Unavailability of CMC controllers

This section is about Steinberg's CMC controllers
Stefan Schreiber

Unavailability of CMC controllers

Post by Stefan Schreiber » Thu May 15, 2014 2:59 pm

Dear customers,

Some of you already noticed that the CMC controllers haven't been available through all channels.

Steinberg announces that the CMC controller series will no longer be available in Europe from now on.

Manufacturing of the CMC hardware has ceased.

All six CMC controllers may still be found at individual retail stores but the items have gone completely out of stock at Steinberg warehouses.

Availability however may differ in other non-European regions, so please check with your local distributor and dealer.

Steinberg will continue to offer support and maintenance for the CMC products.

Best regards,
Stefan Schreiber
Stefan Schreiber - Product Marketing Manager Hardware
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, SoundCloud and Google+!

BriHar

Re: Unavailability of CMC controllers

Post by BriHar » Thu May 15, 2014 3:25 pm

Thank you for finally offering a clear, official statement; sad though it is.

Regarding support & maintenance, will we see AI controllability for the remaining Cubase control room controls etc. (not just a CMC issue), or is this a Cubase issue?
"...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61."

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase Pro 8.5.15 - 64bit | Cubase AI8 | WaveLab 9.0.10 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Contour Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 14GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 10 Pro 64 Bit

Lundin

Post by Lundin » Thu May 15, 2014 4:17 pm

Wow, this wasn't really satisfying to hear.
Will the SDK be released for developers to add functionality? These units feel far from what they could have been..

jono not bono

Post by jono not bono » Thu May 15, 2014 10:35 pm

Stefan Schreiber wrote:Dear customers,

Why?
Please make me stop buying stuff.

istokblues

Post by istokblues » Sat May 17, 2014 12:20 pm

DISAPPOINTED !!!

Maybe SDK for customers ? Or maybe one update before it's over ?
istok

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Sat May 17, 2014 10:32 pm

istokblues wrote:DISAPPOINTED !!!

Maybe SDK for customers ? Or maybe one update before it's over ?
Stefan Schreiber wrote:Steinberg will continue to offer support and maintenance for the CMC products.
Cubase Pro, Nuendo, and Dorico Pro; latest versions available.
Windows Pro 10 | i7-3770k | GA-77x-UD5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | MOTU Ultralite mk3 hybrid
Macbook Pro 2011 | Mac OS 10.11

mbr

Post by mbr » Sat May 17, 2014 10:34 pm

Stefan Schreiber wrote:Dear customers,

Some of you already noticed that the CMC controllers haven't been available through all channels.

Steinberg announces that the CMC controller series will no longer be available in Europe from now on.

All six CMC controllers may still be found at individual retail stores but the items have gone completely out of stock at Steinberg warehouses.

Availability however may differ in other non-European regions, so please check with your local distributor and dealer.

Steinberg will continue to offer support and maintenance for the CMC products.

Best regards,
Stefan Schreiber

Are you developing a new alternative ?
Cubase 9.5 Recordings done @ 96 kHz / 64 Bit )

Win 7 64-bit SP1 ; i7 Intel @3.50 Hz ; 32 Gigs RAM
256 GB SSD OS ; 1 TB SSD for Recording ; 1 TB SSD for Sample Streaming

Soundcard - O1V96i
Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V1.9.11 Firmware V1.02 Editor V1.0

UAD-2 (OCTO) ; CMC ( FD, CH, PD, TP, AI & QC )
Many hardware synths and sample libraries ; Millennia ; Midisport 8/8 ; BIG BEN Apogee

Forum member (old forums) since 2003

"The internet is a source of infinite information; the vast majority of which happens to be wrong"

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Wed May 28, 2014 9:22 pm

Well I just completed my collection of CMC controllers and it's a great setup. Sucks to have just invested a bunch of money to find out they've been discontinued. If the next version of Cubase does not support the CMC controllers you can expect me to be a discontinued customer, you wont get any more money or support from me. I've been updating since SX days and I guess it will be a good reason for me to get off the Cubase wagon if you should decide to stop support my new controller setup.
OS 10.10 iMac (mid 2012) i5, 16gb ram, Scarlett 18i20, Cubase 8.0.5 64bit. CMC-TP, CMC-CH, CMC-QC, CMC-AI, CMC-PD

Armadillosound

Post by Armadillosound » Wed May 28, 2014 10:08 pm

Airyck wrote:Well I just completed my collection of CMC controllers and it's a great setup. Sucks to have just invested a bunch of money to find out they've been discontinued. If the next version of Cubase does not support the CMC controllers you can expect me to be a discontinued customer, you wont get any more money or support from me. I've been updating since SX days and I guess it will be a good reason for me to get off the Cubase wagon if you should decide to stop support my new controller setup.
That's pretty much how I feel :(
If Steinberg release a new controller or controllers, who the hell is going to buy them?
I can't see me buying any Steinberg hardware in the future if it gets ditched that quickly.
Not impressed :evil:

Benutzername

Post by Benutzername » Thu May 29, 2014 10:37 pm

What is the state of the CC121? Discontinued too or just abandoned?

mustech221

Post by mustech221 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:29 am

Why could this not have been admitted back in February when this point was raised? 3 whole months!

BriHar

Post by BriHar » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:08 pm

In all fairness, it is understandable that Hardware will be superceded. Many major studios use consoles which haven't been in production for years - granted there's a bit of a difference, but the main point is, one buys a controller based on function and personal comfort. End of production doesn't mean they will no longer work, but it does invoke a certain amount of insecurity that they will no longer be supported with some future version of the DAW.
The key issues are service and repair which will still be available, and a hope that future versions of the software (Cubase, WL, etc.) will continue to offer support for these controllers.
"...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61."

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase Pro 8.5.15 - 64bit | Cubase AI8 | WaveLab 9.0.10 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Contour Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 14GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 10 Pro 64 Bit

mustech221

Post by mustech221 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:46 pm

In all fairness, they should have been more up front about the situation and in all fairness these controllers should have had more of a life than they have had. i was going to invest in these units for The University of York, UK, for our studio's and post production back in February, but fortunately were put off by our supplier saying they had been discontinued. Trying to find out if this was true has taken 3 months!

folkfreak

Post by folkfreak » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:18 pm

Absolute typical Steinberg-Hardware behaviour. Just the thing thy promised would not come up again with Yamaha. Not surprised at all.
And at first insisting that it is not true is typical as well. I have not forgotten that they insisted that the final SX3 update would be coming still a few days before thy told us that they scrapped the update...

Milocraft

Post by Milocraft » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:19 pm

I was just about to buy some of these but I am glad I did some research first. I really don't want to invest into a discontinued line of hardware. I agree with most of the comments above. I am definitely worried about buying Steinberg hardware in the future. It's like I tell my kids, everything you do builds a reputation and you have to work hard to change your reputation. Steinberg has a lot of work ahead of them to repair their reputation and build trust in the hardware department.

I would like to know what controllers Steinberg recommends. I looked at the M-audio Axiom but that keyboard is plagued with frequent crashes and poor support. Novation has a very old solution with their Impulse line. I suspect they are about to release a new line of keyboard/controller. The Maschine 2 seems to be an option.

Does anyone here have a good suggestion of a controller for cubase?
Think Epic!

Home Studio 87

Post by Home Studio 87 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:14 pm

D-Touch for Cubase in one month multitouch finaly for Cubase !
Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI / Intel Corei7 6800k / 32 Go DDR4 / 4x SSD / Win 10 Pro x64 / UAD Apollo Twin USB / UAD2 Satellite Octo USB / UAD2 Octo PCIe / Cubase Pro 9.5 x64 / VEP6 / D-Touch Cubase / Console 1 / CMC Controllers / iPad 2&3 Lemur / Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 /

uarte

Post by uarte » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:44 pm

This is very disappointing to find out that the CMC controllers are discontinued. I understand products sometimes fail to meet sales expectations, and we can't assume every Steinberg product will be a financial success. But they need to deliver on long-term support!

Even though Steinberg promises support (for how long???), the product life cycle was WAY too short on this, and I'm honestly shocked. I own a CC121 which I find to be an excellent controller, and I just ordered some CMC controllers to augment the CC121 and needless to say, they are going to be returned immediately. I won't even bother opening the packages. Very disappointing.

I do fear this may be a return to Steinberg's old ways, and I don't want to take the chance of integrating something into my workflow only to find driver support to be gone soon too.

I hope this is not a sign of things to come with Steinberg. I know all about Steinberg's past (I lived through an unfortunate phase of it), and I thought that was all done with since the Yamaha purchase. But if Steinberg is going to start playing these games again, I can assure Steinberg right now, I will NEVER buy another piece of Steinberg hardware again, and I will be VERY vocal to my colleagues, peers and listeners against it as well. And I've bought and recommended a lot over the years -- from the MR series to the CC121 to the UR series and so on, to the digital mixer integration with Yamaha, etc., to even a recent UR22 for my son. I will now think twice before I put another dollar on Steinberg hardware.

And I'll add to that as well so I can be crystal clear about how I feel about Steinberg's previous reputation coming back -- that if Steinberg starts doing the same garbage it did back in the SX3 days with software too, I will dump Steinberg completely in a heartbeat. There are way too many other good DAWs on the market and I own many of them. I prefer to use Cubase right now as my primary composing tool, but if Steinberg goes back to the old ways, I can and will switch, and let my colleagues and listeners know about it. Steinberg has come a long way since the SX3 (and earlier) days of broken promises and dropped products before joining Yamaha... but if Steinberg returns to those old patterns, I will drop Steinberg like a dead rat.

I guess the memory of what happened years ago is still vivid enough for me, I won't deal with a company like that again.

I just hope Steinberg doesn't do that. This CMC product cancellation could be just a small course correction... and I sure hope it doesn't signal a larger problem.

And to prove their good will and honesty from Stefan's statement given above (in OP), Steinberg had better come through and support the CMC controllers for a long, long time. I expect Cubase 9 and 10 to support the CMC controllers, and at least Windows 9 and Mac OSX 10.10, and 10.11. If Steinberg at least upholds that for the CMC controllers, they will have proven themselves reliable as far as software driver support goes. But if they cancel driver support for the CMC controllers before then, I think the writing is on the wall.

Bummed and disappointed. Steinberg, I understand sometimes some product lines don't work out well... but I hope you are at least listening about long-term driver support! Please make sure you prove this is not a return to your old patterns!

rtorstrick

Post by rtorstrick » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:48 pm

This is just another typical example of the Yamaha story. I bought a KX8 keyboard when they were first announced. That keyboard turned out to have been on the market for less than 1 year before being discontinued. Mine still works great, however, and the special Cubase functions built into the keyboard still work properly several versions later.

My 01x/i88x combination was a different story, but an instructive one. These pieces used the ill-fated mLAN concept from Yamaha, which was great, and worked well in my XP 32 bit system. When I bought, Yamaha promised 64 bit drivers would be available sometime in the future. This was later abandoned by Yamaha. They announced the end of development some time short of producing a driver for Vista 64 bit systems.

There were many unhappy 01x users at this juncture, but Yamaha did make an adjustment. They offered a customer loyalty credit for 01x/i88x owners that allowed us to replace our hardware with the newly announced MR series units for half the retail price. While we could have hoped for an even better deal, it was still an effort that they didn't legally have to do, but that took some of the sting out of moving on. The point is, when the end of support came, they made an allowance.

I have no doubt that the CMC units will continue to work with Cubase for some time to come.
Windows 10
Cubase 9.5.30, Halion 6.1.15, Wavelab 9.5.35, Dorico 2.
Intel Core i7, 16 Gb RAM, ASUS Z97-A mobo, 256 Gb SATA SSD system drive, 2x2TB SATA media drives,
G-Drive 3TB USB 3 drive.
Steinberg UR-RT 2, Steinberg MR816csx, Yamaha KX8, CC121, UAD-2 Duo (Pcie)

Airyck

Post by Airyck » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:43 pm

It takes a long time to build trust and only a moment to break it.... Here's looking at you Steinberg, I'm going to keep working with my CMC collection, I hope it's not a wasted effort.
OS 10.10 iMac (mid 2012) i5, 16gb ram, Scarlett 18i20, Cubase 8.0.5 64bit. CMC-TP, CMC-CH, CMC-QC, CMC-AI, CMC-PD

guitargodgt

Post by guitargodgt » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:31 am

Massively disappointed with this. Not surprised that Steinberg would pull this though.

cubace

Post by cubace » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:21 pm

Yamaha is a Japanese company. This is typically Japanese product strategy. Hit and run. To bad that steinberg cant stop yamaha to ruin their brand.

TheNavigator

Post by TheNavigator » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:40 pm

This is not a big loss, believe me. ;-)

lukasbrooklyn

Post by lukasbrooklyn » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:55 pm

the design was obsolete at the point of originally releasing them already, but it still sucks for those who'd bought them. anything driven by software however is bound to be left behind eventually... that's why investing in old hardware rocks :]
system// i7 4930k, w7 x64, c7.5.4, (c8)
audio// RME HDSP, SSL duende, audeze lcd-2, klein&hummel o300, adam s2x, lavry DA, avantone mixcubes, EL Fatso ...

http://www.lukasturza.com // http://www.snapmastering.com // music production / mixing / mastering [hybris, upbeats, noisia, rem koolhaas, czech television, havas, ogilvy, ...]

cubendo supercharged workflow ideas/threads of possible interest:
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=63450
http://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtop ... 81&t=38182
my supercharged workflow videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ellGhSdmXfk

cubace

Post by cubace » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:04 pm

TheNavigator wrote:This is not a big loss, believe me. ;-)
A far better idea than cc121 at least. I hope for a new line with cubase 8. But I guess they never learn.

TheNavigator

Post by TheNavigator » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:10 am

cubace wrote:
TheNavigator wrote:This is not a big loss, believe me. ;-)
A far better idea than cc121 at least. I hope for a new line with cubase 8. But I guess they never learn.
Steinberg should look at Avid, not at Toys 'r us, when doing controllers.

Return to “Steinberg CMC Series”