Possible usages for the bundle?

Hi!

I just bought the bundle and was hoping for some tips regarding this.

As for the EQ, is this EQ mainly for boosting, due to the wide q-settings? Maybe for the master channel perhaps? I mean, there’s not even any high-cut or low-cut filters included :slight_smile:

And for the compressor. Any tips here?

Many thanks for any info here!

/Fredrik

Hello,

I would say it pretty much depends on your needs.
They can colour the signal quite a bit when used together on all channels - sometimes that could be just what you need, sometimes not.

I find them very useful on the group tracks, where I supposedly don’t need corrective EQ which has been done on the individual tracks and the Compressor helps to glue, for instance, the drum buss. Groups is definitely where I use them the most.

You can also cut with the EQ, but the wide Q would make sense, for example, on a metal kick drum where you probably want to cut the low-mid / mid band. Surely this would not apply to all sound sources.

As per the compressor, I love the way it adds slap to the individual drums when pushed. If you work with acoustic drums and modern music styles, check it out with short settings and a good amount of GR (I rarely exceed 6db, though)!

Just my 2c, I would recommend to play around with them on sources you already worked on and know in order to learn how they behave and sound. It’s really down to one’s need, in my opinion.

Have fun :smiley:

The EQ is one of those that may look limited compared to a lot of digital EQ but do not let this fool you as each setting has been carefully designed & each frequency chosen for musicality - so therefore it’s almost impossible to make things sound bad with it simply because you cannot create a bad setting, whereas most “digital” EQ plugins have many, many more bad settings available than good ones so it is easier to make a mess of things, if you follow me.

I’d definitely take issue with saying the wide Q makes it best suited to boosting, as nearly all EQ actually sound better when cutting (there are exceptions though and this is one of them) but it certainly does sound good boosting - especially the top end from 10KHz upwards. I confess freely I prefer to use it on group channels or FX returns - it works wonders on reverb returns, much better than most of the filters found in most reverb effects for sure.

The compressor is the pick of the 2 for me though. You get 2-in-1 with the joint feed back/feed forward modes and best of all if you are using the VST3 version in a suitable host you get native sidechaining available (although only in Feed Forward mode, as even though you can set up a key for the 5043 in FB mode, it does not respond to the key you set) and this is worth the price of admittance alone as sidechaining dynamics is about the most fun you can have mixing.