Why did Steinberg discontinue the CMC series? is something new on the way?

This section is about Steinberg's CMC controllers
lovegames

Why did Steinberg discontinue the CMC series? is something new on the way?

Post by lovegames » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:09 pm

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/a ... odels.html

Hopefully some new controllers are coming soon.

dr

Re: Why did Steinberg discontinue the CMC series? is something new on the way?

Post by dr » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:25 pm

hi - I mentioned this in another thread and you didn't believe me there...but I'll say it again.

SB have a very very patchy track record with hardware - I'm still using a cc121 and think it's (mainly) great BUT I wouldn't advise anyone to buy ANY SB hardware and expect good or long lived support.

You're fairly new around here (although post a heck of a lot !) so maybe you don't know the history of all the abandonware that Steinberg have come out with - we can wish the situation to be different but that doesn't change the facts.

PS - there is a hardware forum, best post this in there not in the cubase forum. You are the one who have been calling others out for this exact thing.

lovegames

Post by lovegames » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:40 pm

dr wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:25 pm
hi - I mentioned this in another thread and you didn't believe me there...but I'll say it again.

SB have a very very patchy track record with hardware - I'm still using a cc121 and think it's (mainly) great BUT I wouldn't advise anyone to buy ANY SB hardware and expect good or long lived support.

You're fairly new around here (although post a heck of a lot !) so maybe you don't know the history of all the abandonware that Steinberg have come out with - we can wish the situation to be different but that doesn't change the facts.

PS - there is a hardware forum, best post this in there not in the cubase forum. You are the one who have been calling others out for this exact thing.
Discontinuing/stop producing something isn't exactly uncomon... with any company ever?

Not really related to what you stated in the other thread.

dr

Post by dr » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:10 pm

viewtopic.php?f=285&t=180025&p=956675

I said
"steinberg don't have a good history with hardware - in general it's best to avoid"
I also said
"Their history of support on their range of hardware products has been patchy at best. I find it best to avoid them - and I advise others to do the same. And yes other companies can also be bad"
what point is inconsistent ?

you buy whatever you want - I don't actually care - but I'm gonna call it like I see it

....and this is the wrong forum for this thread :)

lovegames

Post by lovegames » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:48 pm

dr wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:10 pm
viewtopic.php?f=285&t=180025&p=956675

I said
"steinberg don't have a good history with hardware - in general it's best to avoid"
I also said
"Their history of support on their range of hardware products has been patchy at best. I find it best to avoid them - and I advise others to do the same. And yes other companies can also be bad"
what point is inconsistent ?

you buy whatever you want - I don't actually care - but I'm gonna call it like I see it

....and this is the wrong forum for this thread :)

First of all, *ping* off.

Secondly, I asked a question that you haven't technically answered, you've just restated your opinion and attached "told you so"

It's irrelevant because it's irrelevant. Your original point in the other thread was also irrelevant. My Novation 25 SL MkII also is not longer supported. Hardwares made prior to new OS's often end up discontinued. This does't necessarily provide evidence of Steinberg needing to be avoided? Tell me which audio company hasn't discontinued support of HW products? I pointed out bugs for my MOTU MIDI XT Express two years ago, of which is a product still manufactured, which hasn't been fixed.

Do you have an actual real answer for my question, or do you not?

Manike

Post by Manike » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:02 pm

I have to say I wouldn't buy Steinberg Hardware for the same reason.

I have old Motu equipment I bought 20 years ago that would still work if I could actually plug it in.
8-Core Trashcan Mac Pro : Catalina : Cubase10.5.12 : MOTU828x : Nektar P6 :
Macbook pro : Catalina
http://www.manikemusic.com

lovegames

Post by lovegames » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:03 pm

Manike wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:02 pm

I have old Motu equipment I bought 20 years ago that would still work if I could actually plug it in.
So the CMC controllers no longer work on Win10 or on Cubase 10.5 or both?

Elien

Post by Elien » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:21 pm

Strange that this leads to an emotional discussion.

Indeed, ever since i am working with cubase (last century... atari times) Steinberg was among the worst suppliers in the area of reasonable timespans of hardware support. I accept that they made some experiments on the market that obviously failed commercially - before they were bought by Yamaha. I do hope that the old problem is solved and the current - reportedly excellent - hardware will have a longer relevant life-span.

There are some excellent companies in that respect around - which is also partly an achievement of STEINBERG, because they keep supporting the hardware (MCU for example).

Having said all that: There are areas in the software as well that obviously did not match the market needs and were just experiments that never have been continued seriously. Examples: Generic Remote. MIdi devices (midi device editor especially).
Cubase 10.5 on Win 10 Pro 64 Bit, Asus X99-S mobo; Intel i7, Matrox C420 Multi Monitor Card, USB3-External Graphic card, 5 Monitors. RME RayDat. Presonus Firestudio, DigimaxFS, Art Tube Preamp, Line6 x3 pro, lexicon mx400, Headphone preamp, Digipatch Digital Patchbay, TCHelicon VoicePro. Yamaha HS80M plus Subwoofer, Behringer MS40. Euphonix MC Control V2; Euphonix MC Mix, Avid MCTransport AKai MPD18, Komplete Kontrol 61, Novation Zero SL MKII, Automap. Yamaha Motif XF8; Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors Edition, GPO, Garritan Jazz&Bigband, ARC 2.5 System, Jamstix, Various Applied Accoustic Instruments, Melodyne

Funkybot

Post by Funkybot » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:26 pm

My hope is this:

1. Steinberg came to the realization that they were effectively crippling Cubase to try and sell hardware controllers that weren't particularly great, so...

2. They discontinued the hardware controllers in advance of...

3. Updating the Remote Control features of Cubase to allow for more control with any MIDI device - greatly expanding the amount of hardware that works well with Cubase, while expanding Cubase's feature set, thus keeping it competitive with other modern DAWs

If you've ever used Studio One's Control Link functionality, or if you're up to date at what's happening on Reaper with the third-party CSI (Control Surface Integrator) plugin, you'll know that Cubase has fallen far behind in the remote control area. Crippling Cubase with 8 Quick Controls in order to sell CMC-QC's was a terrible strategy.

lovegames

Post by lovegames » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:33 pm

Elien wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:21 pm
Strange that this leads to an emotional discussion.

Indeed, ever since i am working with cubase (last century... atari times) Steinberg was among the worst suppliers in the area of reasonable timespans of hardware support. I accept that they made some experiments on the market that obviously failed commercially - before they were bought by Yamaha. I do hope that the old problem is solved and the current - reportedly excellent - hardware will have a longer relevant life-span.

There are some excellent companies in that respect around - which is also partly an achievement of STEINBERG, because they keep supporting the hardware (MCU for example).

Having said all that: There are areas in the software as well that obviously did not match the market needs and were just experiments that never have been continued seriously. Examples: Generic Remote. MIdi devices (midi device editor especially).
Every company that has been around long enough has had this story. Whether AD/DA companies, Protools/Digidesign, etc.

People have weird support expectations stuck in their timewarp, technology has exponentially moved faster and thus, hardware loses support quicker.

But hopefully they are announcing new stuff soon. The new AD/DA units seem above average.

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:43 pm

lovegames wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:03 pm
Manike wrote:

Both my CMC-AI & CMC-QC work fine on Win10 and C10.5 and are nice to use & I do so every day.

That said I also wouldn't buy a similar product from Steinberg today.

Why? Because they drop support - and not in some kind of all companies do that manner. More like announce the product, go to lunch, come back and it is discontinued. And maybe that would be OK as a one-off, but Steinberg has a long history of doing this over & over.

If you expect to really get an answer to your question, you're going to be disappointed. Anyone who has actual knowledge of the specifics either works for Steinberg or has signed a non-disclosure agreement. Either way Steinberg has typically in the past chosen not to discuss product plans and there is no reason to expect that will be changing.

My own speculation:
CMC were dropped because there wasn't much of a market for them - in part because of Steinberg's rep for not standing behind their more affordable hardware products.

Something new? Maybe but if I were betting real money it would be on "no" because after a series of failed attempts to enter this market Steinberg realizes it doesn't have the core competencies it takes to be successful. Especially since Korg seems to already own the cheap controller market.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

lovegames

Post by lovegames » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:13 pm

raino wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:43 pm
lovegames wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:03 pm
Manike wrote:

Something new? Maybe but if I were betting real money it would be on "no" because after a series of failed attempts to enter this market Steinberg realizes it doesn't have the core competencies it takes to be successful. Especially since Korg seems to already own the cheap controller market.
Yamaha

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:48 am

lovegames wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:13 pm

Yamaha

What is this even supposed to mean? :roll:
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

tryphon

Post by tryphon » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:54 am

I have a CH,a QC and a TP, all working perfectly with Cubase 10.5.11 on windows 10.
I bought them in 2014, one unit failed last year and bought a new unit at my local music store.
HP 4.10 GHz - 10Gb RAM - Windows 10 x64
Cubase 9.5 Pro, Nuendo 8, Cubase iC Pro
Focusrite 18i20 - Soundcraft M12 - Adam A77X - CMC: CH, QC, TP
- Arturia V6, UVI Falcon with all libraries

greggybud

Post by greggybud » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:05 am

raino wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:48 am
lovegames wrote:

Yamaha

I think it's supposed to mean Yamaha will never go where Houston has been?
Intel Core i9 7920X @ 2.90GHz Windows 10 64bit, Wavelab 9.5, latest Cubase version, 64 gig all drives SSD,s (Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050ti driving 2 34" LG ultra wides and 1 28" all @2560x1080) iCon QconPro, Metagrid, 4 MidiTimePiece's = 32in/outs,, UAD-2, NI, Waves, Arturia, and lots of hardware synthesizers most of them controlled by MidiQuest 11.

lovegames

Post by lovegames » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:59 am

raino wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:48 am
lovegames wrote:

Yamaha

It means you're leaving something out of your equation.

dr

Post by dr » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:25 am

I suspect lovegames is implying that Yamaha's hardware expertise would mean that SB would also be good at producing hardware. To put context to this - Yamaha bought SB in 2004 - most of the hardware came AFTER that date - so history tells us otherwise. In general it's very well built and thought through - it's just the general support/drivers/abandonware attitude that is the problem (IMO)

and I'd forgotten about Houston :shock:

lovegames

Post by lovegames » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:06 pm

dr wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:25 am
I suspect lovegames is implying that Yamaha's hardware expertise would mean that SB would also be good at producing hardware. To put context to this - Yamaha bought SB in 2004 - most of the hardware came AFTER that date - so history tells us otherwise. In general it's very well built and thought through - it's just the general support/drivers/abandonware attitude that is the problem (IMO)

and I'd forgotten about Houston :shock:
What specifically? No one was been able to name anything? I don't get it? What is different here than - any - other company? I've heard more horror stories about Maudio and other brands

dr

Post by dr » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:18 pm

lovegames wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:06 pm
What specifically? No one was been able to name anything?
Houston

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:21 pm

lovegames wrote:
[What specifically? No one was been able to name anything? I don't get it? What is different here than - any - other company? I've heard more horror stories about Maudio and other brands
We are telling you something quite specific, but you seem unwilling hear it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

horse, water, drink, can't
Last edited by raino on Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rodger

lovegames

Post by lovegames » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:23 pm

dr wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:18 pm
lovegames wrote:
What specifically? No one was been able to name anything?
Houston
One ancient thing? Made before Windows 7?

You realize what kind of computers people had to keep in order to retain their vintage SSL consoles automation system?

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:47 pm

lovegames wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:23 pm
raino wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:21 pm
lovegames wrote:
[What specifically? No one was been able to name anything? I don't get it? What is different here than - any - other company? I've heard more horror stories about Maudio and other brands
We are telling you something quite specific, but you seem unwilling hear it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You realize what kind of computers people had to keep in order to retain their vintage SSL consoles automation system?
Steinberg has NEVER made a hardware controller product that was a major success in the marketplace. They have made things that are well designed and engineered but did not sell well enough to be viable. Companies are good at different things. This ain't one of them for Steinberg.

Since not being successful in the marketplace seems to not be a good enough reason for you, I guess it's time to let you in on the real story. Avid hired a team of evil magicians to place a curse on Steinberg... I'll go on but first you need to swear you will not pass on what is about to be revealed
rodger

dr

Post by dr » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:48 pm

lovegames wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:23 pm

sigh - can't be bothered to argue

Incidentally, I notice you have been banned several times on this forum - what usernames did you use previously ? I'm curious.

dr

Post by dr » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:52 pm

incidentally - I mentioned earlier that I still use my CC121. It's a current product from Steinberg, great build quality............Still not 100% functional in Cubase 10.5. We've been promised a fix in March but who knows ?

lovegames

Post by lovegames » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:00 pm

dr wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:52 pm
incidentally - I mentioned earlier that I still use my CC121. It's a current product from Steinberg, great build quality............Still not 100% functional in Cubase 10.5. We've been promised a fix in March but who knows ?
And they are still updating the CMC series as well even though discontinued.

Houston was before Yamaha correct?

CMC was post Yamaha but potentially before or still in the process of amalgamating business and production.

Their primary focus first off would have been Nuage, which is very high quality and is being used in multi-million dollar facilities.

My guess is, we'll see a cross between Nuage and something like the Euphonix.

Return to “Steinberg CMC Series”