Old or new mixer better?

Title says it all.

Mike

I like the new one better for it´s features and potential, but because it´s so slow, laggy and buggy, it´s totally unusable for me. So the old one is still definitely better and the only one I can use.

And yeah, I have 12-core Mac Pro + 16GB of RAM. 6.5.4 and 7.0.2 installed side by side. 7.0.2 is just terribly slow and laggy.

While the new mixer certainly needs some fixes and improvements (which I’m sure it will get in due time), I vastly prefer it to the old one. The channel visibility and zones alone are enough to win my vote, and there are so many other advances. For me the pluses outweigh the minuses right now and that ratio should improve over time.

Another fan of the old one, here.

Some good ideas in V7, but ergonomics are (currently) worse.

And again … the traditional workslow enhancements !
:neutral_face:

Jan

I like the older mixer better. It’s faster, simpler, easier… But of course, if I was making music with 6-8 tracks, I wouldn’t complain.

Anyway, for me, more important than the mixconsole is the editing window for audio channels. (in fact all channels other than midi)

Especially the first line of that window is so garbled, I lose focus of what I’m making at that moment. It’s good to see new functions there, like browsing through channels, seeing where that channel outputs to, etc, but maybe some more thought could be put there, so it can be simpler. (The cliché comes to mind: iphone wouldn’t be a success if it had more than one button down the screen)

The easiest solution to the old/new mixer discussion is to put them both in Cubase 7. But maybe that will eat even more resources… :confused:

Sonic

As an observer (waiting for the demo to try it) it seems they maybe took the legitmate criticisms of the old mixer and overreacted and tried to do too much. However … that’s a peanut gallery impression since I haven’t laid hands on it yet.

All I ever mostly wanted was full screen, resizable, sends and inserts across the console at the same time, and moving mixer channels at will. They could have left the graphics just like they were and I would have been (2 years ago or so anyway) happy enough with those changes.

I haven’t tried to sort it all out, but I wonder, percentage wise, how many of the changes is stuff people actually asked for?

The NEW mixer is far better than the old one. Will NEVER go back. In fact it is one of the best improvements in the CB series up til now. My workflow is much faster than with the old one. Like with every new program you need to dig into it and LEARN it. Can´t expect it to be in your fingers when you open the program. It took me approx two hours. That time I have later saved by the better workflow.

So what is better with the new mixer?

First the channels can be arranged in groups and save as templates. The sequence within the group is also easier to set then before. For larger project this is a great time saver. No more time wasting scrolling at the bottom to find the correct channel.

Secondly the re-seizing.

Third the pictures. I am surprised on how much time I save finding the correct channel with an added picture. Logic has had it for years but only on the tracks. It is so more useful in the mixer.

Fourth the notepad. Adds even more information that makes life easier when mixing.

I would also guess that if you use SB included plugs you would love the new user interface of the eq and the strip.

Sorry all you dissatisfied guys: You have not really taken the time - yet - you will. Love to discuss the same topic a year from now.

Hi

I don’t see any big advantage with the new mixer - but, it’s a matter of time to get familiar with the new functionality and finally I will surely use it.

Cheers

I prefer the the Mix Console; once it is fine tuned it will be even better.

I think MC and C7 overall, is more geared toward’s being mouse free and certainly benefits from a more complex controller setup.

However, SB need to address some of the missing attributes and key commands and then I will be very happy.

I’m definately a fan of the old mixer. Mix Console is full of great ideas but lots of them are not really sophisticated.

• much more clicking (double click to open plugin guis)
  • less overview (pre/post states)
  • need of vertical scrolling with good chance to change parameters accidentially
  • inadequate optical separation of channels
  • hard readability of inserts + levels (names layer numerical values)
  • distracting animations
  • insufficient display of selected channels from bottom to top
  • incomplete key commands
  • sluggish feel
  • waste of screen space (rack bars, hi/lo cut filters)

The list goes on…

Sorry Rumdrum, I have taken the time. Tried to like it actually. As it is, Mix Console provides all functionalities to mix, some cool new things I could have use for in the future (Agents) but all for the price of speed. Some functions, like that extra nice, undocumented ‘jump to routing destination’ with ctrl + click are gone. Slow… Possibility to open plugin guis in FX channels from any channels’ send: gone. And those are just the things that come to my mind within one minute.

If Mix Console has speeded up your workflow, you probably never learned to use the old one :mrgreen: (sorry, had to say it).
It’s not our job to start a war of new vs. old. It’s Steinberg’s job to provide a software that’s ‘better’ than previous versions. What we’ve got with Cubase 7 is a new surface (basically welcome) and loss of not-so-cool-looking but important small features (unacceptable).

I love the new Mixer! As soon as they can isolate and fix the CPU spikes I’ll start using 7 again! :slight_smile: That’s the biggest feature I miss since having to roll back to 6.5.

That was a really genius feature. I really miss it. Those kinds of tricks make difference in speed.

I hope they forgot to put it…

It’s the start of something good, I think.

It still needs a ton of work though, especially in graphics performance. It also needs a decent resolution screen all to itself. 1920x1200 makes a big difference.

Until they fix the key commands and workspace functionality I’m sticking with 6.5. I need to make music not mouse click on the mixer all day long.

I Did, and wold of Luv’d an Undo Button on it. Perfect :smiling_imp: :ugeek:

No. New one’s far better, a few creases need ironing out and improvements will come once it’s bedded in a bit, but I think it a vast improvement and I haven’t even got into the nitty-gritty yet.

I particularly like the way I can navigate with the keyboard (makes recording yourself so much easier), the new rack features such as gate, transients control, tape sat, etc, speak for themselves, the new eq features are just fab to work with.

It just requires a bit of re-learning and adjustment of work-flow but if we let that become an issue we’ll never get anywhere.

Big pat on the back to the dev team!

No

No

I love everything about the new 7 version the mixer is great so much better than the old one. It felt a bit clumsy at first but now I have got my head round it I love how fast I can get what I want without scrolling for ever and the fact with one click I can close or open any group of channels is brill. There is still a few bugs with colouring the mixer when trying to change it the box flashes like crazy not letting me pic the right colour or it will freeze. Still like any new big upgrade they will get it right in the next few months.

The flexibility is nice, but the performance cost is to high. I might get used to it but for now the old one was better. And they have not solved the problem I had with the old one.