Remote Control Editor discussion

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
-steve-
External Moderator

Re: Remote Controller Editor

Post by -steve- » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:30 pm

sming wrote:(so, surely I hope the same in return :P )
For sure! Plus it is great to see developers participating in the forum. Really helps!

sming
Steinberg Employee

Re: Step-By-Step Guide for using the Remote Control Editor

Post by sming » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:01 pm

Hi cubic13,

the incidence has somehow helped us to see that the RCE support for generic remotes has its own right to be an independent and yet important feature of itself, which should be addressed soon as a good extension for the current editor. And, I suppose that we (you and I) and the rest of the respectable dudes should be optimistic with the potential of this editor. Who knows, we might be able to amend this soon in the near future if the conditions allow ;) By then, we should be able to replace the "less" with "ful", I hope :lol:

Let's keep our fingers crossed and hopefully you guys do find some other useful features out of the new version, nonetheless ;-)
Last edited by sming on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers,
SMing

cubic13

Post by cubic13 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:15 pm

Hi again, Sming

Thanks for honestly stating things as they are. It's appreciated.

Let's see what future will bring. May I suggest you to look again at the different topics made on the subject ? I think that there have been valuable reflections and contributions made in them here and there, concerning the RCE and its potential.

About C7, well, there are some irritating glitches, some UI related, that prevent me to use it fully. I already made 3 reports about the UI issues (mainly and the most important for me, the drop of the preferences/Work area page) in the dedicated subforum. I continue to test it. TBH, the most welcomed new feature is the chord track and it is strange, as I didn't even think of it at first before upgrading. But after testing it, I see how useful it can be and, at its present state, it is already a marvelous tool for educational purposes. If I could, I would suggest to Helge to emphasize this feature for all musicel schools or training structures. But all this is out of topic...

All the best !
DAW : i7-870 (HT enabled) - Asus P7-P55D-E - 16 Gb DDR3-1600 - 2 x WD Black Caviar 1 Tb - Radeon 6450 GPU (512 Mb) - Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64) / RME Fireface UCX + Behringer ADA8200
Soft & plug-ins : Cubase 6.5.5 (64), Cubase Pro 9.5.50 & 10.0.30 / Emulator X3 & several VSTis
Gear : Studiologic VMK-188+ / Akai MPD32 / Akai ME30P MIDI Patchbay / Korg 05RW / Roland D110 / Yamaha TX802 / Pre-MIDI stuff.

Rich

Post by Rich » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:25 pm

Hi SMing!

Well it turns out the RCE is just what I was looking for. I'm not at my system right now but plan to give this a go later this evening. If I can get it to work as intended this will bring GREAT functionality to how I use my studio rig.

Again, thanks so much for the step-by-step explanation.

-Rich

Backbeat

Re: Remote Control Editor : buggy and useless...

Post by Backbeat » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:21 pm

cubic13 wrote:Sorry, but I don't get it : what are the 'pages' you are talking about ? Do you mean creating a GRD for each and every group of 8 parameters ? What I have here in the 'Device setup.../'Remote devices' category are three items, no more no less : Generic Remote (VMK-188+ 'device')
In the Generic Remote Editor for your vmk you have in the bottom box the Generic Remote Pages (Bottom right side dropdown menue).
You can assign a Button (Note or CC Control) to switch these Generic Remote pages.
With every page you can assign the hardwarecontrols in the top box to new targets (for example new controls of your VB3).
So you have your 9 hardwarecontrols switchable with the number of Generic Remote Pages you set for the vmk.
DAW 1: Win 7 Ult.64 , i7 5820K 32GB Ram, MB Gigabyte X99 UD3 Bios F6 ,SSD 850 EVO 500GB ,2x 3TB HDD, RME UFX+Remote, Gap Pre 73 Mk2, M-Audio DSM 3, Neumann U87Ai , T.Bone SC450 , Mackie Control Pro, BCR2000 , Kore Controller , FCB1010 , MPK 88 , NI Maschine/KK S61 , Adobe Audition 3 , NI Komplete 11U , jBridge etc.

DAW 2: Win 10 Pro 64, i7 2600 , 16GB Ram ,SSD 840EVO 256GB, 2x 2TB HDD , Mackie Control Pro, BCR 2000, FCB 1010 , M-Audio DSM 3 , NS10M , Nubert AW400 Sub ,Maschine Mk1/KK S61 , RME Babyface, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 , SPL Goldmike , BPM CR73 , AKG Perception 400

MySound

BCR2000 as Cubase Controller

cubic13

Post by cubic13 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:24 am

Hi again, Backbeat

OK, I see now what it is about : the 'VST 1-16',..., 'VST49-64' pages which indeed allows you to make 4 sets of controls destinations. TBH, I never used them much as I thought that there were only up to 4 banks available, as the 4 modules of the Input Transformer, until...

...I realized just this morning that we can indeed add as much banks as we want and rename them ! They all appear in the 'Devices/Generic remote <x>' little window after being created. This is opening to me a lot of perspectives, as I should be able to set a bank of controls at least for each of my my most used VSTis. Better than quick controls ? Probably not, IMO, but surely worth a check...

What would have been nice is to be able to copy one bank to another : it would have avoid us the need to set again the controls which remain the same from a bank to another (Cubase command : transport, workspaces switch, editors opening, zoom, and so on...). So, one more feature request...

Think I'm going to take a part of the week-end to explore this further... Just hope that the banks created are all saved in the same .xml setup file. Now, it would be wonderful to be able to select automatically a bank accordingly with a track. Maybe via the trackpresets ? macro ? Project Logical Editor ? Have to check this also... I was using the generic remote devices mainly for reaching in a quicker way Cubase commands. Think I'm going to extend their use from now, if possible.

So, you were right : I didn't look enough at what all the generic remote feature is offering... :oops:

Thanks a lot for this tip : without you, I wouldn't have take a further look on all this. A typical example of how much this forum can be useful. :D

Cheers,
DAW : i7-870 (HT enabled) - Asus P7-P55D-E - 16 Gb DDR3-1600 - 2 x WD Black Caviar 1 Tb - Radeon 6450 GPU (512 Mb) - Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64) / RME Fireface UCX + Behringer ADA8200
Soft & plug-ins : Cubase 6.5.5 (64), Cubase Pro 9.5.50 & 10.0.30 / Emulator X3 & several VSTis
Gear : Studiologic VMK-188+ / Akai MPD32 / Akai ME30P MIDI Patchbay / Korg 05RW / Roland D110 / Yamaha TX802 / Pre-MIDI stuff.

Rich

Remote Control Editor Works! Clearing up Confusion

Post by Rich » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:30 pm

After following SMing's setup advice in this thread : https://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtop ... 75&t=32202. I was finally able to get the RCE working as expected. I thought I'd post my thoughts here as I believe some of you guys are a bit confused about the role of the RCE just as I was.

First, the RCE is not a "midi-learn" kinda of thing. It's not "highlight a parameter on your vst, move a knob and go."

Secondly, the RCE is only functional with those controllers that have the ability to control vst parameters right out of the box. So a generic midi controller will not work (as far as I can tell). You can't plug your nano Kontrol or keyboard into your computer and use the RCE.

So how does it work? For those control surfaces that allow VST control (in my case the MCU Pro) you can can change the parameter layout as it appears on your control surface. That's it. But, that in itself is pretty awesome.

For example, when instantiating the SB Compressor as an insert on a track, then calling it up on the MCU Pro, the scribble strips are "jammed" with parameter names and I have to scroll through pages to get to the main parameters I use most often. Frankly, rather than try to read all that mess, I've just used a mouse. But that's changed now.

With RCE, I can delete the parameters from the MCU scribble strip I rarely (or ever) use and just have it list what I want. Equally cool, I can rename the parameters to something I prefer (usually a few meaningful letters that tells me what the parameter is without scrunching up the name on the scribble strip).

Now, I can scroll through tracks, call up the inserts and tweak the parameters I'm interested in WITHOUT ever calling up the vst interface on screen. It's all "ears" now!

And once you've set the VST up with the RCE, Cubase saves those changes. So as you create new projects and instantiate a VST, your favorite parameters are back on the scribble strip again.

So for those of you that have a controller that has built-in vst control ability, give this thing a try. My guess is this will be popular with those who have the ability to use it.

Hope this helps,

-Rich

trashdinner

Re: Mackie control and remote control editor?

Post by trashdinner » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:49 am

thx a lot SMing, I appreciate your explanations,
however, I thought the learn mode would be midi learn. I do have a MCU and
I like to use it, but I'm not gonna spend some time assigning parameters when I can just mouse click on the buttons :s
It would have been amazing to add midi learn so I could assign it to anything (I also have a midi keyboard with buttons and faders) It's cool anyways ;) thx.

Rich

Post by Rich » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:51 am

Not sure if you saw this thread: https://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtop ... 75&t=32269

I finally figured out how to use the RCE and made this post hoping to clear up a little confusion about the functionality of the RCE.

Hope it helps.

-Rich

emotive

Re: Remote Control Editor Works! Clearing up Confusion

Post by emotive » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:00 am

This kind of post may best belong in "miscellaneous".

sming
Steinberg Employee

Post by sming » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:23 am

trashdinner wrote:thx a lot SMing, I appreciate your explanations,
however, I thought the learn mode would be midi learn. I do have a MCU and
I like to use it, but I'm not gonna spend some time assigning parameters when I can just mouse click on the buttons :s
It would have been amazing to add midi learn so I could assign it to anything (I also have a midi keyboard with buttons and faders) It's cool anyways ;) thx.
Hi Trashdinner,

Thanks for your comment.

I see. Adding the MIDI learn for that would be a separate feature of itself for different use case. Let's hope that we do get the resource to extent it for this part in the future. I agree with you that it could be a very useful feature.

On the other hand, note that you don't have to reassign everything from scratch every time you access the plugin from your MCU for the current situation, you only need to do it once if the layout is not optimal in the first place. In other words, one can see that the RCE allows you to program how the plugin should look like on your physical gears. And in fact, many users who prefer to tweak their project with physical knobs, esp. for automation would benefit a lot from this, i.e. when automating two or more parameters simultaneously, which of course is not quite possible with a mouse. Have a try and you may discover something new ;-)

Thanks.

cheers
SMing
________________________________________________________________________________

Software Research Developer
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Check out Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!
cheers,
SMing

sming
Steinberg Employee

Post by sming » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:26 am

Rich wrote:Not sure if you saw this thread: https://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtop ... 81&t=32539

I finally figured out how to use the RCE and made this post hoping to clear up a little confusion about the functionality of the RCE.

Hope it helps.

-Rich
Hi Rich,

Thanks for sharing your successful experience and help in resolving the confusion of the feature. This is much appreciated. I'm glad that you did find it useful and it has somewhat improved your daily workflow ;-)
Enjoy it and again, thanks for your participation.
Last edited by sming on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers,
SMing

sming
Steinberg Employee

Post by sming » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:23 am

msy wrote: Yes, the BCR2000 and BCF2000 are the most sold MIDI-controllers in the world afaik.
They really should work with Remote Controller Editor.
Hi msy,

BCR2000 should work pretty well with the RCE if you switch it to Mackie Control Mode, where you could access the VST plugin control conveniently thru the standard workflow.

You can find more details thru the step-by-step walk thru here: https://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtop ... 81&t=32539
Last edited by sming on Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers,
SMing

sming
Steinberg Employee

Post by sming » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:07 pm

Hi Rich,

Thanks a lot for helping out on this to clear the confusion!
Glad that it works well for you and that you find it useful ;-)

cheers
SMing
________________________________________________________________________________

Hamburg, Germany
cheers,
SMing

Majic

Post by Majic » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:38 pm

im interested to know if this approach will finally work with Mackie Control C4 ??

been desperate to use this with Cubase for a while now.....

thanks

sming
Steinberg Employee

Post by sming » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:35 pm

Majic wrote:im interested to know if this approach will finally work with Mackie Control C4 ??

been desperate to use this with Cubase for a while now.....

thanks
Hi Majic,

If the C4 module can be used to control Cubase's VST plugins before this just like the MCU module, then it should work like described, as this property is the prerequisite.

Anyway, I just verified this with our test dept. It turns out that Mackie C4 has not been supported before just like the common Mackie compatible hardwares. For this, we apologize for the inconvenience. Thanks!

cheers
SMing

Hamburg, Germany
cheers,
SMing

trashdinner

Post by trashdinner » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:32 pm

Hi again,

I played with it more and you are right, the settings are saved and I just have to tweak it once. I'm starting to like this feature more now ;) is there any ways we can control the channel strip with an MCU? The only way I was able to do that is by adding a custom Panel that another user created and it works but it's not really intuitive and sexy ;)
we can use the RCE for the channel strip module, but I can't access those on my MCU. Let me know and thx again!

Seb

goyya76

Post by goyya76 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:10 pm

hi all, and thanks Sming for joining the discussion!

Just to sum up, i understand that RCE is a tool to rearrange/rename the parameters of a VST/VSTi (like a sort of evoluted "VSTparam" tool?) and that it works with a number of devices, listed in the nice tutorial from Sming...

For what concerns our feature-requests, am i right if i say that in their simpler implementation they consist in adding a "MIDI learn from external input" to the RCE plus the RCE commanding the currently focused window ? We all have our own view/wish about the functionality of an "extended" RCE, so if we'd all agree about a general direction for developments it would be nice...

On top of that, opening the RCE GUI trough a remote command (MIDI or keystroke, like we can do now if i remember well for the VST/VSTi GUI) would be essential in the view of a mouse-free control (sorry if it's already present and i missed that); also, you'd make happy all the owners of hw controllers with no LCD strips, who could see the layout of the selected VST/VSTi right above their controller!

Ciao and thanks,
Goyya :)

Majic

Post by Majic » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:15 am

ok thanks for the reply.

i'll keep an eye on the forum for more ideas on MIDI vst controllers.

while we have your attention.

FX channels chains...... can we get those,

also it would be nice to process channels with presets from any vst.trackpresets

thanks

majic

sming
Steinberg Employee

Post by sming » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:55 am

Majic wrote:
while we have your attention.

FX channels chains...... can we get those,

also it would be nice to process channels with presets from any vst.trackpresets

thanks

majic
Hi Majic,

Thanks for letting us aware of your need and wish.

While we developers do have certain influence occasionally, most of the important decisions on features or products are essentially made by the team in charge as well as managers across different departments. Nonetheless, I am sure that my fellow colleagues are following the forum from time to time to understand your needs, despite the fact that they seldom reply personally. Anyway, I will forward your wish accordingly. Please be aware that you could make your feature request officially under this specific thread here: https://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=182
Thanks.

cheers
SMing

Hamburg, Germany
cheers,
SMing

sming
Steinberg Employee

Post by sming » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:23 am

Thanks for all the precious comments and efforts in consolidating a nice concept for the potential extension.

Since most of the product owners and decision makers would usually pay more attention in the dedicated "Feature Requests and Suggestions" section, I suggest you guys to open a topic there and discuss the potential extension in the mentioned thread group: https://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=182

Again, many thanks for your suggestions and contributions.

cheers
SMing

Hamburg, Germany
cheers,
SMing

sming
Steinberg Employee

Post by sming » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:30 am

trashdinner wrote:Hi again,

I played with it more and you are right, the settings are saved and I just have to tweak it once. I'm starting to like this feature more now ;) is there any ways we can control the channel strip with an MCU? The only way I was able to do that is by adding a custom Panel that another user created and it works but it's not really intuitive and sexy ;)
we can use the RCE for the channel strip module, but I can't access those on my MCU. Let me know and thx again!

Seb
Hi Seb,

Great that you do find it useful after all :D

As far as I know, they haven't extend the channel strip capability for the GR setup yet, which is a pity. Yup, you are right, my colleagues told me that one could access the Chan.Strip controls thru the user panel (custom panel) setup. Looks like this is the only workaround for the time being. So, you are on the right track.

cheers
SMing

Hamburg, Germany
cheers,
SMing

Pixie

Post by Pixie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:48 pm

Rich, thanks for this explanation. Even after the guys from SB explained it, I couldn't see myself using this feature, but it turns out I just didn't correctly understand what it does.

I've never used my Houston for anything more than volume, panning and transport, but now suddenly this seems to very worthwhile exploring.
|MSI X58 Pro Intel i7 4096 Mb Ram|RME Fireface 800+Steinberg MR816x+ART TubeOpto 8|Cubase 7.5.20 |Windows 8.1 32-bit|Korg Microkontrol|Steinberg Houston|

Backbeat

Post by Backbeat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:47 pm

So, you were right : I didn't look enough at what all the generic remote feature is offering... :oops:

Thanks a lot for this tip : without you, I wouldn't have take a further look on all this. A typical example of how much this forum can be useful. :D
Yes this Forum is very useful, without it I wouldn´t be able to make my Generic Remote Integration.

Just a Quick Tip:
Open the Generic Remote xml with a Editor outside Cubase (Notepad++ for Example).
The you can copy the Banks and rename them .
That is a lot easier, than do it inside the Generic Remote Editor.
Of course you have to use the generic remote editor to assign new controls to the new banks...
DAW 1: Win 7 Ult.64 , i7 5820K 32GB Ram, MB Gigabyte X99 UD3 Bios F6 ,SSD 850 EVO 500GB ,2x 3TB HDD, RME UFX+Remote, Gap Pre 73 Mk2, M-Audio DSM 3, Neumann U87Ai , T.Bone SC450 , Mackie Control Pro, BCR2000 , Kore Controller , FCB1010 , MPK 88 , NI Maschine/KK S61 , Adobe Audition 3 , NI Komplete 11U , jBridge etc.

DAW 2: Win 10 Pro 64, i7 2600 , 16GB Ram ,SSD 840EVO 256GB, 2x 2TB HDD , Mackie Control Pro, BCR 2000, FCB 1010 , M-Audio DSM 3 , NS10M , Nubert AW400 Sub ,Maschine Mk1/KK S61 , RME Babyface, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 , SPL Goldmike , BPM CR73 , AKG Perception 400

MySound

Backbeat

Post by Backbeat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:02 pm

This Remote Control Editor is just for new arranging VST parameters on the parameter pages.
The workflow is the same as in the last cubase versions.
So you have to press instrument or the button that accesses the insert plugin parameters.

It would be so useful if we´d have a new assignmnt for Plugin Parameters on the controldevices (Mackie Control) so that the Remote Control Editor is focused window controlled.

For example you have an assignement, thas uses the standard Mackie Implementation that is known in Cubase and a second Page that uses the Mackie Faders and the VPots with the Buttons (SOLO/MUTE/SELECT/REC) for the Remote Control Editor and the Parameters of the Plugineditor that comes into Windowsfocus.

RCE in this C7 state is useless for me because it only uses the VPots for parameter control and i must switch manual to the parameters.
With my mouse I'am much faster.....

MySound

Return to “Older Cubase versions”