Cubase 6 and Waves 9 [ CRASHES! ] on exit!

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
Tr3nity keys

Re: Cubase 6 and Waves 9 [ CRASHES! ] on exit!

Post by Tr3nity keys » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:27 pm

Cubase 6.5 and Waves 9 hangs on exit for me too in Windows 7 64 bit. I recently upgraded from XP to Win7 and like others on this thread, didn't keep my Waves V8 plugins.

I also can't open a project created in my old setup - CuBase crashes when it is trying to load the song and Windows reports that it has stopped responding.

mr.roos

Post by mr.roos » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:18 am

OK, here is a twist on all of this, a Waves V9 twist that I am really angry about. Here's my story.

I updated to Win7 64, easy enough. Then I installed V9, easy. Then I downloaded my bundles. Easy again. BUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTT, here's the catch. The Waves License Center - from the gate - gave me the option to store my plugins on my computer. Now, you can do this on a flashdrive, too, but I thought, well, on the computer is fine, its not going anywhere. Then I closed out my computer. I came back 3 hours later and turned on C6 - No Waves! WTF? So I opened the WLC and it showed my bundles on a device that was 'disconnected' from my computer. WTF? Hey, there was nothing to disconnect. And the thing is, there is no way to 'reconnect' this device - because it doesn't exist - at least not that I can find. So I sat there and thought, OK, maybe my fresh Win7 install caused this, so I would reload my licenses. AND HERE I WAS WARNED THAT I CAN ONLY DO THIS ONCE A YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I thought, OK, Waves didn't get back to me regarding all of this, so I should just go ahead and reload/recover my bundles, I can deal.

OK, again, the WLC spit out another icon to load my licenses on. And I thought, well, this thing that happened the last time was just a glitch, right? Ha! Not! I reloaded my licenses on this new icon and everything worked great! Sweeet! Then I turned off the computer and came back to it 3 hours later -------- my plugins were on a device that - once again - had been disconnected!!!! And like the last time, I have no way to access it!!!!

So.... went to try this again, and, as Waves declared, I can only do this ONCE a year.

Am I mad? Ha! Yes I am. Imagine it: I spent $1000 for something 4 months ago that I am not ALLOWED to use for another 8 months. Is the Cloud working for you Brother? Ha! I sent them an email, my third one now. And BTW, while all of this was going on, I did get a kind of crypti-say-nothing response to my first email from someone in India, Yes, I did, so I don't know what is going to happen here. As far as I can see, they have created a MONSTER with the WLC. So, note to all of you: download your licenses onto a flashdrive!!!!!!!!!! Even though the WLC says what I did - load my licenses to my computer - is possible, it ain't.

Now if one of you out there has ANY idea where this super secret disappearing 'device' is, I now have two on my computer, then I am all in. Anybody?
Cubase 10 Pro from SX3, WaveLab Pro 10, iC Pro remote app, Win10 64-bit (1903 update installed - latest OS build always), Intel i7 8700 Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.2GHz, 32G DDR4 3200, Gigabyte Z390 Designare MB, Radeon RX570 Graphics card, Mackie 1640i (FireWire via TI chipset PCI-E card), M-Audio Keystation 61es controller via an M-Audio Midi-Sport 1X1.

etl17

Post by etl17 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:01 am

Are you using BitLocker, AppLocker or any of the new fancy Win7 hard drive encryption / protection features?
Are you running any anti-virus software that may interfere with the read / write operations to the hard drive?
Are you running your HDs in a RAID configuration (although I wouldn't think that this would matter)?
Nuendo 8 / Cubase Pro 9 / Wavelab Pro 9 / Windows 10 x64 / Custom build PC 990X, 24GB RAM / RME HDSPe / UAD 2 Quad / PoCo X8 + MkII

MoPro

Post by MoPro » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:38 am

mr.roos wrote:No Waves! WTF?

Now if one of you out there has ANY idea where this super secret disappearing 'device' is, I now have two on my computer, then I am all in. Anybody?
Hello Mr. Roos

You might get a better response if you start a new thread with a discriptive title that best discribes the problem you're having...that way people that have a similar problem and possible solution will see you more easily! ;)

I have re-formatted my hard drive and re-installed Win 7 Ultimate 64, Cubase 6, Fireface 800 driver, and Waves 9...after of course getting all Windows Updates...and Na da!! I thought there might be some rouge program remnants that might have been responsible for my problem before, but not any more! I have yet to install Cubase 6 and Waves 9 on a different computer, but because Waves 8 and Cubase 6 works properly...It's looking like i'm waiting for a fix from Waves and /or Steinberg!

I did speak with a Waves tech. today, and he affirmed that it is legally okay to use V8 after you have upgraded to V9...so at least there are no licensing issues from reverting back to V8 (someone asked about this earlier in this thread).

@ Mr. Roos...I would call Waves! Their tech support is more than happy to take your call...and they have been very helpful toward me in the past!

Al
PC Cubase Pro 9.5.30 (64bit) | WaveLab 9.5.20 (64bit) | HALion 5 (64bit) | Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)
Computer Asus P9X79 Deluxe | Intel i7 3930k | 32 Gig Ram | Intel 520 SSD's | 2T Caviar Black
Hardware RME FireFace's UFX / 800 | AVID Artist Series: Control, Mix, and Transport | EuControl ver. 18.3

mr.roos

Post by mr.roos » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:35 am

Yeah, roger that on the new thread.. but honestly, I don't think I could write that again!! I am just twisted about this Waves cloud. The more I think about it, I can't believe they would offer a cloud program that limits the use of the 'recovery' process. And I say this regardless of the fact that they have created a program that disconnects the storage device from the program without the user's request, or without giving him the option to reconnect it. For a company this big and also one so invloved with software it's ridiculas really. I bought my Waves in December, wait 4 months for a 64 bit changeover that was predicted (by the salesman) to happen in January, and then they create a program that lets me use it for two days, only to take it away. Sweet! Great program, Waves. (And actually, they haven't taken it away, they have instead left it with me, locked up up in some kind of magic disconnected computer flashdrive.)

As to anti-virus or any other program - no - I am running nothing and never have. My provider is a good one and I have my firewall on, that's it. And you are right, I will call them tomorrow, first thing. I honestly think they have a jumped the gun here, releasing this, and I do believe I will get this worked out. Meanwhile I continue to urge others to use an actual flashdrive for this Wave's cloud experience, and NOT the virtual one that pops up in their program.
Cubase 10 Pro from SX3, WaveLab Pro 10, iC Pro remote app, Win10 64-bit (1903 update installed - latest OS build always), Intel i7 8700 Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.2GHz, 32G DDR4 3200, Gigabyte Z390 Designare MB, Radeon RX570 Graphics card, Mackie 1640i (FireWire via TI chipset PCI-E card), M-Audio Keystation 61es controller via an M-Audio Midi-Sport 1X1.

mips

Post by mips » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:40 am

mr.roos wrote:OK, here is a twist on all of this, a Waves V9 twist that I am really angry about. Here's my story.

I updated to Win7 64, easy enough. Then I installed V9, easy. Then I downloaded my bundles. Easy again. BUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTT, here's the catch. The Waves License Center - from the gate - gave me the option to store my plugins on my computer. Now, you can do this on a flashdrive, too, but I thought, well, on the computer is fine, its not going anywhere. Then I closed out my computer. I came back 3 hours later and turned on C6 - No Waves! WTF? So I opened the WLC and it showed my bundles on a device that was 'disconnected' from my computer. WTF? Hey, there was nothing to disconnect. And the thing is, there is no way to 'reconnect' this device - because it doesn't exist - at least not that I can find. So I sat there and thought, OK, maybe my fresh Win7 install caused this, so I would reload my licenses. AND HERE I WAS WARNED THAT I CAN ONLY DO THIS ONCE A YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I thought, OK, Waves didn't get back to me regarding all of this, so I should just go ahead and reload/recover my bundles, I can deal.

OK, again, the WLC spit out another icon to load my licenses on. And I thought, well, this thing that happened the last time was just a glitch, right? Ha! Not! I reloaded my licenses on this new icon and everything worked great! Sweeet! Then I turned off the computer and came back to it 3 hours later -------- my plugins were on a device that - once again - had been disconnected!!!! And like the last time, I have no way to access it!!!!

So.... went to try this again, and, as Waves declared, I can only do this ONCE a year.

Am I mad? Ha! Yes I am. Imagine it: I spent $1000 for something 4 months ago that I am not ALLOWED to use for another 8 months. Is the Cloud working for you Brother? Ha! I sent them an email, my third one now. And BTW, while all of this was going on, I did get a kind of crypti-say-nothing response to my first email from someone in India, Yes, I did, so I don't know what is going to happen here. As far as I can see, they have created a MONSTER with the WLC. So, note to all of you: download your licenses onto a flashdrive!!!!!!!!!! Even though the WLC says what I did - load my licenses to my computer - is possible, it ain't.

I had this exact problem. Do you use any vpn client on your machine?... The device ID is based on your physical nic MAC address, so as I had a vpn client installed the Waves client was associating the license with the clients vpn MAC address which was changing everytime time I rebooted. I had to find this out myself and relay the info to Waves support. Try uninstalling the vpn client if you have one and ask the guys at Waves support to let you recover your licenses again. If its not vpn specific, then Waves is associating another application with a non physical MAC address.

Norbury Brook

Post by Norbury Brook » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:58 am

cubase 6.51 x64 and waves 9 running perfectly here. Did 3 big mixes this week running all x64 with lots of waves (CLA comps, Kramer tapes,Pye, JJP analogue) absolutely trouble free.

MC
Asus X79 pro | 3930x @4.6 hex core | 32 gigs DDR3 | Crucial M4 SSD-win8 x64 | Samsung 840 SSDs | Spinpoint F3's | Poco | VSS3 DVR2 Non Lin | UAD 2| 2x MR 816 | UR824 | full CMC selection |2x Euphonix MC Mix | MC transport |Cubase 7|Nuendo 6 |Windows 8.1 x64

mr.roos

Post by mr.roos » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:40 pm

OK, I did call Waves and they did help me. They could not - I repeat - COULD NOT find where these keys were being stored on my computer. I gave them full reign on it, via a portal, and they couldn't find it. So, what they did do was reset the download process so I have another chance to recover my files in the future, which is nice, and we downloaded onto a, wait for it..............a flashdrive! :lol:

They are pretty quiet about any problems they are having but I was left with the feeling that, as I suspected, I am not the only one having a problem. I did hear the phrase,'early launch problems'. Well, all good here once again. Thank you all for your ideas. Hm, that vpn thing you mention, it didn't come up but really, I have no idea what that might be.??

Either way, you are looking at a flashdrive Waves user!!

mips

Post by mips » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:01 pm

mr.roos wrote:OK, I did call Waves and they did help me. They could not - I repeat - COULD NOT find where these keys were being stored on my computer. I gave them full reign on it, via a portal, and they couldn't find it. So, what they did do was reset the download process so I have another chance to recover my files in the future, which is nice, and we downloaded onto a, wait for it..............a flashdrive! :lol:

They are pretty quiet about any problems they are having but I was left with the feeling that, as I suspected, I am not the only one having a problem. I did hear the phrase,'early launch problems'. Well, all good here once again. Thank you all for your ideas. Hm, that vpn thing you mention, it didn't come up but really, I have no idea what that might be.??

Either way, you are looking at a flashdrive Waves user!!
I used the vpn client as an example as this was exactly what was causing the problem. The 'Device Connected' ID is your physical network MAC address. But my VPN client was assigning a different one everytime I rebooted, so no matter how many times I would of tried and recovered my license it would of always 'disappeared'. My licenses were accessible by navigating to 'c:\ProgramData\Waves Audio\Licenses' and were there but were not accessible as the license file references the MAC address assigned on the previous reboot. File extension should be <filename>.wle, but mine was <filename>.wle.out. It wasn't until I realised this I unistalled the VPN client. I recovered the license one more time and it has worked fine ever since.

Waves were great in trying to resolve, and everything I found out I have sent onto them, so hopefully they can incorporate a fix so no one else experiences the problems I had.

Now I'm not sure if your problem was exactly the same as mine, but I'm glad you've got it working, but its been a damned frustrating experience!... :)

mr.roos

Post by mr.roos » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:44 pm

Well, that path did take me to the fubar licenses. The Waves tech couldn't do this, actually. Its weird, they are sitting there, a Waves file, but the WLC can't find it after creating it. So I assume they will fix this down the road. Funny thing, too, I confirmed the numbers and then erased them from the folder - thinking this would remove the worthless entries in my WLC - but it didn't. Which makes sense because, Ha!, the WLC can't find them. They have a program that is making files one moment, and then forgetting where it is. What a mess for Waves.

So are you saying that you are now booting your Waves with a disc storage key? I can only use a flashdrive for now. It would be weird to think that I have the only system like this and I know from talking to the tech that this is not the case. But from where I sit, I do not understand how it could work on a different computer and not mine. The tech did ask me, you know, 'how many HDs do I have, plugin flashdrive devices, etc.', and he looked, but everything Waves is on my C drive.

It's just a crippled program for now as far as I can see, but they will fix it. In the meantime, my flashdrive connection is working. 8-)

mips

Post by mips » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:50 pm

mr.roos wrote:Well, that path did take me to the fubar licenses. The Waves tech couldn't do this, actually. Its weird, they are sitting there, a Waves file, but the WLC can't find it after creating it. So I assume they will fix this down the road. Funny thing, too, I confirmed the numbers and then erased them from the folder - thinking this would remove the worthless entries in my WLC - but it didn't. Which makes sense because, Ha!, the WLC can't find them. They have a program that is making files one moment, and then forgetting where it is. What a mess for Waves.

So are you saying that you are now booting your Waves with a disc storage key? I can only use a flashdrive for now. It would be weird to think that I have the only system like this and I know from talking to the tech that this is not the case. But from where I sit, I do not understand how it could work on a different computer and not mine. The tech did ask me, you know, 'how many HDs do I have, plugin flashdrive devices, etc.', and he looked, but everything Waves is on my C drive.

It's just a crippled program for now as far as I can see, but they will fix it. In the meantime, my flashdrive connection is working. 8-)
If you remove the broken license file it won't get created again because the original device ID (that the licesne file was associated with) doesn't exist anymore. Or another thing I tried was to rename the license file and rename the file extension from .wle.out back to .wle again and after starting the WLC utility the file got renamed back to .wle.out. But I have about 4 devices in WLC which correspond to nothing... :?

But to answer your question, yes I currently have the license file sitting in my c:\ProgramData\Waves Audio\Licenses directory. You can always move your licence to the cloud and use it on another machine if you ever need to. But what a user could do to check is too run ipconfig (via cmd) and check the mac address of their network card and check to see if it matches the connected device ID within the WLC utility. Because remember if these don't match then the Waves plugin will fail.

So I agree with you, the WLC utility is broken, but I would of thought that these problems will be ironed out in the next release. :D

MoPro

Post by MoPro » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:49 am

Tr3nity keys wrote:Cubase 6.5 and Waves 9 hangs on exit for me too in Windows 7 64 bit.
Hey "Tr3nity keys", sorry i missed your post! Did you ever get your issues sorted? I was thinking about upgrading to Cubase 6.5, but it appears many others are also having Cubase hanging issues with version 6.5...so, I'm sticking with the version that works for me, which is 6.06 for a while longer on the chance that Steinberg, or Waves offer a better solution for me!

Al
PC Cubase Pro 9.5.30 (64bit) | WaveLab 9.5.20 (64bit) | HALion 5 (64bit) | Win 7 Ultimate (64bit)
Computer Asus P9X79 Deluxe | Intel i7 3930k | 32 Gig Ram | Intel 520 SSD's | 2T Caviar Black
Hardware RME FireFace's UFX / 800 | AVID Artist Series: Control, Mix, and Transport | EuControl ver. 18.3

nexis

Post by nexis » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:57 am

works fine for me here... with Mercury (Cubase 6.5)

nexis
Cubase 10 PRO, Steinberg MR816 CSX (2 of them), Windows 10 Pro, i7 Processor, 24 gigs of RAM, 3 TB Drives, Dual Monitors

MoPro

Post by MoPro » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:05 am

nexis wrote:works fine for me here... with Mercury (Cubase 6.5)

nexis
What are your system specs?

MoPro

Post by MoPro » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:47 pm

On the off-chance Cubase 6.5 might address the Cubase 6x/ Waves V9 hanging issue on my laptop...I decided to make the upgrade! :idea:

Doh! :twisted:

Well, now i know the issue will probably need to be addressed by Waves before there will be a solution for me! :|

So, practicing due dilligence would suggest that the next step be to install the software onto a different machine...I'll give that a shot then report back when I have more to add. But, certainly if anyone has any other suggestions...please fire away!

Thanks in advance!
Al

KMCL

Post by KMCL » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:10 am

I had the same problem when I updated to Waves 9. Cubase 6.5 froze every time I attempted to exit. I spoke to Tech Support at Waves who kindly assisted me. It turns out my graphics card driver needed to be updated. Since then Cubase, so far, has closed without any problems.

MoPro

Post by MoPro » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:04 pm

KMCL wrote:It turns out my graphics card driver needed to be updated. Since then Cubase, so far, has closed without any problems.
Thanks for the info! What kind of graphics card do you have and what driver version did you upgrade from/to...thanks?

Al

Gsus

Post by Gsus » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:40 pm

KMCL wrote:I had the same problem when I updated to Waves 9. Cubase 6.5 froze every time I attempted to exit. I spoke to Tech Support at Waves who kindly assisted me. It turns out my graphics card driver needed to be updated. Since then Cubase, so far, has closed without any problems.
I can confirm this advice. Currently I'm using Cubase 6.5 under Windows XP Pro (32bit). Cubase was hanging up on program exit, or when switching off Waves V9 Plugins.

My specs are:

Cubase 6.5
Windows XP Professional SP3 (using recent Windows updates)
Intel Core Duo 2.67 GHz
2GB Main Memory
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (using NVIDIA Display Driver v296.10 / previous version was outdated: v181.20).

MoPro

Post by MoPro » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:05 am

Gsus wrote: I can confirm this advice. Currently I'm using Cubase 6.5 under Windows XP Pro (32bit). Cubase was hanging up on program exit, or when switching off Waves V9 Plugins.

My specs are:
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX (using NVIDIA Display Driver v296.10 / previous version was outdated: v181.20).
Hi Gsus, thanks for posting your specs!

I do believe it is video driver related because after earlier reports of video driver issues...I decided to roll back my video driver to the Windows standard VGA driver and Cubase 6.5 did close properly while using Waves V9.

Unfortunately...I do have the latest nVidia driver for my laptop, which has the Geforce Go 7600 chip running driver version 179.67...I've also rolled back to version 179.48, and Cubase hangs while using either of those drivers, but only while using Waves V9.

Maybe I'll call Waves tech support to see if they can shed more light on the issue!

Thanks again
Al

rtorstrick

Post by rtorstrick » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:27 pm

I had an issue with crashes in Wavelab 7x64 with Waves v9, and solved it by updating my video card driver. It worked fine in Cubasex64 both before and after, however, so I don't know if this is the same issue, just a thought.
Windows 10
Cubase 10, Halion 6.1.15, Wavelab 9.5.35, Dorico 2.1
Intel Core i7, 16 Gb RAM, ASUS Z97-A mobo, 256 Gb SATA SSD system drive, 2x2TB SATA media drives,
G-Drive 3TB USB 3 drive.
Steinberg UR-RT 2, Steinberg MR816csx, Yamaha KX8, CC121, UAD-2 Duo (Pcie)

MoPro

Post by MoPro » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:39 am

rtorstrick wrote:I don't know if this is the same issue, just a thought.
Yea! The only reason that I think it might be video driver related is that everything works with the Windows standard VGA driver, but who knows! Either way...I think Waves V9 is the program not playing nicely with others... especially since all the problems started when I upgraded to Waves V9! :evil:

Al

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:22 pm

So here's a new one. This happens off and on (more on), but when I load up a project, I get a Waves License Error that says "please check that you have a valid license, then click on Rescan Licenses".

I've tried this with the licenses on my HD and a USB drive, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Any idea what the heck is going on?

rmallam

Post by rmallam » Mon May 07, 2012 3:15 am

This has been happening to me as well.

i have just heard back from Waves and they asked me to update my Graphics card..........

I did it and now my project wont even load up without the license error message coming up.

I have a nviea Geforce 8500 gt.

Anyone had any luck solving this problem yet?

MoPro

Post by MoPro » Mon May 07, 2012 8:14 am

rmallam wrote:
Anyone had any luck solving this problem yet?
I've been on the phone with Waves...they've even rooted around my computer remotely, but to no avail. I do believe it is video driver related because when I load the Windows standard VGA driver, everything works as it is supposed to.

After Waves tried all of the scenario's I tried...except the one that actually worked for me ( loading the standard VGA driver ), and after leaving my computer in a mess...Waves decided that it was a "Local Problem!", and then ended the conversation!

I'll be the first to admit that my laptop is getting old, and the most recent video driver update for the InVidia GeForce Go 7600 was in 2009...but my laptop does fall within the posted minimum system requirements to run Waves V9.

Since then...I've tried Waves V9r2, and still no joy! I did notice that the minimum system requirements are now 4 gig of memory instead of the 2 gig required for Waves V8. So, if this problem is video driver related, and your system is using a dynamic memory allocation scheme for the on-board video card as some laptops do...then we just may be hitting the wall when it comes to resources! But, then again... some that are still running Windows XP report no problems running Waves V9, so go figure!

I'm not trying to point the finger at any particular product, but all my problems started when I introduced Waves V9 into the mix!

I'm just sayin'
Al

Subpantelis

Post by Subpantelis » Mon May 07, 2012 3:52 pm

I usually have wlan and the PCI ethernet card deactivated on my laptop DAW. When I first licenced Waves V9 to the laptop, I switched the wlan on for doing it directly online. So I licensed V9, did a test with Cubase and everything was fine. Then I deactivated the wlan and suddenly the license was gone. I realised that Waves needs an activated networking device as the computer's ID. Now, nobody wants to have wlan activated on a DAW cause it seriously compromises audio. So I activated both wlan and the ethernet card, went online again and moved the license from the wlan to the ethernet card. Now I can deactivate wlan and everything's fine. The ethernet card has to remain activated, of course. But this doesn't hurt performance.
Intel Core i7-3770 3.4 GHz ¦ 16 GB DDR3 ¦ 128 GB SSD ¦ 2 TB SATA 7200 rpm ¦ NVidia GeForce GTX 680 ¦ Line 6 UX2
Windows 7 Home 64bit ¦ Cubase 7.0.6 64bit ¦ All plugins 64bit

Return to “Older Cubase versions”