I'm finally a "new" lanes convert (Except...)

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
Auster

Re: I'm finally a "new" lanes convert (Except...)

Post by Auster »

JHP wrote: Thank you for the positive feedback about the gif. :)
The functionality is also there for multitrack comping. In the part editor the events can be independently edited and the folder track grouping feature does not apply. You can dissolve the parts if you would like to change the comp.
Here is a gif that shows multitrack comp protection:
AProtectingMultiTrackComps.gif
Gr,
JHP
That's awesome! Thx!

HowlingUlf

Post by HowlingUlf »

JHP wrote:Hi,
Thanks for your posts A.j and asessing the current situation.
I have already reported this thread to the respective departments.
To make the gifs I am using "LICEcap". :)

Thanks to all of you,
Gr,
JHP
Those gifs are great. One gif says more than a thousand words! 8-)
Create a locked topic with all of them, one in each post and a short description plus maybe a link to the original topic? :idea:
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.5 | Steinberg WaveLab 10 | Steinberg Absolute 4 | Steinberg SpectralLayers 6
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

JHP

Post by JHP »

HowlingUlf wrote: Those gifs are great. One gif says more than a thousand words! 8-)
Create a locked topic with all of them, one in each post and a short description plus maybe a link to the original topic? :idea:
Thanks.
Over time I will add some Cubase 6 advice thereads which are all linked to each other and form a ring:
It starts with this one:
http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... =19&t=9515

I will make a short comp protection thread to add the gifs there and link it to the ring.

Gr,
JHP
Jan Peters, QA
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!

hkh

Post by hkh »

JHP wrote: I will make a short comp protection thread to add the gifs there and link it to the ring.
I don't want to learn a new workflow to protect my work from broken functionality...

Conman

Post by Conman »

hkh wrote:
JHP wrote: I will make a short comp protection thread to add the gifs there and link it to the ring.
I don't want to learn a new workflow to protect my work from broken functionality...
If you're not always learning something new with Cubase..... :roll: maybe you know it all. :mrgreen:
Like me.
Asus P6T deluxe; Core i7 920 2.67gHz; 12gig ram; Win7 Pro SP1; Roland Octa-Capture usb inteface; Cubase 6; and no 3rd party additions couple of hard drives PSU 750watt; NVidia GE Force 9600.
"An entrepreneur accepts that the world is the way that it is and goes about changing it rather than waiting for someone to make it easy for them."

Split
Grand Senior Member

Post by Split »

It'll make a nice gif-t for someone...

I'll get my coat :P
??????Split
Cubase 10|MOTU 16A
Still at it... just!

Split
Grand Senior Member

Post by Split »

Conman wrote:
hkh wrote:
If you're not always learning something new with Cubase..... :roll: maybe you know it all. :mrgreen:
Like me.
What, you're always learning something new... :lol:
??????Split
Cubase 10|MOTU 16A
Still at it... just!

Conman

Post by Conman »

What, you're always learning something new...
Yep. But it pushes the old stuff out. :lol: Then I have to learn the old stuff again.
Asus P6T deluxe; Core i7 920 2.67gHz; 12gig ram; Win7 Pro SP1; Roland Octa-Capture usb inteface; Cubase 6; and no 3rd party additions couple of hard drives PSU 750watt; NVidia GE Force 9600.
"An entrepreneur accepts that the world is the way that it is and goes about changing it rather than waiting for someone to make it easy for them."

Split
Grand Senior Member

Post by Split »

Conman wrote:
What, you're always learning something new...
Yep. But it pushes the old stuff out. :lol: Then I have to learn the old stuff again.

Recursive learning :lol:
??????Split
Cubase 10|MOTU 16A
Still at it... just!

hkh

Post by hkh »

Conman wrote:
hkh wrote:
Like me.
Well... the old way was fine. quick and easy. The new way *knuf* this up and to be able to work kind of like i did before I now have to incorporate a slow and messy workaround into my workflow.

Seriously, if you don't understand the problem, then you can't have done a lot of advanced editing in cubase

*knuf* change, I want tools that work the way I want them to

Conman

Post by Conman »

I do a lot of editing. I don't know what "advanced" means as I generally plan well ahead so I don't have to complicate things that I may forget to edit.
For a couple of decades now, even on hardware keyboards, mixers, etc new versions always have changed features. Everything is always changing and on the move, some good, some bad. Usually it's down to what features are NOT a selling point at present so it's simplified and the devs look at it to see if any improvements can be made. You may find that it's improved in some future update or they may even take it back to what it was. As the thread illustrates, it is a big deal for some so they may well rethink.

But I still know it all. :mrgreen:

akfunk

Post by akfunk »

It has been briefly mentioned in the thread, but what I believe to be the simplest "workaround" for the issue when recording new parts appears to have been largely overlooked. Simply muting the newly recorded or pasted elements restores the previously comped sequence. Cubase seems to retain some sort of memory for the order that a part was selected in for any given period of time in the audio sequence, and muting any given active element of a comped sequence makes Cubase activate the most recently selected non-muted part. This is an incredibly easy way to record more parts for sections you have already comped without losing all your hard work.
Unmuting the part does not reactivate it in the sequence.
I should note that this is using 6.0.3

alexis
Grand Senior Member

Post by alexis »

I just read your post akfunk, will have to try that out, thanks.

FWIW, I just spent some time color coding the "selected" bits that go into a comp before recording a new take. It looks like it might work ok here, at least based on the 1st few first look-see trial runs. No need to "protect" the comp as far as I can tell - even when the new take "rewrites" over the original comp, the original choices are easily identified by their different color, and the original comp can be relatively painlessly restored by clicking on those blue meanies.

The new take in its new lane shows up uncut, and when you do cut it, the cuts are extended up into all the previous takes on their lanes.I found that the cutting of the new take is not trivial - it's pretty easy to have a veritable plethora of extraneous cuts on the original lanes, which just seems like an accident waiting to happen, at least on my computer.

It's not so bad if the new take cut is far away from the original cuts made when working on the first comp. It was easy enough to just use the glue tool to delete the new cuts that had appeared on the "old" comp segments, and that was fine.

But, if I try to cut the new take in the same place/at the same point in time that the old ones were cut ... I found it almost impossible to overlay the cuts precisely, and thus I wound up with multiple very narrow/short "slivers" in my old takes. [Edit: SNAP to events - no problems now :D ]

I'm hoping these will go away with x-fading, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

Hope this helps someone down the line, and also if anyone has any suggestions re: this process, am I overlooking something important ...? Also, especially for lining the cuts in the new take up at the exact same point in the track that the original cuts were made, I'd appreciate it! [Edit: SNAP to events - no problems now :D ]

Thanks -
Last edited by alexis on Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexis

-Cubase "Safe Start Mode" (CTRL-ALT-SHIFT)
-Get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here,
-Replacing freely-timed section into a variable tempo project

Cubase 9.0.20; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W10 Pro 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo; Jamstix 3.6; RevoicePro3.3; EZDrummer 2

Post by Guest »

Sunshy wrote:
1. Go through all your sliced up lanes until you have your "perfect take."
2. Instead of Advanced/Delete Overlaps, select a new function called "Move Comp To New Track"
3. All the bits of audio that made up your perfect take are MOVED to a new track above the selected track and is named "Comp Vocals 1" for example.
4. Now, because all of these bits of audio have been MOVED to a new track, they are no longer available in the track you were editing lanes in. This avoids you accidentally choosing the same bit of audio when selecting bits for a new double tracked vocal comp.
5. Now you can run "Move Comp To New Track" again and make a third track if you'd like.
Great idea! Very useful when you need to extract more than one comp from the same recording (eg double tracked vocals)

alexis
Grand Senior Member

Post by alexis »

How are you guys doing this in the new system?

1) Multiple lanes from cycle recording of an audio piece.
2) Comp.
3) Decide that you want to replace a piece of audio from one spot in the timeline with one from another. For example, the vocalist said the word "dig" in the first chorus instead of "dog" ... he said it correctly in the 2nd chorus, and you want to cut and paste it over to the first chorus.

When I try it my comp goes crazy.

Thanks for any suggestions -
Alexis

-Cubase "Safe Start Mode" (CTRL-ALT-SHIFT)
-Get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here,
-Replacing freely-timed section into a variable tempo project

Cubase 9.0.20; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W10 Pro 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo; Jamstix 3.6; RevoicePro3.3; EZDrummer 2

Post by Guest »

alexis wrote:How are you guys doing this in the new system?
3) Decide that you want to replace a piece of audio from one spot in the timeline with one from another. For example, the vocalist said the word "dig" in the first chorus instead of "dog" ... he said it correctly in the 2nd chorus, and you want to cut and paste it over to the first chorus.

When I try it my comp goes crazy.
Yes, it's another lanes-related disastrous oversight on part of the designers.
It makes it impossible to re-arrange your audio without losing the comp. Even moving vertically on the same track will lose the comp.

See here -> http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... 19&t=16157

Return to “Older Cubase versions”