Cubase 6.5 / Cubase Artist 6.5 update available

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
glibgabe

Re: Cubase 6.5 / Cubase Artist 6.5 Update available

Post by glibgabe » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:34 am

I completely agree whith the above criticism of *Steinberg* on this issue. I have been a loyal cubase user from 1998 until now. I have purchased every version of cubase and also other *Steinberg* products.

Because I am obsessed with keeping my machine up to date I check for software updates on a regular basis. When there is a new version, I always purchase the Update.

In the past there have been free maintenence updates that include new features or modules that where not part of the initial release but because it was an update withing a product version they where of course free maintnance updates.

I have absolutely no need for any new synths or these useless dance/dj related filters. I just want my core updates to the system I payed for.

If *Steinberg* wants to give these plugins to cubase 6 users at a bargin of $50 then they should offer that and people would be appreciative, and if the these are vsts they are interested in they would recognise the bargan and be greatfull. Instead, steinberg is basicly holding back an in version update unless you buy a product you dont want.

I have spent years promoting cubase and forming arguments of why people should use cubase rather then other DAWs and have converted a number of PT users. In addition, I have personaly sworn off other platforms in a sighn of loyalty and solidarity.
I have always felt that cubase is superior in many ways and that is where my loyalty comes from. But costomer support/loyalty trumps everything else.
I am not going to leave cubase as I have so many open project, dont want to deal with the learning curve and enjoy the product as I have for the past 14 years. Because I am affraid of missing important hotfixes and maintnance updates and my life being govened by OCD, I will most likely be purchasing this update. My disapointmant/outrage is not in my financial situation, but in principal, completly.
My course of action will be as follows:
-I will update untill cubase six is in its final version
-I will be purchasing protools 10 as I have been looking to have it around anyway to acomadate cliants bringing PT sessions to my studio
-I will continue using C6 but I will not update to C7 when it comes out or ever buy *Steinberg* again
-If I end enjoying PT, I will slowly transistion and end all association with steinberg.
-even if i hate PT and continue to use C6 I will steer people I talk to away from *Steinberg* and inform people of how steinberg treats there loyal costomers (unless *Steinberg* rectifies this situation)
In closing, I am offended by this action and feel *Steinberg* should have more respect for their loyal costomers.
P.S.
I have never writen somthing like this on a forum and I dont expect this to influence stienbergs policys. I also will not be entertaining any responses to this that are differant of my opinon. Because the way I feel about this not up for debate and everyone is entitled to their own perspective on this issue. If you are a costomer that is satisfied with *Steinberg* on this than good for you and I am not going to try and convince you otherwise, I just want my reaction to this and those who share it to be represented publicly (and I want to vent)
P.P.S
please forgive my poor spelling and grammar.
-Gabe

robfosters

Post by robfosters » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:42 am

I feel I've had a result here.

Got the Cubase Artist plus pack a few days back for £229. A day after I installed it all, I was notified that I could upgrade for free to 6.5. So got a CI2+_ and Cubase Artist 6.5 for £229. Seeing as a CI2+ is £210 and Artist is £250 on here, I got a decent saving.

keyboardguy

Post by keyboardguy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:11 am

Mikes466 wrote:This update can't be purchased and downloaded in North America? Do I have to order a box?
Thx.
I just downloaded my version here in Florida USA.
What specific problem are you having?

Go here and click on "buy now":

http://www.steinberg.net/en/shop.html

Oscat

Post by Oscat » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:19 am

Seems to me that if the 6.06 contained everything other than the Synths everybody would be happy, £42 for two synths is good value, if you need or want them.
Comping improvements should certainly be in 6.06 and hope they have a change of view on this issue. It to me is a core part of Cubase when compared to a Vst.
From London UK, working with a PC
Intel i7 2600K at 3.8 Ghz HT on,Thermalright VenomousXRT with Gigabyte GA-Z68x-UD5-B3, Samsung 840 Pro 512Gb, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb Hdd, 16Gb Corsair Vengence PC12800 9-9-9-24,XFX Radeon 6450 HD passive,Corsair HX620W power, Samsung SATA DVD Drive and a SATA DVDRW Drive all in an Antec Solo case
Windows 7 64 bit ; TC Electronic Konnekt 24D - Driver 3.2, Alpha Track and M Audio axiom 49 ----
Cubase 7.5.1 with Amplitube 3.11.2, SVX, Fender, Slash etc. SampleTank 2.54, TRacksCS grand , CSR, Fabrik C and R, Kontact player + Slate Drums and loads of other plugs.

synchronizer

Post by synchronizer » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:32 am

Compared to that of Cubase 6.0.0, how is the RAM/CPU/stability performance of Cubase 6.0.5 and 6.5?
Old System: 2010 macbook pro i7 Mac OS 10.9, Cubase 6

Elektrobolt
Location: A wet blue oblate spheroid spinning around a fiery bright yellow dwarf at 107,000 km/h.

Post by Elektrobolt » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:35 am

synchronizer wrote:Compared to that of Cubase 6.0.0, how is the RAM/CPU/stability performance of Cubase 6.0.5 and 6.5?
Cannot comment on the comparison between the two, but Padshop and Retrologue are very lean on my computer, barely popping a pixel on the performance meter when playing. :)
"Remember that we live only in the present, in this fleeting instant; all the rest of our life is either past and gone, or not yet revealed."

synchronizer

Post by synchronizer » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:45 am

That's good. In my signature you can see that my system is lacking in the HDD department and other areas. I have a lot of ASIO meter problems... audio crashes, freezing. I was wondering if the stability and overall performance of Cubase, the program ITELF has been improved in 6.0.5 (soon to be 6.0.6) and 6.5 since 6.0.0.
Old System: 2010 macbook pro i7 Mac OS 10.9, Cubase 6

Rexxyboy

Post by Rexxyboy » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:51 am

Successful Update.

$59 AU, well, the Steinberg synths are actually useable for the first time, so i guess thats good. I'm a full time music professional so its a tax write off, (PLEASE MAKE THE PORTICO PLUGINS HALF PRICE THO!!)

Still crashes on Exit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rewire support is good. Will report back more findings.

Win 7 / 64
Win10/ RME UCX / Mytek / Cubase Pro 10 / Halion 6 / Kontakt / Slate VMS + Everything/ Waves / Focal / Yada Yada ...

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:22 am

I have to throw my hat in with those objecting to paying for this upgrade. I've paid to go 4-5-6 but not for any incremental updates this far. The comping improvement should be included in the 6.0.6 update however, I gather it will not be. Making customers pay for this fix (c'mon, this is not a new feature now is it) is inappropriate. Its not about the cost for me, its about the principle. Or is this the new pricing model?

Perhaps I will take a look at DP8 from MOTU, now that it's cross platform. Performer was the first sequencer I ever used on a computer.

I will weigh this carefully and may simply wait for C7.

Time for a goodwill gesture Steiny, add the comping feature to the free update around the corner. Be good to your user base.
Robin
Visit Northwood Mediaworks!
| Cubase Pro 8.5.20 | Wavelab 8.0.3e | HSO | Padshop Pro | Win10pro 64 | i7 16Gb | UR44 | Angry Wife |
| OSX 10.12.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15 | Loads of Other Stuff |

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:36 am

NorthWood MediaWorks wrote:Its not about the cost for me, its about the principle.
For me it's about being able to access the features and facilities I need in a timely manner.

As end users, we cannot know what development resources were expended during the comping/lanes fix, rewire/flac upgrades and if those additions were outside the normal development schedule. It would not surprise me that due to the incessant demands of customers, extra development staff may have been required and thus additional costs were incurred within a shortened timeframe.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:34 am

SB is offering users two options: $50 for C6.5 (worth it in my opinion) or the soon-to-be-released free C6.0.6 update. This seems pretty darn reasonable whichever path you follow.

Of course the 3rd option is to not upgrade and continue using what you already have. That's also a reasonable choice.

My long distance guitar player friend recently paid $299 to upgrade from Pro Tool 9 to PT 10.
Now that really hurt!

Binger

Post by Binger » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:57 am

Tortoise wrote:That's it! I'm a engineer/producer, long time Cubase user (more than 12 years) and bought Cubase 6 some time ago.
I thought the new feature looked promising.

However there was no indication that Steinberg had done massive changes to the behaviour of certian elements. Like how you work with the lanes. Which messed up my workflow badly. So badly I had to go back to Cubase 4 again. The old workflow was simply so intuive to me I couldn't work with Cubase 6.

I wrote several mails to the support, asking if there was something to do? And after the 5 attempt without any replies, I wrote to the support asking "At least please tell me, are you even considering a chang in the way Cubase 6 behaves with lanes/comping?" Again, I got no reply.

So last week I had it, (after all I couldn't use Cubase 6, the lane behaviour was so "opposite" the way it used to be, I couldn't get used to it after weeks of re-trying) and started looking for an alternativ DAW. Working with Cubase 4 isn't what I'm looking for 2012, when it comes to features.

And I found Reaper, and after a 4-5 days working with it I'm happy to be out of Cubase world forever. Reaper is super user-friendly and behaves the way YOU want. And the developers/support are actually replying to your

Ironic, that just a 6.5 update (with updated lane/comp behaviour!) was announced today.

Well, the way Steinberg treats their customers. One little reply saying "we are working a update!", or anything would have made the difference. And they're charging for a .5 update?

Auf Wiedersen Steinberg, I'm moving on.

Well, I have tried Reaper and their sound engine is not up to par or as good as Cubase, Sonar, Samplitude or even Mixcraft. Play something on your keyboard/guitar, etc. and listen to it dry on headphones; then, record that same thing in Reaper, Cubase, Sonar, etc. You will notice a very different, almost muddy and "thin" like sound in Reaper. In Sonar or Cubase the sound is reproduced exactly as what you listened to before it was put through a sound engine. Now, my hearing has dimished over the years, but I can tell a very distinct difference in the sound that Reaper reproduces as opposed to Cubase, Sonar, etc.
Sam B Conner

metl4evr

Post by metl4evr » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:17 am

The Oracle wrote:
The dman wrote:How much money did some of us spend on recorders, mixers, outboard etc through the years? and for some people a DAW and a computer replaces most of it. ...$50 is a walk in the park. Holy crap I wish I could have part of what I spent through the years on future boat anchors back in my pocket.

It's all perspective ;)
Ha, good point. I indeed remember the days when I had to pay 7000,- Euro for my Roland Sampler. Two of the reasons why it was so expensive was the included 40 MB hard drive and the 12 MB RAM :lol:
WOW you just dated yourself sir. Oh well.. i'm right there with ya - anyone remember the 8088s? hah

or better yet, the C64s and the Tandys?

or better yet, 2 inch MACHINES?!?!? :lol:
Cubase Pro 8.5 | WaveLab 9 | Windows 10 | RME HDSPe-AIO | RME Babyface PRO | Intel Core i7 980 3.33gHz 24gb RAM | Ping G25 Diamana 'ahina 70g Stiff

E.J. Live!

Post by E.J. Live! » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:27 am

Dr. V wrote:SB is offering users two options: $50 for C6.5 (worth it in my opinion) or the soon-to-be-released free C6.0.6 update. This seems pretty darn reasonable whichever path you follow.

Of course the 3rd option is to not upgrade and continue using what you already have. That's also a reasonable choice.

My long distance guitar player friend recently paid $299 to upgrade from Pro Tool 9 to PT 10.
Now that really hurt!
#1 this is completely a straw-man argument.
#2 the point is that the updates are not in the update but in the paid upgrade.
#3 the UPGRADE from pt9 to pt10 is a MAJOR UPGRADE. If you don't know that or what the upgrade is about, you have bigger issues than steiny trying to jack you for $50. That $299 is well spent money. Not only that but Avid has versions of pt that have 4 year support! 4 years free!

I agree with a previous poster on ending the cycle with Cubase. I too will be making the move to PT10 and slowly weaning off of Cubase. All new projects will be started in PT. Once previous projects are finished that were started in cubase I'm selling it to recoup some of my investment.

I'm tired of being nickel-and-dimed and convincing people that cubase is just as good. I've worked too hard for this program and don't feel that I've gotten nearly the same in return. I think it'll feel good to not have to make any excuses for it any longer. If they don't care about keeping me, I don't care about staying.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:46 am

metl4evr wrote:I'm NOT carrying that stupid dongle around wherever I do on site recording just so I can LOSE it and all access to my business machine as well.
You can use a lesser program such as LE (or Elements) just for tracking and that way you'll be able to take advantage of the bugfixes and other enhancements and NOT need the dongle, which still having much of the effects and synth arsenal of the full version.

suntower

Post by suntower » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:49 am

For me this is a rather disappointing update. They worked on the whole 'lanes' issue which has been driving me nuts. GOOD. Improvements to Warp? Nice.

But the rest of it is mostly toys.

What I -want-... what is in Nuendo and was promised would be ported over is MULTING... the ability to assign a track to MULTIPLE output channels---not Sends.

That's the -one- thing missing from Cubase to be a -real- mixing desk.

The toys I won't use. The $50 is not a big deal... though I feel like I shouldn't have to pay just to get the lanes fixed. But whatever.

But again, the lack of multiple outputs is -very- disheartening. It's like they spend all their dev time on all this 'candy' and don't take the time to port over code they ALREADY HAVE in Nuendo.

---JC
Primary: i7960 16gb RAM, SSD, 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Second: Sandybridge 16gb RAM 3 3TB HD, Win10 Pro
Laptop: HP Pavilion i5, 8GB RAM 7200RPM, Cubase Pro 10, iCPro, WL9.5, Win 10
Vienna Ensemble5, VSL, NI Komplete, EWQLSO, LASS, Embertone, Arturia, Waves, Soundtoys etc. CME UF8, Roland TD-12 VDrums

Jalcide

Post by Jalcide » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:53 am

It's never fun paying for bug fixes, but all software has bugs and the developers deserve to get paid for their hard work. I think 50 dollars is a reasonable toll on the DAW highway. Is it arbitrary and poorly timed? Maybe, but who cares, in the long-term it all comes out in the wash. I would rather they charge me incrementally and stay in business. The investment is a two-way street. The time I invest into the software is worth more than 50 bucks to me.

I just came from Logic to Cubase (and was a Cubase user long before that) and let me tell you that Logic has devolved into one sad, neglected piece of software. I would gladly have paid 50 bucks for Logic's bugs and stability issues to have been fixed.

With Cubase, you're really getting two DAWs; an OS X version and a Windows version. Having the flexibility and security of being able to move cross platform is huge (especially now that the Mac Pro line is in question).

With other professional software, say, Cinema 4d, you pay a flat amount each year. So, you're actually writing the check when there is no new version at all. No one complains about that.

As for not wanting to pay for virtual instruments you don't use, just accept it for the greater good and realize it's about protecting your investment (in money, time and desired workflow). Steinberg has done the market research, realized they need to compete with other DAWs that have more instruments included, and is doing what's required to survive in the marketplace. Great! Smart. Let them be strategic and do what they have to do. The healthier they are, the better the software will be and the more protection of our investment. As everyone is quick to point out, there is indeed much competition for Steinberg. I'd hate to have them financially hurting and have to downsize and drop the OS X version (like Logic did long ago).

[Sidebar on all the Cubase "competition": Logic sucks and it's not cross-platform. It crashes every 10 minutes and when it's not crashing it's "cpu overload" is a modal dialog you have to manually click away. Sometimes, over and over, faster than you can click it away to even hit stop, it's like you're playing a reflex-skill-oriented video game -- maddening. Digital Performer JUST went cross-platform but still does not have the ability to create "shared copies" (patterns, aliases, ghost regions, etc.) -- I could do this on hardware sequencers 20 years ago, there's no excuse for DP to not have this, on a computer, in 2012. PT is good but the UI is no where near as polished and crisp as Cubase 6+ and MIDI is not its strong point. Ableton's audio summing engine is inferior and it's workflow is really more for live. Sonar and FL Studio, not cross-platform. PreSonus, does it even do MIDI? If it does, it can't possibly be as sophisticated as Cubase. It's looks like a 10 year old audio-only DAW with CD mastering selling points. What year is this? Reaper is pretty good. IMO, it's Cubase's only real competition. I like the UI and workflow in Cubase better. Cubase looks and feels like it's from people who really use it and care about it -- the attention to detail, the precision. Other DAWs look and feel sloppy in comparison.]

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:18 am

E.J. Live! wrote:I agree with a previous poster on ending the cycle with Cubase. I too will be making the move to PT10 and slowly weaning off of Cubase. All new projects will be started in PT. Once previous projects are finished that were started in cubase I'm selling it to recoup some of my investment.
E.J. you need to be clear on what other programs have that Cubase does not before saying you will jump ship, since obviously you are endeared in some way towards Steinberg otherwise you'd not be bothered posting in this forum.
Suntower wrote:What I -want-... what is in Nuendo and was promised would be ported over is MULTING... the ability to assign a track to MULTIPLE output channels---not Sends.
That would be really nice actually and use a digital/analog desk for mixing.

The Fool On The Hill

Post by The Fool On The Hill » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:26 am

I'm burried too with the while...

Bought my first version of "THE THING", the XT 3.0, in 1996, and till then bought almost all updates...
At this time it was also much more expensive comparativly to now, for new customers...
i Think that as years long fidel user and givin free live publicity using my tool, as public studio, and as music school, i supported your team enought !
Who support me ?! as artist ?!! as ...........
New customers get cubase for even not 20% of the price i paid, to support the team since all those years...
Of course i will buy if there's no other way to stay up to date, but that's not fair !
You may think about special very early customers status...
You may think about better take a bit more money to new incomers... not much but something fair...
I mentaly planed to update in a while to C7,as ever, but 6.5, i begin to feel racketed...

hooo hooo ! Commercial team or who else decide!!! what are you doing to me !

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TO US ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to forum team for relaying our messages....

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:29 am

The Fool On The Hill wrote:You may think about special very early customers status...
Anything before Yamaha became involved should not even be in the discussion.

We've had these people from the Lounge carrying on about VST 5 when they are in fact using the latest version.

Kind of makes one wonder if they are getting a backhander on the side.

Ojustaboo

Post by Ojustaboo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:07 am

Jalcide wrote: As for not wanting to pay for virtual instruments you don't use, just accept it for the greater good and realize it's about protecting your investment (in money, time and desired workflow). Steinberg has done the market research, realized they need to compete with other DAWs that have more instruments included, and is doing what's required to survive in the marketplace. Great! Smart. Let them be strategic and do what they have to do. The healthier they are, the better the software will be and the more protection of our investment. As everyone is quick to point out, there is indeed much competition for Steinberg. I'd hate to have them financially hurting and have to downsize and drop the OS X version (like Logic did long ago).
Trouble is, if people truly feel aggrieved enough over this to go elsewhere, long term this will do Steinberg far more harm than good.

Doesn't matter how much you say people should just accept it, if they choose not to, that's less money come next major upgrade time for Steinberg.

I go my wife to buy me Cubase 6 for Christmas :) I installed it as soon as it arrived, set it up, activated it etc then did an image backup, wife took the dongle and I had no access until Christmas day.

As it happened, with relatives etc, I didn't actually get to use it until the new year, but had registered it as soon as the s/w arrived.

So 9 weeks after using my Christmas present, in order to keep it up to date, I have to pay a further £42.

Again as stated earlier, for me, I wanted padshop so it doesn't bother me, but had I not wanted it, I wouldn't be happy at all to have to pay a further £42 just nine weeks later to keep it up to date.

I am watching how this is being handled very carefully, to be honest, as it is, I am very unlikely to upgrade to V7 or further due to this one cheap upgrade. I used Cubase for years in the past, had a while away from my hobby due to illness, have just come back and chose Cubase due to my prior knowledge of it. Another reason I went for it was that it was a new version and I presumed that I wouldn't have to pay for updates anytime soon.

Sure if your a professional studio or your making money from your home studio, £42 is nothing to keep it up to date, but many Cubase users are hobbyists such as myself and for example, for me, there's 3 or 4 things I want that £42 would go nicely towards, it just so happens that padshop was one of those things for me.

This discussion is starting to go round in circles. £42 isn't a lot of money compared to many other things, but for many, having no real choice but paying for it to get the lanes fixed when they recently (I count 6 months as recently) purchased the previous upgrade or brought the full version, well for many people it isn't just abut the money, there's a principle involved.

It's a bit like paying for say windows 7, finding out something that's used by a lot of people in XP no longer works, then 3 months later getting told by MS that you need to pay £42 to update to windows 7.5 but don't worry, they've included a couple of new solitaire games in with the deal, but if you don't want to upgrade, there's a free upgrade next week, but it wont fix what what working in XP. Then people go into the MS forum to complain and others tell them that they just need to accept it and others tell them that £42 for a great couple of solitaire games is a very good deal (ok the solitaire games are a silly example but you know what I mean).

Bottom line is, when Cubase 7 does come out, many people will no longer happily upgrade on the understanding that they don't have to lay out any more money until V8. Steinberg has shown this is no longer the case. This small £42 will have done Steinberg real damage, that is my concern.
i7 3820 a2011 | Asus P9X79 MB | 32GB Ram | AMD Radeon 8GB RX 480 OC | Win 10 Pro | Focusrite Saffire Pro 24
Cubase 9.5 | HALion 6 | Groove Agent 4 | NI Komplete 11 | UVI True Keys Italian | Omnisphere 1 | Jamstix 4
Kawai MP7 | NI Maschine Mikro mk 2

Santuzzo

Post by Santuzzo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:14 am

What I would think/hope is that having spent 50 € for the 6.5 upgrade, the upgrade to Cubase 7 will be cheaper, this 6.5 upgrade being 'half' of the upgrade to Cubase7.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:43 am

Santuzzo wrote:What I would think/hope is that having spent 50 € for the 6.5 upgrade, the upgrade to Cubase 7 will be cheaper, this 6.5 upgrade being 'half' of the upgrade to Cubase7.
Now that would be a reasonable proposition!

mtr

Post by mtr » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:10 am

Now lets be real here,

Don't for one second think that updating to C7 is going to get cheeper because of this update. This is a paid update not a loan to help steinberg get by while they work on C7.

Even better is when the upgrade from C6.5 to C7 is the usual 199 and the upgrade from C6.? is 250 and steinberg gets their 50 bucks anyway.

The main problem here is that steinberg should release all fixes in the 6.0.6 update and leave the rest of the toys for the update.

*Steinberg* really should stop and rethink how they make software. Anyone with common sence would understand that you release a new update, iron it out untill its perfect, then work on new features, then repeat.

Matt

Santuzzo

Post by Santuzzo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:15 am

mtr wrote:Now lets be real here,

Don't for one second think that updating to C7 is going to get cheeper because of this update. This is a paid update not a loan to help steinberg get by while they work on C7.

Even better is when the upgrade from C6.5 to C7 is the usual 199 and the upgrade from C6.? is 250 and steinberg gets their 50 bucks anyway.

The main problem here is that steinberg should release all fixes in the 6.0.6 update and leave the rest of the toys for the update.

*Steinberg* really should stop and rethink how they make software. Anyone with common sence would understand that you release a new update, iron it out untill its perfect, then work on new features, then repeat.

Matt
I guess that is basically what I mean, that having 6.5 upgrading to 7 will be less expensive than going from 6.0.x to 7

Return to “Older Cubase versions”