ASIO spikes

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
Rev2010

Re: ASIO spikes

Post by Rev2010 »

lbratlan wrote:Solution? I downloaded PLAY 3, and the spiking was gone, hopefully forever(crossing fingers).
Would be much more helpful if you could elaborate more on what this Play 3 is. Googling it gives very generic responses. I have no spiking except in Reaktor, which will be fixed in the next update, but I'm still curious anyhow.

Rev.

vinark

Post by vinark »

sample player by east west
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Cubase 10 latest
Q9550@4Ghz 8Gb
RME hdsp9652 ADI-8AE
uad1 and liquidmix
Win10 (win7 for older projects)

lbratlan

Post by lbratlan »

Rev2010 wrote:
lbratlan wrote:Solution? I downloaded PLAY 3, and the spiking was gone, hopefully forever(crossing fingers).
Would be much more helpful if you could elaborate more on what this Play 3 is. Googling it gives very generic responses. I have no spiking except in Reaktor, which will be fixed in the next update, but I'm still curious anyhow.

Rev.

Sorry, the PLAY3 engine is as mentioned above the sample player for EastWest Quantum Leap sample libraries.

donaeis

Post by donaeis »

Hi all!

I know the problem IS Cubase 6. I have proof!

I've installed on the same system C5 (5.5) and C6 (6.0.4). I've downloaded the DAW bench (http://www.dawbench.com/benchmarks.htm) and loaded the basic project.

Cubase 6 don't go as far as C5 goes. Same machine, same installation, same Cubase config, same system.

-> Cubase 6 IS "guilty" and I don't know what to do to open projects that were doing just fine in C5 and that are spiking with C6

Any idea Steinberg???

mb

Post by mb »

donaeis wrote:Hi all!

I've installed on the same system C5 (5.5) and C6 (6.0.4). I've downloaded the DAW bench (http://www.dawbench.com/benchmarks.htm) and loaded the basic project.

Cubase 6 don't go as far as C5 goes. Same machine, same installation, same Cubase config, same system.

-> Cubase 6 IS "guilty" and I don't know what to do to open projects that were doing just fine in C5 and that are spiking with C6

Any idea Steinberg???
Hi all, I updated from 5.5 to 6.0.5 today and I have exactly the same behavior. Projects which work fine on 5.5 have spikes on 6.0.5 - this is very disappointing and makes the update unusable. Is there any solution found by anyone or by Steinberg until now? Or do we need to wait for the next minor update which hopefully fixes this problem.

Conman

Post by Conman »

donaeis wrote:Hi all!

Any idea Steinberg???

I am certain too. The same happens here.

Oh! Sorry. that was Cubase VST and I've been asleep since.
Asus P6T deluxe; Core i7 920 2.67gHz; 12gig ram; Win7 Pro SP1; Roland Octa-Capture usb inteface; Cubase 6; and no 3rd party additions couple of hard drives PSU 750watt; NVidia GE Force 9600.
"An entrepreneur accepts that the world is the way that it is and goes about changing it rather than waiting for someone to make it easy for them."

tmasten

Post by tmasten »

Spiking here with 6.5 as well. I am running Cubase 6.5 on a custom i7 quad with 16gb and SSD HD. I am using my fire face 800 on win7 x64. My PC is running perfect. I tried to compose this evening with just one VST, Omnisphere with 4 channels and the ASIO meter spikes and I sometimes get hanging MIDI notes. I should be screaming fast with buffer settings as high as 256, but simple compositions are skipping and popping. Play 3 seemed to be ok, but I was only running one channel for a test. Hopefully I can figure it out, but something is clearly not right.
Todd Masten
www.toddmasten.com

Mikael

Post by Mikael »

Same problem here, very disturbing.

System will run fine at the beginning of my work. CPU usage is about 50-60%, Cubase VST meter shows around 75%, no spikes or crackles. I do live recordings of long durations. After some time into the recording, I get occasional spikes and crackles and their frequency does increase over time.

For me the symptoms first appeared 1 week ago when I started to test some Lexicon plugins which require Ilok authorization. I initially suspected that either the Ilok drivers or the plugins are the source of the problem. However, since I did upgrade from 6.0.5 to 6.5 at the same time, I cannot be sure.

When I would disable one of the plugins (i.e., Lexicon PCM Hall), the spikes would disappear instantly - but only for a while. Tried the same with removed plugin, and the spikes still happened, so it won't be the plugin.

Now I completeley removed Ilok drivers from my system and Ilok authorized plugins from the project to see whether it has anything to do with this phenomenon. I will report back middle of next week when I have new results.

Regards, Mikael
SW: C 9.5 /64 & Wavelab 9 on W10/64
DAW 1: DA-X Extreme Haswell-E Xeon E5-2680V3 12-core workstation
DAW 2: Dell Precision T5500 2 x Xeon X5690 12-core workstation
Audio: 4 x rme HDSPe / Multiface II, 3 x Octamic II, 1 x rme Fireface UC
Surface: 3 x Avid MC Mix, 1 x MC Transport
Plugins: Audioease, Lexicon, Neve Portico, Yamaha Vintage, SlateDigital, Izotope, Pianoteq etc.

HiFiTubeGuy

Post by HiFiTubeGuy »

I've also had a problem with spikes, even at 'idle'; with the transport stopped; CPU usage only 10-30%, memory usage about 30%, Asio meter 10-20% with overload indicator flashing intermittently (Cubase 6.0.5, Phenom IIx4 B55 processor, 4GB RAM, Tascam US2000 audio interface).

I've cured my problem by disabling my onboard audio controller in the BIOS. No more spikes or crackling.

Beater

Post by Beater »

Hi,

I struggled with ASIO spikes for about 2 months. The problem was solved when I disabled Hyper Threading and Intel Speed Stepping in BIOS. I also had problems with crackling when I played audio through Windows Media Player when Cubase was running. This was solved with legacy firewire drivers. I've activated Steinberg audio power scheme also. Everything is working great now.
Cubase Artist 6.0.5
Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 2600, 8GB RAM
M-Audio Firewire 410

Return to “Older Cubase versions”