ASIO spikes

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
Xenu

Re: ASIO spikes

Post by Xenu »

Deactivated Hyperthreading - Problem was getting worse.. :/

Can't find this "list"! :/

My Proccessor: AMD Phenom II X4 970 Prozessor Black Edition (Sockel AM3, 14GHz, 6MB L2 + L3 Cache)

My Motherboard: Asus M4A87TD EVO Mainboard Sockel AMD AM3 DDR3 Speicher ATX

There should be no problem beause of this I think - I said it 10 times before. Cubase 5 worked fine....

Crotchety

Post by Crotchety »

Xenu wrote:Can't find this "list"! :/
I saw somewhere on I think Intel's site a list of chipsets that were okay with a particular CPU. Wondered if AMD might have similar. Anyway, probably getting into irrelevant ideas now, I was under the impression you had a new machine, and probably best I surrender now. All the best, C
Instruments: Piano/keys, Guitar, Mandolin, Vocal
Current Sounds: Cactus Juice (@Soundcloud) - Former Sounds: Ask Murt (@MySpace)

Every day's a skool day...

synthetic

Post by synthetic »

I'm also seeing this issue on Mac OSX. Should I start a new thread?

Cubase 6.0.2 (32-bit mode, 48k projects), Mac Pro 8-core 2.26GHz (79% idle in stop), 24GB RAM (over 50% available), SSL Madi Xtreme 64 interface card. I usually start the day at 128 latency but by the final bounce of the day I need to be at 768 or 1024. Running Vienna Ensemble Pro as well.

Xenu

Re: ASIO spikeshttp://www.steinberg.net/forum/posting.php?mode=r

Post by Xenu »

@crotchery: Thanks for your help and your patience man. I hope Steinberg will fix this problem soon.. :(

@synthetic: ASIO spikes are ASIO spikes :/.. A problem shared is a problem halved! Stay here if you want! So your problem occured with C6 or did you tried an earlier version before? You got 24GB RAM! Why the hell are you using the 32Bit Version? Maybe you are lucky and the problem will be solved with the 64Bit Version?
I'm fighting now 2 Weeks with this Spike-problem.. It's getting me mad.. Maybe I'll try C6 etc. with my Macbook pro but for now I'm not in the mood because my main-system will be a PC.

Cheers..

hungaristan

Post by hungaristan »

hungaristan wrote:Hi,

I'm just chiming in to say that although I started this thread and later wrote that my problem got sorted out by splitting the load between using two Kore 2 instances instead of using just one, something is still wrong here. I can't be more specific right now, because I had no time to do more thorough tests to figure out what exactly has to be changed to regenerate the problem, but it does occur from time to time. Once it appears, the only way to get rid of it is to relaunch Cubase. It's not the power scheme and it definitely started with v6. I'll get back when I find something more specific.
Ok, now I have something:

I have a project with tons of UAD2 Quad and PoCo 6000 plugins, which runs with no hiccups. All of a sudden the Group editing assignment fell apart and I had to reassign the takes of a multitrack drum recording. (see my other thread at http://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopi ... 19&t=10174)

After fixing this the project can't be played back at all, because of the ASIO spikes. I still have the original project, which still works fine. The two projects are nearly identical, the number and position of audio tracks and plugins is exactly the same, the only difference is that the takes got reassigned by Ctrl+G at the last choruses of the song. The project otherwise doesn't show any sign of corruption. More than annoying...
endre-enerd.com

Xenu

Post by Xenu »

Sry! I don't got the point! Where's the coherency between the ASIO Overload and the group editing feature? So you mean it was a bug because this group editing feature messed up your drum Tracks and caused ASIO Spikes?? :?:

This ASIO-thing is getting me mad! :/

hungaristan

Post by hungaristan »

Xenu wrote:Where's the coherency between the ASIO Overload and the group editing feature? So you mean it was a bug because this group editing feature messed up your drum Tracks and caused ASIO Spikes?? :?:
That's exactly what happened.
endre-enerd.com

Xenu

Post by Xenu »

Congratulations for the detection of your problem man! I wish my problem will be solved soon.. :/

lbratlan

Post by lbratlan »

Hi all,

I have now updated all that is possible to update on my computer, computer(motherboard,cpu++) cubase, vst`s, vsti`s, interface, and so on. I have even tried to “downgrade” the 1394 driver as mentioned above. My computer is clean and it is optimized for audio, and have allways been.
Conclution: still heavily spiking.
-When I turn OFF all my VST plugs in a project and leave the VSTI`s ON, it still spikes.
-When I turn OFF only the VST instruments and leave the VST`s ON, the spiking goes away. It seems that HalionSonic and EW Play (goliath) are the ones that affect the spiking most.

VST running: UAD plugins
VST`is Running: Superiour 2, EW Goliath, HalionSonic

…but as mentioned by others earlier, things used to work before 6.0.0-6.0.2.

Anyways, thanks all for helping.

-L

lbratlan

Post by lbratlan »

this needs a bump...

Xenu

Post by Xenu »

bump

MarkCST

Post by MarkCST »

Right I have the same problem, Asio spiking.

And for me its a simple case that Cubase 6.0.2 is the issue.

1) I can load an old AI4 project, which in AI4, on the same equipment (exactly) works fine, as soon as its loaded (12 tracks of audio) into C6, the Asio Spikes. I don't even have to press play, you can see the Asio is in the red permanently. Bug! No excuses its a bug... Like I Said works happily in AI4.

2) If I can record more than 5-6 tracks, in a NEW project, of audio without spiking I am lucky (in C6), but in AI4 I have lots of 12-16 audio track projects which never spike, despite heavy processing with inbuilt VST effects.

My only way around all this, is to continually mix/bounce tracks down to a managable number of tracks with no effects on them (I can get to about 12 audio tracks with no effects on them).

Its a bug. Its not a feature.

Anyone defending having to go round what was a perfectly servicable and workable AI4 system (hardware/software), with perfectly working projects and then have to tweak system performance for Version 6 is having a laugh. Bug, simple as. Performance is terrible in C6. I am so dissappointed I upgraded now :cry:

Mokus

Post by Mokus »

I just read through this thread, and followed the advice from the NI tweaking vista link. I wanted to post, just to let people know the outcome.

I just recently finished a remix, and was able to complete it simply because the mix was almost done, and the few changes were slight enough, that even though the entire song would not play through without crackles, I could manage the few fixes I needed. The problem with the crackles was really annoying though, and I wanted to find a way to solve the issue.

Logged into the forum today, and found this thread.

Turning on the Steinberg Power Plan reduced my cpu spikes by more than half. I didn't even realize this was an option, as I never needed it with previous versions. Also, updated my BIOS and chipset.

Finally, there is a hotfix from MS listed in the article, and I downloaded and installed that as well.

Now, the mix is playing back perfectly with no pops or crackles. I could only get the latency down to 23ms, but as this is the final mixing phase, this is not an issue for me. The song was entirely unlistenable yesterday, regardless of how high I set the buffer. This is really good news! Thanks!
'for the Jedi, it is time to eat as well'

Xenu

Post by Xenu »

@MarkCST: I feel with you.. Got the same problem.. :/

@Mokus: Congratulations! 23ms? That's really high. Impossible to track for me @ this latency.. It's a pity that this is not the solution for my problem because I'm using a Firaface 400..

Mokus

Post by Mokus »

Xenu wrote:
@Mokus: Congratulations! 23ms? That's really high. Impossible to track for me @ this latency..
Yes, 23ms is too high for tracking. However, for mixing, 23ms is not a problem for me. Also, if I'm tracking, it would most likely be towards the beginning of a project. My latency is about 8.9 ms at 256. This still seems like it should be lower somehow, but it's usable.
'for the Jedi, it is time to eat as well'

vinark

Post by vinark »

Xenu wrote:@ JHP - I did everything from your mentioned site.. The only strange thing was the networking monitor (look @ Picture) where I can see that C6 and the VST Bridge sending some Data threw a network which don't exists. That's really strange because I don't got any LAN-Adapter or something installed - Everything has been deactivated, even in BIOS/Device Manager. I'm using the internet threw another computer.

Here are some interesting Screenshots:
I think cubase and the vstbridge communicate over the internal network. Can´t be 100% sure without confirmation by steinberg, but this would explain the traffic and would be 100% normal.
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Cubase 10 latest
Q9550@4Ghz 8Gb
RME hdsp9652 ADI-8AE
uad1 and liquidmix
Win10 (win7 for older projects)

Rev2010

Post by Rev2010 »

I'm currently using my Mackie Onyx Firewire mixer (the original release one) with 64 buffers and have use tons of VST synths and effect plugins with no pops/crackles whatsoever unless I load Native Instruments Reaktor - which is a well known issue that they have stated will be fixed in the 5.6.1 update. I didn't need to do the legacy firewire thingy for my interface but have read it's pertinent for some older firewire devices to function properly. I find it interesting this issue is reported to happen even just using Halion by itself. Has any submitted a bug report? Or is this issue not exactly reproduceable across every machine?

Rev.

martin_rawlins

Post by martin_rawlins »

Sorry I can't be any help but just want to add my +1 to this problem. For me Cubase 6 on Mac spikes awfully with Addictive Drums. My favourite VSTi hardly works!

franksha

Post by franksha »

Ok here's my workaround, not quite sure if it will help out everyone but it's perfectly sold this problem for me. The tirck is quite simple and you have to play with a bit with the CPU cores.
I'm on an i7 2600K with no overclocking, HT enabled. I've installed Win7 64bit, the correct diver for my old SB Audigy platinumEx2. The first core (core 0) is running on a relative high load with windows installed only. Nothing else. First, check whether your CPU's first core is loaded high or not in the task manager. If you see that it persists and ASIO usage is overloaded set the affinity of the processor. Right click on cubase.exe - set affinity and choose all the processor cores but core 0. Load the project and check if cubase plays it smoothly. I'm using a very high number of Kontakt instruments and after I've done this trick ASIO usage went back to absolute normal with a very low buffer setting. Also you don't have to set the affinity every time you start up Cubase - StartAffinity is your friend. Put this little program to your desired place on your hard drive and edit Cubase's shortcut to start it with the core IDs you've set. Hope it helps you and everyone who ran into this problem.

I hope Steinberg will investigate this problem very soon. It seems that if core 0 is loaded high Cubase can't deal with this and working erratically. Please check this out!

vinark

Post by vinark »

Can you check what is causing this load on core 1? All my cores are at 0% but I am on a different architecture (Q9550) and OS (XP64).
Cubase 10 latest
Q9550@4Ghz 8Gb
RME hdsp9652 ADI-8AE
uad1 and liquidmix

Xenu

Post by Xenu »

I've tried that affinity-thingy 3 weeks ago.. Was not the cure for my problem..

Cheers

franksha

Post by franksha »

vinark wrote:Can you check what is causing this load on core 1? All my cores are at 0% but I am on a different architecture (Q9550) and OS (XP64).
I tried to figure out but no luck. The thing is that it's a new PC, I've used the same CPU as yours and this problem did not pop up. I guess the problem lies between the motherboard/CPU/Windows triad. It's immediately there when only Windows installed.

Hope that someone will wind a perfect solution for this, it's really annoying. This affinity tweak works perfectly in my case but it's not a real solution.

vinark

Post by vinark »

It must be possible to find out through process explorer, taskmanager or something similar. If not start disabling as many devices as possible in device manager or kill as many processes in taskmanager until you find the cause. If you can´t find it, it could also be a bios setting, a autostart program for motherboard monitoring or even a virus. I don´t think cubase can ever take a load already there into account when distributing the threads. If you can´t work it out, ask for help at dawbench.com or cubendo.com.

oh and don´t forget the latest bios.
Cubase 10 latest
Q9550@4Ghz 8Gb
RME hdsp9652 ADI-8AE
uad1 and liquidmix

Crotchety

Post by Crotchety »

Instruments: Piano/keys, Guitar, Mandolin, Vocal
Current Sounds: Cactus Juice (@Soundcloud) - Former Sounds: Ask Murt (@MySpace)

Every day's a skool day...

lbratlan

Post by lbratlan »

ok, finally the spiking in my case is gone! At least the one project i treid out seems to work normally now...
Solution? I downloaded PLAY 3, and the spiking was gone, hopefully forever(crossing fingers).

Hope this might help others with the same problem.

Return to “Older Cubase versions”