Page 7 of 11

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:07 pm
by Makumbaria
m203 wrote:Think I figured out my crashing issue. A mouse driver for a mouse I no longer had installed. :?

So yeah, I retract my earlier rant and apologize to all who had to suffer it.

Next time I'll just post a question. Think I woulda learned by now

SO FAR no crashes since mouse driver uninstall
Yeah, an apparently unrelated software driver can cause a lot of problems sometimes! It is great that everything is fine to your system now.

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:43 pm
by sonicstate
It would be nice if Cubase was more tolerant of such unrelated driver problems. I had many crashes, and the reason was that I had both MME and DX drivers enabled on my midi devices. After I disabled half of drivers, all is fine, no more crashes. But I think Cubase should be writen in such a way not to crash in such situations.

There are DAWs that do not crash so much. And there are those who do crash a lot too. All DAWs work nicely in perfect environment, but very few work fine in most situations (Reason does, and Ableton is quite strong standing too).

I'm sure much could be done to improve stability of Cubase in not perfect environment. But I guess it will never make it in release, seems they have too many other things to do. So the only way is to set up our own system in such a way that Cubase feels good on it.

It is like buying a car, then it breaks, and dealer says "aha, you were driving above recommended 90km/h. No wonder it broke..." Similar with Cubase "aha, you didn't uninstall the old mouse driver" or "aha, you have both MME and DX midi enabled. No, no, no, must not do that, no wonder it crashed..." Well, how in a world could one know that old mouse driver, or double midi drivers will crash it? What am I, a psychic? Cubase should be programmed in such a way to survive through such situations. Or there should be a separate utility to check for all the known things that crash Cubase, and report suggestions, like "uninstall mouse driver" or "you have double midi drivers, disable half of them".

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:24 am
by JMCecil
sonicstate wrote: I'm sure much could be done to improve stability of Cubase in not perfect environment.
You assume too much. You and I have no idea what makes Cubase sensitive to certain issues. There are tremendous number of implementation details that are entirely different between the various DAWs. You can't confuse Cubase and Reason. They simply are not comparable environments. And, I have a few friends who have given up on Ableton because of the constant crashing.

I'm not defending Cubase as much as saying your assumption is completely without basis.

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:00 am
by jose7822
m203 wrote:Think I figured out my crashing issue. A mouse driver for a mouse I no longer had installed. :?

So yeah, I retract my earlier rant and apologize to all who had to suffer it.

Next time I'll just post a question. Think I woulda learned by now

SO FAR no crashes since mouse driver uninstall

Awesome! Glad to hear everything is working for you.

BTW, respects for coming back and apologizing to everyone. Not a lot of people have the cojones to admit their mistakes.

Take care!

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:43 am
by Elektrobolt
sonicstate wrote:It would be nice if Cubase was more tolerant of such unrelated driver problems. I had many crashes, and the reason was that I had both MME and DX drivers enabled on my midi devices. After I disabled half of drivers, all is fine, no more crashes. But I think Cubase should be writen in such a way not to crash in such situations.

There are DAWs that do not crash so much. And there are those who do crash a lot too. All DAWs work nicely in perfect environment, but very few work fine in most situations (Reason does, and Ableton is quite strong standing too).

I'm sure much could be done to improve stability of Cubase in not perfect environment. But I guess it will never make it in release, seems they have too many other things to do. So the only way is to set up our own system in such a way that Cubase feels good on it.

It is like buying a car, then it breaks, and dealer says "aha, you were driving above recommended 90km/h. No wonder it broke..." Similar with Cubase "aha, you didn't uninstall the old mouse driver" or "aha, you have both MME and DX midi enabled. No, no, no, must not do that, no wonder it crashed..." Well, how in a world could one know that old mouse driver, or double midi drivers will crash it? What am I, a psychic? Cubase should be programmed in such a way to survive through such situations. Or there should be a separate utility to check for all the known things that crash Cubase, and report suggestions, like "uninstall mouse driver" or "you have double midi drivers, disable half of them".
One has to debate the difference between the computers of persons experiencing so many problems with an application vs. persons that experience very few problems with that same application.

I think that too often people has too much crap on their machines (I mean this in general, so don't get your underwear in a twist) and over time software accumulation in a computer can easily cause problems. E.g. sometimes when software is installed and then uninstalled, things from it linger.

Not that I think the analogy with the car was very convincing, but one can draw a similar picture here too. If you never clean and perform maintenance on your car, it will eventually drive like a dirty old beat-up POS. And similarly, once you muck up the transmission, it won't work properly without major attention. A person that drive their car as recommended, often enjoy the car for longer periods of time without interruption.

After all, a computer is a universal tool, unlike most any other tool in the past. We are just beginning to get a grip on organizing software properly and so for anyone to say that they have a "clean" machine, is pretty much always debatable.

Also, about the DAWs that don't crash so much, that could easily be contributed as coincidental if they also cannot do as much as another one. All software has strengths and weaknesses. How many times do you get a BSOD anymore? I haven't seen one in ages, and I mean ages. Doesn't mean there aren't any, but some really ought to ask the question, why do *I* continue to see them again and again?

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:26 am
by John Purser
I agree with Elektrobolt x100

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:01 pm
by steveschizoid
Perhaps.

But it has to be annoying to pay $150 for an update only to discover that it will not run on your system, or has problems executing tasks that previously posed no difficulties.

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:47 pm
by NorthWood MediaWorks
steveschizoid wrote:Perhaps.

But it has to be annoying to pay $150 for an update only to discover that it will not run on your system, or has problems executing tasks that previously posed no difficulties.
Perhaps annoying yes, but a reason to give up? - no, you just have to work through it to reach stability.

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:25 pm
by m203
Grrrr. 32 bit version still crashing. 64 bit version seems fine. Grrrrr

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:36 pm
by dark blue man
m203 wrote:Grrrr. 32 bit version still crashing. 64 bit version seems fine. Grrrrr
Is this in Cubase x64? And are you using jBridge for the 32 bit plugs?

jBridge is the only wrapper/bridge I've found that works relatively well. The Cubase bridge is notorious for crashing.

Edit: Oh, I see, you mean 32 bit Cubase. Scrub that?

Edit_2: Hang on. Is Cubase 32 bit trying to access your x64 plug ins?

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:04 pm
by nietz
I'm 100% sure it won't fix the graphics problem for me. Meanwhile the Ableton 9 Beta works like a charm! :)

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:22 pm
by Jurij
Halo guys, my tempo track have the tempo line in grey like tempo track background, mostly of the times is invisble and hard to identify, have you the same pronblems? I use the tempo track so hard becuase the orchestra click. thanks :D Im on Cubase 7.01

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:25 pm
by mozizo
Jurij wrote:Halo guys, my tempo track have the tempo line in grey like tempo track background, mostly of the times is invisble and hard to identify, have you the same pronblems? I use the tempo track so hard becuase the orchestra click. thanks :D Im on Cubase 7.01[/quotthe s
Jurij wrote:Halo guys, my tempo track have the tempo line in grey like tempo track background, mostly of the times is invisble and hard to identify, have you the same pronblems? I use the tempo track so hard becuase the orchestra click. thanks :D Im on Cubase 7.01
the same here

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:45 pm
by TabSel

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:23 am
by batuer
TO Helge Vogt:

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... 84&t=30365
Many users complained the variaudio issue, but we don't see the fix. No fixes for Variaudio in 7.0.2?

Because of variaudio issues I still use cubase 6.5.

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:03 am
by Jurij
done now.....thanks

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:34 am
by droutloaf
batuer wrote:TO Helge Vogt:

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... 84&t=30365
Many users complained the variaudio issue, but we don't see the fix. No fixes for Variaudio in 7.0.2?

Because of variaudio issues I still use cubase 6.5.

Helge actually acknowledged it finally!!!!! :)

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:32 pm
by batuer
droutloaf wrote:
batuer wrote:TO Helge Vogt:

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... 84&t=30365
Many users complained the variaudio issue, but we don't see the fix. No fixes for Variaudio in 7.0.2?

Because of variaudio issues I still use cubase 6.5.

Helge actually acknowledged it finally!!!!! :)

Where?

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:19 pm
by jose7822
batuer wrote:
droutloaf wrote:
batuer wrote:TO Helge Vogt:

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... 84&t=30365
Many users complained the variaudio issue, but we don't see the fix. No fixes for Variaudio in 7.0.2?

Because of variaudio issues I still use cubase 6.5.

Helge actually acknowledged it finally!!!!! :)

Where?
Look again. It's there (don't be lazy :) )

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:20 pm
by JMCecil
batuer wrote:
droutloaf wrote:
batuer wrote:TO Helge Vogt:

http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... 84&t=30365
Many users complained the variaudio issue, but we don't see the fix. No fixes for Variaudio in 7.0.2?

Because of variaudio issues I still use cubase 6.5.

Helge actually acknowledged it finally!!!!! :)

Where?
In the linked thread.

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:06 pm
by Buzthafuzz
Graham_Simmonds wrote:I too am very disappointed that the "hidden channels" Mackie control issue has not been resolved in 7.02. Considering it has already been mentioned many times in this thread, I am surprised that it was not further up the bug fix priority list and did not make it in to 7.02.
I am very disapointed too that this problem is not solved in 7.0.2... How could I have a version 6.5 to work with, waiting that this problem is fixed?

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:45 am
by dbombay1
AlakaLazlo wrote:
Backbeat wrote:Did you forget the Mackie Problem to reflect the channels like the Mixer on the screen does?

Very disappointing!
+1 :?
+1 :( :(

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:13 am
by trashdinner
+1 for the mackie problem

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:50 am
by barybary
dbombay1 wrote:
AlakaLazlo wrote:
Backbeat wrote:Did you forget the Mackie Problem to reflect the channels like the Mixer on the screen does?

Very disappointing!
+1 :?
+1 :( :(
+1 :( :( :( :(

Re: Cubase 7.0.2 / Cubase Artist 7.0.2 announcement

Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:03 am
by Graham_Simmonds
I agree with a previous poster about computers filling up with software that is detrimental to performance and stability.

I have a rule these days that, save for internet browsing, only music related software is installed on the machine. No Email, games, virus checkers etc., Also if you demo a plugin or other software, then remember to remove it if you don't buy it (also remembering to remove it from any project before you uninstall it).

In this way, I minimise the risk of unused software (or drivers) interfering with the stability of my set up. Then when I get a situation where I encounter problems, I can work out pretty easily what the issue is ("what's the last thing I changed")

My own experience with Cubase 6.5 & 7 is that it has become increasingly able to withstand rogue plugins and will give you the option to save your project if problems occur. I don't think I have lost any work yet.

Something I look out for, particularly as I use EastWest software a lot is that it does not play nice with a variety of other plugins. I am particularly careful to note when mixtures of plugins within Cubase cause issues and try to separate them. To do this I use Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 and put the "naughty" plugs in that. I get real stability and can really load up the samples when I want to.

Hope this helps people.

Graham