the blog over the last day or so, I hear you loud and clear on this point. We do not want our licensing technology to be an obstacle to buying Dorico. We are not going to be in a position to release Dorico without some kind of licensing system in place, and we are also for practical reasons limited to the options that our eLicenser technology provides. Please let me revisit this issue with my colleagues, and I will come back to you with further information.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 18, 2016 4:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I do not expect to have full support for figured bass, Roman numerals, or function symbols in the first version of Dorico either, I'm afraid.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 18, 2016 9:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: [Dongles] I am not mean to Dorico team, but sth serious.

I am personally not involved in the development decisions around our eLicenser technology, but I will pass your feedback on to them, ShikiSuen.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 12:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Roman Numerals Used Among Conservatories in Japan

I would hope that we will be able to look at alternative ways of describing harmonies textually when we tackle chord symbols; this would perhaps include not only Roman numerals but also Nashville numbers. I can't, at this stage, promise that we will definitely support this within a specific timeframe, but support for Roman numerals is definitely in our plans.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 12:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Roman Numerals Used Among Conservatories in Japan

I believe this notation system is known as jianpu, am I correct?

I think this has more in common with solfège and other solmization systems used in Western culture – which describe melody as opposed to harmony – than with chord symbols and Roman numerals. I'm not sure that our work on chord symbols would be likely to include either solfège or jianpu.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 12:17 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Drawing CC-curves

There will be a single displayed automation lane, as things stand, but you can choose which controller you're looking at, and the program will remember all of the values you set, even if you can only see one set at a time.

We expect to be able to record automation data in real-time from your MIDI controller, but it's not yet clear whether this capability will be in the first version of the audio engine that our colleagues in Hamburg are working on at the moment.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 12:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Engraver questions (text placement , PDF export)

Dorico automatically aligns tempo instructions correctly according to the established conventions for such things, e.g. the left-hand edge of the instruction is aligned with the left-hand edge of the time signature if present, otherwise with the left-hand edge of the rhythmic item at the position where the tempo instruction takes effect.

Dorico also automatically aligns dynamics with noteheads, according to the visual centre of the dynamic (which is defined as part of the metadata in SMuFL and will ultimately be editable directly in Dorico, though perhaps not in the first version). There's some discussion of Dorico's approach to dynamic placement in part 12 of my development diary:

http://blog.steinberg.net/2015/12/development-diary-part-12

In the case of both tempo instructions and dynamics, a variety of options is provided for horizontal and vertical positioning, and further per-item control is provided by the Properties panel, with ultimate control being possible by way of simply dragging or nudging the item into the position where you want it to go.

Dorico does not export PDFs in any of the various flavours of PDF/X. It exports PDFs to the version 1.4 specification standard, either in RGB colour or in pure monochrome, as you choose. You should find that you do not need to run the resulting PDFs through any further processing, provided you just want pure monochrome output.

Dorico is not a miracle worker when it comes to MusicXML. Clean, well-formed MusicXML will import well, though we explicitly do not make any attempt to preserve fine graphical positioning data from MusicXML. Aspects like overridden spacing, slur control points, stem lengths, etc. are all ignored even if specified in the MusicXML file. Coarser graphical information like slur placement (i.e. curving up or down), tie direction, stem direction, dynamics placement, articulation placement etc. is imported but can be removed to let Dorico do its own thing.

The philosophy behind this is that none of the existing applications are able to export this information in a consistent fashion, so it's not worth trying to make sense of it; instead, we have devoted enormous development effort into making Dorico's default layout – both at the macro and the micro level – as good as possible, so that the result you get from importing a MusicXML file is more or less the same as if you had typed that music in yourself from scratch in Dorico, and benefit from Dorico's superior automatic default engraving capabilities.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 12:44 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Regarding Playback ...

I last met with Arne Wallander at Musikmesse two years ago, and we discussed whether or not he might be able to produce a version of NotePerformer for Dorico (though of course we didn't refer to it by name at that point). In principle, he said that it would be possible. Once we are a little further down the line with playback functionality, I will be sure to get in touch with Arne again and see whether he has any interest in adapting NotePerformer for Dorico.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 12:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: User assignable key commands?

Yes, I hope so. Dorico loads its shortcuts from a file in JSON format, which is at worst not too difficult to edit in a text editor, but we intend to have a dialog to allow you to customise all of the shortcuts in the program on day one. It's not there today, but we still have a little bit of time...
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 12:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: List of Instruments

You probably won't be able to define instruments or families in the first version, I'm afraid. There's a whole load of user interface to be built there. We are using homegrown web-based tools to manage these kind of datasets, and although it's in our plans to build user interface to edit these things in the long term, it's not a high priority for the first version, since we plan to have a pretty comprehensive set of instruments, as logically grouped into families as we can make them, in the program from day one.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 12:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Expression maps and symbols

The plan is that Dorico will build on the foundations of Cubase's VST Expression Maps with a wider range of possible playing techniques. Once we have made some more concrete progress on this point we will be happy to share more details.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 18, 2016 3:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Note input, copy/paste, repeat note

Dorico is designed to make note input comfortable if you only have the basic set of keys on a laptop/notebook keyboard – there's no requirement for an external numeric keypad, or indeed a MIDI keyboard.

The numbers along the top row of the keyboard choose durations (6 = crotchet/quarter, 7 = minim/half note, 5 = quaver/eighth note, etc.), while 0 is natural, - is flat, and + (actually = on a UK keyboard at least) is sharp. Note names are entered using the letters A to G. Articulations use the four symbolic keys to the left of the Return key, with Shift for the second set of four articulations. You build chords by first hitting Q (for "quord") and then type the letter names of the notes you want to add to the chord, from the bottom up (you can add modifiers to add notes explicitly above or below when you type the note name if need be), then either hit Q if you're finished with chords or hit Space to input a chord at the next position.

Start a new voice by typing Shift+V (you can have as many voices as you like on the same stave), and then hit V to cycle between all of the voices you're already using on the stave. Grace notes are entered after hitting /. Rhythm dots are made with the full stop/period key. You don't really need to input rests, so you can instead just hit Space to leave a gap and Dorico will fill the gap in with the appropriate rests. Hit ; to start inputting a tuplet: a pop-over appears in which you type the ratio. Hit : (Shift-;) to stop tuplet input. Hit S to start a slur, and Shift-S to stop it.

You can also hit R to repeat the note to the left of the caret during input, and then repitch it. Repitching notes is done using Alt+up/down arrow (the arrow keys on their own don't edit the music, they only ever navigate, like in a word processor).

One of these days I will perhaps make a little video that demonstrates all of these things. I hope you will find the note input method logical, easy to learn, and most of all both powerful and efficient.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 12:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Note input, copy/paste, repeat note

About note input:
1. Can you use a keypad like in Sibelius?
2. Can you change note values and then "type" pitches with a midi-keyboard? ie, can you use a midi-keybard independant from duration?

Our note input method does not use the external numeric keypad at all. The plan is that you will be able to redefine the default shortcuts, so if you want to map things onto a numeric keypad, you'll be able to do so. Step-time input from a MIDI keyboard is going to be included, though it's not yet working as we have yet to be able to receive MIDI from the audio engine, which is in the process of being integrated at the moment.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 12:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Parts and Arrange Page

Part of Dorico's way of thinking about music includes the notion of "blocks", which I guess are somewhat similar to parts in Cubase, i.e. blocks of content that can be moved, duplicated, and reused. Our end-game for blocks is to allow things like repeated passages of music or ostinato passages to be linked together, so that changes in one place affect all of the other linked places, but there is a good deal of complexity in this area – conceptually simple things like having a tie extend out of the end of a block actually cause a great deal of complication (particularly because, in our music model, a chain of notes tied together is actually stored as a single event, as if it were a MIDI note).

So blocks will be lying dormant under the surface of the first version of Dorico, waiting for us to unlock the functionality that they will provide in the longer term.

As for higher-level arrange-type operations, I would certainly not rule them out. To begin with our conception of the arrange-like display in Play mode is really to allow tweaking of playback of music that you have created in Write mode, but it could absolutely develop in that direction in future versions.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 12:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We have discussed having pre-orders, but I'm not really sure what the point would be. You will be able to just order Dorico from your favourite reseller or download it directly from the Steinberg online shop on the day it is released.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 12:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sub-brackets

Yes, Knut, that's the plan. At the moment Dorico doesn't really know a huge amount about the underlying instruments held by players, so things like bracketing and barline grouping are only provisional at this stage, but this is certainly something that will be built upon before the initial release.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 2:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Film Playback

We certainly hope to be able to take advantage of the excellent support for video in Cubase's engine in Dorico itself, but it won't be something we can squeeze into the first version. There are other more fundamental playback-related features that we need to accomplish first. However, making Dorico a great tool for film, TV and game composers is absolutely one of our core goals for the application.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 12:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: "Octave" clef: G-clef for tenor voices

Yes, absolutely, Dorico supports clefs that show a number above or below them to indicate that the instrument is written one or more octaves higher or lower than it sounds.

Isn't it a peculiar convention? Tenor voices use the octave clef, but neither double basses nor piccolo flutes ever do, and guitars sometimes do, and sometimes don't.

In any case, you can create these clefs at will in Dorico, and you'll get an octave clef by default when you add a tenor voice instrument to a player.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 3:43 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Five questions

Two of these are already implemented: type Shift-C to get the clef pop-over and type "mezzo" or "soprano" and hit Return and you'll get the answer you want. The French violin clef is not yet supported, but it won't be hard to add.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 4:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

By copying and pasting music from one flow to another you should be able to do that, Pete.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 4:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Could you let us know when Chords Symbols will be availa

Richie, if you sign up either to the newsletter for my blog (the box on the right-hand side of any page at http://blog.steinberg.net ), or the Dorico marketing newsletter on the main Dorico product page (about a third of the way down http://www.steinberg.net/dorico ), then you will receive information about the product as it develops, including news of the initial release and subsequent updates that add new features. We will of course be sure to send out information about what is included in each release.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 12:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sure, as I said to Knut, that's the plan. We don't have rich enough instrument definitions right now to make this possible, but once we have our better instrument definitions implemented we will be able to return to the world of staff labelling and bracketing and finish it all off.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 5:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There's an introduction to the key concepts of players, instruments, flows, and layouts in the most recent developer diary installment, which you can read here:

http://blog.steinberg.net/2016/03/development-diary-part-13/
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 5:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Extracting separate parts for multi-voice staff

Please see my slightly intentionally cryptic responses in this other thread for more on this topic:

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=246&t=97321
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 5:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I am anticipating that it will be in the first released version. Because it's not yet done, it's possible that some awful situation might arise that would prevent it from making it in, but we plan for it to be there.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 6:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Questions from an Electronic Musician

1. We will certainly have audio export in Dorico; whether or not we have support for bouncing individual instruments/tracks as separate audio files directly in the first version, I'm not sure at this stage.

2. We plan to make it possible to edit all of the basic note parameters (pitch, of course; duration; onset; velocity) and to also provide channel data like continuous controller data.

3. We will not have any integrated playback of loops or arbitrary audio tracks in the first version, but this is something we may well be able to add in future.

4. Multi-seat licenses for Dorico will follow the same sort of pricing structure as multi-seat licenses for Cubase, for what it's worth.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 12:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: different shapes of Brackets in one Score

Thanks for the clarification. At this point I don't anticipate that you would be able to change the design of the bracket ends on a per-bracket basis, but you would be able to choose whether the bracket has the curly "wings", or joins the systemic barline by way of a straight line, or doesn't join the systemic barline at all, which are in my experience the most commonly-used variations for the bracket.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 11:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Players - partial two staves

Dorico is designed to make these kinds of flexible requirements easy to handle. We will not have every aspect of this covered in our initial release, but we have big plans. The end-game for the whole notion of players holding instruments and independent layouts that combine them in interesting ways will become fully apparent over time, but not in the very first version.

For more equally cryptic information on this topic, please see:

by Daniel at Steinberg
Fri May 20, 2016 9:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Slurs/Ties - Flattening and Dashing

Yes, you can specify that a slur should be drawn with a flat curvature, yes, you can make slurs dashed (and even half-dashed, i.e. solid at the left-hand side and dashed at the right-hand side, or vice versa), you can add vertical editorial strokes to slurs, and the dashes look much prettier than those slightly wonky-looking SCORE ones (no offence intended).

You can also have dashed and half-dashed ties, as well. A partial dashed tie is perhaps not possible at the moment, unfortunately.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Fri May 20, 2016 9:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We don't have a dedicated footnotes feature just yet, Rob. But you're otherwise pretty close: you would create a new flow to contain the music that should appear in the footnote, and then in Engrave mode adjust the positions and sizes of the frames on the page such that there is room at the bottom of the page for a new music frame, to which you allocate your new flow. If you require the stave size in the new frame to be smaller than the default global space size (i.e. four times this gives you the stave height), you have two ways of doing it: you can either specify the new stave size as a percentage of the global space size in the main music frame, or you can set a new global space size for the new frame (by creating a system break at the start of the flow, which is the point at which you can specify a change of space size; if you create a system break at the very start of a flow, of course you don't get an empty system before the first note).

These frames are relative to a specific page in the layout, so the footnote won't move from page to page in the event that you change the layout of the music in the main music frame. We have designed to make the layout as stable as possible, which means that music can flow freely within frames (until you lock it down by way of explicit formatting), but the frames themselves are locked to pages. I will write more about the page layout features of Dorico in a future blog post.

There's no direct association between flows, except that they may use the same players/instruments, and they live together in the same project.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Fri May 20, 2016 9:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: different shapes of Brackets in one Score

Yes, the bracket ends are drawn from the music font.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Fri May 20, 2016 8:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Virtual Drumline

Although Virtual Drumline, to my knowledge, uses Kontakt Player, which is a VST 2.x plug-in rather than a VST 3 plug-in, you should be able to load this in Dorico as I expect Kontakt and Kontakt Player will be on our whitelist for well-behaved VST 2.x plug-ins.

As for the level of support in the initial release for being able to write directly for all of the drumline instruments on a single stave and have VDL play all of the appropriate playing techniques completely automatically... I'm afraid it's too early to say at this point.

Obviously in the fullness of time we do want to make it easy for band and drum corps arrangers to write for their ensembles in Dorico, but there is a lot of complexity both in drumline notation and playback, so it will very likely be something that improves incrementally as the application matures.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Fri May 20, 2016 9:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Photoscore Ultimate 8

There won't be any specific integration with PhotoScore Ultimate, and Dorico won't be able to open PhotoScore's native .opt file format directly, but you can export MusicXML files from PhotoScore and open them in Dorico.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Fri May 20, 2016 9:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The whole point is that you're not adding staves, but rather you're defining the relationships between the human players (musicians) and their instruments, which then gives rise to the appropriate staves in a more dynamic fashion.

We're consciously trying to move away from the simplistic approach of existing scoring software, where the top-level concept is the stave, which contains bars, which contains notes. The fact that existing software doesn't truly understand what music belonging to which musician is actually found on a given stave is one of the most fundamental limitations in their model of a musical work. Dorico unpicks all of that – and the concepts of players and instruments as distinct from staves is a crucial aspect of it.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 18, 2016 12:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rhythmical Spelling Adjustment

Right now it's difficult to override the rhythmic spelling adjustment, as there's not any proper user interface for it yet. We're considering a few things. Firstly, we're considering having a mode to explicitly create only the note value that you specify from the notes panel, even if that doesn't make sense according to the meter; this would of course be switched off by default. Secondly, because you can't e.g. select any of the notes in a tie chain independently in Write mode, we anticipate that some of this joining/splitting of notes into longer or shorter tied durations will be done in Engrave mode, where you can select the individual notes that make up a longer duration. However, the notes panel itself doesn't appear in Engrave mode, because of course you cannot change the meaning of the music in Engrave mode, only its appearance.

For something like "America", you would set up an alternating time signature of 3/4 (6/8) and then the program would automatically handle the beam and beat grouping in alternate bars, and you'd only need to adjust the grouping if the pattern wasn't actually strictly alternating; in that case you could use an interchangeable time signature instead, which is where you specify a bunch of different time signatures up-front and then each subsequent bar can have any of those meters (for some reason, composers choose not to explicitly indicate this, so the time signature changes are not shown), and when you want to leave the interchangeable range, you simply create a time signature outside of the set you specified at the start of the range, and things go back to normal. To input the bars in the middle, you specify the time signature at the start of each bar, and provided it's one of the interchangeable ones, Dorico won't draw it.

For 13/16, for example, you can actually type e.g. 3+2+2+3+3/16 when you create the time signature to specify what the grouping should be, then open the Properties panel and specify that the time signature numerator should be shown as a single total rather than all of the additive numbers.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Fri May 20, 2016 11:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You might be able to picture that now, but why not wait until you see what the program actually does before asking for it to do something differently?
by Daniel at Steinberg
Sat May 21, 2016 12:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Stem lengths and beam angles

Dorico calculates beam slopes according to the difference in stem lengths, so all of the various engraving options that determine the slope are specified in terms of the difference in vertical position between the tips of the first and last notes in the beamed group.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Sat May 21, 2016 10:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Drawing CC-curves

The intention is that you will indeed be able to draw controller curves in the automation lanes for each instrument in Play mode, yes.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 18, 2016 9:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We will be sure to publish clear and unambiguous terms and conditions either shortly before or immediately at the time of Dorico's availability.

I expect that any version of Sibelius between 1.0 and 8.x, and any version of Finale between 1.0 and 2014.5 (or whatever the current version is by the time Dorico is released), will qualify. You don't need to be using the latest version of Sibelius or Finale. You can hold either a professional or an academic license. However, the cut-down versions (Finale Notepad, Finale PrintMusic, Finale Songwriter, Finale Allegro, etc., and Sibelius Student, Sibelius First, G7, etc.) will not qualify.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Sat May 21, 2016 6:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Dorico in the news: reviews, interviews, articles, podcasts

I thought it might be useful to collect together a few of the interviews I've given concerning Dorico, since there may be some tidbits of information in these pieces that could be of interest to the people here. I'll list them in reverse chronological order, add a new post to this thread when a new link is added, and update the thread title with the date of the most recent revision as well.

School Band & Orchestra Magazine: DORICO - Steinberg’s Next Generation Notation Program (20 March 2017)
http://sbomagazine.com/technology/5732-dorico-steinberg-s-next-generation-notation-program.html

Communities Digital News: Dorico Notation Software: Was it worth the wait? (4 March 2017)
http://www.commdiginews.com/entertainment/dorico-notation-software-v-1-2-was-it-worth-the-wait-84876/

Kevin Clark: First Dorico Project and an Orchestra Performance (1 February 2017)
http://kevinclarkcomposer.com/2017/02/first-dorico-project-and-an-orchestra-performance/

Sound on Sound Magazine Steinberg Dorico Preview (20 January 2017)
http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/steinberg-dorico-preview

Dorico and Cubase Pro 9 at the Society of Composers and Lyricists (17 January 2017)
https://youtu.be/gaP1K9V52Kg?t=20m31s

Composition Today: Dorico Diary 2 – The good, the bad, and the unnotatable (10 January 2017)
http://www.compositiontoday.com/blog/402.asp

Dr. Dave on Music: Dorico 1.0.10 Review (10 December 2016)
https://drdavewalkerblog.wordpress.com/2016/12/10/dorico-1-0-10-review/

Clarineat podcast: #40 Daniel Spreadbury on Steinberg's new scoring software Dorico (7 November 2016)
http://clarineat.com/episode-40-daniel-spreadbury-steinbergs-new-scoring-software-dorico

Composition Today: Dorico Diary 1 – First Thoughts (5 November 2016)
http://www.compositiontoday.com/blog/382.asp

Sibelius Blog: Dorico is here: a review (19 October 2016)
http://www.sibeliusblog.com/news/dorico-is-here-a-review/

NewMusicBox: Some Thoughts About Dorico, The Morning After (19 October 2016)
http://www.newmusicbox.org/articles/some-thoughts-about-dorico-the-morning-after/

Chamberlain Music Blog: Dorico – Where Great Things Begin (19 October 2016)
http://www.chamberlainmusic.com/blog/post/dorico-where-great-things-begin

Sonic State Dorico preview (27 September 2016)
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2016/09/27/preview-steinberg-dorico-with-daniel-spreadbury/

Behind-the-scenes Meet The Team video (2 August 2016)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ_Q56GqC54

Community Digital News (22 July 2016)
http://www.commdiginews.com/entertainment/daniel-spreadbury-discusses-new-dorico-music-notation-software-68188/
http://www.commdiginews.com/entertainment/more-news-on-soon-to-be-released-dorico-music-notation-software-68190/

Interview with the Dorico team (17 July 2016)
http://www.steinberg.net/en/community/stories/2016/dorico_story.html

Composer On Fire podcast, episode 77 (30 June 2016)
http://composeronfire.com/ep-77-daniel-spreadbury-on-dorico-the-future-of-notation-software/

SoundNotion podcast, episode 234 (21 May 2016)
http://www.soundnotion.tv/2016/05/soundnotion-234/

NewMusicBox: Interview with Daniel Spreadbury of Dorico (20 May 2016)
http://www.newmusicbox.org/articles/interview-with-daniel-spreadbury-of-dorico/

gearnews.com: Steinberg's Dorico: scoring a hit? (18 May 2016)
http://www.gearnews.com/steinberg-announce-dorico-scoring-software/

Create Digital Music: This is the next-gen notation tool from original Sibelius team (17 May 2016)
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2016/05/this-is-the-next-gen-notation-tool-from-original-sibelius-team/

Sibelius blog: Steinberg announces Dorico; availability in Q4 2016 (17 May 2016)
http://www.sibeliusblog.com/news/steinberg-announces-dorico-availability-in-q4-2016/

Music Teacher magazine, May 2016 (21 April 2016)
http://www.rhinegold.co.uk/music_teacher/applied-theory/

MyMac.com Dorico Review (3 February 2017)
http://www.mymac.com/2017/02/dorico-review/
by Daniel at Steinberg
Sat May 21, 2016 9:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Spellings/Enharmonics

Perhaps Dorico will actually be able to help you in this area, jamieboo.

An academic researcher by the name of David Meredith developed an algorithm called PS13 that calculates the most appropriate pitch spellings for tonal music, even without reference to a key signature, and that algorithm (with a few modifications, dare we say improvements) has been implemented into Dorico's engine, though it is not yet exposed in the user interface of the software.

A possible workflow for you would be for you to compose and orchestrate your music as you normally do, then run the PS13 algorithm over the music, which would result in the enharmonic spellings of the notes being adjusted where necessary to follow the traditional conventions for such things.

However, in order to verify that Dorico is doing something sensible and to limit possible embarrassment when giving your music to musicians, it's worth spending a bit of time getting your head around the conventions of pitch spelling. It's always best not to have to rely completely on the computer to save your blushes, as the people who write the software are human and therefore fallible too!
by Daniel at Steinberg
Tue May 17, 2016 10:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Exporting graphics

Dorico won't have copy and paste graphics export in the first version, I'm afraid. Graphics export will be limited to one or more whole pages of one or more layouts, which you can export either singly or in batches using the Print mode interface. This does mean that if you need only a small passage of music from within a page you'll need to either export the page and then trim it in an external graphics application before you import it wherever it's to be used, or you could use Dorico's page layout tools to create a layout that uses a suitably small page size and shows only the bars you want to export, effectively cropping the music in Dorico before you export it.

I certainly agree that being able to copy and paste chunks of music from the score into other applications is a useful feature and it's something that I'm sure we will add in a future version.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Sun May 22, 2016 6:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes, absolutely. If the instruments held by the player are playing at the same time, then they will each get their own stave; otherwise, Dorico will automatically create the necessary transition on a single stave between the passages of music played by each instrument.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 19, 2016 7:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes, if there is music written for both instruments at the same time, then you'll see two staves.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Sun May 22, 2016 8:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes, you can specify whether or not the final system of an individual flow (which would be a natural way of separating each of your short examples) should be justified or not, i.e. should be stretched out to reach the right-hand margin of the frame. So if you have a short example that is less than one system in length, you can choose to have it unjustified, which will use only its pure rhythmic space.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Sun May 22, 2016 8:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Complex keyboard notation

Dorico can certainly handle more than two staves for complex keyboard music. At the moment we're missing a bit of user interface to allow you to specify the point at which you want additional staves to appear or disappear, but if you import e.g. a MusicXML file that specifies music on three (or more) staves, Dorico can handle it.

Dorico also has pretty good support for notes moving between staves. Voices can move freely between staves, and individual notes in chords belonging to the same voice can be crossed to any other staff (even a staff that doesn't belong to the same instrument). You won't see any of the weirdness that you see in Sibelius with cross-stave notes (e.g. showing inappropriate accidentals etc.) because the notes that are crossed to another stave are fully handled by all of the various little engines that process the music as if they really are on that stave. This means that Dorico even handles terribly complicated cases where you have multiple voices active on multiple staves and notes with stems joining other staves interlocking without splatting them all on top of each other – the same sophisticated rules that are used to automatically determine how to lay out notes in different voices are applied even when stems spanning staves are in play.

Slurs can be attached to notes in different voices at either end, and can also start on one stave and end on another. Dorico is unable to perform comprehensive collision avoidance for slurs that cross staves in the same way that it does for slurs that start and end on the same stave (both as a consequence of it not being clear, in general, where along the length of a slur crossing staves one would want to consider collisions with items on one stave and where one would want to consider collisions with the other, and because of the circular nature of needing to determine the distance between staves both taking the slur into account and *not* taking the slur into account when trying to move it to resolve collisions). So a cross-staff slur will have its end points positioned as sensibly as possible, but the user should expect to have to adjust the shape of the slur to make it as pleasing as possible.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Mon May 23, 2016 12:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes, Mats, that's basically it. You simply assign, say, flute and piccolo to the same player, and you'll see two staves in galley view (scroll view, if you prefer) and in system view (which shows each system one after the other, laid out left to right, effectively with a variable page height depending on the number of staves shown in each system, including in the case of doublings, both of the individual instruments belonging to the player as separate staves). You input the music as if the instruments are held by completely separate players, and when you switch to page view, Dorico will automatically create appropriate transitions between the two instruments on a single stave.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Sun May 22, 2016 6:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Beta Test?

Thanks for your interest in beta testing Dorico. I'm sure you will appreciate that we have had many, many hundreds of people request to join our beta testing team, and we will not be able to accommodate everybody who has expressed an interest.

We will publish information about how to apply to get involved in the beta testing programme on the Making Notes blog when the time comes, but it may well be that we end up with some kind of a lottery system to select testers, as I expect we will be overwhelmed with applications at that time.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Sun May 22, 2016 8:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Who's on the Team?

To expand on Paul's answer...

Ed is the manager of the whole of Steinberg's support team, and he's based in Hamburg. We are planning to have one or two dedicated Dorico support people based in Hamburg with Ed and the rest of his team covering English- and German-language support.

We have seven developers working on Dorico: Paul, James, Graham, Michael, and Andrew all previously worked on Sibelius for many years; András and Stefan joined us about two years ago (and Stefan is the husband of somebody who also used to work with us back in the Sibelius days).

We have three software testers, though that rather pedestrian title belies the true impact they really have on our project, which is profound in many dimensions: Richard (who leads the team), Toshi, and Akiko.

There are four of us who have the word "manager" in our titles along with various other combinations of words: there's me, there's Ben, who heads up the team and in addition to taking care of all logistical issues also writes internal tools to help us work smarter (he's been invaluable in developing SMuFL and our ongoing work on instrument data), there's Anthony (who is responsible for the beautiful look of Dorico), and there's Bill, who is our agile team leader (runs the development process) and is also doing some development work on Dorico.

So there are fourteen of us here in London, and of course we all rely on the support and expertise of all of our colleagues in Hamburg.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Mon May 23, 2016 9:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Multi-Screens

You can have multiple windows onto the same project open, and each one can be showing different layouts and be in a different mode, so you can indeed be looking at both Write mode and Play mode in the same project at the same time.

The panels that are arranged around the edges of the project window cannot be detached, but of course they can be opened and closed easily at any time.

Dorico remembers the state of all of the windows belonging to the project when the project is later re-opened, including which panels are open and closed, which mode each window is in, which layouts you're looking at, and so on, so you can pick up right where you left off.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Mon May 23, 2016 9:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Multi-Screens

If you want the same window to span multiple monitors, yes, I think you will need to drag it out across all of the screens; if you maximise a window in Dorico, it will only fully occupy a single display.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Mon May 23, 2016 10:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Assignment of VST Instruments

It's hard to give a chapter and verse answer on this, since all of the playback functionality is very much in its infancy at the moment.

Allow me to introduce the term "endpoint", which may well not end up as a user-facing term in the application, but which is nevertheless for us an important concept. An endpoint is a combination of virtual instrument (device), channel, patch (if known), and any required switch information (e.g. a particular key switch or a specific MIDI controller set within a particular range, etc.), that produces a playing technique for an instrumental sound.

If you're using the supplied HALion Sonic SE 2 player and its own factory content or HALion Symphonic Orchestra (HSO), then the assignment of instruments to endpoints is automatic: Dorico examines the instruments held by the players, and knows which playing techniques are provided by the HSO instruments, so it can instantiate as many instances of HALion as it needs and load the appropriate HSO patches automatically.

If, however, you're using any other virtual instrument, then this allocation of instruments to endpoints has to be done manually. You might, for example, load up Vienna Ensemble Pro and load it up with 16 channels of patches. Dorico can't see inside VE Pro, so it doesn't know what patches you've loaded there (beyond their names), and nor does it know anything about the switches those patches may use to access different playing techniques.

If a suitable expression map is available, then you'll be able to link that somehow to the instrument's assignment, so that Dorico knows about the capabilities of that endpoint, and will then be able to perform the necessary switches to access the available playing techniques more or less auomatically.

If no expression map is available, then it'll be up to you to define the capabilities of the endpoints yourself. You will be able to specify what device, channel, patch, and combination of switch mechanisms should be used when a given instrument plays a particular playing technique.

The hope is that it will then be possible to save this information – i.e. the specific set of virtual instruments loaded into the rack, together with the information about which instruments and playing techniques are accommodated by each endpoint within those instruments – in such a way that it can be applied to other projects, as a kind of playback template.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Tue May 24, 2016 12:23 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Questions about editing/auditioning piano chords/chord n

We definitely believe in providing options where they make sense, but please bear in mind that no option is free to implement. Everything takes time, both to develop and to test. So if we don't have every possible combination of options to please every possible customer at the time of the initial release I hope you will remember that.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Tue May 24, 2016 9:04 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Well, of course, Alex, you can more or less do that right away anyway. Create a new layout with a custom page size and zero margins with a music frame the size of the page, and assign in the flow that you want to see on that page, then you can use the existing Print mode interface to export that layout as PDF or PNG or whatever.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Tue May 24, 2016 8:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Midi files and also Performance settings

At the moment, Dorico doesn't show any MIDI import settings. It's using an adaptive, probabilistic quantisation algorithm that has been developed by Paul. I'm sure he will eventually pop along and provide a bit more information about it.

I know that your particular interest is in music that is similar in nature to the New Complexity works by composers like Ferneyhough and Finnissy, among others, and that kind of music is pretty much a torture test for any quantisation approach you might try. For your kind of music, at the moment I have no idea whether or not you will be better off quantizing the MIDI before you import it.

We likewise don't have any MIDI export options at the moment. I suspect that things like tick resolution will end up being determined by the requirements of the audio engine and how our playback model maps onto the data that needs to be streamed to the engine for playback.

Dorico won't initially have much in the way of playback humanisation features. It will try to perform switches of playing technique automatically according to the available endpoints (as determined by expression maps, one way or another), and it will also handle playback of dynamics and tempo changes, but things like changing the dynamics or timings of notes on a micro level to simulate subtleties of phrasing etc. will not be included initially.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 25, 2016 12:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Extracting Parts

The whole idea behind Dorico's way of thinking about music is that your score would *not* need to have separate staves for when the flute music can be shown on a single stave, or indeed when the flute player puts down her flute and picks up her piccolo. You can read more (intentionally slightly cryptic) information about that here:

by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 25, 2016 2:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fast Copy/Paste?

We certainly hope to have something like Sibelius's Alt+click method to paste a copy of the selected item(s), yes, though it's not yet in place.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 25, 2016 2:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Strategies

At the moment, Dorico does not include any special casting-off behaviour for the ends of right-hand pages, e.g. to try to ensure that there is a rest suitable for a page turn at that point. We will probably add such things as options in future versions, but I don't expect this to be in place before version 1.0.

You will, of course, be able to choose to end a system or a page anywhere you like – in the middle of a bar, if necessary, including in the middle of a beamed group, or even in the middle of a (nested) tuplet, if you really have to (though please do try to find another solution that won't give your players the heebie-jeebies).

Dorico is capable of producing much tighter spacing without collisions than any of the other GUI-based scoring programs, because of the fundamentally smarter approach it takes to spacing. You can read about this in several of my development diary entries, including this one:

http://blog.steinberg.net/2014/12/development-diary-part-nine/

Of course there are plenty of parameters you can tweak to control default rhythmic (horizontal) spacing, and ideal vertical spacing, and you will be able to adjust both of these also on a case-by-case basis in Engrave mode as needed.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 25, 2016 12:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Midi files and also Performance settings

Well, it will be easily deactivated in the first version, since it won't exist...
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 25, 2016 11:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If Dorico keeps everything in one file, will I still be able to get the best of both worlds?

Yes, you'll be able to freely adjust the rhythmic spacing in each layout independently of the other, so this would be no problem. I find it interesting that you find the mathematically correct spacing of tuplets produced by computers preferable to the irregular spacing characteristic of hand engraving; my impression is that the latter was produced out of pragmatism rather than aesthetics. For complex tuplet ratios it is easier to add on a fixed notehead width rather than to produce correct interpolated spacing, particularly when working with spacers of a fixed aperture.

You will certainly have to adjust the spacing by hand if you want to reproduce that kind of irregular tuplet spacing. I thought even SCORE produced mathematically correct interpolated spacing in such situations, so perhaps you have been used to making these kinds of adjustments for many years!

Let's take the given example of 2 Flute players - this time male ;)

Both need their own part - so there will be a flute 1 and a flute 2 as parts.

In the score both instrumentalists are combined in one staff as flute 1/2 - in fact 2 players share one staff in the score.

You would have two players, each holding his own flute. You would input the music for these two flutes on separate staves, which would produce separate parts. Each flute's playback can be directed to separate endpoints (e.g. separate channels on the same device, or different devices, or whatever). I'm not able to talk about the production of a single stave in the score containing the music for both flutes just at the moment.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 25, 2016 11:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Dvorak keyboards

Looking into the issue of not responding to changes in input source correctly, it appears this is a bug in Qt that should hopefully be fixed in Qt 5.7. (We are currently building Dorico against Qt 5.5.1, but plan to keep up-to-date with Qt as far as possible until it becomes too risky to keep updating the framework without being sure the framework itself doesn't introduce any new bugs.) See for example:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-50865

Once Qt 5.7 is available and we are building against it, I will try to remember to check this again.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 25, 2016 9:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Music fonts and UI behavior

The icons shown in the note input panel don't reflect the music font currently in use; they are taken from a completely different font, and you can always input a maxima, even if you end up with a weird symbol, i.e. the program doesn't disallow you from writing a note value that ends up with a peculiar symbol because of the capabilities of a specific font.

As yet, the substitution of things like stylistic alternates is handled manually rather than through any direct support for OpenType features, so there are separate composites for oversized and non-oversized noteheads, for example. We hope to be able to expand on this in future, but since there is very little direct support for advanced OpenType features in the Qt application framework, a lot of this will need to be written by us directly, and all of that takes time.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 26, 2016 10:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Video Demo?

I didn't know that this video would find its way to YouTube. No better recording exists of my presentation than the one that Peter took on his camcorder.

I have already suggested to my colleagues in Hamburg that we might do some kind of a live-streamed presentation about Dorico in the relatively near future, and there is support in principle for the idea, so it will probably happen at some point, likely e.g. on the new Facebook Live service.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 26, 2016 9:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Strategies

The actual spacing algorithm employed by Dorico is a straightforward rule to determine ideal rhythmic space used by traditional engravers, but the mechanics of how it determines when to deviate from that ideal space certainly has some conceptual similarity to the Knuth-Plass algorithms used in TeX. Spacing music is a much more difficult problem than spacing letters and words in lines and paragraphs, however, because it is multi-dimensional.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 25, 2016 11:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yes, we sometimes look at The Rite of Spring and cry.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 26, 2016 2:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Turkish makams - contemporary music

Dorico should be reasonably useful for makam music, though perhaps not as ideally specialised as a dedicated tool like Mus2. However, you can certainly create a tuning system with 53 equal divisions of the octave and set up the necessary accidentals used in Turkish music, and then set up a custom key signature for the desired mode. We're missing a bit of user interface in this area right now, but we hope it will be in place in time for the initial public release.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Wed May 25, 2016 11:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Spacing Proportions and Ratio

No, at the moment, that ratio is not editable.

You really only have three numbers to tweak, the way things are set up at present: the ideal rhythmic space (in spaces) for a quarter note (crotchet), the minimum amount of space for short notes that would otherwise end up colliding, and the percentage amount by which these values can be scaled for grace notes. The ideal rhythmic spacing is calculated as the space allocated for a crotchet, multiplied by the square root of the duration of the note to be spaced.

It would of course be possible, in the fullness of time, to allow that ratio to be changed, but it's unlikely that we'll do that before the initial release. Hopefully you will find Dorico's default rhythmic spacing very pleasing as it stands, and the small number of parameters for tweaking it useful.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 26, 2016 5:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Spacing Proportions and Ratio

No, you're right, of course. The ratio would not change, so if you forced the same number of bars onto a system, the spacing would look the same.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 26, 2016 11:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: explode music function?

We don't have an explode feature yet, but this is certainly in the plans to help make this kind of writing easier and more efficient.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Thu May 26, 2016 9:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: user defined articulation

I hope that you will be able to add parentheses or brackets to the existing articulations at some point, though probably not in the very first version. You add parentheses to dynamics and tempo markings, for example, using the Properties panel, so this is also the plan for articulations, and indeed other things like noteheads.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Fri May 27, 2016 11:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Time signatures

How about big time signatures? (placed above or on groups, rather than on individual staves)

These are not yet implemented, but they are of course in the plans.

And I'm assuming, then, that it will be possible to have different time signatures/bar lengths for different players, where bar lines do not coincide.

Not in the first version, no, but this is likewise planned.
by Daniel at Steinberg
Fri May 27, 2016 11:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic