Search found 37 matches

Return

Re: Insert routing matrix

Have you tried Voxengo's MSED? It's free. It's been a while since I used it, but I think you should check it out if you haven't already.
by ColinPark
Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Insert routing matrix

estrica2000 wrote:this thread remembered my self to learn about what m/s is! I don't know what can be done with it .

http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/ms-mastery
by raino
Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fact: using Retrologue 2 to show how to do synthesis wor

I have often friends in my home studio who want to do music at home themselves.

While Cubase is a "household name" here, Retrologue 2 is often a source of fascination because it is SO easy to work with - which is astonishing to me as well, when I open it.

So what I do now when I get asked how to create personal sounds this is has become my "go to" synthesizer.

Everytime again, it's always the Retrologue 2.

There is a lot to learn from a synthesizer like this for other areas in software development (I'm a developer myself).

Hi,

I've just upgraded to Cubase Pro 9 from Pro 8 and of all the good new features I think I'm most enjoying working with Retrologue 2. Let's talk about it and share ideas about how to use it. I'm not so much interested in trading actual patches, but rather, we should talk about interesting modulation matrix patterns, effects chains, arpeggio patterns and useage and anything else along those lines.

I find I like to start with the default, initialized instance and then begin to build sounds and patterns. I found the operation manual to be good and not confusing, However, there should be more examples of Matrix set-ups and there are a few little errors and it's thin on information on a few items. I suppose we could say that the excellent libraries are the examples, and the manual does give important suggestions about how to apply things like panning, volume, shape, and so on. I'd say the Manual is a good Quick Start and clearly organized.

I don't know if I'm just getting better at working with Synths or if it is that Retrologue is just very well done. I think it's both, but the instrument is very well designed. A similar Synth I have is called Hybrid from Air Music. It's a great instrument, but highly complex and was a daunting learn. Retro2's drag and drop assignments to the Matrix method is an efficient, fast way of creating sounds -- from wild FX to very colorful and appealing synth tones -- leads, pads, comps, basses, plucked and strummed, and so on -- retrologue 2 does it all.

Retrologue's arpeggio player puts the instrument into a whole new category, it does a lot. It's great to have access to what can be done with flexphraser technology since the arpeggio output can be recorded! :!: and then edited in MIDI tracks.

In general, I think Steinberg and all the companies, not just them, tend to over sell and over hype a bit about their products, but, in this case, I think Steinberg should trumpet Retrologue 2. They really got it right and it's a pleasure to work with.

So, good post and good luck making interesting music with the instrument. I'm still just learning the instrument and have some questions, but I'll post on those separately. Take care.

Stephen
by Stephen57
Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Multimode for instrument tracks

1. Layering of sounds

Example: I create a nice pad patch in Retrologue 2 and then add a piano (don't laugh, I KNOW that this is cheesy 80s stuff :lol: ) - and it would be great to have that stacked on top of each other

You can use MIDI SENDS (up to 4) from the track inspector to send midi to other instrument or midi tracks. Put all the tracks in a common folder and use them with VCA or Group bus.

2. Drum kits out of x synths

I use that as well - I create a kick here, a snare there and then some toms (I don't know how to create nice sounding cymbals and hi hats yet with analogue synthesis, but I'll surely find out one day) - and I'd like to have the pattern in one track

You can do that using Drum editor, where you can select different tracks to which a given note will transmit MIDI.
"Output" column, as shown below. You can even choose a note and a channel number on the output track.
by zyguli
Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Multimode for instrument tracks

Unless I'm misunderstanding your request, you can do this now.

1. Set the each different VSTi's to a unique channel number.
2. Enter the notes you want each VSTi to play making sure it's on the correct channel.
3. In the Track's Inspector set the channel to ANY.

Step 2 is the tricky part depending on how you enter notes. If playing from a keyboard, set its output channel as needed. If your keyboard can't change channels the Input Transformer can. If hand entering in Key Editor you can change the channel in the Inspector and whatever it is set to will be the channel used to draw in new notes. Or you can just select a bunch of notes and give them a new number on the Info Line. Also you'll probably want to set the colors in the editor so they are based on channel number & not the default velocity.
by raino
Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Latency checker for Windows 10

Yes, I really liked TheSycon's DPC latency checker. I still use it on Windows 10, on the (quite possibly mistaken) assumption that although it's overall reported latency may be wrong, it still usefully shows up any peaks that are taking place.

Steve.
by plectrumboy
Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Halion 6 - looks like a game changer

Is there anywhere to read up on Halion 6 script?
It all looks really promising, but I would like to understand better how it works and how it compares to Kontakt...
by jorisdeman
Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

HALion 6 and HALion Sonic 3

Hi all,

Today we proudly announce the next generations of our VST instrument flagship HALion and its workstation counterpart, HALion Sonic. In only two weeks Steinberg will release HALion 6, HALion Sonic 3 and Absolute 3 with the former two now included in the collection.

Let me give you a brief overview what you will find in HALion 6 and what else has changed in the HALion universe.

The sound and instrument design opportunities in HALion have been vastly extended. You can now easily create and design your own Macro Pages directly in HALion via drag and drop. HALion Script gives you the chance to dive deeper into HALion than ever before. The Library Creator is the new tool to create your own monolithic VST Sound archives with samples, presets, Macro Pages and library icons. The instruments and VST Sound archives that you create in HALion can now also be loaded in HALion Sonic and HALion Sonic SE. Plus, HALion Sonic SE will be available free of charge on the Steinberg website as a stand-alone version and plug-in for VST, AU and AAX. The full process of creating instrument libraries is now covered in HALion.

Another highlight is the new wavetable zone in HALion. If you now think “nah, not another wavetable…”, don’t be too quick to judge. The HALion approach is absolutely unique, ultra-fast and very musical. When importing a new sample in the wavetable zone, markers are instantly set and an envelope is automatically created that blends through the different waves without any artifacts. Spectral analysis, pitch detection, spectrum editing, a dedicated noise oscillator, formant shifting — this wavetable is fully equipped and ready for action.

HALion can now record samples. We have been discussing this feature a lot. Since sampling in Cubase and then importing the wave in HALion has always been a reliable workaround, sampling never made it to the top of our priority list. However, when we finally gave it a try, discussed the concept and played around with the first working sketches, we realized how much fun this is and how much potential this has. The Sample Recorder lets you record single samples or the full key range with one workflow. You can record external sources, other VST instruments and even HALion itself. Automatic mapping, fill gaps, auto trim — it’s so much fun and makes creating your own samples or just experimenting with sounds so easy.

Of course our sound design team has also put a lot of effort in the content development in order to improve the existing HALion library. We carefully analyzed the existing library and collected a lot of user feedback to fill gaps and add new sounds that are most needed. The 25 GB of new content now includes a mix of acoustic instruments perfect for contemporary music productions, experimental sounds for cinematic and avant-garde projects and lots of presets for the new wavetable synthesis for electronic music productions. You can listen to all the new instruments and also catch a first glimpse at the new features at http://www.steinberg.net/halion

The HALion documentation will be made available on the day of release at http://www.steinberg.help . You will also find a link there to an additional documentation platform for the HALion Script, the Macro Page Designer and the Library Creator with detailed descriptions of the parameters and functionalities and lots of examples.

You may also have noticed that the forum structure has slightly changed. HALion and HALion Sonic can now be found under the same roof. There will be new sub-forums for feature requests, pre-sales questions, issues and a completely new forum for sound design topics regarding HALion Script and the Macro Page Designer. You will also find a sub-forum for user content, offering a place to discuss your own instruments, libraries and designs. It is currently not possible to upload your user content to a specific community platform, but there already are some ideas for the future. For now you have to link to your private cloud drive to provide your content.

Last, but still worth mentioning: HALion and HALion Sonic no longer require the USB-eLicenser. If you already have an USB-eLicenser with a HALion license you can, of course, keep your license management on the USB.
by Matthias Quellmann
Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A few questions regarding features for sound design

Can we (please) have a place on the forums where we can share our own libraries freely?

Your last question has been answered by Matthias Quellmann in his announcement in the HALion 6 forum:
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=262&t=110992

You will also find a sub-forum for user content, offering a place to discuss your own instruments, libraries and designs. It is currently not possible to upload your user content to a specific community platform, but there already are some ideas for the future. For now you have to link to your private cloud drive to provide your content.
by valsolim
Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Halion 6 - looks like a game changer

It looks very promising indeed, the only feature missing is pre-order and 2 weeks early access :mrgreen:
by Hurmpie
Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A few questions regarding features for sound design

I thought I collect those here... otherwise I would annoy the moderators with multiple threads.

My questions are...

Is there possibly pitch detection in the sample recorder?
Does the sample recorder find loops?
The language example on this website looks as if we get the opportunity to use lambda expressions in Halion Script, right? (this would be amazing for me... I'm into F# and Haskell...)
On which language is Halion Script based? I can't identify it from looking at it but it looks like an object oriented language with first class functions to me
Can I find out about pressed keys in scripts? Like "lowest key pressed was C and 3 other keys were pressed" would be something I'd like to extract
Can we have multiple pages in the UI designer?
Can we (please :) ) have a place on the forums where we can share our own libraries freely? :mrgreen:

Let's see:

Pitch and loop detection are not part of the new Sample Recorder, but can be found in the Sample Editor.

The HALion Script is based on the LUA script. You will be able to use the scripting for your instrument and even your own custom MIDI modules.

You can create multiple pages for your Macro Pages with page switches and so on. All the macro pages of the new instruments libraries will be open. So you can learn from our real life examples how to work with the MP Designer.

Valsolim already gave the answer to your last question. The HALion team is really looking forward to your designs!
by Matthias Quellmann
Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HALion 64 bit only

Very good and reasonable step, 32bit is dead.
by maggie
Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Demnächst: Halion 6 und Halion Sonic 3

Was eine mögliche künftige Umsetzung in Halion betrifft: Jede Syntheseform, der sich das Halion Team bisher angenommen hat (Grain, Wavetable), wurde nicht "irgendwie simpel", sondern auf hohem technologischen Level und dabei musikalisch erstklassig klingend umgesetzt.

Und das wird auch genau unser Ansatz sein. Wenn FM Synthese in HALion kommt, wird das keine Emulation von bestehenden Technologien und Konzepten sein, sondern die HALion Antwort auf FM Synthese, so wie wir es mit Granular und auch mit dem neuen Wavetable Konzept verfolgen.
by Matthias Quellmann
Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HALion 6 and HALion Sonic 3

Can you create standalone VSTs with Halion 6?

Cheers.

The Library Creator exports a monolithic VST Sound file that contains samples, presets, scripts and the macro page.
These VST Sound archives can then be loaded in (or better registered to) any other HALion 6 system. If you build your macro pages with the right dimensions, you will be also be able to create instrument libraries that can be loaded in HALion Sonic 3 and HALion Sonic SE 3. HALion Sonic SE 3 will be available for download free of charge on the Steinberg website. To answer you questions: You will be able create a HALion library that can be used in HALion 6, HALion Sonic 3 and HALion Sonic SE 3, but since HALion Sonic SE 3 is free, it can be loaded as a plug-in in any VST, AU and AAX host, and there will be a standalone version, it is not really a closed system.
by Matthias Quellmann
Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Virtual audio cable with a VST endpoint?

Dependent on how your audio interface is designed, maybe you could do the routing there. Try routing Caustic (which I know nothing about) to a spare output on your interface. Then loopback that output to an input that Cubase can see. Of course for this to work you'd need additional I/O on the interface & it would need to support loopback.
by raino
Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Virtual audio cable with a VST endpoint?

you can easily run other programs audio via loopback recording and just routing into a input.
by beerbong
Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Out now: HALion 6 and HALion Sonic 3

Hi all,

we are online! Thanks to all of you guys here in the forum for the great feedback and the positive and exciting atmosphere. We are really looking forward to what libraries, instruments, presets and crazy sound design creations you will come up with. It's now in your hand!

Some notes:

1. HALion Sonic SE 3 is not yet available. But we will release the free download version that will able be host your custom HALion libraries in [edited] March.

2. There manual can be found at http://www.steinberg.help in German and English. Japanese and French will follow soon.

3. There is a brand new online documentation available for the Macro Page Editor and the HALion Script at http://developer.steinberg.help

4. We have tested HALion and HALion Sonic only on the last two operating systems of each platform. There are already some discussions about the missing W7 support in this forum. We will make up our mind in the next couple of days and we will then let you know if there will be an additional QA process for W7 or not.

5. There will be a trial. But not before March.

6. There will also be a final maintenance update for HALion 5. The release date will be announced soon.

7. We have added a dedicated knowledge base article regarding the updates from HALion 4 or 5 to HALion 6 and HALion Sonic 1 or 2 to HALion Sonic 3. https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=262&t=112749

[edit] The release of HALion Sonic SE had to be postponed to March due to the Windows 7 quality assurance efforts.

[edit2] HALion Sonic SE and the HALion 6 trial are scheduled for the first week of April.
by Matthias Quellmann
Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Out now: HALion 6 and HALion Sonic 3

For the people who still use W7, get over it.
Its the same thing when W7 comes out and people don't want to leave Win XP.
It's 2017 and not 2009.
by kimbo72
Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HALion6 - but not on WIN7 (64bit)

vespesian wrote:Guess I'm buying something else today.

I recommend Windows 10. :lol:
by jaslan
Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: HALion 64 bit only

Are there still people who's run a 32 bit system?
by kimbo72
Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Out now: HALion 6 and HALion Sonic 3

Can Win7/8 still upgrade for free or have they missed their opportunity?
I have upgraded two laptops (one W7 and one W8). Both went very smoothly, drivers and all. I even replaced the hard drive and did a fresh install from the USB thumb drive "Windows media creation tool" and it was very easy.
Windows 10 is great. I'm not saying... I'm just saying...
by jaslan
Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Video experiments with HALion 6 - sound library coming soon

Here are some first live-on-video- experiments, re-synthesizing/wavetabling some samples, experimenting with the different modes, WT spread, detuning, speed, formant modulation and so forth - for re-synthesis and wavetabling I do think HALion 6 is a game changer, the sound quality and possibility to combine waveforms from different samples in one wavetable just via drag&drop is highly intuitive and will result in an abundance of new, interesting sounds...

Resynthesis - Piano String played with a pencil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mejcpr5EZl8

Resynthesis - Vocal phrase
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMSJH2QMRCQ
by Simon Stockhausen
Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Resynthesis video experiments with HALion 6

SqueekSqueek wrote:Thank you!! :-D

Are you really Simon Stockhausen, btw?

Well there is only one other Simon Stockhausen I know of, that was my granddad an he died in world war 2, so it must be me :)
by Simon Stockhausen
Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: cant assign envelopes in macro designer

Hi SqueekSqueek.

It's good to see that you're into scripting already.

Here are some thoughts you might want to consider:

getZone and getParameter should be placed outside the change callback. Otherwise, they will get called each time you change the filter decay, which produces some overhead.
If someone adds nodes to the envelope, filterEnvPoints[3] might go to the wrong node. To avoid this, you can use the envelope offset like I described in my previous post. Alternatively, you can put the zone into a layer and protect this layer. This way, the user doesn't get access to the zone. How to protect layer is described here: https://developer.steinberg.help/display/HSD/Protecting+Layers

Have fun!
by Matthias Klag
Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Loving H6

Don't chime in very often on the Steinberg boards but I do want to say I am really enjoying H6. Nice job everyone.
by cpechet1
Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Loving H6

It's a great update - a great tool and tight cubase drag and drop integration is always a win.

I can make a track just with it alone
by solidsilver
Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Using Steinberg assets (knobs, etc...)

Hi SqueekSqueek,

yes you are allowed to use all the control templates delivered with HALion 6 on your own macro pages and distribute them with your libraries. This also includes all control templates delivered with the HALion 6 instrument libraries, like Skylab, Anima, etc. All these templates (HALion Basic Controls, Additional Controls + the 6 instruments) are packed into dedicated VST Sound containers which are installed with every HALion, HALion Sonic or HALion Sonic SE. So that really every user of the HALion family products has these libraries. This is important, since Macro Pages that you build, will only reference these templates and their resources.
by Michael Ruf
Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Drum maps...

Hello.

Scripting supports this already. See here:

https://developer.steinberg.help/displa ... Properties

Cheers!
by Matthias Klag
Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Physical Dongle - when it will end?

What I would prefer: "leasing" the licenses to another dongle with automatic return of the licenses after a set amount of hours (can be limited to 24 or 48 in my case, no problem... even 18 would be enough, I usually do party after jam sessions anyway).

However, imagine the following scenario:

Le me goes to jam session, with the dongle, has fun there, suddenly a wild party ensues out of nowhere - and while doing party things I break the dongle.

Now there is a lot, A LOT, of hassle to follow.

Or: I go home by Uber by 05:30 in the morning and lose the dongle while leaving the car, next car behind me (with some idiot teenager hooting behind me while I exit the car, because he thinks he owns the streets... this is how I lost an expensive vaping mod once, btw...).

I do also wish for a sturdier dongle at least though. I have had two come apart and have tape holding them together.
I don't love the dongle either, but it is the method Steinberg has chosen and I agreed to use it as part of my purchase and activation.
Just buy an extra dongle, which you would need in your scenarios anyway, and with Zero Down Time, and a registered dongle, you already have what you are asking for... :D
Take your dongle to the beach. If you lose it, break it or it gets stolen, ZDT let's you download your licenses to another dongle and "invalidates" the lost dongle.
In a sense, you have a backup on the Steinberg server.
by jaslan
Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Clicks and cracks in audio with multicore option off

Hi,

Just to confirm, SqueekSqueeks explanation is totally correct.
by Michael Ruf
Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

FM Synthesis Module

It would be really nice to see an FM synthesis module in Halion. I really miss having FM in there.

Falcon has a 4 op FM module, but since Steiny is partners with Yamaha, perhaps they could create a DX7 clone that reads DX7 patches.

Would be a great source of sound design possibilities crossed with the rest of Halion.
by InLightTone
Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Recording a jam session in a basement longer than wide

Hi, if you only have two SM58s I'd suggest a spaced pair. If you can obtain an M/S stereo mic and M/S encoder (often comes with the mic), then you might use that. Probably a simple spaced pair will be best to start with.

See: In The Studio: Stereo Microphone Techniques http://www.prosoundweb.com/topics/production/stereo_microphone_techniques/

If possible, have friends bring over blankets or quilts and hang them from the walls to reduce the slap-back from the walls. Better, put furniture blankets on the floor and walls if you can obtain them.

Good luck, have fun. ;)
by Stephen57
Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hi, I record my band a lot in whatever the room is that we've got at the time. I don't think you should stress over the sound of the room unless it sounds bad to you while you're playing. Then, as Stephen says, bring in the upholstered furniture and blankets until you're happier with the sound you're hearing while playing. After a few beers!

Another way to use the two SM58's is to put them both front and center in an x-y pattern. Takes care of any phasing issues, and still delivers a decent stereo field. That's how I would do it. If you use the spaced pair, remember the 3-1 rule: mics have to be three times farther apart than either of them is to the sound source, to reduce phasing issues.

If you're going to buy more mics, that will help assuming you're interested in a more studio-like recording. I don't know what sort of interface and inputs you have, but in my case, with guitar, keys, bass, and drums, I use 7 inputs and record 7 tracks - 4 mics on the drums (2 overheads (always equidistant from the center of the snare top), one on snare, one on kick), one mic on the guitar amp, and then I take a direct input from the bass and the keys. My mics are real cheapos, SM57's and two low cost large diaphragm condensers, which I use as overheads. There's lots of bleed from one mic to the others, but that seems to help mush it all together.

Doing it the way I do it requires you to address mixing it all together to produce a stereo file. Which is a completely different topic. If you want to hear any of the stuff I've done as I have described, I have posted recordings on the "made with cubase" forum.

If you have line inputs, you could feed the electronic drums and the keys into your interface, and that takes the room out of the equation for the tracked sound of those (but these sounds will still appear in any other mics you are using). You are then tasked with adding "room" to these using reverb/delay plugins. That's what I do.

But if you're just trying to capture the spirit of the moment, without getting too crazy, I'd say go with the x-y, and SM-58's will do well enough for that.

The best thing about once or twice a month jam sessions is, you have them!!!! How great is that.
by Early21
Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

[quote="Early21"]

Another way to use the two SM58's is to put them both front and center in an x-y pattern. Takes care of any phasing issues, and still delivers a decent stereo field. That's how I would do it. If you use the spaced pair, remember the 3-1 rule: mics have to be three times farther apart than either of them is to the sound source, to reduce phasing issues. /quote]

Seconding this, great idea and good points. XY may be better than spaced pair.

Also, wanted to mention that a garbage can, preferably a clean one ;) , can be filled with some heavy blankets and placed in a corner or elsewhere in the room to act as a bass trap. I've you never tried that, you'll be amazed at what it can actually do in some rooms for a quick fix. Guerrilla recording techniques 101 :-)

Here's some help with "room modes," invaluable: http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/room-modes-101/
by Stephen57
Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SqueekSqueek wrote:................. Treating the room is not possible .................

Nonsense! Why is room treatment not possible?

Do this:

http://nickcrosby.net/Studio/photo-album/
by swamptone
Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic