Vintage Open Deck

Anyone using this? I downloaded the trial of the entire Vintage plug-in collection. The compressors are very, very good. The EQ is nice as well. But I’m not sold on the Open Deck. It’s extremely subtle; so much so that the results could be achieved with compression and EQ. Pushing the plug until it’s overdriven doesn’t really sound very good. So what’s the scoop?

I also trialled this, and it’s not a patch on the UAD Studer A800 or the UAD Ampex ATR-102.
It’s a shame, as it could be so cool, but…

What brand of tape decks are being modeled? I am looking for the Studer A800, but I don’t want the trouble of getting a UAD-2 card for my computer. I am a Waves Mercury user and I do love their MPX plugin. I’m just looking for other tape flavors I guess…

nexis

wait for the slate digital one !

Yeah, I’ve heard good things about the slate digital one… But I still want to know what tape decks are being modeled with the Steinberg/Yamaha one…

Anybody know where I can get my hands on the manual?

nexis

There is no problem at all with the UAD2 system. I am running 2 Quads in an external chassis & will be getting a third soon - the A800 & the ATR-102 are worth it alone before we even start to talk about the console EQ’s and compressors. The whole system is totaly stable.

I don’t doubt that it sounds good. I usually work with 2 computers. I don’t want to take the card out everytime I want to use the other computer. I dont want to have to buy 2 cards. Computers these days are pretty powerful. I myself have an i7 with 12 gigs of ram and 3 tb drives…

nexis

I decided to pass on the Vintage Collection after my 30 day trial expired. I found other third party plugs that were better and more cost effective.

The Slate Digital analog tape deck plug-in is out now and sounds pretty damn good.

I already have the UAD Studer A800 and it IS AWESOME!!!.. i only have a quad and a solo though so clearly am running into the wall on larger projects… not a fan of ilok and noticed this morning that it was a few GBP lower than it has been, weak Euro possibly? so for me it made sense to get it…
Ran it for the trial period and no, it’s not as good as the UAD A800 but i’m still finding it VERY handy on things like BV’s or less crucial elements of a mix…
Personally i LOVE the tape sims i have… there’s definitely something inherently ‘familiar’ working with them in both ‘feel’ and the sound of em.