RAM in 32bit Cubase on 64bit Win7 ?

I have 6GB ram on win7 64bit
If I use Cubase 32bit can the plug ins in cubase take advantage of all the installed 6GB ram?
I know that in 32bit cubase each plugin is restricted to 2GB ram, but what if plug in one goes up to 2gb and plugin 2 upto 2 gb and so on untill they all are together are using almost 6GB. is it possible? or will the total ram usage for all plugins will be 2GB?

On Windows 7 x64, and assuming there is a specific reason you want to stay with 32-bit Cubase (e.g. Rewire, or a 32-bit plugin that doesn’t behave well in 64-bit Cubase), then rather than wondering about such things you could just JBridge some 64-bit plugins and have the best of both worlds.

You can use JBridge from within 32-bit Cubase to run 64-bit plugins provided you’re on 64-bit Windows. Most large sample libraries now have players that are 64-bit. I’m assuming this is why you’re asking … apologies if I got it wrong.

I thought I read somewhere that 32 bit installation on a 64 bit OS can use 3.5 gb RAM.

I’m using jbridge. I’m asking this question because I want to ditch jbridge because I’m getting problems with Spectrasonics plugins through it.

With Win7-64 and 32-but cubase, cubase does have an upper limit. Theoretically that limit is 4GB, but I think as posted earlier it’s really something like 3.5.

That being said, the OS does not come out of that 3.5 (like it did in a 32-bit OS), so if your OS, drivers, other apps, etc take say 1.5 GB, then your using up to 5 GB of your 6 GB.

I don’t know what all you are running through JBridge (other than spectrasonics plugs), but you could offload those using jbridge and leave cubase RAM for the spectrasonic plugs.

Out of curiousity, which spectrasonic plugs are you having problems with?

Ron

I’m having problems with StylusRMX and Omnisphere.

I’m running StylusRMX, Omnisphere and Kontakt 4 through jBridge.
What do you mean “leave cubase ram for spectrasonics plugs”? Isn’t it better to use jbridge? that way each plug through jbridge can use up to 2GB ram not 3.5GB total through cubase. ?

This is true only through Jbridge. If you ditch Jbridge, CB + plugs will total till they hit 3.5 - 4G of ram.

I think what Ron was getting at was to take your Spectrasonics plugs out of Jbridge if you indeed were having problems with them within that app. That way they will use CBs ram which indeed won’t yield as much for you but then, you wouldn’t have the problems you had in Jbridge. You have to balance that equation.

So, without jbridge the total ram for plugins within cubase is 3.5gb, ok i get it.
what about with jbridge? does the total ram for cubase 32bit increase or those jbridged plugins have their own seperate limitations, if yes, than how much ram can each plugin use, and what total ram can all jbridged plugins use?

It is my understanding that total ram for Cubase is 3.5 either way. It’s just that your plugs get 2G allotment in addition to that till you reach however many Gs of ram you have.
Cubase is going to use whatever it takes out of the 3.5 and your plugs will take the remainder unless you bridge them with Jbridge. Then they are on their own up to 2G.

Yes - that’s what I was trying to say.

Also - do the plugs have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. If so did you try jbridging both versions?

Ron

Your VST plugins are going to run “IN PROCESS” with a single 32-bit executable, on a 64-bit emulated windows (WOW64). That means, the single Cubase.exe (or whatever name per the version you are running) process will only be able to consume 2GB of RAM for that single process, even on a 64-bit native operating system. If you load up tons of virtual instruments, that single 32-bit process will be bloated up to 2GB and then stop.

Upgrading to Cubase Studio 5 (now Artist 6), you’ll have a native 64-bit cubase executable which may theoretically consume much more virtual address space (RAM). I have just purchased the ugprade to Cubase Artist 6 for this exact reason.

I’m running:
Windows 7 64-bit
ASUS M2N-E SLI Mobo
4GB RAM
AMD CPU

Now…if only the eLicenser guys could figure out the Windows 7 64-bit drivers for the USB dongle…then I’d be happy.

As of right now…I’ve spent more time trying to get the SYNSOPOS issues resolved…I could have converted all of my projects over to ProTools. :frowning:

-mt

CB Artist 6 is a different animal. It is not a successor of CB Studio 5. It is actually a downgrade from Studio 5. SB won’t even yield that option. Studio 5 users are forced to upgrade to the full version if they are to upgrade at all.

Short Version Answer:
Install both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of your Spectrasonic VSTs and Kontakt 4 and ditch jBridge. Your problem should disappear.

Long Version Answer:
All of these plug-ins have both 32 bit and 64 bit versions. I have all the Spectrasonics VSTs and multiple Native Instruments VSTs (including Kontakt 4) from Komplete 7. I installed both 32 and 64 bit Cubase 5 (C5) on Win 7 64 bit. I only use 32 bit C5 when I need to use ReWire to sync Acid Pro or Reason with C5 (which is rare). Otherwise, I go with 64 bit to use the most of the 8 GB RAM on the system. The 32 bit version VSTs of the plug-ins in questions go in the 32 bit C5 VST folder and the 64 bit versions go in the 64 bit C5 VST folder. You shouldn’t have problems with the 32 bit versions of Spectrasonics plug-ins within 32 bit C5, hence, no need for jBridge. Plus, you really don’t need to use 32 bit C5 unless you’re ReWiring something or you’ve got a 32 bit only plug-in that doesn’t work in 64 bit C5 (some might not, but I don’t have a problem in 64 bit C5 with just the built-in VST Bridge for my 32 bit only VSTs).

Perhaps you have another problem or you only installed the 64 bit versions of your plug-ins and the Spectrasonics 64 bit versions aren’t happy in 32 bit Cubase. If that’s the case, install the 32 bit versions of your 64 bit VSTs for use in 32 bit Cubase (if you still need it) and your problem should be solved. You don’t need to do any math or calculate RAM, etc. and you can ditch jBridge.

Question for Everyone Using jBridge:
Is there a reason why people are still using jBridge if they have Cubase 5.5.2 or higher? I can see if they didn’t update or upgrade because VST Bridge wasn’t great in the beginning. But, I’m not having any problems with the built-in VST Bridge for my 32 bit only VSTs within 64 bit C5.5.2. I’m not trying to be “sarcastic”, I’m asking because I’d like to know if there’s some other benefit to jBridge that VST Bridge doesn’t already have. So, is there use for jBridge in recent versions of Cubase? I’m not familiar with the program besides hearing that it used to be helpful when VST Bridge was poor, but I never purchased it.

I’m don’t have many 32-bit VST2 plugins that I absolutely can’t replace … except one, which, in the most recent version works absolutely perfectly now with Cubase 6. The solution seems to have been a collaboration between Steinberg and the plugin developer, despite the fact that both vehemently denied it was their problem when initially contacted … almost two years ago.

In Steinberg’s defence, the VSTBridge seems to work fine in most cases … the most simple being e.g. Monologue and Embracer, which are both 32-bit VST 2.3 plugins, and bundled with Cubase. 3rd-party plugins that are developed using the same tools as Steinberg and using the VST 2.4 SDK seem to work fine as well.

There is however a huge amount of plugins developed using other means and it is these that seem to create the most problems. Those developed using Delphi will certainly have seen improvements with C5.5.2 and C6, but the SynthEdit-based ones will still be problematic, while others will run in Windows 7 only if you’re logged in as Administrator or with administrative privileges (not a good idea if you’re connected to the internet!).

My point? It’s worth checking again in the meantime whether there’s a 64-bit version of the plugins you need and if not, it still worth checking again whether the latest 32-bit version works with C5.5.2 and C6.

And above all … as pointed out by AAMedia: keep the 32-bit and 64-bit versions separate!