External USB hard disk problem

Hi Guys,

I found this post as I was having the same problem.

At first I thought the project was corrupted. It worked on the HD but not on the USB drive. I have done a lot of work in the past exclusively on a WD My Passport USB3.0. I’ve never had a problem.

The problem I am seeing/hearing is missing tracks on playback, lots pops and hissing noises and disk cache indictor on the transport acting very erratically with lots of redline peaks.

So I did some testing. My test project had 11 active tracks of audio and a midi drum track. The disk load averages about 7MB/sec.

I have five different USB3.0 drives and copied the project to each. Two WD My Passport drive. One WD desktop drive. And two Seagate desktop drives. I tried various combinations of cables and drives. In the end it was only drive that had a problem. The other works without issue. I tried defragging and optimizing the drive and it continued to fail.

The drive is a Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Drive 1DXAP3-500 3 TB

So although this drive appears to working, there’s something marginal about it, or some kind of compatibility issue between and Cubase. (Using Artist 7.0.7 build 2277)

I’ve always had a good experience with the WD My Passport drive and get my clients to purchase one for backups.

BTW On PCs the USB 3 connectors are blue. If you are using a black connector your will not be running at USB 3 speeds.