Can someone upload demo of Halion Symphonic Orchestra Strings ensemble patches?

About a year ago I had a trial version of Halion Symphonic Orchestra, but I didn’t focused enough on the strings patches when I tested it, and now I don’t really remember how they sounds.

I wish Steinberg would have let me another try on Halion Symphonic Orchestra, even for one day. anyway it’s my fault.

The strings ensemble patches with its various articulations is the most important for me right now in order to decide whether to purchase Halion Symphonic Orchestra or not, but not the solo ensemble strings, I want big powerful ensemble strings.

If someone can upload or put a link to a demo of Halion Symphonic Orchestra tutti ensemble strings patches it will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

You know what? Nevermind.
I’ve found enough recordings of full orchestral pieces all done by Halion Symphonic Orchestra, and I can observe the quality of the sound.

Just help me to solve my confussion:
I don’t remember at all the strings patches names list of Halion Symphonic Orchestra.

Can someone tell me whether the patches names you see in 2:09 in this video:

And the patches names you see in 2:33 in this video:

Are patches from Halion Symphonic Orchestra or patches from Halion 6?

I know that in the Halion sample player they are merging all the patches from all their libraries in one list.
I tried in a music equipment store Halion 6 few weeks ago, Halion Symphonic Orchestra wasn’t installed on their PC, and I remember for certain that all of the patches names in the lists in the two videos above, weren’t appeared in Halion 6 when I tried it in that store.
All those “Chamber Strings” patches, and “Strings 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9”, simply weren’t there.

Maybe not all of Halion 6 content was installed on their PC, and maybe all those patches belong to Halion Symphonic Orchestra.
That’s what I have to find out before deciding whether to purchase Halion Symphonic Orchestra and\or Halion 6.

Thanks in advance.

Hi hag01,

First video is about Halion 6, the second looks like HSO.

Do you have a Steinberg dongle (usb licenser)? They come with a 24 hour license for all Steinberg applications. This should allow you to demo the HSO for a limited time again.

You could also trial Dorico, it comes with HSO.

Or just try to get another trial. You might be lucky.

I don’t think HSO is part of H6, but then I got HSO before I got H6.
The string patches on HSO are

• Dbl Basses: Solo Combi, Solo Staccato Alt, Combi
  • Dbl Basses + Cellos: unisono, octave
  • Ensemble: Legato Pad
  • Ensemble Strings: Solo Combi, Solo Pizzicato, Tutti Combi, Tutti Pizzicato
  • Viola: Solo Combi, Solo Staccato Alt
  • Violas: A Combi, B Combi, A Soft Legato, Legato 12-24 Players, Legato X Tremolo, Spiccato A Alt, Spiccato B Alt
  • Violin: Solo Combi, Solo Staccato Alt
  • Violins I: A Combi, A Legato Soft, A Legato+ Portamento, B Combi, Legato 16-32 Players, Legato X Tremolo
  • Violins II: A Combi, A Legato Soft, A Legato+ Portamento, B Combi, Legato 16-32 Players, Legato X Tremolo
  • Violins: Spiccato A Alt, Spiccato B Alt
  • Cellos: A Combi, B Combi, A legato Pad, B Legato Pad, A Legato Soft, Legato 10-20 Players, Legato X Tremolo, Spiccato A Alt, Spiccato B Alt
  • Cellos + Violas: unisono, octave
  • Cello: Solo Combi, Solo Staccato Alt

In practice you use something legato as a default, then the other articulations are swapped in and out according to what you wrote in the score or the lanes of the key editor. I have limited experience with it, but my preference has been to ignore the ensemble and 2-section patches in favor of 4 straight ahead sections with solo instrument patches on separate tracks when needed. In the case of divisi, I use the A/B combinations of course. (So if 1st Violin is divisi, then Violins I A Combi for one part and Violins I B Combi for the other).

The quick controls for body and air are particularly nice.

When you examine HSO in H6 you find that there are a LOT of samples. The quality is pretty decent. For the asking price, HSO is a fantastic deal.

If I could change one thing, it would be to get rid of the reverb on HSO instruments. This messes with the ability to craft a virtual concert hall.I suppose a deVerb plugin would help, or clever use of an envelope shaper. I also encountered trouble with the english horn, which seemed to be panned left (as I recall) when I wanted to seat it center right.