Surround support

Please, it will be great having it :slight_smile:

Tell me about it.

Hello,

thanks for your feedback. Unfortunetly it is currently not planned to integrate surround support.
One of the goals during the development with R.Neve was that these plug-ins should reflect
the hardware original in detail. Therefore a surround version was not developed at that time.

Thanks,
Timo

Hi Timo.
But surely that should mean no stereo EQ as this was originally a mono unit?

Hi Neil,

of course, hardware was mono, but that would be a big limitation, as the plug-ins are mainly
used in music-production environments. Missing surround support is a big issue for you.
We’ll have another round of discussion with Neve soon. Maybe it’s possible to update them,
but I cannot promise it.

Thanks,
Timo

Hi Timo.
Thanks for the information - this is appreciated with the implied caveat accepted.
It does seem odd to me that a requirement for accurate emulation of the hardware can be broken for stereo but not for surround…working in the hardware would require 2 instances of the unit, and if you think that is awkward, try walking a mile in my shoes with the surround issue.
There is simply no good reason not to do this, and I know I am not the only one who thinks this either.

BTW, what makes you think I am not using these in 5.1 music production?
There are more of us than you might imagine, and we all find the dearth of good surround tools inexplicable.

Hi Timo.
Thanks for the information - this is appreciated with the implied caveat accepted.
It does seem odd to me that a requirement for accurate emulation of the hardware can be broken for stereo but not for surround…working in the hardware would require 2 instances of the unit, and if you think that is awkward, try walking a mile in my shoes with the surround issue.
There is simply no good reason not to do this, and I know I am not the only one who thinks this either.

BTW, what makes you think I am not using these in 5.1 music production?
There are more of us than you might imagine, and we all find the dearth of good surround tools inexplicable.

+1

I can’t understand why there are not more surround capable plugins. I have to use Plogue and Metaplugim to build my own surround capable chains.

Because it would appear that whilst it is okay to change “must copy the hardware” from mono to stereo, surround users do not matter. After all, we were promised when the Surround Edition was withdrawn that we would get an even better replacement. I’m still waiting, years later, and suspect I will still be waiting in a few more years. One of the main reasons I put off going to 64-bit for so long is simply that I am going to lose probably 75% of my surround tools when I make the jump next week (new system finally ordered) including the LFE Splitter/Combiner (these just crash W7), all my Starplugs (not only have they gone under, but they do not work in W7 reliably and as they are now gone thanks to some bastard uploading cracks of their entire range it is not going to happen either), the TonyB tools and many more - even my sole Waves bundle - and old 360 surround one. If I want it on the new rig I will have to buy it again in effect - which I will not be doing as it was not very good in the first place.
(sigh)
What else do we have - the Flux suites. I did try these once and was underwhelmed to be honest (control was not what I was expecting it to be as operation at the time was multi-mono with a matrix for channel control (similar to the VirSyn tools) and to my way of thinking, multi mono is unacceptable.

The best currently available for my money has to be the Voxengo stuff. Aleksey has donethese really well, allowing independent control over the groups and there are 4 of these that are user definable. MUCH better.

It is a real shame these Porticos are stereo/mono only. Obviously surround users do not matter.

From my point of view, nobody cares to much about surround. Most of tools that we have (I use Mac) are multichannel versions of one plugin, nothing too fancy.

I’m afraid we won’t see a surround version of this plugin.