Playing only selected notes?

Is there a way to play a single staff of an instrument? Or play just a single voice? Or, more generally, just some selected notes, but not others?
For example, in the “Au Tombeau De Rachmaninoff” sample project, I wanted to listen to the treble staff only, or to voice 1 only (which also includes some notes in the bass staff). I was able to filter to select just the notes I want, but playing back still played all the notes, not just the selected ones.

Thanks,
Dan

Hi Dan.
Select more than one note of an instrument (might be two or three notes, or a note and a tie…) and press p : this soloes the instrument. Select notes from different instruments and press p, those instruments are soloed. I do not think you can listen to a staff of a grand staff instrument, since both staves are considered by Dorico as one instrument.

Another option, if you want something a bit more “sticky” than being simply based on what’s selected, is to use Alt+S (the key command for Play > Solo Selected Instruments), which you can undo with Shift+Alt+S (Play > Deactivate All Solo States).

But I’m not interested in soloing an entire instrument/s… I’m interested in soloing a voice/staff/some specific selected notes, with everything else muted.

That’s not possible to do, unfortunately.

You could perhaps select a region, filter to select only a particular voice, and mute those notes in the properties panel. Or select everything in one staff or the other of a piano score, and mute that.

In that case I’m requesting this feature :slight_smile:
Staff may be a bit specific, but I think soloing a voice/set of voices/selected notes could have very common use.

1 Like

I found this useful, thanks! Along with the tip about shift-space for repeating playing of the same part, taken from https://blog.dorico.com/2018/02/dorico-1-2-10-released-system-dividers-wings-repeats/:

you can use Space (to start playback from the playhead position) or Shift+Space (to restart playback from the last start position) and only those instruments will be played back.