Is the CMC-PD worth buying?

This section is about Steinberg's CMC controllers
jono not bono

Is the CMC-PD worth buying?

Post by jono not bono » Wed May 14, 2014 12:19 pm

Howdy,

I currently own the TP, CH and AI and love them. Still getting used to the features and weaning myself away from the QWERTY keyboard shortcuts but now I'm thinking about buying the CMC-PD. I want to know whether its worth buying? I can imagine it being quite useful especially with Groove Agent se 4 but will it work well with, for example, BFD2? Are the pads sensitive enough? Any thoughts on the PD are very welcome!

Thanks for any help!

Jono
Please make me stop buying stuff.

BriHar

Re: Is the CMC-PD worth buying?

Post by BriHar » Wed May 14, 2014 1:27 pm

Can't answer your question regarding BFD2 specifically, but I don't see why it shouldn't; it's all midi. I have used it to trigger a physical E-drum set - not that it was particularly satisfying (as opposed to wailing away with a real set of sticks;) ). It is ideal for triggering samples of anything, and the browsing function is quite comfortable when searching them out.
As an aside however, when not being used as a trigger, it can be used as a panel of 16 programmable commands and/or macros!
"...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61."

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase Pro 8.5.15 - 64bit | Cubase AI8 | WaveLab 9.0.10 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Contour Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 14GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 10 Pro 64 Bit

Armadillosound

Post by Armadillosound » Wed May 14, 2014 7:20 pm

I use it with Microtonic. Should be absolutely fine with BFD. May just take a bit of setting up initially. I'm pleased with mine a nice little unit. Perfect for me as I don't have much space :)
Not sure if they are still available though, looks like the CMC series are being discontinued, which is a shame :(

jono not bono

Post by jono not bono » Thu May 15, 2014 12:25 am

BriHar wrote:As an aside however, when not being used as a trigger, it can be used as a panel of 16 programmable commands and/or macros!
This is great and I've decided I now must get one!

Armadillosound, thanks for your input. I have read on here that they may be discontinued but there are a few to be found on the internet so I'm gonna get one quick. Along with a QC (I'm really not interested in the FD units - unless someone can persuade me otherwise - I can't see the ribbon faders beating, say, an iPad))! I don't understand why they are being discontinued. They are very useful and for the money, amazing!

Armadillosound

Post by Armadillosound » Thu May 15, 2014 1:22 am

jono not bono wrote:
BriHar wrote:As an aside however, when not being used as a trigger, it can be used as a panel of 16 programmable commands and/or macros!
This is great and I've decided I now must get one!

Armadillosound, thanks for your input. I have read on here that they may be discontinued but there are a few to be found on the internet so I'm gonna get one quick. Along with a QC (I'm really not interested in the FD units - unless someone can persuade me otherwise - I can't see the ribbon faders beating, say, an iPad))! I don't understand why they are being discontinued. They are very useful and for the money, amazing!
I have the QC and I recommend it :)

jono not bono

Post by jono not bono » Fri May 16, 2014 11:36 am

I've just ordered a PD and managed to buy one new and for £65! This is great considering Steinberg officially announced that they are no longer manufacturing the CMC controller range anymore. Hopefully I can find a QC next week (when I have the money)! :)

Return to “Steinberg CMC Series”